Thread: JO temporarily sidelined again w/shoulder injury

Default JO temporarily sidelined again w/shoulder injury

It happened yesterday when the Raptors played the Thunder. JO went out in the 2Q and didn't return. He is expected to play against the Spurs tonight, however.

(Link to ESPN article here.)
    Last edited by NuffSaid; 12-22-2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: corrected spelling error in thread title

Default Re: JO temporarily sideline again w/shoulder injury

Looks like he isn't shaking his injury prone label eh?

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Looks like he isn't shaking his injury prone label eh?
    That will never happen...because it's not a label. One tell-tale sign is the drop in JO's rebound numbers. When they are low, he is typically not playing well. They have been low since he re-injured his knee...which I think will keep his production low the remainder of the season. Stick a fork in him.

JO injured? The next thing you're going to tell me is he's not practicing with the team! Then it'll be he's complaining about not getting his touches... or getting them where he wants them.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

24/10 last night on 12/20 shooting.

Keep jabbing him in the eye every opportunity you get though. It's a good look.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Banned

He's up to .451 shooting and 7.4 rebounds per game. What an animal.

Nice game by JO. That happens sometimes when you fork out 21M a year. However, he had the worst +/- of all the Raptor starters...and lil' ole TJ Ford out-scored him and played clutch ball to win rather than lose a game.

The truth is, JO played well on offense but apparently didn't get back on D to stop the Tony Parker layup drill...because Parker had one of his best games too. That explains the +/-. Maybe JO decided to conserve his energy, get some touches and just play offense last night or maybe he was at one end complaining to the refs or waving his finger to the crowd while everyone else was playing basketball.

My god. Such hate.

I didn't realize it was so bad towards JO here. Silly.

-- Steve --

Yeah I don't understand the bitterness towards the guy. I think he gave it his all for a number of years in the blue & gold and then his body started to break down. It happens. Now he is gone yet his detractors can't let it go. Why? What purpose does it serve?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Smooth View Post
    Yeah I don't understand the bitterness towards the guy. I think he gave it his all for a number of years in the blue & gold and then his body started to break down. It happens. Now he is gone yet his detractors can't let it go. Why? What purpose does it serve?
    Maybe you're taking the criticism too seriously.

The guy didn't even see the game and says
    The truth is, JO played well on offense but apparently didn't get back on D to stop the Tony Parker layup drill...because Parker had one of his best games too. That explains the +/-. Maybe JO decided to conserve his energy, get some touches and just play offense last night or maybe he was at one end complaining to the refs or waving his finger to the crowd while everyone else was playing basketball.
    That's just hate and i have no idea why, be happy with Rasho Hibbert and Ford, you don't need to berate JO (and it seems you do it every chance you get). Just let it go already.

Right... it's Jermaine's fault the PG scored a lot of points. The funny thing is that if JO had gotten 5 blocks it would have been "well that's an empty stat" or "he was just posturing for Sportscenter" or "Bill Russell would have kept the ball in play."

News flash: Big Three Bailout Falters; Indy Fans Blame JO.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Maybe you're taking the criticism too seriously.
    You got it. Half of this is just a game. Half of it is not. Yes, I'm not a JO fan...but no, I was not really being serious. I'm rarely that obvious with the hate I have for JO...

Truthfully, it's hard to find a hole in his game last night...so I just tried to meet the challenge. Attaboys are not something I give to a part-time "franchise player". The check should be enough...

Now that JO is gone it's not hard for me to muster up hate for him. Overpaid, prima donna..... no longer a Pacer. Let him take his chemistry and team killing ways to another team.

JO is a player who, if he could've understood his media hype was the result of the desire of the Pacers to promote him as the heir apparent and HOPE he filled those shoes, rather than anything he actually ever brought to the court consistently, might've had a role in this league or on this team.... but instead he's destined to be an overpaid player who thinks he's more than what he is and will always be a poison pill to team chemistry until that mindset changes.

Trading Dale Davis for Jermaine O Neal was pointless... This is about basketball, not posing for basketball bubblegum cards.

JO should thank God for guaranteed contracts and Donnie Walsh....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    24/10 last night on 12/20 shooting.

Keep jabbing him in the eye every opportunity you get though. It's a good look.
    Nice.

That brings his averages to 13 pts/7.4 RBS/45.1 FG %

What a beast.

JO's still going to have games here and there where he hits 20/10. But his days of averaging numbers close to that are long gone.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Raps do not need him to average 20/10. They need his defense and his presence so Bosh can have the immense pressure he received last year alleviated.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Now that JO is gone it's not hard for me to muster up hate for him. Overpaid, prima donna..... no longer a Pacer. Let him take his chemistry and team killing ways to another team.

JO is a player who, if he could've understood his media hype was the result of the desire of the Pacers to promote him as the heir apparent and HOPE he filled those shoes, rather than anything he actually ever brought to the court consistently, might've had a role in this league or on this team.... but instead he's destined to be an overpaid player who thinks he's more than what he is and will always be a poison pill to team chemistry until that mindset changes.

Trading Dale Davis for Jermaine O Neal was pointless... This is about basketball, not posing for basketball bubblegum cards.

JO should thank God for guaranteed contracts and Donnie Walsh....
    Wow... that was one of the worse hate-filled diatribes I've ever read from you, Bball.

From the way you described him, it's almost as if he had the talent level of Austin Croshere or some other marginal NBA player. We're talking about a 6 time NBA All-Star who's made 3 All-NBA squads, won the Most Improved Player Award, once led the league in total blocks, and holds the Pacers franchise record for blocks and rebounds.

How about a little levity. Trading an aging (and complaining) Dale Davis for JO was a brilliant move even if it didn't lead to the Pacers winning a championship. They didn't win one with DD either.

Ultimately it didn't work out but IMO a lot of that blame falls in the lap of Ron Artest, Tinsley, and DW for valuing talent over chemistry and basketball smarts. The main knock on JO is that his body continues to break down - that's happened to a lot of players. That doesn't take away all of the good things he did for this franchise and how dominant he once was.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Banned

J.O.'s getting paid over $21M to put up 13/7 with bad shooting percentages on a 10-17 team. Even his shot blocking is down.

Asides from his (declining) shot blocking, is there anything J.O. is doing at a higher level than Rasho this year?

I have nothing personal against J.O. but he's a shell of a shell of his former self.
    Last edited by Quis; 12-22-2008 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam1987 View Post
    Nice.

That brings his averages to 13 pts/7.4 RBS/45.1 FG %

What a beast.

JO's still going to have games here and there where he hits 20/10. But his days of averaging numbers close to that are long gone.
    Yes, those averages are a good representation of what JO brings to the table at this point...and at 30 it's not going to get any better. The reason why he will never regain 20/10 form is because his greatest assets on offense were his post moves and mobility...not his ability to pass the ball or even shoot. When you get old, particularly with his knees, you lose a lot of that mobility and explosiveness he needs to really put pressure on the defense. Anyway, I truly think we came out way ahead on the trade.

Considering TJ Ford has played in all but one game, has been big-time clutch in a few of them, averages nearly 15ppg, 4.5 boards and 5.3 assists...he's worth a nice chunk of JO's value at least.

Rasho is at nearly 10ppg and 5 boards at this point shooting above 50% from the floor like most bigs shoot. He's been a pleasant surprise. I would trade JO again for TJ and Rasho without hesitation.

Roy is a great prospect. Call him gravy on a deal that would have been fairly even. He very well could be our starting center for the next 10 years. Who really knows? But without question he makes this deal a sweet one for the Pacers.

Considering Toronto has the same record as the Pacers at this point...after being a .500 team last year...apparently the addition of JO and subtraction of Rasho and TJ has not helped them much. As for the Pacers, we have a bad record, but our schedule has been difficult. I would argue that if Dunleavy had not been out AND our schedule was more reasonable early on, we would be .500 right now.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Yes, those averages are a good representation of what JO brings to the table at this point...and at 30 it's not going to get any better. The reason why he will never regain 20/10 form is because his greatest assets on offense were his post moves and mobility...not his ability to pass the ball or even shoot. When you get old, particularly with his knees, you lose a lot of that mobility and explosiveness he needs to really put pressure on the defense. Anyway, I truly think we came out way ahead on the trade.

Considering TJ Ford has played in all but one game, has been big-time clutch in a few of them, averages nearly 15ppg, 4.5 boards and 5.3 assists...he's worth a nice chunk of JO's value at least.

Rasho is at nearly 10ppg and 5 boards at this point shooting above 50% from the floor like most bigs shoot. He's been a pleasant surprise. I would trade JO again for TJ and Rasho without hesitation.

Roy is a great prospect. Call him gravy on a deal that would have been fairly even. He very well could be our starting center for the next 10 years. Who really knows? But without question he makes this deal a sweet one for the Pacers.

Considering Toronto has the same record as the Pacers at this point...after being a .500 team last year...apparently the addition of JO and subtraction of Rasho and TJ has not helped them much. As for the Pacers, we have a bad record, but our schedule has been difficult. I would argue that if Dunleavy had not been out AND our schedule was more reasonable early on, we would be .500 right now.
    Don't forget Maceo as well for a little tiny bit of sugar on top.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I honestly believe that had Dunleavy been injury-free along with the rest of our starting five, the Pacers would be above .500. But fate dealt them a curve ball that for all intent and purposes might have actually been a blessing in disguise, i.e., moving Rasho to B/U-Center to balance out the rotation and keep JOB from playing both rookies at the same time, giving Quis and BRush more playing time, discovering what McRob and Graham can do.

Who'd have thought that one player's absence would bring about so many positives?

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    I honestly believe that had Dunleavy been injury-free along with the rest of our starting five, the Pacers would be above .500. But fate dealt them a curve ball that for all intent and purposes might have actually been a blessing in disguise, i.e., moving Rasho to B/U-Center to balance out the rotation and keep JOB from playing both rookies at the same time, giving Quis and BRush more playing time, discovering what McRob and Graham can do.

Who'd have thought that one player's absence would bring about so many positives?
    That's a really good point that get's overlooked. The young guys are getting experience that they wouldn't have had if everyone had been healthy all season. In the short term it's been painful to see them lose those close games. In the long term, the experience has been very valuable and the fact that they've been able to be competitive is very encouraging!
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!