Thread: Top 10 Young Small Forwards (< 26)

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Top 10 Young Small Forwards (< 26)

http://www.scoresreport.com/2008/12/...mall-forwards/

The NBA’s Top 10 Young Small Forwards
    Posted by John Paulsen (12/15/2008 @ 5:37 pm)

Here’s a quick list of the top 10 small forwards under the age of 26, ranked in the order of a combination of current performance and trade value (regardless of salary).
    I’ll also list the player’s age and his Player Efficiency Rating.

1. LeBron James, Cavs
    PER: 33.28
    27.1 points, 6.8 rebounds and 6.4 assists on a 20-4 team – can you spell M-V-P?

2. Carmelo Anthony, Nuggets
    PER: 18.50
    The Nuggets are sitting atop the Northwest with a 16-7 record and with the arrival of Chauncey Billups, ‘Melo is starting to play defense, as evidenced by his career-high 8.2 rebounds.

3. Danny Granger, Pacers
    PER: 18.67
    His boards are down, but his points and assists are up. I bet that the six teams that drafted other guys ahead of him – Magic (Fran Vasquez), Clippers (Yaroslav Korolev), Bobcats (Sean May), T-Wolves (Rashad McCants), Nets (Antoine Wright) and the Raptors (Joey Graham) – are all wishing they could have that draft back.

4. Rudy Gay, Grizzlies
    PER: 16.54
    I’d like to see better assist numbers (1.7), but he’s still scoring at a terrific clip even though ROY candidate O.J. Mayo is in town. But what’s up with that three-point percentage (29%)?

5. Luol Deng, Bulls
    PER: 13.41
    It’s not good to see your FG% take a dive (to 43%) the season after you sign a fat contract. Even though his minutes are about the same, Deng’s production is down across the board.

6. Thaddeus Young, Sixers
    PER: 13.32
    Philly is asking a lot more of Young this season, which is why his run has taken a 12-minute jump. Predictably, his numbers are all up, but he’s not as productive on a per-minute basis, which has a lot to do with the dip in his FG% (-6.6%).

7. Trevor Ariza, Lakers
    PER: 19.45
    It’s not clear why the Knicks and Magic let him go – well, Isiah is to blame in one case – but their inability to see Ariza’s promise worked to the Lakers’ advantage. Defensively, he’s a terror. If he could only shoot the long ball, he’d be the answer to the team’s problem at small forward.

8. Al Thornton, Clippers
    PER: 13.37
    Thornton’s numbers are up across the boards thanks to increased minutes (+10.4) and better accuracy from the field (+2.6%).

9. Brandan Wright, Warriors
    PER: 20.80
    Wright is wildly productive in the 17 minutes of playing time he gets each night, but one wonders why Nellie is barely playing him? It’s not like the Warriors have a ton of great players; they’re 7-17 for Pete’s sake.

10. Jeff Green, Thunder
    PER: 14.47
    Green has made a big jump from his rookie season. His points (15.6), rebounds (5.5) and assists (2.4) are all up, but more importantly, he’s shooting with increased accuracy from the field (+3.2%) and long range (+13.7%). After looking like a bit of a bust last season, he now looks like he’s capable of being Kevin Durant’s sidekick for the long haul.

Who am I missing? Before you jump all over me for leaving someone off, be sure to check the player’s age – all these guys are 25 or younger.

More People taking notice of Danny!!!
    If we can just add some wins, I think Danny is an All-Star t/y gaging on the press he is getting from so many different sources.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Default Re: Top 10 Young Small Forwards (< 26)

Haha. LeBron is 23. Oh my god. It's funny how ridiculously good he is.

Nice.

Rudy is debatable over Granger and certainly more versatile offensively right now, but I'll take Danny.

I would also put Green above Brandon Wright, who is still heavily on the "upside" list of guys who aint really done dick in the league.

As for others: Marvin Williams needs to be there somewhere, probably before Young Thad. Travis Outlaw has already produced more than Wright, Green and maybe Thornton (although Green has been a beast the last two weeks). Julian Wright is promising. Brandon Bass is an animal, though maybe a PF. Same with Beasley on the position issue. If you consider him SF worthy, he's obviously pretty high up. In other news, Wilson Chandler looks good.

Regardless, good stuff.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

I want to add Uncle Buck's name in the mix. Where is the love?

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In other news, Wilson Chandler looks good.

Regardless, good stuff.
    The Homer in me would like to put Chandler up but he probably needs more than 23 games to deserve to be there right now.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Brandan Wright is not a small forward.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    The Homer in me would like to put Chandler up but he probably needs more than 23 games to deserve to be there right now.
    Indeed. Just saying he belongs on the radar. He's obviously not a Top 10 contender.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

How old is Josh Smith? Or is he considered a Power Forward?

Kevin Durant's natural position is SF as well. He played off-position for a long time but he recently he moved to SF and his production is increased. Green starts at 4 right now...
    And yeah obviously I'd probably take Durant right after LeBron. Followed by Melo and either Granger or Gay.

Between Gay and Granger it's very close. Gay is 3 years younger which is nice but I think Granger is more of a hardworker, so I'd probably take Granger.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    ‘Melo is starting to play defense, as evidenced by his career-high 8.2 rebounds.
    Is this statement supposed to make sense? By this logic you could make the case that Murphy is a top 10 big man defender.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Brandan Wright is not a SF and doesn't belong on this list. Josh Smith has played PF for almost all of his career, though you can argue back and forth between who's playing PF when he and Marvin Williams are both on the floor.

Kevin Durant is a SF and absolutely belongs on that list right after Carmelo. Also, I don't think anyone has a clue as to who works harder between Granger and Rudy Gay. I think it's fair to say they both work very hard and any differences would be pretty minimal.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Man, Durant is impressive but he's also soft on defense and still makes really horrible mistakes. He's also a slop TO machine.

Danny is much more all-around than the smoother looking offensive force that is Durant. Green hasn't been as consistant as Durant but at times he's every bit his equal. Great pickup for the Sonics on that one considering what Ray Ray was going to be able to do for them going forward.

Ariza is a nice athlete but I truly think the system and roster are making him look better. He's in a situation where he can effectively be fetched on someone and can let other players set him up. It's easy to get open when guys like Kobe and Gasol are drawing so much attention.

I mean honestly, think about the numbers that KD could put up in his place. His FG% would shoot up just on the cut to the lane dunks alone.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

I talked a bit about this at the PD party, but based on how chippy Bron and Danny have been the first two games and how improved Danny has been as a scorer, it could be a lot of fun to see those two square off.

I compared it to Reggie and Jordan. No one saw Reggie in Mike's league and that was understandable, but regardless Reggie could still get his and got into Mike's head better than most competitors did - ie, the claw face.

Danny doesn't have to match Bron to be a challenger and a rival. With Melo out West you don't get to see that pairing as often, and it has a lot less blood behind it as an out of conference (let alone division) game.

Durant is good but his shooting %s are horrible and his D is non existant.. on this list, i'd put him right behind Gay.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kevin Durant makes terrible decisions and takes a lot away from the players around him. He is not a top 5 player at this point. He has the dreaded potential to be that. The Thunder also suck which doesn't help. He could end up being the best of all of these players though (outside of LeBron). Also, Melo post-Iverson would be #2 on this list. He is a much different and better player without having to share the ball in a black hole offensive strategy.

Other players I like to be considered: Martell Webster and Nic Batum (just wait), possibly Kelenna Azuibuke, and Gerald Wallace who turned 26 this summer. (Don't know if GW should be included or not. Most other significant SF's are 28+).

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    How old is Josh Smith? Or is he considered a Power Forward?
    I think Smith is considered a PF
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

After last nights game, Granger is back in the top 5 in scoring. He's in good company.

Offensive Leaders Defensive Leaders
    POINTS PPG

1. Dwyane Wade, MIA 28.0
    2. LeBron James, CLE 27.3
    3. Dirk Nowitzki, DAL 26.4
    4. Kobe Bryant, LAL 25.0
    5. Danny Granger, IND 24.4

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That is exciting to see Danny Granger next to those other four names. Like goosebumps and quirky smile exciting.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Haha. LeBron is 23. Oh my god. It's funny how ridiculously good he is.
    If it makes any difference, he will be 24 in 12 days.

Could the argument be made that Danny is better than Carmelo? I mean I know a lot of people would consider that a stretch, but based on this year's numbers, its not out of the realm to compare the two.

Danny averages more points (24.4) than Anthony (21.3) and shoots at a higher percentage. Danny averages more blocks and less turnovers.

The only stat where Anthony is considerably better is in rebounds (8.0), Danny gets 5.3.

It's a tough one. I much prefer Danny because I've always had a major dislike for Anthony.

I'm just curious what people think, as before this season, it wouldn't even be a conversation. But with the way this season is unfolding, how many people think Danny can realistically be compared to Carmelo Anthony?

Quote Originally Posted by pacerDU View Post
    Could the argument be made that Danny is better than Carmelo? I mean I know a lot of people would consider that a stretch, but based on this year's numbers, its not out of the realm to compare the two.

Danny averages more points (24.4) than Anthony (21.3) and shoots at a higher percentage. Danny averages more blocks and less turnovers.

The only stat where Anthony is considerably better is in rebounds (8.0), Danny gets 5.3.

It's a tough one. I much prefer Danny because I've always had a major dislike for Anthony.

I'm just curious what people think, as before this season, it wouldn't even be a conversation. But with the way this season is unfolding, how many people think Danny can realistically be compared to Carmelo Anthony?
    Carmelo plays on a better team overall. I don't think Granger will ever be considered as good as Carmelo Anthony (one can hope though..) however there's no shame in that.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny

Danny is a better shooter, Melo is a better scorer (despite his lower ppg this season).

Danny is the better defender though which is a far more important characteristic in a franchise player.