Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Just installed Vista...

  1. #1
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,231

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Question Just installed Vista...

    And I'm actually liking it so far.

    However, it seems to have wiped out my audio driver or something, because I no longer get any sound. The manual external volume control on my laptop is broken too, so that doesn't help.

    Does anyone have any ideas on what I need to do to fix this?

  2. #2
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    I think my audio went out when I switched to Vista, too. The only thing I know to do is go to the website of the audiocard (or motherboard if it's built-in) and look for drivers to solve the problem.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    Yes, usually that's a driver problem. It might be available from the laptop/soundcard manufacturer's website as Hicks said. If you're unlucky, they may not have one for Vista though. Also, the manual volume controls on the laptop are usually controlled by a different driver. It's usually labeled something recognizable like "front panel driver" or possibly the chipset driver.

  4. #4
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    Vista is great. (If you have the hardware to run it.)

    I've been using Vista as my primary OS since November of 2006 when it was released to businesses.

    Make sure that all your drivers are up-to-date for your Vista experience to be the best it can!

  5. #5
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,078
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Vista is great. (If you have the hardware to run it.)

    I've been using Vista as my primary OS since November of 2006 when it was released to businesses.

    Make sure that all your drivers are up-to-date for your Vista experience to be the best it can!

  6. #6
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...right.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    12,042

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    Easy solution... Get a Mac

  8. #8
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    Quote Originally Posted by Newman8r View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Easy solution... Get a Mac
    &(*%^#_@!!!

  9. #9
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,231

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    I used a Mac a lot this semester. Don't like it.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    I bought a new laptop in April and it came with Vista - thought about replacing that with XP but after my self-imposed mandatory waiting period of a few weeks to decide if I just hated it because it was new I kept it. There are a couple of things I don't care for, mostly related to secure networking when I'm on the road but beyond that it's been fine once I got used to it.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  11. #11
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,231

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    Okay, so I have a Toshiba Tecra A8-EZ8313 which apparently has a Realtek audio driver. However, I cannot find where to update my drivers anywhere on the Toshiba site.

    God, I hate Toshiba.

  12. #12
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,078
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Okay, so I have a Toshiba Tecra A8-EZ8313 which apparently has a Realtek audio driver. However, I cannot find where to update my drivers anywhere on the Toshiba site.

    God hates Microsoft.
    Fixed.

  13. #13
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,992

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  14. #14
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,231

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    I finally found the driver and installed it, restarted my computer, and still have no sound.

  15. #15
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    What is your PC or sound card manufacturer?

  16. #16
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,231

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    I'm not sure. It came pre-installed.

    My computer says the audio driver is working.

  17. #17
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not sure. It came pre-installed.

    My computer says the audio driver is working.
    Give me the manufacturer of the PC.

    Also, do you have Windows Live Messenger?

  18. #18
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,992

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    Make sure it is not muted. Get to your audio properties to check. Make sure Volume and Wave volume are up and not muted in your mixer.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  19. #19
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,231

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Give me the manufacturer of the PC.

    Also, do you have Windows Live Messenger?
    It's a Toshiba.

    I don't have WLM, unless it came pre-installed with Vista. I'm slowly re-downloading all my programs.

  20. #20
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,992

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    BTW... for the life of me I don't know why anyone would switch from XP to Vista. I can see sticking with Vista if that is what your computer comes with... And that said I punted Vista off my laptop and was much happier with XP Pro. The laptop was much snappier on XP Pro than the installed Vista.

    Bad boy Shade!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  21. #21
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,231

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Make sure it is not muted. Get to your audio properties to check. Make sure Volume and Wave volume are up and not muted in your mixer.

    -Bball
    It's not muted. However, like I mentioned before, the external audio control is broken, so maybe it reset to 0 after the reformatting? I don't know where to find the external audio control within the system.

  22. #22
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,231

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BTW... for the life of me I don't know why anyone would switch from XP to Vista. I can see sticking with Vista if that is what your computer comes with... And that said I punted Vista off my laptop and was much happier with XP Pro. The laptop was much snappier on XP Pro than the installed Vista.

    Bad boy Shade!
    My XP was buggy as hell, with a load of "broken" stuff that came on it when I got the laptop.

  23. #23
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    BTW... for the life of me I don't know why anyone would switch from XP to Vista. I can see sticking with Vista if that is what your computer comes with... And that said I punted Vista off my laptop and was much happier with XP Pro. The laptop was much snappier on XP Pro than the installed Vista.

    Bad boy Shade!
    There really isn't anything wrong with Vista. Yeah, upgrades always have problems to start off with, but it's all okay.

  24. #24
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,992

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There really isn't anything wrong with Vista. Yeah, upgrades always have problems to start off with, but it's all okay.
    It is all OK if you want your computer to run slower. Vista is prettier, but it's a hardware hog. Plus, it does a lot of hand holding I don't like. I can't imagine any machine that wouldn't be snappier with XP as compared to Vista. Of course if you want the Vista goodies then that is the way to go. I was prepared to live with Vista on my laptop but one of the major programs I wanted to use refused to work with Vista so I punted it and went to XP Pro. Not only did my program run again but my computer got a speed boost as well. And there was nothing that Vista offered that mattered to me at the time.

    I picked up a laptop for a church and it had Vista on it and it did what it needed to do, so I can understand leaving well enough alone.... but I wonder if poor Shade would've been better off with an XP reinstall...

    But it's too late for that now.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  25. #25
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,992

    Default Re: Just installed Vista...

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's not muted. However, like I mentioned before, the external audio control is broken, so maybe it reset to 0 after the reformatting? I don't know where to find the external audio control within the system.
    When you say "external audio control" are you just talking about the volume control buttons? Don't they just trigger the software volume control? IOW, if you turn the computer down via the buttons you'd see the software mixer control go down (if you have it called up in the first place)?

    If we're on the same page then I don't think that could be your problem or you'd see it in the software.

    Did you try the driver I found and see if it is the same as what you found? I'm pretty sure it's the right one...

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •