View Poll Results: Who do you like better? JOb or Rick?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jim O'Brien

    23 39.66%
  • Rick Carlisle

    35 60.34%
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
Results 126 to 150 of 497

Thread: The Official "Fire Jim O'Brien!" Thread

  1. #126
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Rick Carlisle vs Jim O'Brien

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you realize you are saying you have the right to call out a poster for their reasons, but no one has the right to UB's reasons, due to him being Admin?
    I said the same thing

  2. #127
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,272

    Default Re: Rick Carlisle vs Jim O'Brien

    Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Rick. Not even close.
    This is my answer.

  3. #128

    Default Re: Rick Carlisle vs Jim O'Brien

    I voted for RC, not that I was a big fan of his, but I think he's a better coach. He has been more successful than O'Brien, but I don't feel he interacts/relates with players as well as O'B. I feel O'B is more of a disciplinarian than RC. I feel RC was too much of a vet coach and wouldn't give Rush the PT he has gotten with O'B. I believe O'B would have been a better coach with the 3rd year with the players RC had.

    Their coaching styles are so different, and neither style excites me.... micro managing to run n gun. I wasn't unhappy when RC left, and I won't be unhappy when O'B is gone either..

  4. #129
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Rick Carlisle vs Jim O'Brien

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like them both a lot.

    I do laugh now that so many think Rick is a great coach, where were many of you two and thre years ago
    Three years ago I was still a fan, IIRC.

    As to the poll question I don't like JOB's philosophy so I guess I prefer Rick, but not enough to vote for him.

  5. #130

    Default if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    hey just wanted to say that i feel like if Rick Carlisle were coach Diogu probably would have been our starting PF. This guy was supposed to be our future PF but as soon as O'brien gets the job he is traded. THUS, we wouldn't have a hole at that position now. But with O'Brien and the lack there of of an inside presence, i wouldn't be surprised that even if we did get a PF than can post up down low he still wouldn't allow his guards and wing players to jack up 3's early in the shot clock. your thought?

  6. #131
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    I disagree. I've made it known that I can't stand O'Brien, but I still think Jack and Rush are Carlisle players. I still think Diogu coulda been very good, but I think Jack and Rush woulda been much better under Carlisle.

  7. #132
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,848

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    Quote Originally Posted by Franchise55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree. I've made it known that I can't stand O'Brien, but I still think Jack and Rush are Carlisle players. I still think Diogu coulda been very good, but I think Jack and Rush woulda been much better under Carlisle.
    you could probably add Rasho, Hibbert and Granger to that list
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  8. #133
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,189
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you could probably add Rasho, Hibbert and Granger to that list
    Really why do you think that?

  9. #134
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,848

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really why do you think that?
    Well to begin with, his defense and shot blocking...
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  10. #135
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,189
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well to begin with, his defense and shot blocking...
    Go look at his shoot blocking stats and then look at any other swingman. Defense, maybe but how can a head coach make shot blocking better.

  11. #136
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,848

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Go look at his shoot blocking stats and then look at any other swingman. Defense, maybe but how can a head coach make shot blocking better.
    A head coach cant make shot blocking better, its either you have it or you dont. And Granger of late, has had that shot blocking presence. Thats why I said Granger would be decent in his system
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  12. #137
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    you could probably add Rasho, Hibbert and Granger to that list
    Agreed, all of those are Carlisle players. I'd even add McRoberts to that list and obviously Foster and Daniels.

    To be fair, I think all of those players are also good for O'Briens system. I just don't think O'Brien is the right coach for the job.
    Last edited by Dr. Awesome; 01-03-2009 at 06:17 PM.

  13. #138
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,358

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    Quote Originally Posted by kbills05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hey just wanted to say that i feel like if Rick Carlisle were coach Diogu probably would have been our starting PF. This guy was supposed to be our future PF but as soon as O'brien gets the job he is traded. THUS, we wouldn't have a hole at that position now. But with O'Brien and the lack there of of an inside presence, i wouldn't be surprised that even if we did get a PF than can post up down low he still wouldn't allow his guards and wing players to jack up 3's early in the shot clock. your thought?
    If Diogu were the starting PF we wouldn't have 7 wins.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  14. #139
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,189
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A head coach cant make shot blocking better, its either you have it or you dont. And Granger of late, has had that shot blocking presence. Thats why I said Granger would be decent in his system
    No you said his defense and shot blocking would be better under Rick. Then I said how can a head coach make shot blocking better. The you said the above.

    The fact of the matter is that I cannot see Rick giving Danny a better shot at escalating the way he has. Maybe his defense and rebounding would be better in a more simplified defensive structure. But you cannot deny the fact that Grangers shooting has emerged during JOB's era.

    I really do not think that Rick's teams are high FG% teams. In that regard Danny may not have been the offensive threat that he is.

  15. #140
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,271

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No you said his defense and shot blocking would be better under Rick. Then I said how can a head coach make shot blocking better. The you said the above.

    The fact of the matter is that I cannot see Rick giving Danny a better shot at escalating the way he has. Maybe his defense and rebounding would be better in a more simplified defensive structure. But you cannot deny the fact that Grangers shooting has emerged during JOB's era.

    I really do not think that Rick's teams are high FG% teams. In that regard Danny may not have been the offensive threat that he is.
    I think Danny could have been a Ron Artest type player under Carlisle. Actually I think he woulda been better than Ron Artest with us, I think Carlisle would have made him a defensive force who can have the offense revolve around him.

    I'd much rather have a defensive oriented team. Defense wins Championships. The problem with Carlisle is he focused too much on defense. Thats why I keep saying a guy like Avery Johnson who can find a median between the two is the coach we should hire. Carlisle solely focused on defense and O'Brien solely focus' on offense, which is funny that he always criticizes our defense when most of it is on him, in my opinion.

  16. #141
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,189
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    I think Granger being a Artest type player would have never been brought up if in fact Artest never played for this team. This team needs Danny to be more offensively oriented cause they do not have a person who can create their own shot.

    Now if we still had Jackson and JO was elite then I would agree. But neither is true.

    You people are romanticizing the past.

  17. #142
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,189
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rick Carlisle vs Jim O'Brien

    You people are romanticizing the past.

  18. #143
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    Quote Originally Posted by kbills05 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    hey just wanted to say that i feel like if Rick Carlisle were coach Diogu probably would have been our starting PF.
    If so, we'd be losing a lot more games. Diogu hasn't exactly been tearing it up in Portland, and he didn't tear it up here either.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  19. #144
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    As soon an O'Brien gets the job Diogu gets traded? Ike was here all year last season. And right off the bat Ike got a good deal of minutes from Jim.

  20. #145

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As soon an O'Brien gets the job Diogu gets traded? Ike was here all year last season. And right off the bat Ike got a good deal of minutes from Jim.
    You are correct. Ike was doing well until he got injured. He never got it back after the injury for whatever reason.

  21. #146
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,945

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are correct. Ike was doing well until he got injured. He never got it back after the injury for whatever reason.
    You mean those three first games of last year?

    It wasn't the injury that got Ike. He was never that good to begin with.

  22. #147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As soon an O'Brien gets the job Diogu gets traded? Ike was here all year last season. And right off the bat Ike got a good deal of minutes from Jim.
    He was the Roy Hibbert of last season, not more than 10min and never play him in the second quarter

  23. #148
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,514

    Default Re: Rick Carlisle vs Jim O'Brien

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I been to few games and he calls almost every play, he screams the play as soon as the Pg gets the ball, he still is not as bad as Rick.(play calling)
    I think a lot of times OBrien is just yelling "Go-Go-Go!" or something similar (wanting the team to push it and get up the court and into the offense (whatever that might be) or try and find a napping defender) and not a particular play... but I could be wrong.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  24. #149
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    How many different threads about our coach/former coaches are we going to have? LOL

    Anyway, I'm not a man of "what ifs". Diogu is on the Trailblazers now, Carlisle is coaching in Dallas. That's all there is to it.

  25. #150
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,638

    Default Re: if Carisle were coach we would have kept Diogu...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As soon an O'Brien gets the job Diogu gets traded? Ike was here all year last season. And right off the bat Ike got a good deal of minutes from Jim.
    Which is why he got traded too. I don't get this thread, and I'm a big Carlisle fan even.

    JOB was pushing the minutes earlier this year but he's backed off. He does like the small ball, but Rick was willing to go small ball when the talent balance on the roster dictated it (as in the only good players he had were perimeter guys at times).


    Rick would be playing Diener more and Jack less based on the TO issue. And Rick sure as F wouldn't have wanted Bird to keep Ike anymore than JOB/Bird ended up wanting to keep him.

Similar Threads

  1. Ignore this thread
    By Anthem in forum Feedback
    Replies: 1240
    Last Post: 07-28-2013, 06:27 PM
  2. Counting: It's Fun.
    By N8R in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 66943
    Last Post: 07-23-2010, 10:59 AM
  3. IGNORE THIS THREAD: THE MOVIE
    By Natston in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 06-18-2008, 01:49 PM
  4. The Official "Who Wants to Play the Wolf Game?" Thread
    By SycamoreKen in forum Market Square (General Non-Sports Discussion)
    Replies: 196
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 01:44 PM
  5. Jim O'Brien interview from WTHR.com
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-06-2007, 09:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •