View Poll Results: Who do you like better? JOb or Rick?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jim O'Brien

    23 39.66%
  • Rick Carlisle

    35 60.34%
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 497

Thread: The Official "Fire Jim O'Brien!" Thread

  1. #201
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: When will Bird do something about O'brien?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Has it been considered that maybe OBrien is not very good at scaling things to his personnel?

    I'm not making that claim, just throwing it out for some discussion....
    That's an interesting question, particularly defensively. I do know that our offensive pace factor the last two years (97.7 & 96.2) is higher than Obie's other full years (Bos - 92.5 & 90.9; Philly - 94.9). It should also be noted that his teams' Defensive Ratings were inversely related to their pace factor. That is, the 2003 team in Boston at 90.9 was ranked 5th, the 2002 team at 92.5 was ranked 7th, and the Philly team (94.9) was ranked 10th. Last year's Pacer team (97.7) was ranked 15th, and this year's (96.2) is ranked 18th. It would seem that faster the pace, the less effective his defense.

    Of course, there may be a fallacy in that discussion because it's based on three different franchises with three completely different sets of players.

    The other interesting thing I found with Obie's teams is that their offenses, for all the points they score, aren't particularly good. Last year's team was team was ranked 19th in Offensive Rating (Points per 100 possessions), and this year's is only 18th. This is not an anomaly, as his highest ranked full season was the 2003 Celtics, who were 17th. His other two full seasons (2002 Boston, 2005 Philly) were both 24th.

    I'm not entirely sure how to compare the teams, but if you look at the roster for the 2003 Celtics, his best defensive team, I don't see a ton of individual defensive skills there.

  2. #202
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: When will Bird do something about O'brien?

    Its gotten to the point that I'm fairly sure Obie and Bird have decided to tank. You simply don't make the decisions he does unless you plan on losing. I'm not saying that as an insult, just a fact. His decisions can only be explained by tanking.

    Now, as for whether or not he will be back. I think he will be. I hate him as a coach, but fricken Dunleavy game him a perfect excuse to a bad season. This off season will show me a lot about Bird. I love what Bird has done in the draft, but he is at all the home games, maybe away too I don't know. If he has payed attention to any of these games, I would hope he could look past the injury of Dunleavy and see the decisions Obie has been making. As a coach, Obie doesn't look to patch up the teams weaknesses, he simply tries to make our strong suit, stronger. Sadly, that still leaves us with a gaping hole somewhere else. In this case, our defense.

    Obie talks about defense a lot, but he doesn't coach it. I'm sick of hearing people say we don't have the players to be a good defensive team. Jack is a good defender at the PG position, Rush is a good defender, Daniels is a good defender, Granger is a good defender, Hibbert is a decent defender, Foster is a decent defender, McRoberts is a good defender, and so on. Now, I'm not saying we should have the best team defensively in the NBA, but it should be leagues better than what it is. His defensive rotations and sub patterns make no sense at all. He is an awful coach for this team.

  3. #203
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: When will Bird do something about O'brien?

    Here are some thoughts/questions about the defense. I am willing to assume that the scheme works due to the past sucesses of O'Brien/Harter defenses.

    - I think the players are overdoing the force the guy toward the baseline concept. I see this from all of our guards regularly. Instead of playing tough man defense, they slide too far toward the lane to force their man to drive baseline. The result is that they practically invite their man to penetrate which then starts the whole problematic rotation cycle. I'd much rather have them told, "Don't let your man drive, but if he does, push him toward the baseline."

    - I think the rotational abilities of this team are severely limited by the lack of frontcourt athleticism. Rasho and Hibbert cannot be asked to rotate and switch, they're way too slow. Troy is better, but still not quick enough to pull it off. Foster, McRoberts, and Baston seem to be the only bigs we have who are quick/athletic enough to excel in this system. If you look at the defensive stats on 82games.com, you'll notice that our defense is markedly better with Foster and/or McRoberts on the floor (99.6 & 99.8 points/poss.) than it is with Murphy, Hibbert, or Nesterovic (who are all over 104 points/poss). In this respect, I do think the defense is very poorly matched with the personnel.

    - Someone among our perimeter defenders is making mistakes and leaving guys open. I know it's hard to identify because of the constant rotation, but I know that the system is not designed to leave good shooters wide open. My hunch is that Marquis and Danny leave their men pretty regularly to try and make "plays" on defense (blocks for Danny, deflections and steals for Marquis).

    - Ultimately, I don't know how we could tweak the defense to improve it. What worries me is that it seems to be getting worse. I can buy the argument that a team with a complex defensive system and 7 new players has a long way to come and won't be there by game 34, but we're seemingly worse now than we were at the beginning of the year, and that is bothersome to me. My hunch would be to tell our guards to more strongly deny any type of penetration, especially from the top of the key. It's fine to force a guy toward the baseline from the wing where he's going to wind up trapping himself, but from the top of the key or the free throw line extended, allowing penetration should really not be exceptable at all.

    I'd love to hear some thoughts from all of you who are smarter than me about this.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  4. #204
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,748

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rick Carlisle vs Jim O'Brien

    Last night's game is a perfect example of why I think JOb is a horrible coach. I know coaches can't make every decision for their players, and I know they can look at their bench and say there is no one else to put in for them so they have to leave some players on the floor, BUT........

    When they battle back from such a big hole, and then you have JJack running down and shooting the ball with no offensive players under the basket with 4 Denver players back. If he was getting to the rim, then that's one thing, but pull up jumpers with 20secs left on the clock, and they aren't even ft range jumpers but just inside the 3pt line. That's horrible decision making, completely horrible.

    Do we see JOb call a TO and rip into him? Do we see any type of correcting the behavior? No. They, the team, continually runs up and down the floor chucking the first open shot they see. Watching Jeff Foster shoot from the elbow, or further, makes me want to puke. And the sad thing is JOb encourages it.

    It's obviously not as bad, but it gives me flash backs of Tinsley during the PHO game. He just stands there and watches the whole thing unfold, instead of letting them know that is unacceptable decision making.

    I see the same mistakes, or horrible coaching philosophy that leads to horrible decisions, made game after game after game. It's god awful to watch and completely frustrating. They busted their asses off last night to get back into the game, then start getting shot happy. Say what you will about Rick's slow tempo offense, but I know if he was coaching and Anthony Carter was guarding Danny, DG would have saw the ball a hell of a lot more on the block to abuse him. Watching Carter slip through screen after screen and staying in Danny's jersey was comical. The term mismatch must completely be foreign to them.

    I just don't see improvements, which is a lot like last year.

  5. #205
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: When will Bird do something about O'brien?

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here are some thoughts/questions about the defense. I am willing to assume that the scheme works due to the past sucesses of O'Brien/Harter defenses.

    - I think the players are overdoing the force the guy toward the baseline concept. I see this from all of our guards regularly. Instead of playing tough man defense, they slide too far toward the lane to force their man to drive baseline. The result is that they practically invite their man to penetrate which then starts the whole problematic rotation cycle. I'd much rather have them told, "Don't let your man drive, but if he does, push him toward the baseline."
    I think you're onto something here. It does seem that many times, their positioning seems "exaggerated".

    Quote Originally Posted by mel
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    - I think the rotational abilities of this team are severely limited by the lack of frontcourt athleticism. Rasho and Hibbert cannot be asked to rotate and switch, they're way too slow. Troy is better, but still not quick enough to pull it off. Foster, McRoberts, and Baston seem to be the only bigs we have who are quick/athletic enough to excel in this system. If you look at the defensive stats on 82games.com, you'll notice that our defense is markedly better with Foster and/or McRoberts on the floor (99.6 & 99.8 points/poss.) than it is with Murphy, Hibbert, or Nesterovic (who are all over 104 points/poss). In this respect, I do think the defense is very poorly matched with the personnel.
    I think it's a combination of lack of athleticism and lack of instinct, or feel. Both Foster and McRoberts have above average quickness for big guys, though I think Foster has better instincts.

    As for Hibbert, I think a good deal of his mechanical movements come from overthinking the game. It seems to me that he can move with surprising fluidity at times, leading me to think that when he just relaxes and reacts, he's not too bad of an athlete, but stopping to think accentuates his athletic shortcomings.

    I've said this umpteen times, but I haven't seen someone labor as much physically as Rasho does since Rik Smits' final year.

    While it's likely a bad match for the personnel, it is also hampered by the fact that, whatever their assignments are, they don't seem to come naturally. The defense becomes a house of cards, and once someone misses an assignment, it's all over.

    Quote Originally Posted by mel
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    - Someone among our perimeter defenders is making mistakes and leaving guys open. I know it's hard to identify because of the constant rotation, but I know that the system is not designed to leave good shooters wide open. My hunch is that Marquis and Danny leave their men pretty regularly to try and make "plays" on defense (blocks for Danny, deflections and steals for Marquis).
    IMO, we ball-gawk too much. I don't know if this is by design or flaws with the individual players. In either case, the task falls to the coaching staff to fix it. If it's a flaw in the players' execution, they should constantly be harping on keeping track of both the ball and their man. If it's design, then it should be changed. We get burned too often away from the ball.

    Quote Originally Posted by mel
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    - Ultimately, I don't know how we could tweak the defense to improve it. What worries me is that it seems to be getting worse. I can buy the argument that a team with a complex defensive system and 7 new players has a long way to come and won't be there by game 34, but we're seemingly worse now than we were at the beginning of the year, and that is bothersome to me. My hunch would be to tell our guards to more strongly deny any type of penetration, especially from the top of the key. It's fine to force a guy toward the baseline from the wing where he's going to wind up trapping himself, but from the top of the key or the free throw line extended, allowing penetration should really not be exceptable at all.

    I'd love to hear some thoughts from all of you who are smarter than me about this.
    I agree that the regression is a problem, but there are some factors that are contributing to this. With nagging injuries and illnesses, we have shuffled the lineups, with Ford, Murph, Quis, and Danny missing games. Brandon Rush has been erratic, which is to say he's a rookie, and we've used Stephen Graham from time to time, who is problematic defensively. Additionally, we've begun to work Roy into the game, and he is struggling with the defense, while Rasho, who lacks athleticism but is a smart player, appears to have died from the waist down.

    Something has to be done, but it's difficult to see what the right thing is. Generally, the thought would be to slow the game down, but I can see good reason for hesitation here. I would hate to have to run a half court, set piece game with this personnel. Slowing the pace down may or may not make us a better defensive team, but I'm almost certain it will make us a worse offensive team.

    Prior to last night's debacle, the previous 9 games had been decided by a combined 5 points. While it may not be right, it's not hard to see why somebody inside that situation might feel they're this close to breaking through.

  6. #206
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rick Carlisle vs Jim O'Brien

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last night's game is a perfect example of why I think JOb is a horrible coach. I know coaches can't make every decision for their players, and I know they can look at their bench and say there is no one else to put in for them so they have to leave some players on the floor, BUT........

    When they battle back from such a big hole, and then you have JJack running down and shooting the ball with no offensive players under the basket with 4 Denver players back. If he was getting to the rim, then that's one thing, but pull up jumpers with 20secs left on the clock, and they aren't even ft range jumpers but just inside the 3pt line. That's horrible decision making, completely horrible.

    Do we see JOb call a TO and rip into him? Do we see any type of correcting the behavior? No. They, the team, continually runs up and down the floor chucking the first open shot they see. Watching Jeff Foster shoot from the elbow, or further, makes me want to puke. And the sad thing is JOb encourages it.

    It's obviously not as bad, but it gives me flash backs of Tinsley during the PHO game. He just stands there and watches the whole thing unfold, instead of letting them know that is unacceptable decision making.

    I see the same mistakes, or horrible coaching philosophy that leads to horrible decisions, made game after game after game. It's god awful to watch and completely frustrating. They busted their asses off last night to get back into the game, then start getting shot happy. Say what you will about Rick's slow tempo offense, but I know if he was coaching and Anthony Carter was guarding Danny, DG would have saw the ball a hell of a lot more on the block to abuse him. Watching Carter slip through screen after screen and staying in Danny's jersey was comical. The term mismatch must completely be foreign to them.

    I just don't see improvements, which is a lot like last year.
    Agreed. I always liked Carlisle, I do understand why we fired him though. But seriously, he was a good coach, he knew how to coach, he'd exploit every mismatch he could. O'Brien doesn't seem to adjust in games. He has his gameplan, and he sticks to it no matter what. Hibbert scores 12 points on 6-6 shooting with 2 rebounds and a block in 8 minutes, and O'Brien pulls him out. If he'd make the simple adjustment of leaving the hot players in, we'd be looking at more wins. Its gotten to the point that other teams announcers are seeing it. The other night against the Kings I believe it was.

    "Man, I can't figure out what O'Brien is doing. Roy Hibbert was dominating us, and he pulled him out of the game. Then Jarrett Jack makes 3 shots in a row, O'Brien pulls him out of the game. Now Marquis Daniels starts lighting us up, and O'Brien can't wait to get him out of the game. I don't understand this at all."

    That wasn't the exact words he said, but it was something a lot like that. For another teams announcer to notice this in 1 quarter shows how bad his rotations are. He needs to let players on a roll play, its that simple.

  7. #207
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,987

    Default Re: When will Bird do something about O'brien?

    Quote Originally Posted by Franchise55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its gotten to the point that I'm fairly sure Obie and Bird have decided to tank. You simply don't make the decisions he does unless you plan on losing. I'm not saying that as an insult, just a fact. His decisions can only be explained by tanking.
    I disagree - and I can explain everyone of his decisions and was trying to do so up untiul about 10 days ago when I was tired of doing so. But yes every decision he makes is reasonable - reasonab;le people can agree or disagree with. But no, tanking is not what is going on here. I am being very diplomatic in my response here
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 01-06-2009 at 04:38 PM.

  8. #208
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,584
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: When will Bird do something about O'brien?

    We should know soon enough if tanking is the intent. If, when Dunleavy returns, he plays less than the maximum number of games that leaves the Pacers able to have his salary for the season covered by insurance (which I am not certain how many games that would be, can someone help me out here?) prior to re-aggravating his knee condition (whatever it actually is with no real details being released about it through the media), it seems plausible that something fishy might be going on. If he surpasses that point in games played, we are nearly certain to be legitimately trying to make the playoffs and simply are failing to get the needed wins to get there for many reasons.

  9. #209
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: When will Bird do something about O'brien?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We should know soon enough if tanking is the intent. If, when Dunleavy returns, he plays less than the maximum number of games that leaves the Pacers able to have his salary for the season covered by insurance (which I am not certain how many games that would be, can someone help me out here?) prior to re-aggravating his knee condition (whatever it actually is with no real details being released about it through the media), it seems plausible that something fishy might be going on. If he surpasses that point in games played, we are nearly certain to be legitimately trying to make the playoffs and simply are failing to get the needed wins to get there for many reasons.
    I do not have intimate knowledge of their insurance policy, but it is my understanding that insurance will only reimburse a team for salary in lost games if the player is forced to retire from injury.

  10. #210
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: When will Bird do something about O'brien?

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do not have intimate knowledge of their insurance policy, but it is my understanding that insurance will only reimburse a team for salary in lost games if the player is forced to retire from injury.
    Yeah, that sounds right. Assuming no hidden gotchas in the contracts we can't see, of course, but your understanding is the same as mine regarding general NBA policy.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  11. #211
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: When will Bird do something about O'brien?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, that sounds right. Assuming no hidden gotchas in the contracts we can't see, of course, but your understanding is the same as mine regarding general NBA policy.
    Plus, there is a very real (and frightening) possibility that the team and Junior may be saying, "Well, it ain't getting any better or worse, let's give a try." If so, there is a very real (and even more frightening) possibility that it won't last long, and the injury could be very long term.

    A short return by Dunleavy proves nothing, other than that the knee was not ready.

  12. #212
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: When will Bird do something about O'brien?

    I don't think he'd be returning if it wasn't at least feeling better (meaning little to no pain when he plays hard). Obviously I can't speak to the injury itself, but as I understand it, the gradual increase in his practice time and what he can/cannot do has all be dependent on him feeling (relatively?) pain free after each incident. Therefore, I can only assume that even if the problem is still there, it's to the point where it does not result in Dunleavy being unable to play (relatively?) pain free and to his usual standards.

    I guess we'll find out, eh?

  13. #213
    Custom User Titleist
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pacer Purgatory Praying for Paul
    Posts
    3,584
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: When will Bird do something about O'brien?

    Sorry about the conspiracy theorist coming out in me with respect to the Dunleavy topic and how it relates to this thread. It is borne out of frustration with the lack of any kind of specific details about the actual nature of the injury, coupled with an overall lack of confidence in a lot of information that has come out of the front office for several years. I'm sure that this tactic is both rampant (AND necessary to an extent) throughout the NBA (sports in general, actually), but it frustrates me nonetheless.

    I believe its likely that you are all correct. Insurance may well only cover injury forced retirement. It would be nearly untenable for the insurance companies to provide coverages at the astronomical salaries currently being paid for injuries that are more commonplace. Perhaps a part of me was hopeful that the franchise could possibly get at least a little financial relief as it continues to suffer from his long term absence.

  14. #214

    Default Re: When will Bird do something about O'brien?

    We should have played Rush and McRoberts more last night for sure. It was ridiculous. Of course we got ran to the ground in the mile high city. It is harder to get oxygen up there if you're not used to it. I expected Denver would do something similiar to this. The defense was terrible. We'll just have to look at where we are at after this trip. Maybe we can squeeze out a couple wins and I won't consider the season lost yet.

    Ford and Dunleavy returning will help but who knows. We had the best defensive fg% allowed at one point. We try to score quick on every play so therefore the other team gets alot of chances to score. We will see home high scorers this year. Hopefully we become the team scoring high and getting the few rotations of defense that help us win.

    Kellog said it last night, the team that could play just a little defense last night would win. Denver has talent and we were gassed and shorthanded and Rush and McRoberts didn't see the floor. Coach is just dumb for that. Where is Baston at? He has better D than most of our so called "PFs."

    Denver played defense for like an 8 minute span and we were done. How can we start playing an 8 minute defensive span but continue to score? Shouldn't a Baston, McRoberts, Granger, Rush and Jack line up be at least tried at some point?
    Last edited by Midcoasted; 01-06-2009 at 05:44 PM.

  15. #215
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,848

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Official "Fire Jim O'Brien!" Thread

    Alright, I have tried to merge all of the JOB threads together. If any of you notice any I missed, shoot me a PM.

    Let's keep it all organized.

  16. #216
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,399
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Official "Fire Jim O'Brien!" Thread

    Well, until tomorrow at least.

  17. #217
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,845

    Default Re: The Official "Fire Jim O'Brien!" Thread

    If JOB were fired (though he probably wont be), who would you like to see hired? Personally I would like Avery? What about you guys?
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  18. #218
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,636

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Official "Fire Jim O'Brien!" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Alright, I have tried to merge all of the JOB threads together. If any of you notice any I missed, shoot me a PM.

    Let's keep it all organized.
    Thanks. BTW....who named this merged "All things JO'B" thread and decided to call it "The Offical Fire JO'B Thread"?

    I don't mind discussing JO'B and acknowledge his shortcoming, but I don't necessarily think that he should be fired...at least not for this season.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  19. #219
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: The Official "Fire Jim O'Brien!" Thread

    As for Hibbert, I think a good deal of his mechanical movements come from overthinking the game. It seems to me that he can move with surprising fluidity at times, leading me to think that when he just relaxes and reacts, he's not too bad of an athlete, but stopping to think accentuates his athletic shortcomings.
    Totally agree Count. I think that will happen with him, at the very least he'll get to the smoothness of Smits if not a bit better.

  20. #220
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,636

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Official "Fire Jim O'Brien!" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If JOB were fired (though he probably wont be), who would you like to see hired? Personally I would like Avery? What about you guys?
    I doubt that he would do it cuz he's getting too old....but I have always like Hubie Brown as a Coach.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  21. #221
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,636

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: The Official "Fire Jim O'Brien!" Thread

    Sorry, I was answering your question as to who I would like as a Coach.

    I would like Hubie Brown as a Head Coach, but I think that he's getting old....which I think was one of the reasons he left the Grizzlies ( due to his age ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  22. #222
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: When will Bird do something about O'brien?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree - and I can explain everyone of his decisions and was trying to do so up untiul about 10 days ago when I was tired of doing so. But yes every decision he makes is reasonable - reasonab;le people can agree or disagree with. But no, tanking is not what is going on here. I am being very diplomatic in my response here
    ie Buck has decided to tank this thread.

    Looks like Shade is in on it too with his decision to merge it. Quitters.

  23. #223
    Order more copier toner. Haggard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Perth
    Posts
    498

    Default Re: When will Bird do something about O'brien?

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plus, there is a very real (and frightening) possibility that the team and Junior may be saying, "Well, it ain't getting any better or worse, let's give a try." If so, there is a very real (and even more frightening) possibility that it won't last long, and the injury could be very long term.

    A short return by Dunleavy proves nothing, other than that the knee was not ready.

    Sounds exactly like another player we had who was traded away at before this season started.
    Haggard's Blog: Can't Buy a Basket. Covering the highs and lows of the NBL

  24. #224
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: The Official "Fire Jim O'Brien!" Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanks. BTW....who named this merged "All things JO'B" thread and decided to call it "The Offical Fire JO'B Thread"?
    Yeah, could we just call this "The Official Jim O'Brien Thread?

    That way I won't get twitchy with this staying at the top of the forum for the rest of the season. I'll just ignore it and move on.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  25. #225
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: When will Bird do something about O'brien?

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plus, there is a very real (and frightening) possibility that the team and Junior may be saying, "Well, it ain't getting any better or worse, let's give a try." If so, there is a very real (and even more frightening) possibility that it won't last long, and the injury could be very long term.

    A short return by Dunleavy proves nothing, other than that the knee was not ready.
    Oh man, I don't even want to think about that. I can sure imagine it happening, though. So far, we're not far off of last year's JO trajectory. If Dun goes out after a few games, I'm ready to talk about "career will never be the same."
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

Similar Threads

  1. Ignore this thread
    By Anthem in forum Feedback
    Replies: 1240
    Last Post: 07-28-2013, 06:27 PM
  2. Counting: It's Fun.
    By N8R in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 66943
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 10:59 AM
  3. IGNORE THIS THREAD: THE MOVIE
    By Natston in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 01:49 PM
  4. The Official "Who Wants to Play the Wolf Game?" Thread
    By SycamoreKen in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 196
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 01:44 PM
  5. Jim O'Brien interview from WTHR.com
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 09:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •