Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suns trade Bell, Diaw for Richardson

Sports Logo

Default Suns trade Bell, Diaw for Richardson

by Paul Coro - Dec. 10, 2008 03:59 PM
    The Arizona Republic

LOS ANGELES - The Suns acquired dynamic shooting guard Jason Richardson today in a trade with the Charlotte Bobcats that will also bring second-year forward Jared Dudley and a 2010 second-round draft choice to the Suns in exchange for shooting guard Raja Bell, forward Boris Diaw and rookie point guard Sean Singletary.

The deal, pending players passing physicals, brings a new dimension to the Suns' shooting guard position with Richardson, who can hit 3-pointers and be an athletic fit into an uptempo system like he starred in during five seasons with Golden State. The trade call was completed at about 3:45 p.m. Phoenix time today.

"He's athletic and gives us a really potent offensive player," Suns General Manager Steve Kerr said. "He's also an excellent defensive players and he's in his prime. He's a very high-character guy and well-regarded around the league for his professionalism."

Richardson, who turns 28 next month, is a 6-foot-6, 225-pound former two-time slam dunk contest champion who has a season scoring average (18.7) that is in line with his career scoring average (18.8).

Richardson has hit 45.8 percent of his 3-pointers this season and is a good rebounder for a guard, pulling down 4.1 on average this season. The former 2001 No.5 draft pick was moved to Charlotte in a financially driven trade in 2005 but is best known for being the mature captain of the Warriors, who broke a 13-year playoff drought in his final season there.

Richardson makes $12,222,222 this season, $13,333,333 next season and $14,444,444 in 2010-11. Diaw was under contract for $9 million per season through 2011-12. Bell is making $5 million this season and gets $5.25 million next season in his contract's final year.

Dudley, 23, was Charlotte's 2007 first-round pick at No. 22 in 2007 and has started seven of the Bobcats' games this season. He is a 6-foot-7, 225-pound small forward who plays more like a power forward with court savvy and a strong work ethic. He is averaging 5.4 points, 3.0 rebounds and 0.9 steals this season in 21.4 minutes per game.

"I'm high on Dudley," Kerr said. "He's versatile and can guard multiple positions and play like a small four (power forward) or a big three (small forward)."

Dudley is on his rookie deal that pays him $1,222,320 this season, $1,307,640 next season and carries a team option for $2,151,068 in 2010-11.

Bell, 32, was averaging 9.6 points this season, his lowest average since he was with Dallas in 2002-03. Bell, in his fourth year as the Suns' starting shooting guard, is having a good 3-point shooting season at 46.8 percent but is only shooting 42.9 percent overall. The bigger problem was that he had been disgruntled with the early changes that new coach Terry Porter brought and how they affected his role and the team since the start of training camp. He was vocal about his discomfort in and out of the public eye.

Bell, considered the "heart and soul" of the team by Mike D'Antoni in past seasons, enjoyed the best seasons of his career with the Suns. He became a full-time starter for the first time in Phoenix and fired up more than 400 3-point attempts in each of his first three seasons. He was named to the NBA All-Defensive first team for 2006-07 and the All-Defensive second team for last season.

Diaw, 26, was also in his fourth season with the Suns but was posting his lowest averages for points (8.3), rebounds (3.8), assists (2.1) and minutes (24.5). He does have career-best shooting percentages from the field (56.7 percent) and 3-point line (35.7 percent).

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns...adeonline.html

Default Re: Suns trade Bell, Diaw for Richardson

"Excellent defensive player" - is Kerr watching the same dude?

Overall, in terms of value, the Suns definitely come out on top. Bell is old and hasn't been playing well as of late. Diaw is as flawed as he's always been and it's nice that they finally dumped him and his contract.

However, you have to wonder why the Suns made a move like this to get another offensive-oriented player who does nothing to improve their defense. It obviously gives Nash a weapon and spreads the floor but I'm not sure it elevates them to contender status...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

compared to Diaw he is.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Sports Logo

Wow.......I think that the Suns win this trade. Diaw has one of the worst contracts in the league. Why the Bobcats wanted to do this is beyond me......they send out the best player while taking on even more guaranteed $$$ owed. I'm guessing that Bell is still a solid defensive player....but Diaw will do even worse without a PG like Nash overflating his 4 year / $9 mil per year / $36 mil stats ( 8 ppg / 4rpg ).

JRich may not play that much defense....but he's still a way better scoring threat then Bell or Diaw will ever be.

I'm guessing that Jordan must owe Kerr something from their days when they were running with the Bulls.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-10-2008 at 06:41 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Nice trade for the Suns.

Banned

the starting group for the suns is Nash,richardson,Barnes,Amare and Shaq, this team is looking better now.

With this trade, Shaq probably has one of the most all-around talented group of starters he's ever played with. Not that it matters at this point because Shaq's not the focal point of the team, but it takes even less pressure off of him. J-Rich is a good compliment for the inside game that PHX has with their bigs, given his nice three-point shooting ability. I'm surprised PHX was able to get a solid player in Dudley out of the deal, which makes it even better for them.
    Last edited by Doddage; 12-10-2008 at 07:10 PM.

DUDLEY!

nice trade for suns not because j-rich is a very good player but they got rid of diaw.

bobcats management sucks big time!

Mood

Good trade for NBA 2K9....
    STARBURY

08 and Beyond

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Have never seen J-Rich play too much, but he seems like one of those "empty-stats" guys who consistently puts up good numbers on bad to mediocre teams. I don't really know if that's a reflection of his talent or decisionmaking or just dumb bad luck. He is finally in the spotlight somewhat in Phoenix and it will be interesting to see how that turns out.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I like what the Bobcats got, myself.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I'm not a huge fan of Richardson, but I suspect that's because he spent a season killing my fantasy basketball team.

However, I'm not a fan of Bell and Diaw, either.

That being said, this is a Larry Brown trade. He's getting two role players so that he can try to do what he wants with the team. I'm guessing he's thinking about the Schrempf-McKey deal.

I've always liked Bell. Good three shooter, good defender. Smart player.

And I think Diaw has a lot of ability and could really excel in the right situation.

Richardson has always seemed a bit one-dimensional to me on offense.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I don't like J-Rich at all, but MJ is off his meds. What in God's name does he want with Diaw or Bell? I guess LB is gonna like Bell (he had him in Philly), but why do you just throw in Dudley into a package that was already not in your best interest? Diaw's contract is a joke and it's not like Raja is gonna be the glue that provides the spark for a 30-win team to become a threat. Just weird.

What's also puzzling is what the Suns are doing. Me thinks Nash got Kerr's ear and said "Listen you role playing prick...We're either gonna start running again or I'm gonna start having lots of back spasms -- cause a lineup of Shaq, Amare, Barbosa and me are not playing defense, eh?"

Or, ya know, something like that.

Either way, it seems that defense is officially back to being priority number four at best in Phoenix. That's the only conclusion I can make when a team trades away its best defender for a jumpshooter.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 12-10-2008 at 09:52 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't like J-Rich at all, but MJ is off his meds. What in God's name does he want with Diaw or Bell? I guess LB is gonna like Bell (he had him in Philly), but why do you just throw in Dudley into a package that was already not in your best interest?

What's also puzzling is what the Suns are doing. Me thinks Nash got Kerr's ear and said "Listen you role playing prick...We're either gonna start running again or I'm gonna start having lots of back spasms -- cause a lineup of Shaq, Amare, Barbosa and me are not playing defense, eh?"

Or, ya know, something like that.
    I'm pretty sure there was a "Take off, hoser" thrown in there somewhere, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I've always liked Bell. Good three shooter, good defender. Smart player.

And I think Diaw has a lot of ability and could really excel in the right situation.

Richardson has always seemed a bit one-dimensional to me on offense.
    I agree about Bell and Diaw.

Don't know that much about Richardson to say he is one-dimensional. I just know he can produce.

I think it's pretty even for both teams. I don't see it making either that much better or worse at this point.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoddage View Post
    With this trade, Shaq probably has one of the most all-around talented group of starters he's ever played with.
    You could be right but the lineup of Ron Harper, Kobe Bryant, Glen Rice, AC Green, and Shaq would probably still pound this starting five defensively.

Regarding the trade, the Suns robbed the Bobcats and this is a classically short-sighted bad trade from a Michael Jordan managed team.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Mood

I think its a decent trade for both teams. I think this trade has Larry Brown written all over it. They basically broke Jrich's contract into three pieces. I have a feeling the Bobcats are far from done making moves. They have a lot of players that aren't seemingly in their plans going forward. Outside of Okafor, Augustin, Ajinca, and Wallace (who they have thrown out there just to see if they can get a hell of a deal for) I think they are truly looking to trade everybody. The one guy I could see them getting something really nice for is Felton. I think if they were to package Felton with Morrison and Mohammed they could get an impact player on this team. I think Larry Brown hates Jrich's game. I think he is not a player you build around. He fits the Suns roster 100 times more than he does the Bobcats. From the Bobcats stand point, I think if they can make another move or two before the deadline this trade could really help improve their team. (Think Bell and Felton to a contender for an expiring and a first).

You add Jrich to Nash, Hill, Shaq and Amare and you have got a very potent lineup. I think he is a great addition to the Suns roster because when you look at that team, all of the pressure to score was on the shoulders of Amare and Nash. Too much pressure. You throw Rich in there and you have added an explosive player and scorer. I think Kerr was referring to his defensive prowess in Suns' terms. Not the rest of the NBA's terms. I think this really benefits the Suns in a more immediate fashion. They are looking at the next two years and IMO Kerr is doing a good job of bringing in players to try and win. They will need to add another big man for depth since their roster will be pared down to 12 with this deal. I think they might go after Juwan Howard now. Look for Jrich possibly to become their sixth man type playing starters minutes, with Barnes and Hill on the wings to start the game.
    Last edited by pacergod2; 12-11-2008 at 10:31 AM.

Juwan Howard is still playing?

Sports Logo

This is definitely a Larry Brown trade. He knows Bell from their days together in Philly.

Felton and Okafor remind me of Mutumbo and Snow on that Finals team.

Mutumbo/Okafor -
    Mutumbo 10/13.5/2.7 blks 48%FG 72%FT
    Okafor 12/10.5/1.7 blks 58%FG 58%FT

Snow/Felton -
    Snow 9.8 pts/3.3 rbd/7.4 ast/1.5 stl 42%FG 79%FT 26%3PT.
    Felton 12.7 pts/3.3 rbd/6.1 ast/1.6 stl 40%FG 79%FT 29%3PT

Now they just need to make up some for AI's 31 ppg. Wallace is now #1 on this team so I look for his scoring to go up.

Add Bell's defense, the progression of Augustin and solid role players around them and you have a pretty decent team led by a pretty darn good coach.

Mood

Aww snap! The Bobcats got good overnight!

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Juwan Howard is still playing?
    He's actually about to sign with the Bobcats.

http://blogs.charlotte.com/inside_th...-may-be-s.html

Mood

I was thinking this trade would change that. They have 15 players under contract and the Suns now need to sign a 13th player. Given that the Suns will probably sign a big man, I would think he would be worth the phone call for them. I think the Suns are closer to contenders and that might play a role in him possibly changing his mind. But I am not sure. I just figured he was probably the best big man available as a free agent.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post

Regarding the trade, the Suns robbed the Bobcats and this is a classically short-sighted bad trade from a Michael Jordan managed team.

Why is it great players think they can GM teams?