Thread: I Think I Noticed a Change in Our Defense

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default I Think I Noticed a Change in Our Defense

But... I'm not really sure. I'm recovering from the flu so my focus hasn't been so great.

Anyway, last night against the Pistons, I noticed that the Pacers weren't trapping the pick and roll.

I'm not sure if they just were doing it less or not at all but I don't remember them trapping the pick and roll dribbler at all last night. The defender either went over or under the pick and a couple of times they switched.

That's a wonderful adjustment. Sure you run the risk of giving up an open jumper to the dribbler but the way the Pacers have been getting killed with the pick and roll before, (they'd trap the dribbler leaving the pick setter to roll to the basket wide open... a nearby Pacers defender would have to leave his man to cover this cutter and then everyone is scrambling and out of position and BOOM they either get a dunk from the cutter or someone pops open for a 3 in the corner) I think this is a better strategy for the personnel on this team.

Anyone else notice this?
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Default Re: I Think I Noticed a Change in Our Defense

I didn't really notice it. They do make slight adjustments from game to game depending on the opponent and with Sheed, Dice who are such good outside shooters - they probably just decided to hedge instead of trap. (you can't do that against players like Kobe, Lebron, Paul) - or evidently Stuckey either now.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I say they need to hedge more. This whole thing on protect the paint is causing our defenders to shade more and leave shooters open. With Foster and Granger hedging they get back quicker to their own man. But if a perimeter defender traps, none of our front court players rotate quick enough to the open man.

I would rather have an off balance paint shot then an uncontested three or jump shot.

What I remember was the dribbler coming off the pick on the wing. Then a Pacer would leave his man and come up from the lane (usually Murphy) and trap the dribbler near the baseline. At the same time the defensive player covering the pick setter would move down and cover Murphy's man.

The dribbler was passing back to the pick setter for a wide open jump shot, but it was preventing penetration and at least last night, the pick setter was missing.

What do you think - does that sound right?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by nerveghost View Post
    What I remember was the dribbler coming off the pick on the wing. Then a Pacer would leave his man and come up from the lane (usually Murphy) and trap the dribbler near the baseline. At the same time the defensive player covering the pick setter would move down and cover Murphy's man.

The dribbler was passing back to the pick setter for a wide open jump shot, but it was preventing penetration and at least last night, the pick setter was missing.

What do you think - does that sound right?
    Yeah, I do remember that. It seemed to be pretty effective to because in past games I think the Pacers have given up the baseline too often. The baseline is an excellent place to trap the dribbler because the out of bounds line is like a third defender.
    I don't think they trapped much at all up top and although that led to Stuckey and Iverson driving the lane on us we were able to contest those shots better and we even picked up a couple of charges. Since our bigs are a little slow footed I think this was much more effective because they didn't have to completely leave their man to trap.

Overall it just seemed like they made an effort to stay with their man more last night than in games past. Whatever they changed, they should keep that up.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

A lot more vets last night - it makes a difference having Ford and Dunleavy on the floor as opposed to Hibbert and Rush. Vets just play smarter.

I noticed we got butchered at the rim late in the fourth quarter. We need a shot blocker so bad...