Thread: It's Official: Tony Dungy Leaving the Colts

Default It's Official: Tony Dungy Leaving the Colts

By Mike Chappell
    Posted: January 12, 2009
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...RTS03/90112023

Live video at 5 p.m.: Watch IndyStar.com today for coverage of Tony Dungy's news conference.

Tony Dungy has decided to retire after seven record-setting seasons with the Indianapolis Colts, a source within the organization said. He will be succeeded by associate head coach Jim Caldwell.

Dungy informed owner Jim Irsay of his decision this weekend after discussing it with his wife, Lauren, and family. He had contemplated retirement at the end of the past several seasons, but always decided to return.

Not this time.

Dungy, 53, walks away as the most successful coach in Colts history with an overall record of 92-33, including playoffs. He directed the team into the postseason in each of his seven seasons, highlighted by him becoming the first black coach to win a Super Bowl when Indy defeated the Chicago Bears 29-17 after the 2006 season.

The Colts’ latest playoff trip ended Jan. 3 with an overtime loss at San Diego, Indy’s second straight playoff-opening loss to the Chargers.

Including his stint with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Dungy is the only coach since the 1970 NFL/AFL merger to direct a team into the playoffs in 10 consecutive seasons.

Caldwell, 53, has been in line to succeed Dungy since he was promoted to associate head coach 12 months ago.

Thanks for the memories, Tony. Hard to say goodbye to such an honorable man, but the timing seems right.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Red face Re: It's Official: Tony Dungy Leaving the Colts

well, i don't know if it's been mentioned already but, there is at least 1 thing i do like about caldwell already. he fired the special teams coach.
    so even though i wasn't thrilled about him be given the job, at least he was willing to do something dungy wouldn't- fire the useless special teams coach!

Mood

Default Re: It's Official: Tony Dungy Leaving the Colts

I like the move myself. Caldwell has bided his time and is ready for this phase in his career. I'm just saying we should give the guy a chance.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a glimmer of hope for Caldwell now since he gave the special teams coach the axe.

I like that he basically said he will get fired up. Maybe we can win a couple with Caldwell.