Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 51

Thread: Free Brandon Rush

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Free Brandon Rush

    With a last second play setup you need a couple good screeners and some shooters. The play drawn would have worked well if it wasn't thrown in to Foster, rather someone who looked for a quick pass to Dunleavy, and if not available could turn and shoot. For the sake of it lets just say it was broken, Its hard to believe the play was designed for a one option pass to Dunleavy.

    Brandon Rush needs to be in the game more, especially with Daniels out. Its obvious his minutes would lessen with the return of Dunleavy, but how much better would it have been to see Rush guarding Kobe to allow Granger to be involved in the final play? We know he's a rookie and has his shortcomings, but the talents he does possess (defense and shooting range) need to be utilized more efficiently. O'Brien should consider dropping the bench banishments to 'teach lessons' and keep those players available for whatever advantage they may bring.

  2. #2
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,277
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Not til he proves that he's better than Graham does Rush have a chance of seeing the floor...

    Has to earn it.

    Then he knows he deserves it and can play like it.

  3. #3
    Member MiaDragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    1,486

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not til he proves that he's better than Graham does Rush have a chance of seeing the floor...

    Has to earn it.

    Then he knows he deserves it and can play like it.
    LMAO

  4. #4
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,136

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by MiaDragon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    LMAO
    Don't laugh. Clearly, Rush has more potential than Graham (and probably more talent right now as well) but he's just not putting it together on the floor the way you'd want him too. I'd much rather see Rush than Graham right now, just because I think Rush has more room to improve, but he's not wrong. Graham is outplaying Rush in the minutes he gets.

  5. #5
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,613

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't laugh. Clearly, Rush has more potential than Graham (and probably more talent right now as well) but he's just not putting it together on the floor the way you'd want him too. I'd much rather see Rush than Graham right now, just because I think Rush has more room to improve, but he's not wrong. Graham is outplaying Rush in the minutes he gets.
    Not on defense.

    Rush is struggling with his shot and doesn't always maintain his confidence when things go south, but I still greatly prefer his one on one defensive skills.


    The bigger problem is this though - with no TJ Ford how do you spend a significant number of minutes with Jack at SG???? Seriously. WTF aren't you putting Rush on Kobe instead of flipping Jarrett Jack?

    Dumbfounding to say the least.


    As for "then he's earned it", screw that. At some point JOB has decided to commit to Roy and it's starting to show. Roy is learning to do a few things well while still stinking it up in other ways. Who cares, you gotta learn some time and I'd just as soon have that happen now vs later.

    But then it's the same thing with McRoberts. Every time he comes in he makes a huge block, rebound, pass, score, whatever it takes. Yes he gets some fouls and yes he's a little overall wild in his play, but not so much to come close to off-setting his physical positive impact for the Pacers.

    And yet off he goes to the bench most nights too, I guess to "earn it".


    There is no good reason that between Roy, Rasho, Troy, Jeff and McBob playing the 4-5 that you can't be finding 15 for Roy AND 6-10 for McBob from the 96 total. That's still giving you 70-75 minutes to split among 3 vets, 2 of whom definitely need to have low minutes nights from time to time (Jeff/Rasho) just to keep healthy. For the math challenged that still 30 for Troy and 20 each for the other 2 on average.


    But of course when you push small to a ridiculous degree even when 2 of your smalls are out (Ford, Daniels) then you are cutting out those minutes from the bigs.

    It would be different if Rasho and Troy were out and TJ/Quis were in and you were compenstating by going small. And I don't buy the speed/athletic thing either since McBob gets up and down as well as anyone on the team.


    I like Jack, I really do. But damn he is struggling, especially at the 2 spot and you've got other talent you can lean on right now. I have no problem that Graham is getting minutes ahead of Rush, but I do hate shortening up the PG spot to take time from Rush.

  6. #6
    How u imawhat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    B-town
    Posts
    5,001

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not on defense.

    Rush is struggling with his shot and doesn't always maintain his confidence when things go south, but I still greatly prefer his one on one defensive skills.


    The bigger problem is this though - with no TJ Ford how do you spend a significant number of minutes with Jack at SG???? Seriously. WTF aren't you putting Rush on Kobe instead of flipping Jarrett Jack?

    Dumbfounding to say the least.

    Kobe owned Rush. I'm probably the second biggest Rush supporter on this board, but Brandon had no place on the floor against Kobe.


    I know the circumstances are different, but Rush's regression reminds me a lot of what happened to Shawne Williams last year. He was playing reasonably well and got benched for reasons I still don't understand. And while I fully expect Brandon to respond well (Shawne never did), his poor play has actually gotten to a point where it's more valuable to have Stephen Graham on the floor, even defensively.

    I've seen a lot of players recently get very physical when Rush is guarding them. He seems to be intimidated, and I think O'Brien said something to the effect of Rush needed to use his size and strength to become a more consistent physical defender.

  7. #7
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not til he proves that he's better than Graham does Rush have a chance of seeing the floor...
    Graham's gotten his minutes at the 3. Rush should play the 2 instead of Jack.

    And I like Jack. But not as a SG guarding Kobe.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  8. #8
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,277
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Graham's gotten his minutes at the 3. Rush should play the 2 instead of Jack.

    And I like Jack. But not as a SG guarding Kobe.
    So you'd have Dunleavey at the 4 when a potential rebound may be very important?

  9. #9
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,204

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not til he proves that he's better than Graham does Rush have a chance of seeing the floor...

    Has to earn it.

    Then he knows he deserves it and can play like it.
    If you really had to earn playing time McRoberts would not be getting DNPs while Rasho and Foster play tons of minutes.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  10. #10

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    You can go through the whole earning minutes thing if you wish, I believe its irrelevant here. For one, the Pacers lack talent, he has it. Sure, he's not polished yet, but I compare him to late inning defensive replacement in a baseball game. He doesn't have to be a great player, just someone who currently possesses a useful talent. Graham would not have been a good option to guard Kobe, Rush would have. If you want to make him ride the bench and earn his minutes that's fine, but he's not useless and should not be treated as such.

  11. #11
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,277
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can go through the whole earning minutes thing if you wish, I believe its irrelevant here.
    You mean giving a guy a sense of entitlement so that he thinks he's too good to have to work for anything?

    Wasn't that our problem with Tinsley, Jackson, and Harrington?

    And Kobe would have baited Rush into one of those "another lesson you lesson as a NBA rookie" moments.

  12. #12
    Member MiaDragon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    1,486

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You mean giving a guy a sense of entitlement so that he thinks he's too good to have to work for anything?

    Wasn't that our problem with Tinsley, Jackson, and Harrington?

    And Kobe would have baited Rush into one of those "another lesson you lesson as a NBA rookie" moments.
    please show me where the hell you're getting this?!?

  13. #13
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,277
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by MiaDragon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    please show me where the hell you're getting this?!?
    you know who Mike Tyson is?

  14. #14
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,277
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by MiaDragon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    please show me where the hell you're getting this?!?
    I'm not saying that Rush has a sense of entitlement or doesn't have talent. If you give him something he doesn't deserve... that leads to entitlement and hurts your team by saying, sorry Stephen, you're a better player now and we appreciate your hard work, but we're playing the rookie who hasn't figured things out in practice or games, but we're sure he'll do it against Kobe.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not saying that Rush has a sense of entitlement or doesn't have talent. If you give him something he doesn't deserve... that leads to entitlement and hurts your team by saying, sorry Stephen, you're a better player now and we appreciate your hard work, but we're playing the rookie who hasn't figured things out in practice or games, but we're sure he'll do it against Kobe.
    I understand your sentiment, but I definitely disagree. I don't believe being asked to use your strength of defending to help your team win leads to a sense of entitlement. If anything it would give him confidence, knowing that he can help the team win. I won't pretend to know what the players are thinking, but I sincerely doubt Graham would be sitting there saying I should be out there guarding Kobe, I've played way better than Rush has. I think he would understand that Rush has defensive skills and O'Brien is using his best judgment for the team. And a well run team will not question the coach's decisions.
    I think your argument is best fit for whether or not Rush should be playing 30 minutes a game because he has a higher ceiling, or in other words having more potential and favor as a high 1st round draft pick and as such playing over Graham. However, I still don't believe this would lead to entitlement, but it most definitely could.

  16. #16
    Boom Baby! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,649

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You mean giving a guy a sense of entitlement so that he thinks he's too good to have to work for anything?

    Wasn't that our problem with Tinsley, Jackson, and Harrington?

    And Kobe would have baited Rush into one of those "another lesson you lesson as a NBA rookie" moments.
    I don't agree with this as it pertains to Jackson. Of all the things you could say about Jax, I don't think his issues centered on entitlement.

  17. #17
    Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    718

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Agreed, Rush has shown little this season to even deserve the inbound pass. But, he might have done better on D than Jack, I would maybe go with that one but he has to step up consistently.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    With Kobe the only thing you can do is try to bother him with length. You can't use someone who is overly aggressive or uses strength to defend, all you will get is a foul called. Rather, you look to someone who has quickness and can stay close and contest his shot as much as possible. There are 2 guys on the Pacers who can do this, both were on the bench. Only one had to be.

  19. #19
    Member LoneGranger33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Age
    28
    Posts
    17,136

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With Kobe the only thing you can do is try to bother him with length. You can't use someone who is overly aggressive or uses strength to defend, all you will get is a foul called. Rather, you look to someone who has quickness and can stay close and contest his shot as much as possible. There are 2 guys on the Pacers who can do this, both were on the bench. Only one had to be.
    This is fair. I didn't think having Danny on Kobe was a bad idea - he just make a bad decision to reach in when he should have just contained and challenged. But it's still MMQBing to say that Rush would have fared any better - I'm torn on that, but I definitely see where you're coming from. Jack was getting shot over all night. Might as well give the kid a chance at some point.

  20. #20
    Inspiration Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    42,642

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Graham has consistently outplayed Rush with the minutes each has been allotted.

    With Dun back, it will be even harder for Brandon to work his way into the rotation. He's going to have to earn it.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

  21. #21

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    You are way off track here. Your argument is tangential to the one I am trying to convey. I am not talking about Rush getting 30 minutes a game, that is another discussion. I am talking about giving your team its best chance to win the game. You know the ball is going to Kobe, you want to put your best defender on him. In no way, shape or form does letting Rush enter the game for this possession give him any sense on entitlement. You are jumping out to a unprovable assumption about how Rush would process this situation in his mind. The fact of the matter is the coach has a responsibility, to use the players he is given in the best manner conducive to winning the basketball game. Rush should have been on Kobe. I won't address the "baiting the rookie," again its just another assumption that has no basis.

  22. #22
    Inspiration Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    42,642

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are way off track here. Your argument is tangential to the one I am trying to convey. I am not talking about Rush getting 30 minutes a game, that is another discussion. I am talking about giving your team its best chance to win the game. You know the ball is going to Kobe, you want to put your best defender on him. In no way, shape or form does letting Rush enter the game for this possession give him any sense on entitlement. You are jumping out to a unprovable assumption about how Rush would process this situation in his mind. The fact of the matter is the coach has a responsibility, to use the players he is given in the best manner conducive to winning the basketball game. Rush should have been on Kobe. I won't address the "baiting the rookie," again its just another assumption that has no basis.
    Here are two facts about the NBA:

    - Superstar calls exist.
    - Rookie calls exist.

    So, the solution is to put a rookie on a superstar? That's called suicide.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

  23. #23

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    That's an incredibly weak argument for this particular situation. While it is true that rookies are not given the benefit of the doubt for quite some time, refs are and always will be much more inclined to hesitate on calling a foul for the last play of the game. You are not asking Rush to get the steal, or the block, where aggression is needed and the chance for a foul increases drastically. What you are looking for is someone with length to contest the inevitable jumper you know is coming.

  24. #24
    Inspiration Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    35
    Posts
    42,642

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Yet, I've seen it happen time and again.

    It's Kobe freaking Bryant. If the game is on the line and a rookie is on him, he's going to get the call.

    I agree with you 100% that Jack should not have been on him (was screaming that all game long, actually), but Rush would have been a foul magnet. I'd have gone with Graham and hoped for the best.
    "I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right."

  25. #25

    Default Re: Free Brandon Rush

    Being the last play of the game is more or less semantical at this point, it was most likely the Laker's last possession and time was running off the clock. A foul call would have required contact, something that wasn't needed. The quick whistle on Granger was because of contact, all you want is someone who can stick with Kobe and the length to best contest the shot. If this only decreases his chance of making that shot 1% then it is the correct choice. If it was made or missed a time out was going to be called, and Rush could have been taken out.

Similar Threads

  1. The Official Pacers Digest F.A.Q. Thread
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 09-02-2013, 05:30 PM
  2. Tbird draft analysis: Brandon Rush
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 05-03-2009, 10:35 AM
  3. Replies: 30
    Last Post: 11-13-2008, 11:13 AM
  4. Kareem Rush Signs with Philly
    By duke dynamite in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2008, 09:10 PM
  5. Brandon Rush "I want to be the next Reggie Miller"
    By GrangerRanger in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 07-05-2008, 05:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •