Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Charles Barkley in Trouble

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    This must be a bad dream.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not really where I want to be.
    Posts
    1,376
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Charles Barkley in Trouble

    Arrested on suspicion of DUI.

    CNN (no reporter name given)

    http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/12/31/...est/index.html

    (CNN) -- Basketball commentator and former hoops star Charles Barkley was arrested Wednesday in Scottsdale, Arizona, on suspicion of drunken driving, a police spokesman said. Police say Charles Barkley declined to take a breath test to measure his blood-alcohol level Wednesday.
    Lt. Eric Shuhandler of the Gilbert Police Department said an officer pulled Barkley over after he ran a stop sign in Scottsdale's Old Town area, a trendy spot known for its nightclubs and bars. Gilbert and Scottsdale are in the Phoenix metro area.
    The officer conducted field tests, Shuhandler said, but Barkley declined to take a breath test to measure his blood-alcohol level.
    "When he arrived at the station, police administered a blood test, which is customary of our police department to do," Shuhandler said, adding that Barkley consented to the blood test.
    The former NBA power forward was cited for driving while impaired and released.
    "It was a pretty routine arrest," Shuhandler said.
    Barkley, 45, is now a commentator for TNT's coverage of the NBA. Although he is well known for entertaining comments and cocky attitude, he also compiled an impressive résumé as a professional basketball player.
    A Hall of Famer and 11-time All-Star, Barkley is one of four players in history to rack up more than 20,000 points, 10,000 rebounds and 4,000 assists in a career. He also earned the NBA's most valuable player designation in 1993 and brought home gold medals with the U.S. Olympic basketball team in 1992 and 1996.
    His commanding performance on the court earned him the nicknames "Sir Charles" and the "Round Mound of Rebound."
    Barkley was drafted out of Auburn University in 1984 by the Philadelphia 76ers and played 16 seasons with the Sixers, Phoenix Suns and Houston Rockets before he was permanently sidelined in 1999 with a ruptured tendon in his left knee.

  2. #2
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    Oh, Charles. Say it ain't so!

    LOL

  3. #3
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,297

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble


  4. #4
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,090

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    That's turrible, absolutely turrible.

  5. #5
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,297

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    GET ME THEM SOCKS!

  6. #6
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    So he took a blood test down at the station... what did the blood test show?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  7. #7
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,062
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So he took a blood test down at the station... what did the blood test show?
    You are not going to get blood alcohol test results that quickly. Next week, you'll get your answer.

  8. #8
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,257

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    I wonder who will be filling in on the next TNT broadcast.

  9. #9
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble


    Good Grief... Call a damn cab!

    Dad always told me to keep $40 hidden in the wallet for cab fare... you never know when your car isn't going to be there for you. He meant it more for getting to work, but it seemed like I used it more to get my buzzed/drunk *** home, more often then not!

    It's too easy to be stopped and accused of DUI to even take a chance. Out of all my friends that have been stopped for DUI, it seems like "rolling a stop sign", "bad tail/brake light", or "not using a turn signal" lead to their apprehension more then swerving or "looking drunk" on the road!

    I guess what I'm getting at is, why do celebs do this? They seem to have more at risk with their status and PR. I just don't get it when they have people all the time telling them what and how to do things that someone doesn't tell them to call a damn cab.

    Drunk or not....Over the legal limit or not, that's just foolish!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  10. #10
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    Dad always told me to keep $40 hidden in the wallet for cab fare... you never know when your car isn't going to be there for you. He meant it more for getting to work, but it seemed like I used it more to get my buzzed/drunk *** home, more often then not!
    It's so hard for me to picture you like that...

  11. #11
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's so hard for me to picture you like that...
    Good, I may go into politics someday.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  12. #12
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good, I may go into politics someday.
    I'll sell your PD admin seat to someone else.

  13. #13
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's so hard for me to picture you like that...
    :sings: If you could only see me now... *hic*
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  14. #14
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    :sings: If you could only see me now... *hic*
    lol...

  15. #15

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    There's a reason Charles didn't want a cab: http://www.tmz.com/2008/12/31/barkle...-was-oral-sex/

  16. #16
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess what I'm getting at is, why do celebs do this? They seem to have more at risk with their status and PR.
    I don't really think this will shatter the public perception of the Chuckster or anything.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  17. #17
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't really think this will shatter the public perception of the Chuckster or anything.
    I think this enhanced my perception of the Chuckster, if possible.

  18. #18
    It Might Be a Soft J JayRedd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    12,158

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by Roy Munson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder who will be filling in on the next TNT broadcast.
    Why wouldn't Chuck be there?

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think this enhanced my perception of the Chuckster, if possible.
    Agreed.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

    Follow my twitter:

    @8pts9secs


  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    57
    Posts
    1,257

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think this enhanced my perception of the Chuckster, if possible.
    Which part were you impressed with? The drunk driving, or the solicticing a whore for a BJ?

  20. #20
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,297

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    Absolutely pathetic. Barkley could have killed someone in his haste to get a blowjob. Really? What the **** is wrong with people?

  21. #21
    This must be a bad dream.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not really where I want to be.
    Posts
    1,376
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    Well this will certainly look good when he decides to persue those political aspirations
    of his...for his opponent that is.

    lol

    Sounds like old Charles was having just too much fun there.

  22. #22
    This must be a bad dream.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not really where I want to be.
    Posts
    1,376
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    Further info posted at IndyStar this afternoon:

    http://www.indystar.com/article/2009...EWS01/90101008

    Cops: Barkley was speeding to get sex

    By Nathan Gonzalez and Monique DeVoe / The Arizona Republic
    Posted: January 1, 2009

    Former Phoenix Suns player and NBA star Charles Barkley told police he was in a hurry to receive oral sex from a female passenger when he ran through a stop sign drunk early Wednesday, a police report states.
    The report, released late Wednesday by Gilbert police, details how Barkley not only made candid references to his impending rendezvous with an unnamed woman for oral sex, but also how he at least half-seriously implored a civilian police employee to help him get out of the DUI bust.


    The 11-time NBA All-Star was arrested, cited and released on suspicion of misdemeanor DUI and being impaired to the slightest degree. Gilbert police Lt. Pete Smith pulled over Barkley’s black Infiniti SUV at 1:30 a.m. after it rolled through a stop sign about 10 mph near 75th Street and 6th Avenue in Scottsdale.

    “He was very respectful and very cooperative,” said Gilbert police Lt. Eric Shuhandler. “It was a very routine DUI arrest.”

    Smith was one of dozens of East Valley DUI Taskforce officers from 10 different police agencies who have been combing area streets for suspected drunk drivers since Thanksgiving. Barkley’s was one of 90 DUI arrests made Tuesday night in Scottsdale alone.

    In a statement to The Associated Press, Barkley said he was “disappointed that I put myself in that situation. The Scottsdale police were fantastic. Now it is a legal matter and I will not comment any further as it is a legal matter.”

    The reference to Scottsdale police reflects Barkley’s apparent lack of knowledge about the regional DUI task force and how the arresting officer’s department assumes jurisdiction for an arrest no matter where it occurred.

    Smith was in an unmarked patrol car when the SUV roll passed the stop sign, the police report states. The SUV stopped just south of the intersection and a female climbed into the passenger seat.

    Smith pulled over Barkley, who blocked the southbound lane and had bloodshot, watery eyes and had the smell of alcohol on his breath, the report states.

    “I asked if he had been drinking and he said, ‘Yes I have,’ ” Smith writes in the report. Barkley then admitted to having a “couple” drinks.

    Smith gave Barkley a field sobriety test, which he failed, Shuhandler said. At the advice of his body guard, who Barkley said was a police officer, the basketball star refused to take a portable breathalyzer test but submitted to a blood test.
    Those results will not be available for another week.

    While being processed at the East Valley DUI Taskforce command post, Barkley told police, “I was going to drive around the corner and get” oral sex, the report states. He explained he had engaged in oral sex with the same woman last week, the report added.

    He then told civilian employee, “I’ll tattoo your name on my ass” if it would get him out of the DUI, according to the report.

    Shortly before leaving the command post in a taxi cab because his SUV was towed, Barkley shook hands with several officers, Shuhandler said.

    Barkley was returning from the Dirty Pretty Rock Bar near Camelback and Miller roads where he spent about three hours with a large group of 40 people, said owner Ryan Jocque. The party included actor Jaleel White, who played TV nerd Steve Urkel from the 1990s sitcom Family Matters, and football player Michael Strahan.

    “Charles is a very good customer of ours,” Jocque said.

    Despite a turbulent end to the year, Shuhandler said he hoped the former Phoenix Sun star would turn the negative experience into a positive, Shuhandler said.

    “He has a chance to do something good with this. I hope he does,” Shuhandler said.

    A court date in Scottsdale Municipal Court has yet to be scheduled.

    Nicknamed “Sir Charles,” Barkley was an 11-time NBA All-Star and league MVP in 1993. He played 16 NBA seasons for the Philadelphia 76ers, Phoenix Suns and Houston Rockets, and played on the USA Olympic “Dream Team” in 1992 and 1996.

    Arizona Republic reporters Clarissa Dodge and Kristena Hansen contributed to this report.

  23. #23
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,127

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    You have the right to remain silent and this shows why you should do that. EVERYTHING you say will be turned against you. For better or worse, let the evidence speak for itself. Don't add to it. Better yet, don't drink and drive.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  24. #24
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Charles Barkley in Trouble

    I'd like to know what his wife has to say about the whole thing.

Similar Threads

  1. LeBron Feuding with Barkley
    By Roy Munson in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 03:27 AM
  2. Barkley to have a televised colonoscopy
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-26-2008, 01:17 PM
  3. Would Charles Barkley make a good NBA head coach?
    By Twes in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 08-22-2008, 04:29 AM
  4. " Fix Charles Barkley's Swing" a reality show on the Golf Channel
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-14-2008, 09:17 PM
  5. Charles Barkley pays busboy's college tuition
    By rock747 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-26-2008, 11:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •