Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harrison’s last hurrah with the Colts?- Yahoo

Default Harrison’s last hurrah with the Colts?- Yahoo

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

By Jason Cole, Yahoo! Sports

Trent Dilfer spent 14 years in the NFL as a quarterback, is married to his college sweetheart and has three daughters.

Yet he can only dream about the relationship quarterback Peyton Manning and wide receiver Marvin Harrison have developed over the past 11 years. Sadly, that relationship may be nearing the end of its record-setting run as the NFL playoffs are set to begin.

For the 36-year-old Harrison, his days with the Indianapolis Colts may be coming to a quiet close. As injuries have slowed his ability and turned him into an afterthought in the Colts offense, his legacy as one of the most productive wide receivers in the NFL has faded just as fast.

Soon, it may only be a memory.

The Colts open the playoffs Saturday at San Diego in an AFC wild-card matchup. Between Indy’s final contest this postseason and the start of free agency, Harrison could become a salary-cap casualty, his $6 million base salary for next season becoming too much for a man with so little impact on the offense.

To Dilfer, now an analyst for ESPN, that will signal the end of something the NFL has rarely seen and may never see again.

“In today’s version of football, it’s almost unimaginable to think of it happening again,” Dilfer said. “You look around the league at young quarterback-receiver combinations and I just don’t see it happening. You have Matt Ryan and Roddy White in Atlanta, Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson in Houston, but I can’t even see those guys getting to where Peyton and Marvin got in their career together.

To Dilfer, that’s the ultimate level of trust. “After the hundreds of thousands of reps they took together, all
    the throws in practice, in games, in critical situations, it’s just unreal,” Dilfer emphasized. “At their peak, I can’t think of a more unique quarterback-receiver combination in the history of the league. [Joe] Montana-[Jerry] Rice or [Steve] Young-Rice is the only thing close and I don’t think even those guys had this level of trust.

It’s really just trust. Peyton learned to trust every little body movement that Marvin made and Marvin learned to trust when Peyton was going to throw based on what Peyton was looking at. It’s amazing.”

The statistics bear that out. Manning and Harrison have set records for the most career completions, yards and touchdowns ever between a quarterback and receiver.

“They’re really good at being able to work together and react to what you do,” said New England coach Bill Belichick, who has faced the pair numerous times the past decade. “The most important thing is that for nine or 10 years now, they’ve always been out there. Until recently, they weren’t even on the injury report.

“When you have that kind of continuity, you learn to work together so well. You may play certain defenses to take them away, show them a different look to slow them down, but they can figure it out pretty quickly. And when they do figure it out, they’re going to hurt you.”

That changed drastically in the 2007 season when Harrison suffered a knee injury that limited him to five games and only 20 catches. Then there were questions regarding his presence and availability in training camp following a shooting incident near one of his commercial properties in his hometown of Philadelphia.

This year, he had 60 catches for 636 yards and five touchdowns, third best on the team. His impact steadily declined over the season as ‘07 first-round draft pick Anthony Gonzalez played an increased role (57 catches for 664 yards and four touchdowns).

In fact, in Manning’s best game of the season, a 31-24 comeback victory at Jacksonville in Week 16, Harrison didn’t even play. Manning still managed to complete 29 of 34 passes for 364 yards and three touchdown passes because he has made the transition away from Harrison out of necessity.

“Basically, they’ve gone 18 months without really being able to throw to each other on a regular basis,” Indianapolis coach Tony Dungy said following the Jacksonville victory. “So that’s obviously had an impact on Peyton and how he has adjusted over last season and this season.”

That adjustment will help the Colts as they deal with the unfortunate reality of salary-cap statistics. Harrison’s contract for next season features a $6 million base salary and an overall cap number of $13.4 million. The Colts can save the $6 million by letting go of Harrison.

That money will be vital as the team works to re-sign players such as center Jeff Saturday or cornerback Kelvin Hayden, or go after a free agent such as wide receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh or defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth.

Regardless of what the Colts do it’s a simple reality that everybody understands. In the NFL, every great player relationship must come to an end.
    “Marvin knows that this is probably going to happen,” said a source close to Harrison. “I don’t think he’s happy about it, but he knows. He’ll accept it. He doesn’t have a lot of choice.”
    Last edited by Suaveness; 12-31-2008 at 01:58 AM.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Default Re: Harrison’s last hurrah with the Colts?- Yahoo

If Marvin is ready to work out his contract Ie lenghth or salary then we keep him if not it is time to welcome Blunt from Oregon or Dez Bryant into our offense.

Mood

I know Marvin is on the decline of his career but I hope he retires as a colt. If he would decide to retire at the end of the year, there is talent in our young group of WR that could possibly step up and somewhat fill the void. Roy Hall is a beast in waiting and now is finally healthy. Gonzo has been steadily improving game after game and could slip into the full-time role easily. This is just a fact of life that people get older and lose a step or two. Regardless of what he decides to do I wish him the best in his future.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't see Marvin renegotiating anything to help the Colts (hopefully I get surprised).

After all, this is the guy who said that the "ball is brown everywhere" (or something to that effect) before the current contract was negotiated.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-03-2009 at 02:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see Marvin renegotiating anything to help the Colts (hopefully I get surprised).

After all, this is the guy who said that the "ball is brown everywhere" or something to that effect before the current contract was negotiated.
    Agreed.....It's a business so I'm not blaming him for that, but folks shouldn't be fooled into thinking Marvin will throw himself on a grenade for the team. The loner attitude can backfire sometimes as there won't be a parade of players begging for him to stay and Polian is all about what have you done for me lately. Of course that's why Polian is an @ss but a great GM.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Today could very well mark the end of an era. I don't expect either Harrison or Dungy to return next season.

I think it's possible Marvin could renegotiate - but only if he doesn't see a big offer on the horizon. But I could see him going for, say, 3 years at $4 million per if the most anyone else would give him is $2 million to sign. He won't do it because he has warm fuzzies about Indy.

Then the big question becomes whether Polian takes him up on it. It's time for Gonzales to be a #2 receiver and Gijon Robinson is ready for a bigger role. As an aside, does anyone think he might be converted to FB? To me, he looks like he runs well enough to get 4-5 carries per game as a changeup, he sure seems like he'd make a good lead blocker and we know he can grab the ball coming out of the backfield.

Just a thought but for whatever reason, he looks very "fullbackish" to me.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

I've thought all season Marv will end up in New England next year. He'd be a great fit in that offseason w/ Welker in the slot.

It's sad how washed up Marvin Harrison is.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    It's sad how washed up Marvin Harrison is.
    He's definitely not washed up. He's past his prime -- no doubt -- but he can still be a contributing WR on any NFL team.

Quote Originally Posted by YoSoyIndy View Post
    He's definitely not washed up. He's past his prime -- no doubt -- but he can still be a contributing WR on any NFL team.
    It depends how you define washed up. The fact is, he had a mediocre season that didn't come close to warranting his massive pay check. It's time for a serious contract renegotiation or to cut ties all together.

I don't have a problem with Harrison not having it anymore. Every single athlete in the history of professional point reaches a point where they can't do it anymore. The fact that Harrison was still the best at age 34 (2 years ago) is amazing. But his skills have diminished so greatly that we can no longer pay him what we pay him.

Most of Harrison's catches this season seem to be for less than 10 yards (like his 3 last night). Was he even considered in any of the second half plays last night? It sure didn't seem like it. I know he has been lousy in the playoffs for his entire career, but he was definitely the 4th option last night.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-04-2009 at 05:05 PM.

Marvin with another spectacular playoff performance last night.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Marvin with another spectacular playoff performance last night.
    Yep

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...0_playoffs.htm

If there's one legit knock on his HOF career, it's his Houdini like disappearances in the postseason.

Of course one stat that doesn't show up is his spectacular 2 point conversion catch against NE in the AFCCG game. That was beautiful.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 01-04-2009 at 06:08 PM.

I never pegged Marvin as one of the athletes that would hang on too long. I always expected it would end with him just not showing up for training camp or just disappearing from training camp. No warning.... just one day him waking up and deciding he didn't want to do it anymore. One last strange move for a strange bird.

...guess I was wrong....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

How ineffective would Marvin be if we had an EFFECTIVE (or is it AFFECTIVE??) running game?
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    How ineffective would Marvin be if we had an EFFECTIVE (or is it AFFECTIVE??) running game?
    Having a running game wouldn't fix the fact that Harrison can't get separation on CB's anymore.

C'mon Geezer, we still ranked 4th in Passing Yards Per Game. Manning still threw for 4000 yards like he does every year. Only difference is now those yards are going to Wayne, Clark, and Gonzalez before Harrison. Reggie Wayne still had over 1100 yards this season, and Clark had a monster season.

The writing is on the wall. We still have a tremendous passing game, only now Marvin is 4th when he used to be 1. The guy is as done as done gets.

Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer View Post
    The question should be just how much better can our passing game get IF we had a running game?

Manning and our other receivers did fine. Marvin just didn't have the speed this season that he's always relied on... nor did he make much effort if the ball didn't drop in his hands on deep balls. In fact, IMHO why Marvin's season improved at all was the Colts quit trying to even go to Marvin deep and started throwing to him in short patterns where a precision route over speed was the most important thing.

That, and I do think some of the criticism of Marvin helped light a fire under him to try a little harder as questions about his declining game grew loud.

One thing about Marvin's career... any YAC were on the deep balls. For the short throws Marvin has always crumpled like a wet rag at the first chance of contact. He goes down faster than Sonny Liston.
    Last edited by Bball; 01-05-2009 at 12:33 AM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by YoSoyIndy View Post
    I've thought all season Marv will end up in New England next year. He'd be a great fit in that offseason w/ Welker in the slot.

I just don't see that. All backup wide receivers for New England have major roles in special teams, along with Welker. Only Moss and Gaffney are essentially "only" wide receivers, and that type of versatility is expected.

Unless Harrison were to bypass Gaffney (and currently Gaffney would be far ahead) I see no way that Harrison would crack the roster. Given his quiet demeanor, it would also seem that there would also be little locker room/ veteran leadership benefit.

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Polian is an @ss but a great GM.
    Why is he a "great" GM? He seems to be squandering the prime of Peyton Manning's career with rosters that don't seem particularly well-constructed.

For example, he seemed stunned that a player that fell to him late in the draft only because other teams were scared to death of his drug issues would have... drug issues, and needed to be cut. Then another guy that they were relying on quit since he decided that he doesn't really love football. Isn't that something you would try to get a grasp on very early in the hiring process?

It seems to me that Polian's weaknesses are more impactful (in a negative way) toward playoff preparedness than Dungy's.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 01-05-2009 at 10:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    Why is he a "great" GM? He seems to be squandering the prime of Peyton Manning's career will rosters that don't seem particularly well-constructed.

For example, he seemed stunned that a player that fell to him late in the draft only because other teams were scared to death of his drug issues would have... drug issues, and needed to be cut. Then another guy that they were relying on quit since he decided that he doesn't really love football. Isn't that something you would try to get a grasp on very early in the hiring process?

It seems to me that Polian's weaknesses are more impactful (in a negative way) toward playoff preparedness than Dungy's.
    Good points and I can't argue that the guy is not perfect. But considering he was the GM for the Bills SB runs, then Carolina and followed that with the Colts I would think his track record does somewhat speak to his abilities. Don't forget Polian does answer to Irsay, Irsay loves Tony and gives him free reign, and you have to take my word for it Polian does not agree with Tony always. In fact look at the focus placed on the Bills and Panthers under Polian. Polian is a big, big fan of defense.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post

For example, he seemed stunned that a player that fell to him late in the draft only because other teams were scared to death of his drug issues would have... drug issues, and needed to be cut.
    Who's this? I'm scratching my head.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Who's this? I'm scratching my head.
    Ed Johnson

Ed wasn't drafted.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

Quote Originally Posted by SoupIsGood View Post
    Ed wasn't drafted.
    Oh, then beats me.

That's who I was thinking of... he did win a starting position after being undrafted, and he was only undrafted due to his issues

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10970971