Thread: Tom Brady could possibly miss the entire 2009 season (yes, next season)

Mood

Default Tom Brady could possibly miss the entire 2009 season (yes, next season)

Wow.

MSNBC.com/NBCSports.com
    by WHDH-TV Staff and Associated Press
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28421167/

UNDATED - According to reports, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady may not be ready to play in the 2009 season.

NBCSports.com reported that Brady is behind schedule in recovering from knee surgery, and might need to go under the knife again.

Brady tore two ligaments in his knee in the first game of the season against the Chiefs.

Sources said that Brady's ACL and MCL are both loose, and that he still needs to regain strength in his quadriceps.

A second surgery would likely sideline Brady for the 2009 NFL season.
    Can you imagine? Man.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tom Brady could possibly miss the entire 2009 season (yes, next season)

Matt Cassel is about to be a very rich man. If they have to franchise him I think that number will be around $15 mil, for ONE season.

Default Re: Tom Brady could possibly miss the entire 2009 season (yes, next season)

Peter King on TV Sunday night contradicted all of this and said that his sources have Brady on or ahead of schedule.

so... who knows?

Brady isn't going to talk, and neither will anyone from the Patriots. I'm guessing we will know next August.

We'll probably find out once the Pats decide whether or not to trade Cassel.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If that's true, I hate that. I really do.

Mood

i keep seeing Brady on TMZ carrying around heavy boxes and all kinds of crap for his model girlfriend. May he needs to stop ?

If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    @thatguyjoe84

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Peter King on TV Sunday night contradicted all of this and said that his sources have Brady on or ahead of schedule.

so... who knows?

Brady isn't going to talk, and neither will anyone from the Patriots. I'm guessing we will know next August.
    We'll actually know by the end of February. If the Pats franchise Cassel then, it means they aren't counting on Brady.

They would have to have completely botched his surgery and rehab for that to be possible. I know multiple people that have torn up their knee just playing pickup basketball games, and they're back in action as soon as 6mons, and hardly ever longer than 8mons. I have one buddy that's torn his right knee 3 times, MCLs ACLs PCLs and his menisci, and it was still in that range last time.

I find it VERY hard to believe. Plus, I'll take PK's word over 99% of writers.

The key would be if for whatever reason Brady abused his knee over about the 1st 6 months after surgery. If the two ligaments ARE loose it could mean that he walked around without the leg immobilized like it should have been and slipped, twisted it, etc. - just 1 time.

I've had ligament work done on both a knee and an ankle and they were very specific about that - when it's fully healed it'll be fine but if you do anything to stretch or tear it, you're screwed - ligaments don't tighten back up or repair themselves when they're torn. That was particularly true for the ankle because there aren't any muscle groups to help with support there but it wouldn't be untrue for the knee.

He had surgery when - in September? If he's been carrying heavy boxes and his knee hasn't been immobilized while he was doing it then he's definitely risking re-injury.

The last surgery (ankle) I had was 3 years ago. I started working my way out of my boot after about 3 months but I kept that with me and if I went anywhere - even walking on my lawn - where there was anything but absolutely flat terrain, or if I was doing something that might re-injure it, like carrying stuff, the boot went back on for 6 months post-op - and even then they said it wouldn't be fully healed for closer to 9.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    We'll actually know by the end of February. If the Pats franchise Cassel then, it means they aren't counting on Brady.
    It's possible though that they franchise him to gain his trade value. The drawback is that it would totally hinder them in early free agency with all those cap dollars tied up to give him the 13 million or so franchise figure for a year. But somebody like Detroit or San Francisco will give up a couple of first day draft picks or even a #1 for him in trade, if they can immediately sign him to a fair-value extension (like 5 years, 55 million or so).

If the Patriots don't franchise him, they get nothing in return. If they do, then lots of cap space is tied up until they can make the trade. The only other option would be for the Patriots to make the fair-value extension offer and THEN trade him. That is unlikely since Cassel would want 10 million or more in a signing bonus, and that would be on the Patriots cap even after the trade. The Patriots offer would be salary with little signing bonus. That usually doesn't fly, in a short-career collision sport the signing bonus is the only money you are sure to see. It would not be that attractive even if the salary were bumped up.

I think fanchising is likely, even if Brady is on target for returning, just to stockpile future draft picks. Cassel has value and it is stupid to give that up if they can deal with delaying free agency decisions. That could cost some other players, though.
    Last edited by Slick Pinkham; 12-30-2008 at 10:57 AM.

This would be terrible for the NFL, the Patriots, AND the Colts. What's a Super Bowl title without going through Brady and the Patriots to get it? Sure, I'd LOVE to win it all this year but FWIW the New England game, not the Chicago game, felt like the Super Bowl in 2006.

Mood

I don't think any champion was bothered because someone else had injury problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I don't think any champion was bothered because someone else had injury problems.
    I don't think it will bother the players and it shouldn't But it will sure bother me as there are plenty of Patriots fans I know who will remind me about it next year.

Mood

Remind them how much they "cared" about beating "no defense" Colts teams to make previous superbowls.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This would be terrible for the NFL, the Patriots, AND the Colts. What's a Super Bowl title without going through Brady and the Patriots to get it?
    How is that different than in 2006? The Colts didn't have to go through the Steelers - the defending champions (not the Patriots) at the time - as Roethlesberger had an appendectomy, motorcycle accident, and first-eight-game stretch that put the Steelers at 2-6 and out of playoff contention.

It happens. Just like at some point, Manning will have his turn at an ACL injury or an achilles injury and the Colts will miss the playoffs. That's football.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Remind them how much they "cared" about beating "no defense" Colts teams to make previous superbowls.
    I'm sure they don't care. The Patriots have won more big playoff games in Pittsburgh over the past 15 ('96, '01, '04) years than either Foxboro ('03, '07) or Indianapolis (none). (And more big playoff wins in Pittsburgh than the Steelers have managed as well.)

Even if Brady misses next season, if Bellichek has all off-season to prepare I think the Patriots would have to be the favorites in the AFC.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

The Pats will probably franchise Cassel no matter what.