View Poll Results: Do you think the pacers should make a run for Tmac? and who can we trade for him?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

9 17.31%
  • no

43 82.69%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Source: Yao wants McGrady traded

Banned

Default Source: Yao wants McGrady traded

The Daily Dose: Houston grows weary of waiting on T-Mac
    By David Aldridge, TNT analyst
    Posted Jan 13 2009 6:55PM
    http://www.nba.com/2009/news/feature...309/index.html

A lot of times, one win is all you need to forget your troubles in the NBA. Two and you're rolling. Three, and it's, "Who dares to play us in the first round?"

But there are also times when a win streak is only a mirage, wet soap covering up hidden ugliness inside the window.

This is Houston. And, yes, they have a problem. (God, I hate using that old, tired, trite saying. Please, help me come up with another one. Like, "Houston, why didn't they base a high-ratings series on your town?" Or, "Houston, what do you do with the Astrodome these days?" Anything new would be greatly appreciated.)

The Rockets' recent uptick in play may have camouflaged their issues to those who aren't paying attention. But a season that began with such promise in the 713 is rapidly deteriorating. You get a gold star if you suspect Tracy McGrady is at the center of it all.

After limping and gimping around on his left knee through December, McGrady was put on a two- to three-week rehab assignment on Monday to improve his conditioning. "Conditioning" was the word the team used, deliberately so.

Now, in sports, you can be conditioning to rehabilitate a surgically-repaired part -- like, "Gilbert Arenas is still conditioning his knee." Or, there's conditioning when you're not in shape -- like, "David Aldridge is conditioning, and we hope he'll be able to finish the mile-and-a-half run sometime in the next decade."

So, which is it with McGrady?

"He's conditioning," Rockets GM Daryl Morey said Tuesday. "Tracy said it himself. He wants to do his off-season conditioning program. So that's what he's doing."

That's great. Except ... it's not the offseason.

"He couldn't do it in the offseason because of the (knee) surgery," Morey said.

If this were someone else, it probably wouldn't be that big of a deal. But it's McGrady, who disclosed on the Rockets' media day, four months after his May knee surgery, that the knee was about "75, 80 percent," and also said he would probably need shoulder surgery after the '08-09 season was over, despite having had that cleaned out in the offseason, too.

Hence, no offseason conditioning program.

The Rockets are putting a positive spin on this, but Waiting for Tracy is a play that nobody in Houston wants to see anymore -- up to and including the big man, Yao Ming.

"They don't speak," an extremely plugged-in person tells me. "And Yao wants him out."

That's not likely this season, as McGrady's $20.3 million is toxic to too many teams' luxury tax plans. Next summer, though, when McGrady will have an expiring, $22.4 million contract, teams may well circle the Rockets looking to make a deal.

It's not personal between Yao and McGrady. They like one another. But Yao's frustration is real. And Yao is not the only person that's grown tired of McGrady's self-diagnosis, his up-to-the-last-minute decisions on whether he'll play or not. This isn't questioning his toughness; McGrady took a bunch of pain-killing shots just to get through the first round of the playoffs. And it's unfair of anyone to judge McGrady on his ability to play well in pain; some can, some can't. Ron Artest wanted to keep playing on what the team is now calling a "stress reaction" in his ankle after gutting it out for a month, but he's been shut down for a week to 10 days.

And it's not McGrady's fault that Artest is hurt, just as Shane Battier has been hurt most of the season, or that these Rockets -- who were so resilient last season in winning 22 straight without Yao for a good chunk of that streak -- haven't shown much of that resolve.

But the sad irony is that McGrady has become Grant Hill, his former Orlando teammate who suffered through injury after injury after signing a huge, $93 million contract -- a physical deterioration that wore on McGrady's nerves as one Magic season after another was torched because of another Hill operation.

One veteran scout who worked a Rockets game recently was shocked by the deterioration in the still-29-year-old McGrady's game.

"I thought to myself, 'My God, he's old,'" the scout said. "It was amazing."

You need to know who you can count on, and the Rockets have no idea if they can count on McGrady anymore. When Coach Rick Adelman pointed out the elephant in the room late last week, the team had to act.

"The in-and-out was affecting the team," Morey said. "Rick wanted to put a definitive plan in place."

Morey allowed that there's "a lot of frustration" concerning McGrady.

"Everyone wants him to be where we know what he is capable of doing," Morey said. "I mean, he basically kept us in the Utah series (last year) ... both he and Ron were trying to fight their way through, probably coming back before they should. We were OK with that (before) because the doctors said they couldn't hurt it any more, which is still the case."

In the meantime, there's still a season going on, and the Rockets, seventh in the West entering play Tuesday, still have a role to play. Maybe McGrady still does, too, if his knee comes around. During training camp, McGrady said his doctors put full recovery from the May surgery at six months, which should have had him full strength in December. Maybe three weeks of offseason conditioning are what McGrady needs.

If not ...

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it," Morey said.

Default Re: Source: Yao wants McGrady traded

I don't see why anyone would want T-Mac, guy is just never healthy. Chronic back problems, among other things.

Now, hang on a second. Yao, who has missed 35% of his team's games over the past three years want McGrady, who has missed 25% of his team's games in the same time period, out because McGrady's missing games?

I'm not saying that McGrady is innocent, or that I don't understand the frustration from the Rockets. I'm just saying that I don't know that Yao is exactly standing on the moral high ground here.

Banned

I would send Dunleavy, rasho and filler for him, Dunleavy contract runs for 3 more years when Tmac is only for two, who knows,the guy could be the second option with Danny improving every year, if I was the pacers I would take a look.

T-Mack is actually one problem we luckily avoided several years ago. And now we have a better small forward them him.

The only Pacer I would want to trade for him is Tinsley and that doesn't work.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see why anyone would want T-Mac, guy is just never healthy. Chronic back problems, among other things.
    The same was kind of said of JO. There's always a sucker out there for that eternal "expiring contract" everyone is looking for.
    The Knicks have Marbury's outrageous contract that could almost go straight up.

streets ahead

the knicks might jump all over this if they can dump curry in the process.

Mood

Let's get him. He is a PR dream.

>_<

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    the knicks might jump all over this if they can dump curry in the process.
    When Yao gets hurt do you think that could happen?

I would give up Tinsley, Diener, & Murphy

For him & Von Wafer

Houston might not but I would as Larry Bird.

Mood

That trade is not even feasible. Our trash (in comparison folks) for their past treasure and their future treasure. Von would replace TMac if he was traded.

Banned

detroit offered Hamilton and wallace for him last year and houston said not.. I would do it if houston get some of the big contracts. Murphy, Dunleavy,Tinsley or foster in return. the pacers starters would look like this
    Pg: TJ
    Sg: Tmac
    Sf: Danny
    Pf : Mc roberts
    C: Hibbert
    Last edited by vnzla81; 01-14-2009 at 12:23 PM.

McGrady? Didn't you guys have your fill of overpaid stars when JO was on the team? I'd consider offering them the traditional poo-poo platter of Rasho, Daniels, and some other filler but they'd probably laugh.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Houston would be smart to put TMac on the shelf every year until the last 25 games of the season then let him gear up for the playoffs. Use the Bob Sanders method and just put him our for meaningful games.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We don't have anything to get him with.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo

Ignoring that there is very little chance that the Pacers could actually get TMac......let's focus on the story itself.

To support what count55 has pretty much said......Yao ( the other Franchise Player on this team ) is as much culpable of being injured ( IF NOT as injured ) as TMac has been over the last 3 seasons...which has had a direct affect on the Rockets record. The only difference is that the Rockets don't have a real adequate replacement in the lineup on the offensive end for Yao ( Dikembe or Scola ) that they do with TMac ( Battier and Artest...both of which has missed at least 1/3 of the games this season ).

I get the sense that TMac is at the point in his career much like Ray Allen was with the Sonics before he was traded to the Celtics. He's still a top talent in the league that can be a major factor on the team more often then not but not one that is good enough ( due to age, health and "wear and tear" ) to carry a team on his own. If he was ever traded to some team in the next 2 seasons......I can see some team going after TMac as a 2nd All-Star to add to some other Franchise Player as a "final piece" for some Championsip push ( much like what Ainge did for the Celtics ).

But realistically.....the Rockets are in the same boat as we are......"here and there" injuries to the primary 4 key players ( Yao, Battier, TMac and Artest ) at various times throughout the season has hindered their ability to put together a consistent lineup and therefore show what they are truly capable of. Just like the Pacers, the Rockets FO really shouldn't consider making any major moves until they can see how a healthy lineup with the key players looks for a full month. On paper; a consistent rotation of Yao, Artest, TMac, Battier, Alston, Scola, Landry and whatever bench they have is a pretty solid lineup that could take them into the 2nd round if not Conference Finals ( if they are lucky ).

If this story has any legs and that Yao has voiced some concern regarding TMac, then I wouldn't be surprised if any such comments are grown more from frustration then any true desire to move him.
    Last edited by CableKC; 01-14-2009 at 01:07 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    We don't have anything to get him with.
    We do, just not anymore than other teams. Expirings, picks, and prospects we have now.

I'd take him for Tinsley, Murphy, and filler

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    A lot of times, one win is all you need to forget your troubles in the NBA. Two and you're rolling. Three, and it's, "Who dares to play us in the first round?"
    Heh. This is so true.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

hes too injured now. I wouldnt want him now
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Eindar View Post
    I'd take him for Tinsley, Murphy, and filler
    you would need to ad somebody that is going to fill Tmac place, like Dunleavy an expiring in rasho or marquis plus draft pick, I would take him over Dunleavy all they long
    Last edited by vnzla81; 01-14-2009 at 01:24 PM.

Mood

For McGrady, I would send Quis or Rasho. I really think I would...

Call me crazy...

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    For McGrady, I would send Quis and Rasho. I really think I would...

Call me crazy...
    I would too. can you imagine Danny and Tmac in the same team?

They play the same position, and if tmac doesn't work with Yao, what makes you think he would work with Danny?

Yeah, Granger on the court playing and T-Mac not on the court with an injury. I've seen enough of that over the last 4 years in JO, Tinsley, Daniels, and Dunleavy to not want to see it continue. No thanx pass!