Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62

Thread: Marbury Situation

  1. #1
    PROUD 2 B A PACERS FAN! xtacy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    TURKEY
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,748

    Default Marbury Situation

    well this is kind of old but i just saw these.

    D’Antoni : "When the trades went down this afternoon, I said, 'Look Steph, one of the principals are gone, Jamal Crawford. There's 30 to 35 minutes out there, and they're yours if you want them. Are you ready to go?'" According to 'Antoni, Marbury said he "wasn't comfortable with the situation, and he did not want to play. So at that point, I go, 'O.K., that's your decision, and that's fine.' That's it."

    Marbury : "The only thing I'm at liberty to say is that I was told that they were moving forward, and I'm not the person who chooses who plays or doesn't. Refusing to play is when the coach tries to put you in the game and you say you're not going in. If he asked me to go into the game, I was going into the game. That's why I taped my ankles."

    D’Antoni : "He was in a tough situation. I'm not mad at Steph. But that's enough of the talk because it is a distraction and we need to go forward and we have a new team coming in and we're going to get this done."

    AFTER THE TRADES

    D’Antoni : "I really want to dispel the notion that we did it to clear [cap space], which we did. Obviously, we have a long-term plan and that was the plan the very first day. But we're not throwing this year away or thinking that we're not going to make the playoffs, that we're waiting for three years. We're going to go out and develop this team and really fight hard to make the playoffs."

    Walsh : "Opening up cap space down the road for us is a big plus on our side, and I hope our fans understand that can give us an opportunity to make the team better according to the plan that I've outlined. And so I'm trying to be true to what I've said from Day 1."
    this is marbury on the bench waiting to get into the game against cavs.


    one side is definately lying and i don't think it's marbury. if he is the one lying judging from the way he looks in that photo he is the greatest actor ever lived. he looks sad and it looks like he wants to be on the court and play more than anything else. i don't know what you think guys but when i saw that pic and read his statement i kinda felt sorry for him. new york should decide what to do with him and let him what he wants to do play.

  2. #2
    Get well PG! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,768

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    This situation is turning nastier by the second.

  3. #3
    Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    4,266

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    that's the peril of the waiting game that donnie walsh likes to play.

    it worked with zach and crawford in that he managed to trade their long contracts for shorter ones without having to give up anything else.

    in marbury's case though, waiting has just made the festering go on longer. it didn't help that walsh and his coach are apparently of different minds on how to deal with marbury. hence the flip flop of whether or not marbury should get playing time. in the end he'll get the tinsley treatment (i.e. banishment until buyout or trade)

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Helsinki, Finland
    Age
    42
    Posts
    117

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    well this is kind of old but i just saw these.



    this is marbury on the bench waiting to get into the game against cavs.


    one side is definately lying and i don't think it's marbury. if he is the one lying judging from the way he looks in that photo he is the greatest actor ever lived. he looks sad and it looks like he wants to be on the court and play more than anything else. i don't know what you think guys but when i saw that pic and read his statement i kinda felt sorry for him. new york should decide what to do with him and let him what he wants to do play.
    I don't know about the majority of the people, but I find this whole Marbury-Knicks saga pretty awkward and yet also interesting at the same time.

    It sure looks like nobody concerned (Walsh, D'Antoni, Marbury) in this farce/comedy, has acting blamelessly. However, I simply see no good things happening as long as Marbury is with the team in these circumstances.

    It seems to me that by refusing to play (according to some sources) Marbury is clearly violating his contract. He obviously doesn't want (badly if at all) to play for the Knicks, but is getting paid fully anyhow. It isn't quite right, is it?

    It really wouldn't surprise me if Walsh is very soon going to take hard stand on Marbury - possibly even kick him out of the team permanently.

    Needless to say that there is some real harm done for the franchise because of this ongoing episode, but do they even care? Let's see what happens next.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bloomington IN
    Posts
    182

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    The police and FBI could use you, Xtacy. You can tell if someone is lying or not by looking at a photograph. While interesting, why do we Pacer fans care? Marbury is not coming to the Indy because he's just about as toxic as JT. If there's one thing TPTB have learned, it's that character counts.

  6. #6
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    one side is definately lying and i don't think it's marbury. if he is the one lying judging from the way he looks in that photo he is the greatest actor ever lived. he looks sad and it looks like he wants to be on the court and play more than anything else. i don't know what you think guys but when i saw that pic and read his statement i kinda felt sorry for him. new york should decide what to do with him and let him what he wants to do play.
    He looks like he's watching an episode of House.

    I have no idea what the truth is, but I'm sorry, I don't see anything in this picture that would shed any light on it one way or the other.

  7. #7
    Member Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,312

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    If they suspend him for refusing to play, would this be without pay?

    I think if they stop paying him then things could get even uglier. The players association would probably have something to say about it, but could they really do anything?

  8. #8
    Member Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,312

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    This answers my question:

    http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wir...ury_suspended/

    For his apparent refusal to play in Detroit, the Knicks have suspended Stephon Marbury without pay. Marbury has also been told to stay away from the team, at least until Monday.

    "A player's central obligation is to provide his professional services when called upon," Donnie Walsh said in announcing the suspension. "Because [Marbury] refused the coach's request to play in the team's last game, we had no choice but to impose disciplinary action."

    With Marbury sent home, the Knicks will try to determine the next course of action. Further fines and suspensions are possible; the team could continue discussions on a buyout; or the Knicks may simply decide to tell Marbury to stay home, pay him his remaining salary, and keep him on the roster until he is traded or released.

    "We feel the discipline imposed by the Knicks is baseless," said Hal Biagas of the National Basketball Players Association. "We plan to file a grievance."

    Marbury gave an extended interview with the New York Post.

    "We need to separate from the relationship," he said. "The marriage is over. It's a done deal."

    About Mike D'Antoni, Marbury said, "I wouldn't trust him to walk my dog across the street."

  9. #9

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    that's the peril of the waiting game that donnie walsh likes to play.

    it worked with zach and crawford in that he managed to trade their long contracts for shorter ones without having to give up anything else.

    in marbury's case though, waiting has just made the festering go on longer. it didn't help that walsh and his coach are apparently of different minds on how to deal with marbury. hence the flip flop of whether or not marbury should get playing time. in the end he'll get the tinsley treatment (i.e. banishment until buyout or trade)
    I wonder how happy D'antoni is with both walsh and Marbury.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    About Mike D'Antoni, Marbury said, "I wouldn't trust him to walk my dog across the street."

  11. #11
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    I have no reason to side with Marbury in this, "He said, he said," so until I'm pursuaded otherwise, I'm going to assume he's just being difficult.

  12. #12
    Dood. Ownagedood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Franklin
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,638

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    I also kinda feel bad for him.. I mean he isn't causing problems or anything.. Why are they treating him like this? He isn't a Jamaal Tinsley.

  13. #13
    Member makaveli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Age
    41
    Posts
    184

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by Ownagedood View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I also kinda feel bad for him.. I mean he isn't causing problems or anything.. Why are they treating him like this? He isn't a Jamaal Tinsley.
    I assume you are being sarcastic. The guy is making 20 some million dollars and refuses to do his job. His BOSS told him to do something and he refused. Try that at your job. Secondly, he must have not heard about the management change, because he went to the press to air his gripes. Walsh will not stand for that, we all know that. Even his own teammates have turned on him now, not to mention he has blasted their coach in the papers. Steph is and always has been a cancer. He is 1000 times worse than Jamaal.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,744

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    D’Antoni : "When the trades went down this afternoon, I said, 'Look Steph, one of the principals are gone, Jamal Crawford. There's 30 to 35 minutes out there, and they're yours if you want them. Are you ready to go?'" According to 'Antoni, Marbury said he "wasn't comfortable with the situation, and he did not want to play. So at that point, I go, 'O.K., that's your decision, and that's fine.' That's it."

    The way I am reading about this, it sounds like the coach "asked" Marbury if he wanted the minutes that were now available. Marbury replied "no".

    I don't see where the coach "ordered" Marbury to enter the game. Did I miss something?

    The problem is, and this is just the way I read it, that the coach made an offer instead of a demand. He left the decision up to the player, the player declined the offer. The coach did not give the player an order. This is very much like "Steph, would you like to travel with us to the next game, or would you prefer not to?"

    The player showed no disobedience, he was declining an offer.

    The whole problem appears to be with the way the coach approached the player.

    Keep in mind, I am not a big fan of Marbury, but this is the way it comes across, to me.
    Last edited by Tom White; 11-28-2008 at 03:58 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    Dealing with the ongoing saga called Marbury is Walsh's job. He should handle it and let D'Antoni coach and worry about wins and losses. Instead the coach has to deal with all this peripheral nonsense. Again walsh's inaction is costly.

    I don't have any respect for Marbury but someone has to step up and end the drama.

  16. #16
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,082

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have no reason to side with Marbury in this, "He said, he said," so until I'm pursuaded otherwise, I'm going to assume he's just being difficult.
    I'm completely on the opposite side of this. The Knicks told Marbury along time ago he wasn't part of their future plans. So they make a trade, get in a pinch with the number of players available, and they expect him to jump at the opportunity to help them out? Sorry, but if I was Marbury I wouldn't even have made any comment to him and laughed as I walked out of the office.

    If the Pacers were to make a trade right before tonight's game, and needed players to suit up, do you honestly think that they would offer Tinsley the position? Hell no they wouldn't. And they shouldn't.

    Don't tell a player he is done with your organization, banish him to the bench to be a laughing stock of a "player," then when you're short on players expect him to bust his *** on the floor for you.

    90% of the time I'm in favor of the franchise. They pay way too much to players to play a freaking game and they put their own money into it and it's them that lose if the franchise folds. But in this instance, Marbury is right. Don't treat him like cancer, until you get in a pinch then expect him to ask you 'how high' when they say jump.

    Suspending him a game is laughable, considering he's logged how many minutes lately? Atleast this way he doesn't have to watch them and can sit at home and do whatever he wants. Fining him $400,000 is ridiculous though.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    I don't know, for 20 mil per I would do almost anything my boss asked me to do. Including some things I would not be very proud of.

  18. #18
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,241

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm completely on the opposite side of this. The Knicks told Marbury along time ago he wasn't part of their future plans. So they make a trade, get in a pinch with the number of players available, and they expect him to jump at the opportunity to help them out? Sorry, but if I was Marbury I wouldn't even have made any comment to him and laughed as I walked out of the office.

    If the Pacers were to make a trade right before tonight's game, and needed players to suit up, do you honestly think that they would offer Tinsley the position? Hell no they wouldn't. And they shouldn't.

    Don't tell a player he is done with your organization, banish him to the bench to be a laughing stock of a "player," then when you're short on players expect him to bust his *** on the floor for you.

    90% of the time I'm in favor of the franchise. They pay way too much to players to play a freaking game and they put their own money into it and it's them that lose if the franchise folds. But in this instance, Marbury is right. Don't treat him like cancer, until you get in a pinch then expect him to ask you 'how high' when they say jump.

    Suspending him a game is laughable, considering he's logged how many minutes lately? Atleast this way he doesn't have to watch them and can sit at home and do whatever he wants. Fining him $400,000 is ridiculous though.
    Marbury is under contract to play basketball. They don't owe him or any other player anything other than the terms of the contract. They don't owe him playing time, they don't need to be nice to him or even treat him with respect. He still needs to live up to his end of the bargain...and he will do that or pay damages for breach of contract.

    The truth is, Walsh is an attorney and is teaching him a lesson about the legal system. I suspect it was a setup to recoup some money from the contract...and if so, I find that pretty funny.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm completely on the opposite side of this. The Knicks told Marbury along time ago he wasn't part of their future plans. So they make a trade, get in a pinch with the number of players available, and they expect him to jump at the opportunity to help them out? Sorry, but if I was Marbury I wouldn't even have made any comment to him and laughed as I walked out of the office.

    If the Pacers were to make a trade right before tonight's game, and needed players to suit up, do you honestly think that they would offer Tinsley the position? Hell no they wouldn't. And they shouldn't.

    Don't tell a player he is done with your organization, banish him to the bench to be a laughing stock of a "player," then when you're short on players expect him to bust his *** on the floor for you.

    90% of the time I'm in favor of the franchise. They pay way too much to players to play a freaking game and they put their own money into it and it's them that lose if the franchise folds. But in this instance, Marbury is right. Don't treat him like cancer, until you get in a pinch then expect him to ask you 'how high' when they say jump.

    Suspending him a game is laughable, considering he's logged how many minutes lately? Atleast this way he doesn't have to watch them and can sit at home and do whatever he wants. Fining him $400,000 is ridiculous though.
    I agree w/ you. The only reasn the suspension isn't laughable is because you lose that game's salary.

    I don't understand why they keep him on the bench.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Marbury is under contract to play basketball. They don't owe him or any other player anything other than the terms of the contract. They don't owe him playing time, they don't need to be nice to him or even treat him with respect. He still needs to live up to his end of the bargain...and he will do that or pay damages for breach of contract.

    The truth is, Walsh is an attorney and is teaching him a lesson about the legal system. I suspect it was a setup to recoup some money from the contract...and if so, I find that pretty funny.
    Walsh is a dud. He is not teaching anyone anything except that he handles things no better than Isiah.

  21. #21
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by YoSoyIndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't understand why they keep him on the bench.
    Yeah, I'm wondering if I've missed something as well. What's the deal with this? Why is he still a Knick?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  22. #22
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    I agree. He needs to stay home.

  23. #23
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,099

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The truth is, Walsh is an attorney and is teaching him a lesson about the legal system. I suspect it was a setup to recoup some money from the contract...and if so, I find that pretty funny.
    D’Antoni : "When the trades went down this afternoon, I said, 'Look Steph, one of the principals are gone, Jamal Crawford. There's 30 to 35 minutes out there, and they're yours if you want them. Are you ready to go?'" According to 'Antoni, Marbury said he "wasn't comfortable with the situation, and he did not want to play. So at that point, I go, 'O.K., that's your decision, and that's fine.' That's it."

    Marbury : "The only thing I'm at liberty to say is that I was told that they were moving forward, and I'm not the person who chooses who plays or doesn't. Refusing to play is when the coach tries to put you in the game and you say you're not going in. If he asked me to go into the game, I was going into the game. That's why I taped my ankles."
    If the above is true then Walsh must be a pretty poor atty to think he can make a 400,000.00 suspension stick based on that.

    The whole setup appears to be Walsh doing something half-a$$ed. Walsh should've taken the coach out of the equation except to tell him to play Marbury and if Marbury refuses they plan to fine him. Walsh should've been the one talking to Marbury about the circumstances and saying we plan to play you if we need to or want to.

    Instead, by this appearance, you have D’Antoni OFFERING Marbury the OPTION to play. Of course Marbury said he'd prefer not to given the circumstances (and part of those circumstances being after being froze out and on the trading block all season he's now being asked if he'd like to play some meaningless minutes).

    I'd have far less sympathy for him if they'd simply cut to the chase and ordered him to play.

    Of course this is all moot if someone tells me that regardless of the quoted conversation here, D’Antoni did try and put Marbury in the game and he refused. Then the fine is justified regardless of what you think of the morals involved to get to that point.

    Of course, just like with Tinsley, once you decide you are finished with a player you need to stick to your decision regardless of what the basketball gods do to you... IMHO... Don't make a potentially caustic situation worse as has what's happened here.

    Walsh mishandling a player personnel issue... I'm shocked I tell you.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  24. #24
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,082

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Marbury is under contract to play basketball. They don't owe him or any other player anything other than the terms of the contract. They don't owe him playing time, they don't need to be nice to him or even treat him with respect. He still needs to live up to his end of the bargain...and he will do that or pay damages for breach of contract.

    The truth is, Walsh is an attorney and is teaching him a lesson about the legal system. I suspect it was a setup to recoup some money from the contract...and if so, I find that pretty funny.
    They have told him point blank that he is not in their plans. Prior to the situation, they didn't play him and they told him they don't want him there. They started discussions with him about a buyout.

    They didn't/don't want him to play. I fully believe this is just a way to get some of their money back, no matter how small of an amount. If they make his life a living hell, then maybe he'll accept a smaller amount for the buyout.

    Why in the world you would even ask someone to play, that you've treated like the plague for the past few months is something I can't even wrap my mind about.

    If this situation came about with the Ps and Tinsley, I would seriously be pissed off that TPTB even considered dressing Tinsley. If they did ask him to suit up, would you expect Tinsley to be open to the idea? Hell no, and he shouldn't.

  25. #25
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Marbury Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Walsh mishandling a player personnel issue... I'm shocked I tell you.
    Bball interpreting a situation in the worst possible way for DW... I'm shocked I tell you.

    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

Similar Threads

  1. Knicks' Walsh will meet with D'Antoni, Marbury [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2008, 08:50 PM
  2. Why Doesnt Anyone Want Marbury?
    By MillerTime in forum Trade Proposals
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 11:44 AM
  3. Report: Knicks to waive Marbury by end of week [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-23-2008, 12:10 PM
  4. Tinsley or Marbury a tough call for the Heat ?
    By Pacemaker in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 09-23-2008, 09:41 AM
  5. 07-08 Random NBA thoughts episode IV: A New Season
    By Kstat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1109
    Last Post: 04-25-2008, 12:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •