Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

  1. #1
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later




    The headline of The Indianapolis Star's Sports section the morning after draft day in 2005 read, "PLEASANT SURPRISE, GRANGER IS A PACER." Danny Granger was picked at 17, and was a gleam of hope for a team coming off a disasterous season.

    Looking back at Danny Granger's sophomore season, Al Harrington was brought back from Atlanta, and was expected to play next to Jermaine O'Neal for "One of the strongest frontcourts in all the NBA." This meant for Granger that he would have to come off the bench for Harrington, even after showing us some nice play late in his rookie season.

    We all know the story of how that season played off, Harrington, Stephen Jackson, and Sarunas Jasikevicius were traded to Golden State for Mike Dunleavy, Jr., Troy Murphy, Ike Diogu, and Keith McCleod. This trade for Granger was a blessing in disguise.

    After the trade, Danny moved up permanently into the starting lineup along with newly-aqquired Dunleavy and Murphy thus ending a sub-par season, riddled with losing streaks and injuries to Jermaine O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley. The Pacers missed the playoffs for the first time in eight years, finishing 41-41.

    The 2007-2008 season started with the Pacers playing really good ball. But again, injuries to key players (O'Neal, Diogu) slowed the team down, and the Pacers were playing sub-.500 ball.

    Around the Spring of 2008, the team started to sync, even with the absence of Jermaine O'Neal and Jamaal Tinsley, still out with injuries. Granger and Dunleavy took it upon themselves to make a run at the playoffs, unfortunately shying the final seed by one game to Atlanta. Granger averaged 19.6 points per game, up from 13 the prior year. Dunleavy finished slightly below Danny with an average of 19.1 points per game.

    Towards the end of the 2007-2008 season, Danny Granger had a string of 3 straight games where he scored in the mid-thirties (30, 37, 35 respectively) helping the Pacers gain a playoff spot. Not only that, but he averaged 24.7 points in the last 10 games of the season. The talk around sports' networks and internet sites, and the fans stated that the best of Danny Granger is yet to come...

    New faces and a new attitude surrounded the beginning of the 2008-2009 season, and the Pacers finished off a (stronger than expected) preseason after getting aquainted with one another on the court. Mike Dunleavy had missed almost the first half of the season, which left Granger the lone scoring threat on this fresh Pacers squad.

    Danny started off the season putting up 33 points against Detroit in the season opener loss, and scoring 20 after getting his teeth busted out by acting as a cushion to Paul Pierce while diving for a loose ball during the home opener, giving Boston their first loss of the season. (Danny continued to play on with a big cheese, but no pearly-whites.)

    Since then, Granger has been a scoring threat, averaging 25.5 points per game, and has finally found that he has other dimensions to his play. He is second in team rebounds, with 5.1 per game, and has 1.4 blocks per game. Danny has also hit the 30 point mark 10 times this season with two of them being a career-high 42 points, and 41 points.

    Looking back at prior drafts, number 17 doesn't always get you a superstar, let alone a player that is staying in the top-five in scoring. (There are a few exceptions to this, but not many.) Calling Danny Granger a steal could be an understatement, but only time will tell.

    Pleasant surprise, indeed.
    Last edited by duke dynamite; 01-06-2009 at 04:29 PM.

  2. #2
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,644

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still at Steal Three Years Later

    definately a (not at) steal at 17. No doubt.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  3. #3
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still at Steal Three Years Later

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking back at Danny Granger's sophomore season, Al Harrington was brought back from Atlanta, and was expected to play next to Jermaine O'Neal for "One of the strongest backcourts in all the NBA." This meant for Granger that he would have to come off the bench for Harrington, even after showing us some nice play late in his rookie season.
    Typo?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  4. #4
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still at Steal Three Years Later

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Typo?
    Sorry, at work when wrote this.

    Fixed, thanks.

  5. #5
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,644

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still at Steal Three Years Later

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, at work when wrote this.

    Fixed, thanks.
    Theres a typo in the title:

    I think it should read "Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later"
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  6. #6
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still at Steal Three Years Later

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Theres a typo in the title:

    I think it should read "Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later"
    Goodness...you guys. Sheesh.

    It was an accident. I did mean "a". I didn't copy and paste the title straight from Cornrows with the rest of my blog.

  7. #7
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,101
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    MillerTime is just a bit sensitive because when he first came here he rushed through his posts and everyone pointed out his typos in an effort to get him to take his time and make his thoughts more readable. He thinks this gives him the right to point out everyone else's once in a blue moon typos.

  8. #8
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    MillerTime is just a bit sensitive because when he first came here he rushed through his posts and everyone pointed out his typos in an effort to get him to take his time and make his thoughts more readable. He thinks this gives him the right to point out everyone else's once in a blue moon typos.
    Nah, they're okay. I'm glad they said something because I don't want my credibility to drop to the readers who don't know me on IndyCornrows.

    Spoiler Spoiler:

  9. #9
    Our hero! GrangerRanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Age
    28
    Posts
    951

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote







    The 2007-2008 season started with the Pacers playing really good ball. But again, injuries to key players (O'Neal, Diogu) slowed the team down, and the Pacers were playing sub-.500 ball.
    Sorry..

  10. #10
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    You guys are too much.

  11. #11
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    Quote Originally Posted by GrangerRanger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry..
    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You guys are too much.


    lol I know.

  12. #12
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,101
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looking back at prior drafts, number 17 doesn't doesn't always get you a superstar...
    Someone throw in the white towel...

  13. #13
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    So much for freakin' multitasking!

  14. #14
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    3,866

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    MillerTime is just a bit sensitive because when he first came here he rushed through his posts and everyone pointed out his typos in an effort to get him to take his time and make his thoughts more readable. He thinks this gives him the right to point out everyone else's once in a blue moon typos.
    Ouch.

  15. #15
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    Guys, I apologize. Like I said, I wrote this while I was at work, because it was on my mind and I needed to get it out before I forgot.

    I'm usually very good at catching my mistakes if there are any, but today is an exception.

    Enjoy.

  16. #16
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,644

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    MillerTime is just a bit sensitive because when he first came here he rushed through his posts and everyone pointed out his typos in an effort to get him to take his time and make his thoughts more readable. He thinks this gives him the right to point out everyone else's once in a blue moon typos.
    My intention was just to point out the typo, not to rub it in (if thats what you're thinking)...especially considering Duke probably wants to post this in his blog...Im not being sensitive at all
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  17. #17
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,371

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    Damn.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  18. #18
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He thinks this gives him the right to point out everyone else's once in a blue moon typos.
    I'm not sure what my excuse is then.

    Poor duke. Don't worry boss, we kid because we care.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. #19
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    8,832
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    Towards the end of the 2007-2008 season, Danny Granger had a string of 3 straight games where he scored in the mid-thirties (30, 37, 35 respectively) helping the Pacers gain a playoff spot. Not only that, but he averaged 24.7 points in the last 10 games of the season. The talk around sports' networks and internet sites, and the fans stated that the best of Danny Granger is yet to come...
    Did we make the playoffs last season?

  20. #20
    Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Richmond, IN
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,371

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did we make the playoffs last season?
    No, I believe the last time we actually made the playoffs was Danny's rookie season, which would be 2005-2006. Lost to the Nets in 6 games, IIRC.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions





  21. #21
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did we make the playoffs last season?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, I believe the last time we actually made the playoffs was Danny's rookie season, which would be 2005-2006. Lost to the Nets in 6 games, IIRC.
    They were trying to help gain a playoff spot. That wasn't a typo!

    YAY!

  22. #22

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    too bad we didn't draft rondo the following year

  23. #23
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,354
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    too bad we didn't draft rondo the following year
    Shoulda coulda

  24. #24
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,585
    Mood

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    Well, when you say he helped them gain a spot, that's saying they got a spot.

  25. #25
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,644

    Default Re: Danny Granger - Still a Steal Three Years Later

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    too bad we didn't draft rondo the following year
    Too bad we didnt draft Redd instead of Primož Brezec
    Too bad we didnt draft Carlos Boozer instead of Fred Jones
    Too bad we didnt draft Paul Milsap instead of Shawne Williams

    The list could go on and on for everytime
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



Similar Threads

  1. just how talented is Danny Granger?
    By Infinite MAN_force in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 12-30-2008, 10:18 PM
  2. One on One with Danny Granger (BDL Interview)
    By Kuq_e_Zi91 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 05:21 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 08:54 AM
  4. Mike Wells: How Much is Granger Worth?
    By Putnam in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 04:51 AM
  5. Ford releases Mock 6.
    By Anthem in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 06-24-2008, 03:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •