Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pacers vs. Suns Post-Game Thread - Danny FTW!

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers vs. Suns Post-Game Thread - Danny FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think it is safe to say that the mouse has once again returned to Phoenix and has once again pee'd on their cotton.

BTW, if you don't get that statement it comes from a few seasons ago when Reggie also hit a game winning shot in Pheonix and waved to the crowd as he left. In the post game interview he stated that it was so quiet in the arena after he hit that shot that you could hear a mouse peeing on cotton.

While we are at it I wouldn't mind if a mouse or better yet a rat would pee in Amare's cornflakes in the morning.
    Actually, it was a rat in Reggie's quote.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by REL31 View Post
    Game Winner Vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nK0WdYRXP0

Jarrett Jack's reactions while the shot was in the air and afterwards are classic. lol.
    Thanks for the vid.
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    JUST WOW....Grangers game winner was not even in the top ten on ESPN. I just watched the whole sportscenter from 12-1AM nothing even about the game. What Horse@$%&
    Granger's shot was #1 in the Top 10 this morning.

BTW...I just recalled that Danny did this after getting kicked in the balls at the 6 minute mark of the third quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    BTW...I just recalled that Danny did this after getting kicked in the balls at the 6 minute mark of the third quarter.
    lol no idea which conclusion one could draw from that observation....
    Word on the street is he doesn't want your money, he only wants to please your ears...
    Bum in Berlin on Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by Raskolnikov View Post
    lol no idea which conclusion one could draw from that observation....
    He's a better man than I am, Gunga Din.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I felt like the Suns had way too many wide open three point attempts though. Am I wrong? Maybe it was just Nash and Barbosa's penetration, but I thought they had a lot of good looks they just didn't connect on. The on-ball defense was pretty good - the rotations seemed slow at best.
    Yes they did, but that is what happens trying to guard the Nash - Amare pick and roll, - especially after Nash had started to hit some shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    Just realizing that? Try a Reggie who is longer, tougher, a better defender, with the same clutch/scoring ability.
    Tougher!?! I don't even know how to respond to that one. As tough would be the ultimate compliment to Danny.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Agreed. I was furious after Dun got leveled like that with no call. It's stuff like that that gives conspiracy theorists fodder.
    Yeah, that made me furious as well - he hit him really hard - I was worried Dun was really injured.

One thing that I think is huge that no one else has mentioned is the Pacers are 3-0 in the last three really close games. Sure the first two were against the Knicks and Kings - but still a nice trend
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-08-2009 at 10:32 AM.

Granger was definitely a superstar last night with his big time shots and defense.
    He had blocks and steals and rebounds and he could have easily hit several more shots that
    just rimmed out. DG is why I stay up late watching these games. I liked Graham's
    huge dunk. The best dunk by a Pacer this year. Pray that Dunleavy stays healthy
    as he was the extra punch to put the Pacers over the top. Put a real PF on this team
    and you have something in the future.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

A few general observations:

- Stephen Graham played well. I'm not a fan of his, but he played a very good game. Solid defense and rebounding and he can make open shots. If he could only dribble and pass...

- As I've said before, I really like the idea that there will never be a time during games when either Dunleavy or Granger is not on the floor. I hope O'Brien continues to use them this way. It will help our offensive lulls immensely.

- I like how we're complaining about Jack's turnovers after a game where he played 30 minutes and only had 3.

- Danny had a great game, but what's amazing to me is how much better he could have been. He was on fire during the first quarter and the beginning of the second. After that his shot selection got pretty bad and stayed that way until the 4th quarter. He also missed several open shots in the 4th (he was actually 3 for 9 in the quarter until the final 2 possessions when he came up huge). I'm not complaining about Danny because this was the best game I've seen a Pacer play in at least 2 years, but he could have easily had 45-50 if he hits open shots.

- I like that Dun had 14 points and 4 assists in 20 minutes. He also shot 50% in spite of looking obviously rusty.

- I really like the Suns' announcers. I usually hate watching other teams feeds on League Pass, but these guys are really good. They're not terribly homerish. They were very complementary of the Pacers and their individual players. They'd done there homework and knew the strengths and weaknesses of the individual players. The one guy that really seemed to surprise them was Stephen Graham.

- Eddie Johnson made a good point about Granger having what he called "an excellent ground game." He defined this by saying that Granger surprises a lot of defenders by getting shots off from lower elevations than they're expecting. Most NBA players over rely on their athleticism, but he pointed out that Granger has a "plethora" of shots that he can make without having to fully elevate. I thought this an interesting piece of good analysis.

- Steve Nash is a shell of his former self.

- I'm wondering if O'Brien is beginning his shift into "Win Now" mode. Last season it seemed that he used the first portion of the season to teach guys what he wanted. Then at some point he started doing some different things that focused on winning individual games rather than using game situations as teachable moments. Last night it seemed to me like he'd switched over. I can't point out any particular things other than that he used timeouts to stop runs more aggressively. I'm wondering if we're not going to start seeing a shortened rotation, more called plays, and a tightened leash pretty soon.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    If he can continue being a 26/6/3 1+ bpg & spg guy on a 50-win team, then yes, he'll officially be elite. Now let's get him the help needed to accomplish those 50+ wins.
    This argument still makes me shake my head. He can do the exact same things he's been doing, but he's not elite until his teammates are better.

Dadgum, I didn't get to see this game tonight. I had to leave to go to the airport to pick someone up, leaving at game time, and then their flight was delayed 45 minutes so it was after midnight b4 I got home. I did hear on the radio after getting home that Danny won it with a 3 point shot!!! It was great to hear!

I really wanted to see how Dun looked playing. Sounds like he did ok. 1st thing this morning on the computer I checked the box scores. I had to blink twice seeing Graham started and had a nice game. Good for him! I didn't see any Graham hater comments, so he must have done something right.

I was surprised with the Pacers players lack of rebounding.... no Murph double rebounds. No player had double rebounds.

Why did Hibbert play so little? Too much small ball for him?

Rush apparently hasn't gotten his playing back together for JO'B either.

I sure hope this is the beginning of good things happening!

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    A few general observations:

- Stephen Graham played well. I'm not a fan of his, but he played a very good game. Solid defense and rebounding and he can make open shots. If he could only dribble and pass...
    I was thinking pretty much the same thing, though I'd hesitate to refer to his defense as "solid". (I guess that detracts from Graham, which is a little unfair. It's just when I hear "solid", I think mistake free, but unspectacular. A "solid" defender is somebody who consistently has good fundamentals and positioning, but will get beaten if the offensive player makes a better play. I think Stephen has improved his defense, but his judgment and position is shaky...hence, the balking at "solid". He's also far exceeded my expectations and has been a great bargain for the league min.)

Quote Originally Posted by mel
    - As I've said before, I really like the idea that there will never be a time during games when either Dunleavy or Granger is not on the floor. I hope O'Brien continues to use them this way. It will help our offensive lulls immensely.

- I like how we're complaining about Jack's turnovers after a game where he played 30 minutes and only had 3.

- Danny had a great game, but what's amazing to me is how much better he could have been. He was on fire during the first quarter and the beginning of the second. After that his shot selection got pretty bad and stayed that way until the 4th quarter. He also missed several open shots in the 4th (he was actually 3 for 9 in the quarter until the final 2 possessions when he came up huge). I'm not complaining about Danny because this was the best game I've seen a Pacer play in at least 2 years, but he could have easily had 45-50 if he hits open shots.

- I like that Dun had 14 points and 4 assists in 20 minutes. He also shot 50% in spite of looking obviously rusty.

- I really like the Suns' announcers. I usually hate watching other teams feeds on League Pass, but these guys are really good. They're not terribly homerish. They were very complementary of the Pacers and their individual players. They'd done there homework and knew the strengths and weaknesses of the individual players. The one guy that really seemed to surprise them was Stephen Graham.

- Eddie Johnson made a good point about Granger having what he called "an excellent ground game." He defined this by saying that Granger surprises a lot of defenders by getting shots off from lower elevations than they're expecting. Most NBA players over rely on their athleticism, but he pointed out that Granger has a "plethora" of shots that he can make without having to fully elevate. I thought this an interesting piece of good analysis.

- Steve Nash is a shell of his former self.

- I'm wondering if O'Brien is beginning his shift into "Win Now" mode. Last season it seemed that he used the first portion of the season to teach guys what he wanted. Then at some point he started doing some different things that focused on winning individual games rather than using game situations as teachable moments. Last night it seemed to me like he'd switched over. I can't point out any particular things other than that he used timeouts to stop runs more aggressively. I'm wondering if we're not going to start seeing a shortened rotation, more called plays, and a tightened leash pretty soon.
    Very good and insightful post. As to the "win now", I'm not sure there's a real change in that regard. I think Obie always wants to "win now", but I think that it may appear as such because of a confluence of events: Rush's backslide, Graham's emergence, and Dunleavy's return. I expect to continue to see the 12-18 minutes a night for Hibbert, but I am expect Rush to start seeing some DNP-CD's.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This argument still makes me shake my head. He can do the exact same things he's been doing, but he's not elite until his teammates are better.
    Well, it's a fine line on this argument between his teammates being better and him making his teammates better. It is true that even bona fide elite players can't overcome an extreme paucity of talent (both Kobe and KG suffered through bad losing seasons), it is also true that elite players "make their teammates better."

This does not mean that they actually improve their teammates skills. Rather that they improve the chances of success both through their presence (which allows less focus and less pressure on their teammates) and their own skills (which helps put their teammates in the best position to succeed).

It is not unfair to say that Danny has not established such bona fides, yet. However, at this point, I find it hard to fathom how any one cannot be thrilled with Danny Granger as a player. He has far exceeded any reasonable expectations, yet has continued to recognize shortcomings and work to improve them one by one.
    Last edited by count55; 01-08-2009 at 12:53 PM.

[QUOTE=Midcoasted;830745]

We got the best big man out of the draft I think. /QUOTE]

You are kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    How would you guys say Dunleavy played? I know he only played like 21 mins, but did he look like the Dunleavy we know or is his knee still affecting him?
    He looked fine out there, when he wasn't getting pummeled by Amare.

His 3 is off; he needs to focus on his bread and butter (mid-range) until he gets fully back in the flow. He is just deadly from the elbow.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

On the good team/great player deal. It depends on what is happening. For us Vets, remember World B Free? He was the epitome of a guy who only cared about getting his. He wasn't a good player, just a selfish scorer, that's it. Corey Magette is getting that type of rap now. I have always thought you HAVE to be carefull getting these type of players. I said at the time they got Stephen Jackson to be beware of him because he was scoring heavy on a bad team in ATL, in a contract year. Double whammy.

Granger could look this way from the outside in, but it is NOT the case, imo. He has had to shoot and score for this team to compete. He has tremedously increased his assists, just in the first 1/3 of the season. He started out almost solely as a defensive player as a rookie and you didn't see him once hang his head.

The reality, MVP is perception and it will never go to a guy on a sub .500 team because of the history of those type players and the lack of exposure of those teams.

I would say it would have to be something crazy for it to ever happen, like a guy averages 40 points and 20 rebounds, but his team is 40-42.

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    I think it is safe to say that the mouse has once again returned to Phoenix and has once again pee'd on their cotton.

BTW, if you don't get that statement it comes from a few seasons ago when Reggie also hit a game winning shot in Pheonix and waved to the crowd as he left. In the post game interview he stated that it was so quiet in the arena after he hit that shot that you could hear a mouse peeing on cotton.

While we are at it I wouldn't mind if a mouse or better yet a rat would pee in Amare's cornflakes in the morning.
    It was dead silent in there. The Pacers ran off the court and the Suns were still standing under the basket hoping the shot wouldn't count.

The crowd really expected a stop, and overtime. You could tell. Once that shot went in it was like the cone of silence fell over the entire building.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    I didnt get a chance to watch the game. I watched the highlights and the game seemed amazing. Great shot at the end by Granger.

How would you guys say Dunleavy played? I know he only played like 21 mins, but did he look like the Dunleavy we know or is his knee still affecting him?
    Mike produced way better than I expected. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets bumped up to 25 minutes Friday night if needed.

Hey guys great win, any thoughts on why Hibbert only saw the floor for 7 mins or so??

What a finish... wasn't this the first game winning buzzer beater since Reggie did it in Phoenix too?

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Mike produced way better than I expected. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets bumped up to 25 minutes Friday night if needed.

I'll be disappointed in JO'B if he plays Dunleavy more than 20 minutes this early after coming back from being out all season. Dun needs to come back slowly. One JO situation was enough.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by MiaDragon View Post
    Hey guys great win, any thoughts on why Hibbert only saw the floor for 7 mins or so??
    shaq was out. roy wasn't quick enough to keep up with amare, louis or robin.

Danny's scoring average is now up to 25.8, just .4 away from Dirk's 26.2. I think he'd take that over but with guys getting healthy I think his point production will lessen a little, keeping him around that 5 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaDragon View Post
    He didn't play very well, and the Suns were using Amundson and Amare at PF and C. Hibbert doesn't have the quickness to stay with either of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    As to the "win now", I'm not sure there's a real change in that regard. I think Obie always wants to "win now", but I think that it may appear as such because of a confluence of events: Rush's backslide, Graham's emergence, and Dunleavy's return. I expect to continue to see the 12-18 minutes a night for Hibbert, but I am expect Rush to start seeing some DNP-CD's.
    I'm just wondering if we aren't going to see a severely shortened rotation once everybody gets healthy. When Ford, 'Quis, and Dunleavy are all ready to play big minutes, I think both Graham and Rush are hardly ever going to see the floor. If we shorten to an 8-9 man rotation, some guys are going to be left out.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie