Thread: Indiana Still in the McGrady Sweepstakes?

Default Indiana Still in the McGrady Sweepstakes?

Bluffing to get Artest included?
    Personally, I don't think they'd have to work too hard to get Artest included unless the Pacers are using Artest for another prong to their trade plans and have two (or more) things on the burner.

Sorry if this has already been posted... I can't keep up....

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.d...406220389/1002

Front-Runners In McGrady Trade May Be Rockets

By Dick Scanlon
    The Ledger
    dick.scanlon@theledger.com

ORLANDO -- The Houston Rockets moved to the front of the pack in the Tracy McGrady sweepstakes Monday as the race turned into the homestretch.

The Rockets have reportedly offered guards Steve Francis and Cuttino Mobley and backup center Kelvin Cato to the Magic in exchange for McGrady, forward Juwan Howard and point guard Tyronn Lue.

If the trade goes through, it would unite McGrady, the NBA's top scorer in each of the last two seasons, with 7foot-6 Yao Ming, the league's best young center.

Having failed to get a longterm commitment from McGrady, the Magic have been running an auction for the Auburndale-raised star. They anticipate taking the best offer they can get for McGrady before Thursday's NBA Draft.

Several NBA teams have made offers for the 25-yearold McGrady and for the Magic's No. 1 overall draft pick. The Magic have not announced whether they will draft Connecticut center Emeka Okafor or Atlanta high school star Dwight Howard.

"Everyone in the league has obviously heard rumors or read things and called to get a sense as to where I stand," said Magic general manager John Weisbrod, who is in daily contact with McGrady's agent, Arn Tellem.

"It's exciting stuff," Weisbrod said. "Certainly when you think about putting your best foot forward and making a best effort on every front, dealing with the Tracy thing is sort of a full-time endeavor, and dealing with the draft is sort of a full-time endeavor, and running the company is a full-time endeavor."

Several news outlets were reporting the trade as imminent, but Weisbrod was also considering offers from Indiana, Phoenix and probably others. It is not known whether Weisbrod is bluffing the Rockets trade in an attempt to get the Pacers to include forward Ron Artest in their offer.

The rumored Houston trade would meet the requirements of the NBA salary cap, since the combined salaries of the players going one way were within $1 million of the salaries going to the other way.

But there are complications. McGrady, who plans to opt out of his contract next summer, would have to agree in advance to a long-term contract with his new team, since no team would be interested in acquiring him for only one season.

And Francis, who has five years left on a contract which will pay him $11.3 million next season, isn't thrilled about the deal.

"I thought we were really building something, something very good in Houston," Francis told the Houston Chronicle.

The 27-year-old, 6-3 Francis averaged 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds and 6.2 assists last season while the 6-4, 28-year-old

Mobley averaged 15.8 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.2 assists last year.

Cato, 6-11 and 275 pounds, backed up Yao in Houston. He would probably be Orlando's starting center.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Default Re: Indiana Still in the McGrady Sweepstakes?

I doubt it. He is most likely going to Houston.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Reading ESPN's Chad Ford today, he says T-Mac only wants to play for the Rockets, so the Magic are stuck. Ford said look for the Magic to make sveral trades, they won't keep both Mobley and Francis

Reading ESPN's Chad Ford today, he says T-Mac only wants to play for the Rockets, so the Magic are stuck. Ford said look for the Magic to make sveral trades, they won't keep both Mobley and Francis
    Harrington for Mobley, anyone?
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

Maybe if they throw in Cato.

Though this whole Luke Jackson thing is making me think twice
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

LAPacer

Sign me up.

I think I would do that, unless the Pacers are trading Artest for sure, then I would have to know what they are getting for Artest

Francis makes 11 million?

how much does mobley make?

because if it was remotely close i mite rather have francis if at all possible (while keeping artest)

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Francis makes 11 million?

how much does mobley make?

because if it was remotely close i mite rather have francis if at all possible (while keeping artest)
    From what I've seen Mobley is slated to make 5.8 million next season.