Results 1 to 24 of 24

Thread: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

  1. #1
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    Would you vote for him or not. (If you could)

  2. #2
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,775

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    Yes.

  3. #3
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    I would.

  4. #4
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,098

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    Hell no....

    I'm curious as to why you actually would.

  5. #5
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,301

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    Nope.

    When we start electing cheaters to the HoF, we set a dangerous precedent.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    Should have made a poll. I'd vote for him. The steroid issue is a cloud hanging over all of baseball for a 30-year period. I don't think there's a single player you can take from that time and say with any certainty that he wasn't using something. McGuire got a lot of pub over the deal but there sure were a bunch of others. You keep him out based on that and you're also keeping out Barry Bonds and Roger Clements when their names come up.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  7. #7
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,775

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Should have made a poll. I'd vote for him. The steroid issue is a cloud hanging over all of baseball for a 30-year period. I don't think there's a single player you can take from that time and say with any certainty that he wasn't using something. McGuire got a lot of pub over the deal but there sure were a bunch of others. You keep him out based on that and you're also keeping out Barry Bonds and Roger Clements when their names come up.
    My thoughts exactly.

    The entire era is tainted. Sure big Mac was probably roided up, but its more than likely that a lot of the pitchers throwing to him.

    No one is safe from suspicion in this era. Just because there isn't evidence on some big stars doesn't mean that they weren't using. It might just mean that they were damn good at covering it up (and didn't have witch hunts after them).

  8. #8
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope.

    When we start electing cheaters to the HoF, we set a dangerous precedent.
    What do you mean "start"?

  9. #9
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    16,775

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nope.

    When we start electing cheaters to the HoF, we set a dangerous precedent.
    You mean like Gaylord Perry, who admitted to doctoring balls his entire career?

    He was elected to the hall in 1991.

    Cheating has been a part of baseball since the game began. Steroids are merely a more scientifically enhanced version of cheating, but their impact on an actual game is no worse IMO than a pitcher doctoring balls. Both give someone an unfair advantage.

  10. #10
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,098

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You keep him out based on that and you're also keeping out Barry Bonds and Roger Clements when their names come up.
    You say that, like it's a BAD thing.

    Pete Rose isn't even in the HoF, and he never bet on baseball until he was a manager, and still claims he never bet against the Reds.

    How in the hell is he never allowed in, yet they are. And as far as Gaylord Perry, he shouldn't be in as well. That's like saying that if Lance Armstrong is proven that he doped during all his Tour wins, that he should be able to keep them, or that Marion Jones should be able to keep her medals.

    If you get caught cheating, then you shouldn't able to reap the rewards of it, PERIOD. I don't care if there's an entire cloud over the era. Just because there is doesn't mean you turn a blind eye. Once you've been caught, you lose your eligibility. If you've already been voted in, and then it gets proven you cheated, then you're thrown out.

    If you're going to allow steroid users in to the Hall, then you might as well make them legal because you're saying that it's okay to cheat. You got caught taking a PERFORMANCE enhancer, and you are able to get considered at the top of the list as the best ever?

    It would be like finding out the reason Dale Earnhardt was so good at driving in restrictor plate races, was because he was driving cars without it, and then letting him keep his wins.

    I have all intentions of this being my only post on the subject, because it's been covered before, and I will never change my position.

  11. #11
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,112
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    The HOF is a joke with him in or out of it, so who cares.

  12. #12
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,129

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    Did baseball really want to stop the steroid use or did they rather like the homerun derby and increased exposure?

    It's hard to knock players for doing something that baseball didn't exactly go out of their way to stop and arguably intentionally looked the other way (which in fact encouraged it).
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  13. #13
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,098

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    Which just adds to the LONG list of why Bud Selig is an absolute joke.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    2,144

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    That '98 season was something special between him and Sammy. I will never forget it. Steroids or no steroids, it was awesome. I still remember where I was when he hit #61.

    That being said, I don't know if I would vote for him. I know I wouldn't vote for Bonds so why would I vote for McGuire?

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you get caught cheating, then you shouldn't able to reap the rewards of it, PERIOD. I don't care if there's an entire cloud over the era. Just because there is doesn't mean you turn a blind eye. Once you've been caught, you lose your eligibility. If you've already been voted in, and then it gets proven you cheated, then you're thrown out.

    If you're going to allow steroid users in to the Hall, then you might as well make them legal because you're saying that it's okay to cheat.
    IF MLB wants to declare what McGuire (or anyone) did was illegal then they should throw out his stats. That's what track, swimming, bicycling, etc., do.

    And IF MLB throws out his stats then I'd say they're declaring that what he did was because of performance enhancers and he shouldn't be in.

    If MLB leaves his stats in the record books which, AFAIK they have, then those are his numbers for professional baseball and he should be voted in or out of the HOF on that basis.

    He's never been convicted of steroid use.

    He wasn't mentioned in the Mitchell report.

    Did his testimony suck? Yeah. Did he use them? Probably. Has MLB done anything - one single thing - to sanction him for what he may have done?

    Nope. I'd vote for him.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  16. #16
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,557

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    If there is proof that McGuire cheated, absolutely not. And they should remove anyone from the HOF that has gotten caught cheating in any way, too.

  17. #17
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    I am on the fence. I grew up a life long Cincinati Reds fan and was very upset about the strike in the 1990's. I swore I never would watch baseball again. Then the McGuire and Sosa race happened and I got back to watching baseball.

  18. #18
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,098

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IF MLB wants to declare what McGuire (or anyone) did was illegal then they should throw out his stats. That's what track, swimming, bicycling, etc., do.

    And IF MLB throws out his stats then I'd say they're declaring that what he did was because of performance enhancers and he shouldn't be in.
    I can't say they should throw them out, like he never existed. But they should put an asterisk beside anyone's stats that was caught or was proven they cheated and they shouldn't be able for any awards and should have awards they won taken back.

    Those named sports handle the situation correctly. Baseball is a joke, and they will continue to be a joke until they dig their whole body out of the sand and not just their head.

    I don't dispute the fact that they atleast secretly condoned what Mark did, because it did reignite somewhat of a passion for the game, but that doesn't make it right. It's either cheating, and should be treated as such, or it should be openly allowed. They're playing both sides of the fence, and it just doesn't work that way.

  19. #19
    2014 IKL Champion DrBadd01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    United States.
    Posts
    1,961

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    Yes. There is no proof that McGwire cheated. Besides, when one considers that Baseball has elected people to the HOF that have done far worse offenses than taking a little andro for Injuries when it was legal. Pete Rose should also be in the HOF.
    Last edited by DrBadd01; 01-12-2009 at 05:08 PM.

  20. #20
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,246
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    Mark McGuire is mentioned 10 times in The Mitchell Report. Eight of those times are in connection with them finding Andro in his locker in 1998. Keep in mind that at the time Andro was a legal supplement, available all over the US, over the counter without a prescription. One other time was an interview with Jose Canseco where he said he thought Big Mac might have been using, but had no first hand knowledge. The other time was when the A's told the Report that they never considred testing him. So, there you have the one definitive document that has ever been produced on the subject and there's not a SHRED of proof in that Mark ever did anything. I say yes, he should be in the HoF until someone PROVES that he took steroids. Same with Clemens and Bonds. Prove it first, then I'll change my mind.

  21. #21
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,098

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    Well, his brother has admitted to injecting him now.

    http://www.thestarpress.com/article/...EWS06/90123006

  22. #22
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, his brother has admitted to injecting him now.

    http://www.thestarpress.com/article/...EWS06/90123006
    Guess who's not invited to next year's family Christmas Party...

  23. #23
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,246
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    It's still not proof. I should clarify. I do believe that McGwire used, BUT, I still think unless you have undeniable proof he belongs in the hall. His estranged brother is saying these things in the hopes of optioning a multi million dollar book deal. The stuff he says might be true, but the fact that he'd stay quiet unless there was money on the table doesn't lend a whole lot of credibility to it.

  24. #24
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Mark McGuire Hall of Fame

    His bro has a book deal that = cash for him.

Similar Threads

  1. Hall of Fame basketball coach Newell dies at 93 [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-17-2008, 06:30 PM
  2. Mark Cuban responds to Josh Howard situation
    By juadam09 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-22-2008, 10:02 AM
  3. Olajuwon, Ewing lead seven into Hall of Fame [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2008, 02:10 PM
  4. Basketball Hall of Fame Enshrinement cermony on NBA TV
    By pacerwaala in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-06-2008, 07:30 PM
  5. Indianapolis at Washington – NFL Hall of Fame Game – 8/3/08
    By Lord Helmet in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 08-04-2008, 11:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •