Thread: For you Stern haters, some flames 4 U

Default For you Stern haters, some flames 4 U

This is a video series that contains 9 parts. It is mostly about the 2002 Lakers/Kings series and game 6 in particular. As you know Tim Donaghy accused the NBA of fixing playoff games. His sentence was reduced 98% for his cooperation with the FBI. While that does not make him a truth teller, he did mention game 6 in 2002. This starts kinda slow but gets better with each video, most are 5 minutes long some longer. It also talks about 2 officials in particular, (anybody remember a 4pt play?). Stern even admits the officiating was horrible. This guy did a good job of putting this all together. The game 6 in question starts in video 6, videos 7,8,9 are very good also. It also shows how the fix was in on Ewing to the Knicks. I have a feeling Donaghys book will be good when it comes out. He might have sold himself out but he's not the only one. (NOTE: other 8 videos are linked in the comments section)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fxw3y...eature=related

This guy in the video below was kicked out of a game for telling the ref "the over". Pretty funny worth the watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOgFyi8VOck&NR=1

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: For you Stern haters, some flames 4 U

I strongly dis-like the Lakers. Close to the end of part 9 is where I cringed.
    Last edited by DGPR; 12-16-2008 at 06:23 PM.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I for one agree that the entire series was suspect and the officiating was more subjective than usual. And that video series was well put together. But a lot of it was nitpicking. If people are expecting Donaghy's book to shed light like Canseco's book did in MLB, they will be sorely disappointed.

BEcause of the nature of the game. Basketball officiating will always be scrutinized and called into question. So there will always be scorned fans, but Stern will not always be the direction of their conspiracy theories. Sooner or later the man will retire. Then the next guy will have to endure the same ridicule off the heals of a man who really did orchestrate a league into greatness. Stern has done more good for the NBA than he has done bad. The good is a proven commodity. The bad is supported by youtube videos, scorned biased fans, writers wanting to make a name, and one known felon.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I for one agree that the entire series was suspect and the officiating was more subjective than usual. And that video series was well put together. But a lot of it was nitpicking. If people are expecting Donaghy's book to shed light like Canseco's book did in MLB, they will be sorely disappointed.

BEcause of the nature of the game. Basketball officiating will always be scrutinized and called into question. So there will always be scorned fans, but Stern will not always be the direction of their conspiracy theories. Sooner or later the man will retire. Then the next guy will have to endure the same ridicule off the heals of a man who really did orchestrate a league into greatness. Stern has done more good for the NBA than he has done bad. The good is a proven commodity. The bad is supported by youtube videos, scorned biased fans, writers wanting to make a name, and one known felon.
    Preach On
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    ...a man who really did orchestrate a league into greatness...
    Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan led the NBA to greatness. Stern just happened to be the guy at the top when they hit the scene.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    Larry Bird, Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan led the NBA to greatness. Stern just happened to be the guy at the top when they hit the scene.
    Considering that the NBA Finals was on Tape friggin Delay, most teams were losing money, and the league had major PR problems with a perception of heavy drug use all while Bird and Magic were playing. You have to give Stern some credit for getting the product to the point where folks wanted to care about Bird and Magic and later Jordan playing.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Wow, Rick Adelman does kind of look like Hitler...

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    couldn't agree more.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

So how did those players market themselves? Julius Erving, Kareem, Wilt, the Celtics 9 championships in a row, merger of two leagues, and so many more topics were not enough to push the NBA to the level Stern orchestrate it. Granted media evolution helped a great deal. But Stern took advantage of the players and assets available to make the NBA a viable product. Sure some of the marketing strategies back fired (ghetto image). But Stern did not hinder the growth and he was not some incompetent non-figure figure head that road on the coat tails of the legends. Could others have done better? We will never know. While some may dwell on the what ifs, I chose to applaud him in the progress, rather than belittle what he might have done. Sure I don't agree with all of his decisons. But if you are not willing to step back and look at the overall image, then you will always look at the minute distortions that my not be distortions. It may just very well be a smudge on your glasses.