Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it risky to replace my PC's power supply by myself?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Is it risky to replace my PC's power supply by myself?

I assume this is a pre-2007 HP case. They have made strides the past couple of years, and have made the inside of their cases easily accessable to the components on both their business and home-class PCs.

Everything was accessible, generally speaking, but it was all in a tight space. Any tighter and I would have had to remove everything and start over just to make sure it could all fit. This PC was bought in September 2007, and I believe was first available summer 2007.

Mood

Hmm, is it silver or black?

Mood

Oooh. Okay. Yeah that is the previous kind of case that HP made before mine. They then changed to all-black, then to the new case.

This is what I have. It is very open on the inside, compared to the one you have.

Tonight made me vow to:

1) Build my next PC myself (had one before, but needed a friend to do the heavy lifting. I think I'm close to knowing enough to do it myself next time; just need to nail down the initial software/BIOS setup pre-OS installation.)

2) Buy a full tower case.

3) Get the quietest high-end power supply possible.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tonight made me vow to:

1) Build my next PC myself (had one before, but needed a friend to do the heavy lifting. I think I'm close to knowing enough to do it myself next time; just need to nail down the initial software/BIOS setup pre-OS installation.)
    The problem with that is you have to deal with many different manufacturers when you need to RMA a bad part, especially if you don't know what is wrong. Buying from an OEM, makes the process easier because they can just send you the part you need.

Having my first IT job at a helpdesk, this has proven to be the best way to handle things. Sure, you have more control when building the PC, but it isn't worth the hassle for me. I can always add/upgrade parts later if I need to.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    The problem with that is you have to deal with many different manufacturers when you need to RMA a bad part, especially if you don't know what is wrong. Buying from an OEM, makes the process easier because they can just send you the part you need.

Having my first IT job at a helpdesk, this has proven to be the best way to handle things. Sure, you have more control when building the PC, but it isn't worth the hassle for me. I can always add/upgrade parts later if I need to.
    Yeah... But if you build it yourself from scratch then you get the best tech support of all- Yourself.

Nothing like knowing as much about your machine as possible compared to the guys reading a script... from India.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    It's like crack, dude. You'll never be content with a pre-built computer again.

You probably don't need a 750watt power supply... if you get one in the 500 range it's easier
    to get a silent one.

The BIOS stuff isn't hard if you buy a decent mobo, which you'd do. You're ready now.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I just remembering something with BIOS and some RAID drivers that had to be setup (which I have little memory of; I'm not sure if they were installed before/after windows, even).

In other words, I need to be 100% in knowing everything to do pre-Windows and post-Windows to insure everything's where it needs to be driver-wise.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

Nothing like knowing as much about your machine as possible compared to the guys reading a script... from India.
    HP's support is local. Also, Dell just moved their support back into the US.