Thread: Toronto Sun: trading TJ Ford was a mistake

Default Toronto Sun: trading TJ Ford was a mistake

I wasn't really impressed by this article, but I guess I'll post it anyway

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/bas...92411-sun.html

Trading Ford was a mistake
    By FRANK ZICARELLI

Last Updated: 10th December 2008, 3:36am
    Email Story Print Size A A A Report Typo Share with:
    Facebook Digg Del.icio.us Google Stumble Upon Newsvine Reddit Technorati Feed Me Yahoo Ma.gnolia Simpy Squidoo Spurl Blogmarks Netvouz Scuttle Co.mments Sitejot + What are these? T.J. Ford returns to the Air Canada Centre tonight as basketball's spotlight shifts squarely on to the backcourt.

In one of those intriguing matchups that features so many layers, Ford will go mano a mano against Jose Calderon.

It won't quite match the hype that surrounded Tracy McGrady's return to Hogtown when T-Mac went toe to toe with distant cousin Vince Carter in a high-wire act, but tonight's pointed confrontation is one worth noting and debating.

Ford, in essence, was shown the door in the off-season when the Raptors felt Calderon was best suited to lead the team as the undisputed starter at point guard.

For years, the Raptors were searching for that elusive floor general, a leader who could run an offence, establish tempo and forge a style of play with the ball in his hands.

For once in their history, the Raptors had two legitimate players with two contrasting yet equally effective styles, but one just knew something had to give.

The moment of truth arrived when management felt Ford had to go, and he was traded to the Indiana Pacers in a multi-player package that fetched Jermaine O'Neal.

O'Neal will face his former team for the first time following years of being the face of the Pacers franchise.

For Ford and Calderon, it is a rare opportunity to go head to head in a real game, a personal game within the game itself.

If one thinks there is no ill will between the two, one should think again, despite what both players will say publicly.

The way Ford and Calderon conduct themselves is as different as their style on the floor.

Ford pulled no punches when he stated last season that he wanted to be the starter.

When Calderon assumed the starter's role in the wake of Ford's horrific fall in Atlanta a year ago last week, Ford never could accept his new-found place as backup because it wasn't his nature.

It made for some awkward moments, dividing the locker room and leading fans to hate Ford's me-first attitude.

We said it then and we will repeat it again that the Raptors made the wrong choice in moving forward with their starter at point guard.

This is by no means a knock against Calderon, but Ford's ability to create his own shot, attack defences and his willingness to take over games in late-game situations are precisely what the Raptors need.

Coaches prefer Calderon's half-court style to Ford's turnover-prone ways because they can better manage and control the likes of a Calderon.

Ford has an edge and exudes a confidence that borders on cockiness, the very definition of today's NBA player.

With the Raptors now wanting to play an uptempo game, Ford would seem to be the perfect fit in an imperfect lineup.

Calderon's stock was at its highest last year as he entered free agency, while an argument could be made that Ford was at his lowest given the personal and medical baggage.

It wasn't until Calderon returned to his native Spain that he told the world, through his personal website, he wanted to be a starter.

And so tonight starts the beginning of a point guard rivalry that is sure to divide even the most rabid of Raptor fans.

Is it Jose or T.J.?

Ford and Calderon are both good, but they are so different.

No doubt fans will boo Ford when he is introduced and likely each time he touches the ball because that is the way Toronto reacts.

The problem with basketball remains the lack of understanding when it comes to the game's culture.

Every team needs a Ford-like player.

O'Neal brings an edge, but he can't bring the ball up the floor.

As currently constituted, the Raptors need Ford more than they need Calderon.

If anything, what the Raptors have shown the past year is a lack of patience amid growing concerns about their future fortunes.

Impatience led to the decision to ship out Ford, who at one point was viewed as the cornerstone piece alongside fellow Texan Chris Bosh.

Impatience led to Sam Mitchell's dismissal.

The Raptors are in transition and who better to deal with it than Ford.

Default Re: Toronto Sun: trading TJ Ford was a mistake

There are some comments in this article about the game tonight

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/551302

King James pours in 31 points as Toronto looks lethargic at both ends of the floor in lopsided loss

Dec 10, 2008 04:30 AM
    Comments on this story (18)
    Doug Smith
    Sports Reporter

CLEVELAND–They were beaten soundly – at times humiliated – and now they are headed home for what could be the most emotional game of the season at the Air Canada Centre.

It's hard to imagine things being much worse for the Raptors right now.

Giving up a seemingly endless array of breakaway dunks and being blown out almost from the opening tip, the Raptors saw their season-worst losing streak reach five here last night when they were hammered 114-94 by LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The manner in which the game was ultimately decided – by a 23-2 Cavs run early in the third quarter that was little more than a layup line at times – does little to instill any kind of confidence with the spectre of T.J. Ford and the Indiana Pacers on the horizon tonight.

In the quiet of the Raptor locker room, with players speaking in hushed tones if they were speaking at all, the man sure to be at the centre of the emotional cauldron tonight said the Ford return has to take a back seat to the dire need for a good performance.

"Yeah, I didn't think about that, I was just thinking about it being next game," said Jose Calderon. "It will be special for sure but right now we don't have to be worried about who we play against, we have to win and that's all that matters right now.

"If we get a win, everybody's going to relax a little bit. ... We can start playing better and that's what we need."

What they need is an effort 180 degrees away from the one they put on here.

James had three steals and punctuated the third-quarter breakaway dunk by posing mid-air with his off-hand behind his head as if he were in some kind of repose on a couch.

It might not have been overtly mocking but it was close. Considering how things turned out here, it was entirely appropriate.

James did it again on the next Cleveland possession off a Raptor turnover, going coast-to-coast and dunking ahead of a chasing Chris Bosh, pausing at the end of the play to cast a large smile at his American Olympic teammate.

"Every mistake was like almost a layup," said Calderon.

The trouble signs are everywhere.

Bosh once again teetered from uninvolved to something close to uninterested, not guarding the lane, not attacking the basket, going for long stretches like he was going through the motions.

But he was not solely to blame for this dog of an outing. The Raptors didn't rebound as a team, they committed 19 turnovers that Cleveland turned into 27 points and they were never a threat to win.

Jermaine O'Neal, who politely declined to discuss the events after the game ("I've got nothing to say, it's the same stuff, it's just redundant") had more turnovers (six) than he did rebounds (four), Calderon had just three assists – and three turnovers – in just 24 minutes.

The body language said dejection but not anger.

"I don't think that they've turned on themselves at all and I don't think they've turned on anybody else," said coach Jay Triano. "I just think they're angry like everybody is. Losing isn't fun."

The Raptors haven't won since before they left on a western trip that cost then-head coach Sam Mitchell his job. They've trailed by at least 10 points at the end of the first quarter in three of their last four defeats and have been beaten by at least 20 in three of their five straight losses.

Bosh had just nine points and hasn't scored more than 15 in any game on the losing streak and has gone long stretches without being the focal point of the offence.

"I don't know what happened (last night), we need him to take more shots and we need everybody to play a little bit better," said Calderon. "(Tonight) is a great game for us at home. We have to start proving ourselves. We have to start winning."

Sports Logo

I read up to "We said it then and we will repeat it again that the Raptors made the wrong choice in moving forward with their starter at point guard." and couldn't any more.

These are the same media people who rode TJ out of town. You hear TJ all the time mention that he wasn't the problem and it's obvious now he wasn't.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I read up to "We said it then and we will repeat it again that the Raptors made the wrong choice in moving forward with their starter at point guard." and couldn't any more.

These are the same media people who rode TJ out of town. You hear TJ all the time mention that he wasn't the problem and it's obvious now he wasn't.
    Lol, that's crazy.. I stopped at the exact same point.. and was like, ok, this isn't worth my time anymore..

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

"Ford's ability to create his own shot, attack defences and his willingness to take over games in late-game situations are precisely what the Raptors need."

Hmmmm. The Ps aren't using him in late-game situations either.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    "Ford's ability to create his own shot, attack defences and his willingness to take over games in late-game situations are precisely what the Raptors need."

Hmmmm. The Ps aren't using him in late-game situations either.
    He's certainly has been in most late game situations. He wasn't against the Celtics on Sunday (for the most part) and I think maybe 2 or 3 other games - but other than that Ford has been in. (exceot for defensive purposes I want Ford in the game at the end - although as I was watching the game on Sunday I agreed with having Jack in there - not sure why but he was playing well)

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Hope you're right, and it was just the Celts.

I didn't agree with keeping TJ out. He's more of a gamer than Quis or Jack, in my opinion. What we lose in defense is made up by his good offense late in games.

P.S. He's not great -- as we've seen in some late game situations where he's been a bit wild. But he's the best we've got.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wild means out-of-control but easy to block layup attempts?

Hmmm....

There's a difference between "able to create his own shot" and "able to create a makable shot."
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

woman without a team

I got as far as Toronto Sun: trading TJ Ford was a mistake and then I said "No ".

Ha!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Want him back? We'll take Jarett Jack for him.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

HC

Sorry, I was making a trade proposal and this article came up as a blast from the past. I simply found it hilarious given our certain situation....

Ok more sad then hilarious but still

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Brutal. But not so much as it is for the writer. Guy knows his stuff....for the loss.

Mood

Can I hypnotize TOR management into making Ford/Diener for Jack/Banks a reality?

Sports Logo

Jose ( if anything ) is a highly efficient PG that can properly run a team while being a solid shooter. His defense supposedly sucks....but it's not like starting quality PGs that plays great defense grows on trees. Even with Jose's longer contract, I'd easily trade Jose for TJ.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

T.J.'s been well below his usual form here in Indy. I'd argue that no one's been more affected by our losing culture and questionable coaching than Ford.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lance George For This Useful Post:

Just to make sure, you guys did see the original post is from 2008, right?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Want him back? We'll take Jarett Jack for him.
    Yes, please.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Tom White View Post
    Just to make sure, you guys did see the original post is from 2008, right?
    The Raptors are still struggling. That was my premise.