Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Conseco Fieldhouse Still #1 for Fans

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Conseco Fieldhouse Still #1 for Fans

NBA arenas: The good, the bad and the ugly

Which cities have basketball cathedrals? Who plays in the dumps? Kevin Ding ranks 'em.

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/a...5646-old-right

The Lakers lost Tuesday night in Indiana, but it wasn't a completely ugly loss… because it came at Conseco Fieldhouse – the prettiest arena in the NBA.

With an old-school, brick-heavy design yet a clean, modern feel, Conseco is the perfect place for basketball in a state rich in hoops tradition.

(Beyond that, there's nothing good to say about India-no-place… except that it's the world headquarters for Steak 'n' Shake, which I'm telling you flat-out is better than In-n-Out Burger. Yes, I know that's blasphemy to some of you.)

From Conseco as the best to another one the Lakers have used for a recent NBA Finals as the worst, check out this review of the NBA's arenas. To see photos of the five best and five worst arenas, click on "MORE PHOTOS" to the right.

BEST TO WORST
    1. Conseco Fieldhouse, Indiana: Borrowing from old-time baseball with a hand-tiled out-of-town scoreboard instead of an electronic one, this quaintly feels more like a gym than an arena.

2. Rose Garden, Portland: It's unfathomable that this arena is 13 years old; it manages to feel cutting edge yet cozy.

3. Madison Square Garden, New York: Some say it's a dump. Hey, it's a classy dump.

4. EnergySolutions Arena, Utah: Gotta love a relatively new place that puts its fans right on top of the opposing players.

5. Air Canada Centre, Toronto: Beautifully done. And for all that the Maple Leafs dominate here, it doesn't even smell like hockey (the stench of stale perspiration, by the way).

6. American Airlines Center, Dallas: Very cool Texas-themed architecture on the outside, and inside Mark Cuban sits on the baseline next to the Mavs' bench and triggers replays on the overhead monitor with a wave like a king beckoning to his subjects.

7. TD Banknorth Garden, Boston: It's not the original Boston Garden, but inside it all feels legit – with the clearest overhead monitor ever built.

8. Staples Center, Los Angeles: Doesn't try to be anything but what it is … an entertainment haven.

9. Oracle Arena, Golden State: The kid in me who loved seeing Busch Stadium right there while driving on the freeway in St. Louis loves how this place is right off I-880, and it definitely has character.

10. Pepsi Center, Denver: Not quite as cool as Coors Field down the street, but a solid arena in every way. Now if they could just move the airport closer to downtown …

11. Toyota Center, Houston: There's a rocket built into the bottom of the overhead scoreboard that comes out to simulate a takeoff during pregame introductions.

12. American Airlines Arena, Miami: It fits the superficial South Florida scene perfectly, which isn't saying that much, but at least its bayside instead of in the 'hood like old Miami Arena.

13. US Airways Center, Phoenix: Chase Field next door is a reminder that this place isn't new anymore, but it sure hasn't gotten old.

14. United Center, Chicago: The House that Jordan Built feels comparably cavernous to Staples, but without the pizzazz.

15. Arco Arena, Sacramento: Similar to an old college arena with a complete lack of luxury, it has fan-friendly qualities but a ton of functionality problems.

16. Time Warner Cable Arena, Charlotte: This new arena in a traditional basketball region for the NBA's newest team should've been as cool as Conseco, but it's not even close.

17. FedEx Forum, Memphis: Give me an aging Pyramid over this ho-hum joint that looks just like the Charlotte arena.

18. Ford Center, Oklahoma City: Looks just like the Charlotte and Memphis arenas.

19. AT&T Center, San Antonio: Congratulations on successfully building a new arena to look like a clean barn – the fans who come for the rodeos must be thrilled – but there's nothing special here.

20. Bradley Center, Milwaukee: The Bradley Center, celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, feels like Milwaukee in 1988. Not an altogether good thing.

21. Wachovia Center, Philadelphia: Elton Brand is just 5-4 here this season. It's no Cameron Indoor Stadium, apparently.

22. Philips Arena, Atlanta: Weird stuff here with the luxury suites all stacked on one side of the court, so it's impossible to unify the fans.

23. Target Center, Minnesota: Kudos for attaching it to the downtown mall so that fans (and reporters) never have to venture out into the cold, but the sightlines are terrible.

24. Quicken Loans Arena, Cleveland: The team should play its home games in its awesome Cleveland Clinics Courts practice facility out in the 'burbs instead of this nondescript blob downtown.

25. Verizon Center, Washington: Boring, boring, boring. No wonder Gilbert Arenas goes to such lengths to entertain himself.

26. New Orleans Arena, New Orleans: Phil Jackson is right. Sorry, but this city doesn't merit a team.

27. Izod Center, New Jersey: Having to play at least one season in this dump – voted the worst NBA arena by USA Today a few years back – before moving to Brooklyn might be enough to keep LeBron James from coming in 2010.

28. Amway Arena, Orlando: Dwight Howard could take a running start from the parking lot and knock over this entire tiny building.

29. The Palace of Auburn Hills, Detroit: Too dark, feels bigger than it is, way out in the middle of nowhere, ugly and dirty. Otherwise, it's a palace!

Mood

Default Re: Conseco Fieldhouse Still #1 for Fans

I figured that I would shed a gleam of light during these "troubling times".

I highly doubt he's ever even been to the Palace.

The comment about it being "too dark" is hilarious considering the team he covers turns all the freaking lights out during the game.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-15-2008 at 12:37 PM.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quit bein' a homer, Kstat. Isn't that what you're always tellin' us?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Arrogant ******* View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

(Beyond that, there's nothing good to say about India-no-place… except that it's the world headquarters for Steak 'n' Shake, which I'm telling you flat-out is better than In-n-Out Burger. Yes, I know that's blasphemy to some of you.)
    Thanks for nothing, jackass. Indy is not a major metropolis but there is plenty to do downtown. It's much better than the downtowns of similar Midwestern cities.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

#1 - Indiana
    #29 - Detroit

I feel a little better now.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    12. American Airlines Arena, Miami: It fits the superficial South Florida scene perfectly, which isn't saying that much, but at least its bayside instead of in the 'hood like old Miami Arena.
    It's like 3 blocks away. Yay its surrounded by the hood instead of in the hood! You still have to park in the hood.

I've been to a game at The Palace. Granted it was 12 years ago, but I didn't think it was all that bad (especially being that the Pacers won in OT! ).

The major problem with it isn't so much the building itself, it's the location. In the middle of nowhere.

Got to see a game at Conseco for the first time this season. Beautiful arena. Love the brick and that player-card wall is crazy.

Mood

We're #1 and Detroit is #29. STFU Kstat you homer!

Well, he's right about the Izod Center, formerly Continental Airlines Arena - the place is a dump in the middle of a dump.

I think it took this guy maybe ten to fifteen minutes (tops) to write this article.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post

Well done. What purpose does a comment like this serve?

at least we came first at something.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Goldfoot View Post
    Well done. What purpose does a comment like this serve?
    Don't quote me on that. lol

That part was a little harsh, I love Indy. There is a lot to do.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Being #1 on this guys list isn't saying a whole lot. Judging from his comments on most of the arenas, It's not like this guy is "the authority" on what makes an arena good or not. As for his comments on the Palace of Auburn Hills, I was there last season and as Kstat mentioned... The guy just has no clue about that arena, or it's atmosphere. The only thing he has right is the fact that it is well outside of the city of Detroit.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

He doesn't seem to like any of the arenas. He even said ours feels like a gym, even though we were first on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Being #1 on this guys list isn't saying a whole lot. Judging from his comments on most of the arenas, It's not like this guy is "the authority" on what makes an arena good or not. As for his comments on the Palace of Auburn Hills, I was there last season and as Kstat mentioned... The guy just has no clue about that arena, or it's atmosphere. The only thing he has right is the fact that it is well outside of the city of Detroit.
    Not to enough for me to be critical, but I thought it was slightly dark myself. It just didn't bother me.

I still liked Chicago much better, though, as an arena/building. Where Detroit was killer was the atmosphere. From Mason to the fans to the pyrotechnics et al, that was great.

I have been to Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland and of course Conseco Fieldhouse.

Conseco is obviously the best by far.

I would rate The Palace as next best followed by Cleveland and then Milwaukee. Milwaukee was just boring, Cleveland was dead but Wittman was the coach. Also keep in mind The Palace was the first modern buildig

Steak N Shake is not better than In-N-Out Burger unless you're only basing it on the shakes.

And as much as I like Indiana, there's no reason to visit here unless you're coming for a sporting event. Everything found here can be found in any other state. Indiana is a great place to live, but I can understand why outsiders find it so boring.

Mood

Yeah, Indy sucks, that why 1 million people stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I have been to Milwaukee, Detroit, Cleveland and of course Conseco Fieldhouse.

Conseco is obviously the best by far.

I would rate The Palace as next best followed by Cleveland and then Milwaukee. Milwaukee was just boring, Cleveland was dead but Wittman was the coach. Also keep in mind The Palace was the first modern buildig
    Yeah, out of all the arenas I've been to (Conseco, New Orleans, Chicago, Detroit, and Seattle), Conseco is by far and away the best arena. I still want to go to the Garden, but I from what I've heard and read it is in a class of it's own for NBA arenas (I have heard that the Rose Garden and the Charlotte arena are nice, though).

Quote Originally Posted by YoSoyIndy View Post
    Steak N Shake is not better than In-N-Out Burger unless you're only basing it on the shakes.

And as much as I like Indiana, there's no reason to visit here unless you're coming for a sporting event. Everything found here can be found in any other state. Indiana is a great place to live, but I can understand why outsiders find it so boring.
    Of course, you can say this about roughly 40 other states, too, so...

I've never had In-N-Out Burger, so I can't comment on the first part...besides, I like the Chili Mac at S-n-S.

I've been to several arenas: US Air Center (Phoenix), Staples Center (LA), Target Center (Minneapolis), MSG (NYC), American Airlines Arena (Miami), American Airlines Center (Dallas), old Charlotte Coliseum a.k.a. the Hive(Charlotte), Alamo Dome where the Spurs used to play (San Antonio), Bradley Center (Milwaukee) and of course Conseco.

If I had to rate an arena for the overall fan atmosphere and beauty, Conseco wins hands down. It offers such a great atmopshere for fans and is a beautiful arena. The newer arenas like AA Center, AA Arena and Staples Center are all nice, but are too commercial and they don't seem to have the same feeling as Conseco. Target Center and Bradley Center are just old arenas and are definitely dated. The concourses are small and they serve their purpose, but I can see both cities getting new arenas in the next 10 years. The Hive has since been torn down and the Alamo Dome is terrible for basketball. Imagine watching every Pacers game at the RCA Dome? MSG has a cool feel to it, but it's definitely dated and old.

I must say one of the nicest things about Conseco (and there are plenty) is the lack of LED lights surrounding the stadium bowl. These are found in almost every other arena, and I find them incredibly announcing.

I find this:

so much better than these:

Last edited by Wu-Gambino; 12-15-2008 at 10:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Of course, you can say this about roughly 40 other states, too, so...

I've never had In-N-Out Burger, so I can't comment on the first part...besides, I like the Chili Mac at S-n-S.
    40 is a bit high. Sure, some states don't have a reason to go there, but most do. Take the states with beaches and nice weather and you have more than 10. Add in tourist landmarks(Arch in Missouri, Mt Rushmore in South Dakota, national parks in Wyoming, Fort Sumter in South Carolina, etc) and it's covered.

Granted, I excluded sporting events as a reason to come to Indy, which is the entire strategy behind the city of Indianapolis' growth.

Like I said, Indy is a great place to live -- not a terribly great place to visit for a tourist weekend. It's OK to be a native Hoosier and admit that.