Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hibbert seeking help

Default Hibbert seeking help

I think this is a good move on Hibbert's part. It can only help him. He's proven that he can be dominant but seems to have lost his edge.

http://blogs.indystar.com/pacersinsi...-seeking-help/

ATLANTA – Roy Hibbert said a few weeks ago that he was contemplating talking to somebody to help him get through the most trying time of his young NBA career.

Hibbert is about to take the next step with that.

He said after Saturday’s game that he plans to meet with a sports psychologist when the team returns from its current two-game road trip, which wraps up Tuesday in Philadelphia.

“Going to talk to somebody is not perceived as a bad thing anymore,” Hibbert said. “Other players have done it and the way things have gone it has taken a toll on me.”

You can’t blame the big fella for wanting to get help. He’s beat up mentally. His slump has lasted for almost six weeks. He got called for two traveling violations while attempting to make a move to the basket against the Hawks.

Hibbert, the anchor in the middle for the Pacers, is shooting 34 percent (54-of-158) from the field in the past 13 games.

His last dominating performance was when he had 24 points, 12 rebounds and six assist against Pau Gasol and the Los Angeles.

That was back in late November.

The Pacers, who are six games under .500, need Hibbert to produce if they expect to turnaround their season.

“That’s obviously a major, major problem for us because he’s our low-post threat,” O’Brien said. “In the NBA if you’re not getting something down in the low post then you have to manufacture ways to score.”

Default Re: Hibbert seeking help

The second article elaborates just a little more.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...-his-struggles
    ATLANTA -- Indiana Pacers center Roy Hibbert's on-court problems have gotten to the point where he plans to try to get help.

Hibbert, who has struggled for more than a month, said he plans to meet with a sports psychologist when the team returns to Indianapolis after its two-game trip, which ends Tuesday at Philadelphia.

"Going to talk to somebody is not perceived as a bad thing anymore," Hibbert said. "Other players have done it, and the way things have gone, it has taken a toll on me."

Hibbert, whose name was once on the tip of everybody's tongue during discussions about the league's Most Improved Player award, is in a slump that has lasted for almost six weeks.

Hibbert, the anchor in the middle for the Pacers, is shooting 34 percent (54-of-158) from the field in the past 13 games. His last dominating performance was when he had 24 points, 12 rebounds and six assist against Pau Gasol and the Lakers.

That was at the end of November.

Is it a mental thing for Hibbert?

"It is mental," he said. "I need to keep working to get through this."

The Pacers aren't going away from Hibbert in the post, however.

They continue to make sure he gets his touches. Hibbert has attempted at least 10 shots in eight games during the most trying time of his career.

The longer Hibbert struggles, though, the longer the team will struggle. The Pacers, already primarily a jump shooting team, will remain easier to defend because of the lack of scoring down low.

"That's obviously a major, major problem for us because he's our low-post threat," coach Jim O'Brien said. ". . . If you're not getting something down in the low post, then you have to manufacture ways to score."

One big on the inactive list
    O'Brien acknowledged Saturday that he'll place one of the Pacers' big men -- Jeff Foster, Josh McRoberts, Solomon Jones or Tyler Hansbrough -- on the inactive list every game. McRoberts was inactive against the Hawks.

"We're solid with the wings. I'm going to put at least one big guy on the inactive list on any given game," O'Brien said. "Either Lance (Stephenson) or A.J. (Price) will be active so we can have three point guards."

Price was active Saturday.

Lineup switch
    O'Brien isn't the only coach who likes to play matchups. Hawks coach Larry Drew went to a small lineup in which Josh Smith played power forward and Al Horford slid to center with Mo Evans at small forward.

The Hawks had been starting Smith, Horford and Jason Collins at center. That small lineup has played a part in the Hawks winning eight straight games over the Pacers.

"It doesn't surprise me because it's been very effective because Roy has a real difficult time with Horford," O'Brien said. "That turns into a matchup in their favor."

He's talking to the wrong person. He needs to talk Larry Bird about getting a new coach.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He's talking to the wrong person. He needs to talk Larry Bird about getting a new coach.
    I'm sure some of the negative feedback he gets from JOB in his better performances have contributed to whatever his problem is. When Roy would have a great game JOB would pick it apart. He probably feels like he can't do anything right in JOB's eyes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I'm sure some of the negative feedback he gets from JOB in his better performances have contributed to whatever his problem is. When Roy would have a great game JOB would pick it apart. He probably feels like he can't do anything right in JOB's eyes.
    I agree. What's the point of busting your butt to be productive when your coach/supervisor STILL finds fault in what you do? I know Hibbert is a grown man, but he doesn't seem like the type of player where you have to be "tough" with him.

Now that I'm thinking about it...how often DOES JOB give praise/encourgement in the media for his players? My generally "vibe" from JOB's comments is "The other teams are better than us, and we suck and it's not my fault". The reality of this team is, IMHO, "We're a great young team trying to come together, and we'll make the playoffs for first time this season".

Real talk...I REALLY don't believe that JOB himself believes that this team can make the playoffs.

Yes, let's pop psychology someone who might have a real problem.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It should be clear now that the improvements Roy made in the offseason were due to his hard work and had nothing to do with Jim. In fact, most of the players seem to be regressing under Jim's leadership.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    It should be clear now that the improvements Roy made in the offseason were due to his hard work and had nothing to do with Jim. In fact, most of the players seem to be regressing under Jim's leadership.
    I'm really not following your logic here.

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    I'm really not following your logic here.
    Roy works on his game a lot in the offseason, and is a beast early in the season. But as the season winds on, his game regresses more and more, as Jim is his only real "tutor" during the season.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Roy works on his game a lot in the offseason, and is a beast early in the season. But as the season winds on, his game regresses more and more, as Jim is his only real "tutor" during the season.
    And, as teams continue to adjust to the "new" Hibbert, O'Brien gives him "help" by reverting to more of what happened in past seasons as opposed to opening things up by going to a slower, passing based attack that would allow Roy a chance to get into better position with less coverage due to opponents needing to cover more of the floor intead of focusing on Hibbert and Granger.

It is a shame that Bill Walton only spent one week with Hibbert during the offseason. He needs him again now, IMO.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Three things I took from this article:

1.) Great move by Roy to decide to see a psychologist
    2.) TPTB still thinks that Lance is a point guard... Thank God in my opinion. There is no way he's a productive shooting guard in his career.
    3.) Once inactive big every single game.. Talk about insecurity from JOB.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    And, as teams continue to adjust to the "new" Hibbert, O'Brien gives him "help" by reverting to more of what happened in past seasons as opposed to opening things up by going to a slower, passing based attack that would allow Roy a chance to get into better position with less coverage due to opponents needing to cover more of the floor intead of focusing on Hibbert and Granger.

It is a shame that Bill Walton only spent one week with Hibbert during the offseason. He needs him again now, IMO.
    Bill would certainly have something to take the edge off....

Maybe Granger needs to join Hibbert at the shrinks office as well.

I think one of Hibberts problems is that he doesn't eye the basket when he is starting his shooting motion. He eyes the basket towards the end of the shot.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 01-09-2011 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    Cannot quote my source with the team, but I was told that Walton's visit really had very little to do with Hibbert's development during the offseason.

I've mentioned a couple of times that a sports psychologist could work wonders for Hibbert. His problems lie in the fact that he gets too down on himself and needs more self-confidence. He may have anxiety issues. He can get help for these things. They are common among athletes.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paging Mister Walton...Mister Bill Walton. Or Kevin McHale
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Cannot quote my source with the team, but I was told that Walton's visit really had very little to do with Hibbert's development during the offseason.

I've mentioned a couple of times that a sports psychologist could work wonders for Hibbert. His problems lie in the fact that he gets too down on himself and needs more self-confidence. He may have anxiety issues. He can get help for these things. They are common among athletes.
    So, the video that showed Walton working with Hibbert, as well as the publicity surrounding it was just a PR move?

IIRC, Walton himself stated on a video that he would like to stay and work with Roy for as long as Larry wanted him to because he felt that Roy has potential and a strong work ethic and desire to improve. Apparently Larry only wanted him to stay one week.

I love Roy's attitude. The kid is willing to try anything if he thinks it will make him better. I hope they don't give up on him just yet.

Get a coach who doesn't completely panic every time a he has a rough stretch and he'll be fine.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Taterhead For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He's done a phenomenal job getting in very good shape for the season and he's got the moves for the low post and very good passing skills. He's just got to peice it together.

The games going fast for him and he's seeing lots of variations in defenses to him. Teams have figured to be physical with him and to push him off his spot before he gets the ball.

He needs to get low and wide to use his strength to keep his position and come to the inlet pass. Then get tall once he has the ball. He's 7'3" and should keep the ball high. Keep his eyes open for the double team and for cutters. And pivot off either foot. Bring the ball up for a shot at different positions. Straight up, to the side, and a scoop shot to the far side.

Just keep playing til the game slows down for him. Continue to aggressive and be confident in his games and skills. It's tough with JOB's knocking the lack of low post offense, but take it on as a challenge... an opportunity. He's in his 3rd year and 24. He's going to grow and learn. Rome wasn't built over night. Just do the best you can and work hard every day.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Larry Bird and his stubborn procrastination may be destroying this franchise.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Here are some of Jim's brilliant motivational tactics:

“I think that Roy would say – and I certainly share this belief – I don’t think he’s having a very good season,” O’Brien said to a surprised cluster of reporters before the Pacers’ game against the Bulls at United Center. “I think that he can play at a much, much higher level right away than he’s doing right now.”

All I have to say is that: "I think that Jim should say - and I certainly do share this belief - that Jim is having a very bad season. Make that a terrible season. In fact, he had a terrible season last year too. I think that he...anyone in fact...could coach this team at a much, much higher level than he's doing right now."

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Larry Bird and his stubborn procrastination may be destroying this franchise.
    Roy showed over the summer he was very self-motivated and probably very critical of himself. Pretty amazing what he did with his body attempting to improve his mobility.

Yet, as usual, Jim opens mouth and inserts foot to the press. No, it wasn't a positive message. It was like telling your wife that she's capable of cooking better, but that the food tastes terrible.

IOW, this was not constructive criticism and the message hitting home with Roy is that he's playing poorly. That's not a message anyone needs to say...particularly to the press. Everyone, Roy included, knows it.

Its funny how Jim says one thing, Hibbert agrees, and yet people think that Jim's comments are hurting Hibbert.

Positive reinforcement is not always correct. It may be correct in this case, but it just as well can be incorrect in this case at well.

I don't think its safe to draw any conclusions based off of Jim. If Hibbert thinks going to a sports psychologist is the solution, thats good for him! I'm glad he's looking for help. I'm not sure a lot of other people would do that.

A positive note to take from this is that Hibbert continues to get touches in the paint. A lot of people were worried that Jim would move away from Hibbert touches- this has obviously not been the case, much to my chagrin. Feeding an ineffective Hibbert has been a large part of why we are losing.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Here are some of Jim's brilliant motivational tactics:

“I think that Roy would say – and I certainly share this belief – I don’t think he’s having a very good season,” O’Brien said to a surprised cluster of reporters before the Pacers’ game against the Bulls at United Center. “I think that he can play at a much, much higher level right away than he’s doing right now.”
    But Roy isn't having a very good season! He's supposed to be our number two option and he's struggling mightily to handle the load!

And he can play at a much, much higher level! That's good! How dickish of Jim to make sure he included that in his critique of Roy. What a mother****er Jim is. Telling his second-most important player that he's capable of doing better.

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    Its funny how Jim says one thing, Hibbert agrees, and yet people think that Jim's comments are hurting Hibbert.
    A guy who is naturally hard on himself like Hibbert is not going to disagree when the subject comes up. He may also be more sensitive to criticism.

JOb needs arrogant dudes to tear down IMHO. Not tear down guys who are self-motivated.

We need a new coach. One that can properly use Roy Hibbert because I don't think the problem is with Roy. I think the problem is with Jim O'Brien's strategy.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    But Roy isn't having a very good season! He's supposed to be our number two option and he's struggling mightily to handle the load!

And he can play at a much, much higher level! That's good! How dickish of Jim to make sure he included that in his critique of Roy. What a mother****er Jim is. Telling his second-most important player that he's capable of doing better.
    The fact something might be true doesn't mean you spout off to the press about it. This doesn't help Hibbert. This does NOT go over well with some people.

Personally, I think these types of statements exacerbate a bad situation brought on by Jim's inability to properly use Roy.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    The fact something might be true doesn't mean you spout off to the press about it. This doesn't help Hibbert. This does NOT go over well with some people.

Personally, I think these types of statements exacerbate a bad situation brought on by Jim's inability to properly use Roy.
    I agree. He shouldn't be feeding Roy so many touches. It's obviously not working.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to flox For This Useful Post: