View Poll Results: Who's Your pick for the 2009 NCAA Football Champion?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Florida

9 45.00%
  • Utah

10 50.00%
  • USC

1 5.00%
  • Texas

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who Do You Think Deserves to be the Number 1 ranked Team in NCAA College Football?

Default Who Do You Think Deserves to be the Number 1 ranked Team in NCAA College Football?

What the heck - let's see what folks think about this. I'm leaving it private in case someone's embarassed or something. I think from the College Football Thread everyone can figure out how I voted. I'm including the 4 teams with 1 or zero losses, so long as they won their Bowl Game (sorry Boise St).
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Who Do You Think Deserves to be the Number 1 ranked Team in NCAA College Football?

Utah, until proven otherwise.

Default Re: Who Do You Think Deserves to be the Number 1 ranked Team in NCAA College Football?

Has to be Florida. Utah looked great against an injury ravaged Alabama team but I think Florida would demolish them.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I voted for Utah. To me an arbitrary computer formula does nothing to prove that Florida could beat them ont he field. I'd have to see it done with my own eyes to think that any of the teams above could beat them on a neutral field.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has to be Florida. Utah looked great against an injury ravaged Alabama team but I think Florida would demolish them.
    Therein lies the problem with the BCS.

woman without a team

I don't really care. I'm just glad it's not Alabama.

I think that Florida has he most quality wins by a good margin, so I think that they have earned it. Their one loss looked bad at the time until the team that beat them routed Texas Tech in their bowl. I would like to see a playoff, though, and I was thrilled by watching Utah.

If the question were instead, "who do you think would win a NCAA CFB playoff", I would probably say USC. But their weaker schedule and loss to Oregon St. lowers then in my eyes based upon their body of work.

Texas couldn't stop Ohio State a bit, and the Buckeyes could have beaten then with better play-calling to avoid settling for field goals. Utah impressed me a lot. I really hate to see them not get their due. 4th in the coach's poll? no way...

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    I think that Florida has he most quality wins by a good margin, so I think that they have earned it. Their one loss looked bad at the time until the team that beat them routed Texas Tech in their bowl. I would like to see a playoff, though, and I was thrilled by watching Utah.

If the question were instead, "who do you think would win a NCAA CFB playoff", I would probably say USC. But their weaker schedule and loss to Oregon St. lowers then in my eyes based upon their body of work.

Texas couldn't stop Ohio State a bit, and the Buckeyes could have beaten then with better play-calling to avoid settling for field goals. Utah impressed me a lot. I really hate to see them not get their due. 4th in the coach's poll? no way...
    There it is again.

Wouldn't it be nice to just have a definitive champion, like, well, pretty much every other sporting structure on the planet?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Utah. Unbeaten, again. And nothing to show for it. BCS is such a joke.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    There it is again.

Wouldn't it be nice to just have a definitive champion, like, well, pretty much every other sporting structure on the planet?

Nobody is debating that. I imagine that there is near unanimous agreement among us that a playoff of sometime is preferable to polls and computers deciding it.

NCAA Division III football started their 32 team tournament the week before Thanksgiving and 4 weeks later had their national champion crowned, in time for eveyone to finish finals and go home for Christmas. There ought to be a way to do an 8-teamer in the NCAA Div I, but $$$$$$$$s rule and the bowls are afraid of becoming irrelevant.

The question was who deserves it given the crappy system we have now. Florida played about 8 very good teams and beat 7 of them, Utah played about 4 very good teams and beat them all. Now is there any way that more than 4 very good teams would even want to schedule Utah home-and-home? Probably not, and that's another problem.

I would love to see Utah-Florida next week.

I'd love to see Obama invite both Florida and utah to the White House for the traditional champions visit. Maybe he will do it, since he hates the BCS!
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 01-09-2009 at 06:11 PM.

NCAA Division III football started their 32 team tournament the week before Thanksgiving and 4 weeks later had their national champion crowned, in time for eveyone to finish finals and go home for Christmas. There ought to be a way to do an 8-teamer in the NCAA Div I, but $$$$$$$$s rule and the bowls are afraid of becoming irrelevant.
    This is what bugs me - you can still have every bowl. If you go with 8 teams you pick 7 bowls to be playoff bowls, rotate 'em around just like they do now with the BCS and keep all the other bowls for non-playoff teams. Limit teams to 11 regular-season games so the most anyone plays is 14. If you go one step further and have 16, then you have 15 playoff bowls.

I know what the issue is - $$$$. Nothing else.

As for Utah over Florida, Florida beat Alabama in a narrow victory in a game they trailed in with less than 10 minutes left at a neutral site - Atlanta.

Utah went ahead 21-0 and never took their foot off Alabama's throat in a game where they had to go to New Orleans - SEC territory.

I'm not sure how Alabama became injury-ravaged between the Florida & Alabama games but I know Utah dominated them - nearly outgaining them 2:1 - while they played Florida close to even-up.

Based on their game against a common opponent, I pick Utah.

based upon the one common oppoenent, sure.

But it gives no credit for UF beating LSU by 30, Georgia by 39, Kentucky by 58, Vanderbilt by 28, South Carolina by 50, Florida State by 30, Miami by 23, all without any hints of running up the score.

Utah won by 3 points or less vs. Michigan, Oregon State, New Mexico, and TCU.

The Utes were good. They were not dominating for much of the season.

But it gives no credit for UF beating LSU by 30, Georgia by 39, Kentucky by 58, Vanderbilt by 28, South Carolina by 50, Florida State by 30, Miami by 23, all without any hints of running up the score.

This about sums it up. That is also not mentioning Alabama had their worst game of the year against Utah. (Mainly due to injuries, but suspending their dominant tackle didn't help etiher.) As a Georgia fan, I really hate Florida and wish they weren't the best..but they just are.

My point is, tons of fans are making arguments (many of them legitimate) as to why they think a particular team deserves to be champ (or at least in the title game). But, as we sports fans should well know, games are won or lost on the field/court.

Let the teams play it out.

How did that dominating regular season last year work out for the Pats again?

I am truly not picking on you Tom, and I would have responded to this post with the same point regardless of who posted it. You just happened to be the one to bring up the argument.

If the NFL had a BCS system in place and no playoffs, last year the Patriots likely would have beaten the Cowboys in the NFL BCS championship game.

How would this year's Tennessee-NY Giants BCS title game have turned out?

When a title is determined by pollsters, it's an inherently stupid system. If that's the system you have, however, I would hope the pollsters take into account who you played and how handily do did or did not beat them. Dominating anyone last week or last month or three months ago doesn't help you win anything today, as Belichick has always preached and how ironically the Patriots demonstrated last year. The polls should however reflect the "body of work" that is the whole season IMO.

Which is why both the BCS and the polls should be scrapped. Both have had their time in the sun, and both have failed miserably.

That's all very nice. I'm comparing their records - Utah's was better - and their performance against a common opponent - Utah's was better.

Based on that, Utah was better. Unless Utah played LSU or Florida played TCU, etc., the rest is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned - you're comparing apples to oranges - or LSU's to TCU's in this case.

I am comparing the relative merits of beating winning teams who actually won bowl games after losing to Florida by over 4 touchdowns to the merits of barely beating losing teams like New Mexico and Michigan.

Florida often played well enough to make top 20 teams look like...well... Indiana football.

I know that comparing games against Georgia and New Mexico is like comparing apples and oranges. They are nothing alike. Georgia is good and talented. New Mexico is not. That's why one team routing Georgia by 39 gets some brownie points over another team squeaking by New Mexico by 3. The converse, beating New Mexico by 39 and Georgia by 3, would have been far less noteworthy. That's my perogative as a pretend pollster, and it's your perogative to use different criteria, illustrating why the whole sytem is goofy.

I dislike the Gators and SEC football in general, but when I watched them play I was amazed how the games were over by halftime most of the season, regardless of opponent or even location of game.

Mood

I don't care, until Florida proves it on the field, you cannot convince me that they would definitely beat Utah. Any given....saturday. Right?

I am not saying Florida would beat Utah on the field, or USC, or Texas. We won't know and we will never know. I would certainly be cheering like crazy for Utah to beat Florida, like I was cheering for Utah to beat Alabama.

The alternative to knowing the outcome on the field is to crown one team based upon the totality of the season, by vague and even arbitrary criteria. The criteria I choose includes who you beat and how handily you beat them. Not all victories are created equally, and that even sometimes has predictive ability. Case in point the Colts 12-win season, with a great many eeked-out wins that objectively left even Colts fans thinking "Gee, that was fortunate and I hope we don't have to play them in the playoffs."

Mood

Florida.

If any1 thinks Utah would beat them, you're off your rocker
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Utah finished unbeaten and didn't even get a chance and to me that is wrong.

A better example would be, what if the Pats had gone 16-0 last year, but the NFL decided the Colts deserved the NFL BCS spot because the AFC South was the tougher division and we had to deal with both the Titans and Jags in our divsion? That to me is what happened to Utah this year, and it is stupid.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Utah finished unbeaten and didn't even get a chance and to me that is wrong.

A better example would be, what if the Pats had gone 16-0 last year, but the NFL decided the Colts deserved the NFL BCS spot because the AFC South was the tougher division and we had to deal with both the Titans and Jags in our divsion? That to me is what happened to Utah this year, and it is stupid.
    I agree 1000000000%

CFB needs a playoff.

But the Finals of that Playoff would be Florida vs. USC, and i beleive Florida would win that game too.

Utah would lose a final 4 game most likely (USC and FLA would eat their cookies for breakfast)
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

I'll go back to this - keep in mind the question is who DESERVES to be ranked number 1 - not who would beat who since nobody has a clue.

Utah ran the table and went undefeated. Florida didn't. The goal in any game is to win. Utah achieved this better than Florida. When the goal of a game is to establish a points differential I'll start considering that.

So then we get to SOS factors. It's indisputable that Florida's strength of schedule ranking is stronger than Utah's. Part of that's the inherent BCS Conference bias that's been deliberately built into the computer rankings to justify Bowl matchups - see the following Bill James article for additional info: http://www.slate.com/id/2208108/pagenum/all/

But probably not all of it.

However, Utah beat 3 ranked teams this year - TCU, BYU and Alabama. Until the Alabama game, which I never thought they'd win, I hadn't even worried about Utah - it was Texas getting ripped off. So then we have the Alabama game. In the one game where we don't have to believe in a flawed, manipulated computer program where we can at least make some sort of direct comparison between two teams (rather than some nonexistent implied comparison), Florida won a narrow victory where they trailed in the 4th quarter while Utah completely dominated Alabama, sacked the opposing QB 8 times, held a top running team to 165 yards below their average and threw the ball at will.

That's the only legitimate point of comparison I have to go by - the only common opponent. Every other comparison is tainted by a combination of them not being common opponents and by a manipulated computer program the BCS has put together to justify an unjustifiable system.

I agree that if Utah played Florida, Florida probably wins - I disagree with anyone such as Robertmo who says there's no way Utah wins - look at the Alabama game - but that's not the question. The question is who deserves the number 1 ranking and I have no question in my mind who that is.