Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers are 26th in Attendace

Default Pacers are 26th in Attendace

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance?year=2009

I cant believe Raps are ahead of Boston
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers are 26th in Attendace

Loud crowds = momentum = more wins. :-\

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I cant believe Raps are ahead of Boston
    The Raptors have a larger arena than Boston. Boston is filling to 100% and can't do anymore.

If you look at percentages, then Lakers lead the league http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attend...9&seasonType=2
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

YAY we aren't last!!!

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If the Pacers average over 13,000 a night I can run a 4.1 40 and bench 500. I've been to every game. There have maybe been 2 games with 13,000+.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo

I'm pretty sure we were higher earlier in the season...

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    If the Pacers average over 13,000 a night I can run a 4.1 40 and bench 500. I've been to every game. There have maybe been 2 games with 13,000+.
    Yes, but the NBA only counts tickets sold and distributed in the attendance figures. No shows or tickets not used are never factored into any NBA teams figures

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    If you look at percentages, then Lakers lead the league http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attend...9&seasonType=2
    Actually that's total % of attendance for all games, including road games. The first PCT column is the one you should look at for percentage of seats filled at your home court. Dallas is, by no surprise, heads and shoulders above everyone else at 104%. What do they do, pack people into the vending booths?

An interesting side note - if you go up to the URL of the page, you'll see a "year=2009" string in there. You can manually change the 2009 to any year going as far back as 1994, whereas the drop-down box on the page only allows you to go back to '02-'03. Look at some of the crowds the Charlotte Hornets were pulling in, back from 1994-1998 It seems so long ago...

I dont see how Miami is as high as they are, they cant give away seats, I keep getting spamed for $5 seats PLUS food and drinks.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Are there any actual statistics kept that we fans have access to for the average price per ticket that is actually being paid for the tickets sold that make up the "attendance" figures? With the huge discounts that a significant amount of our current actual game attendees have been receiving, our attendance figures surely have been skewed a fair amount to the upside when compared to other franchises to account for us ranking as high as 26th.

How widespread are these deep discount programs throughout the league, anyway? Also, if they are widespread, what are other franchises doing for their season ticket holders to make up the drastic price reduction difference in any meaningful fashion? As a full season ticket holder for several seasons, I am stunned at the amount I have overpaid for the seats I have been contractually obligated to, and the lack of any meaningful response from my ticket rep regarding any possibility of refunds or anything else that is not tied to my needing to spend even more money than the $96 per seat that I have paid for club level for three years now (I was one of the last idiots who committed to the mandatory, at that time, three year contract required for club seats in an effort to avoid the lower bowl section 16 $130+ per seat pricing).

Without a significant olive branch (big price break or far more valuable perks) being offered by the franchise to its season ticket holders, I am sure that very few will renew, and the corporate accounts will reduce their commitments in favor of taking a chance on getting cheap tickets instead of being soaked up front for nearly as many unused tickets. Tough economic times affecting businesses encourage them to cut costs, client and employee entertainment being one of the non-core expenses that many are likely to cut.

I believe, in future years, without significant changes on the sidelines, on the court, and with respect to treatment of customers, we are in danger of either a move or being part of a long needed reduction in the total number of NBA franchises. How long the Simon's, or anyone else for that matter, are willing to absorb both the loss in current revenue and its associated loss of franchise valuation that I assume to be occurring is, I feel, coming up in the fairly near future.

Sorry about the rant.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Dallas is, by no surprise, heads and shoulders above everyone else at 104%. What do they do, pack people into the vending booths?
    Sounds like Cube should be expecting a visit from the fire marshall.

I hate Indy "fans", ie not you guys who are attending these games (in-towners of course). With the prices they ran out and the exciting games this team has had, even in losses, there is no good excuse not to enjoy some evenings with the Pacers. The fickleness is embarrassing.

"Oh, $10 is just too much, I have a family and a giant pickup truck to fill with gas".

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D23 View Post
    An interesting side note - if you go up to the URL of the page, you'll see a "year=2009" string in there. You can manually change the 2009 to any year going as far back as 1994, whereas the drop-down box on the page only allows you to go back to '02-'03. Look at some of the crowds the Charlotte Hornets were pulling in, back from 1994-1998 It seems so long ago...
    I used to go to a few games when my dad still lived there. They had their top attendance banners hanging too. Didn't like the location of the Hive, wasn't a huge fan of the seat layout, but it was a decent place to see a game.

The point to take on that one is that they didn't lose a team on fan interest, they lost a team on George Shinn is a monster a'hole that the entire city wanted to see gone. They froze him out till he moved away. But if he had instead sold the team you'd still have the Charlotte Hornets going strong, including Hugo which was named after the hurricane that ripped through there early in the team's history.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    YAY we aren't last!!!
    My thought as well.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Mood

Most people would agree with me that it is gonna take some time to get the fans back into the excitement known as Pacer Nation. It isn't gonna happen overnight and my beliefs are that this year is the expiremental and unloading players year.

In the 1st year who cares about the wins and losses. Our guys should be looking for how well is this new group meshing with each other and becoming a team, looking at the development of our young core, looking to identify a solid leader of this team, which Danny has done well. And the lqast duty this year should be to get the FO to make some moves to get us cap friendly where we could bring in 2 descent players (one great at specific area) and one who is a scorer that can play some defense.

Year two of the expirement should be focusing on tightening the mesh of the core players to where they all know each others strengths and weaknesses. The second priority would be to try to get our draftees and any FA we can buy into the big picture into the program we run and building a ton of rapport with the vets here, kind of like when Al stayed at Antonio Davis house his first year. The last thing in this year is developing that guy who is going to be our leader on the floor in a dominating fashion. This is the year that I believe we make a playoff contender. From the FO standpoint is to continue to trim payroll if we canto where we may be in a position to go after an elite player and be able to show them that we have a young core that he could lead. We would probably be bounced in round one or two.

Year three has us looking with great team chemistry, a solid young core, a group of tested veterans, and a deep bench to go to when we need it the most.

I may be crazy, but it just may work.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    "Oh, $10 is just too much, I have a family and a giant pickup truck to fill with gas".

I'm sure many will rally around insulting families for not spending more money on discretionary things like Pacers games.

I watch a lot of games on NBA League Pass and a lot of teams are running ticket specials like the Pacers. Probably 10 franchises or so are doing similar things as the Pacers.

On the actual figures, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the % - as the capacity seems like fuzzy math to me
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-07-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Sounds like Cube should be expecting a visit from the fire marshall.

I hate Indy "fans", ie not you guys who are attending these games (in-towners of course). With the prices they ran out and the exciting games this team has had, even in losses, there is no good excuse not to enjoy some evenings with the Pacers. The fickleness is embarrassing.

I never agree with the notion of "good" fans vs. "bad" fans. It's silly. It's like me asking somebody, "Why don't you like Dave Matthews more?" or "Why isn't blue your favorite color?"

This is a personal taste and preference thing, not a social or moral obligation. I support the Pacers as best I can because I like them, but I can't expect others to do the same just because they live in the same city.

The whole "our fans are better than your fans" is one of the silliest and most pointless of arguments on the planet.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I watch a lot of games on NBA League Pass and a lot of teams are running ticket specials like the Pacers. Probably 10 franchises or so are doing similar things as the Pacers.

On the actual figures, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the % - as the capacity seems like fuzzy math to me
    Most economists are stating that things will "get much worse before the get better". Unemployment in Indiana is on the rise, although our unemployment is not as bad as the national average (yet).

Many season ticket holders as well as the suite owners made their commitments for 2008-2009 before things started getting "really bad".

Suite owners have cut back signficantly on food, alcohol and dessert carts. At this time, I do know of suite holders that will not be renewing next year.

The biggest problem that I see is that the revenues are down for the Pacers, just like most other businesses, but the expense of salaries can't be signficantly reduced through layoffs since total player salaries comprise most of that expense and will probaby remain near the cap.

What this means is that, despite the number of fans we might see in the stands, the Pacers are having a miserable year financially, and next season will most certainly be even worse. Season ticket sales will probaby decline and the Pacers may have several suites that are not leased.

From an economic standpoint, I would think this is the worst state this franchise has been in since the telethon.

So, posted attendance really doesn't mean anything to me. I fear that all those no shows will translate into signficanly lower tickets sold next season.

If so, we are in greater danger of losing our team than we have ever been.

How many NBA teams has an increase in this years attendance over last years? My guess is less than a 1/3, and the Pacers are one of those that is up in attendance.

Toronto doesnt have much more max capacity then Boston, we just fill the damn house and are in the top 5 for loudest arena's and in the playoffs the roof comes off baby!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorsFan View Post
    Toronto doesnt have much more max capacity then Boston, we just fill the damn house and are in the top 5 for loudest arena's and in the playoffs the roof comes off baby!!!

Boston Gardens 14,890

Air Canada Centre 19,800

Of the thirty teams, seven (7) have increased average attendance over last year and four (4) have remained flat. (The four remaining flat, BOS, DET, LAL, & POR, are presumably at capacity.)

Of the 7 teams that have increased attendance, the largest (naturally) is Oklahoma City, who jumped by 5,190 per game after moving from Seattle. Only two others have increased by more than 1,000: New Orleans (2,775) and Indiana (1,579).

Of the 19 teams whose attendance has declined, only three (3) have seen declines of greater than 1,000 patrons: MIA (1,934), LAC (1,859), and SAC (1,792).

Of course, there are more Pacer seats being given away or sold at a deep discount, so it is unlikely that the revenue has increased (or even stayed flat). Also, as others have noted, it is impossible to count the no-shows at this point.

I am hopeful that more people are seeing the Pacers this year than last. I have been told many times by casual observers that they enjoy this new team and are willing to watch them more than in the past few years. However, they still don't expect a lot of wins, and this enhanced reputation probably has not translated into a greater willingness to spend money on them. This is complicated by how badly the economy has fallen off in the last few months.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaDragon View Post

Boston Gardens 14,890

Air Canada Centre 19,800
    Of course, the Celtics play in TDBankNorth Garden, and have averaged 18,624 fans the last two years.