Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It is obvious: Pacers are trying to trade Artest

Default It is obvious: Pacers are trying to trade Artest

All of us Artest lovers need to be honest and accept reality that the Pacers are trying to trade Artest. The other teams in the NBA know it, Pacers will deny it to try to keep his trade value as high as possible, but if you read the NY Times and Post articles today and several others from the past week or so, it is obvious to me that the Pacers are doing everything they can to trade Artest.

The still might trade Al Harrington also.

Mark Montieth found out about Artest missing the meeting when he called Ron and Ron told him so then MM confirmed with LB. This info was in MM latest Q&A.

As almost all of you know, I might be the biggest Artest fan around, but when the Pacers trade Artest and when they don't get what I consider fair trade value, I won't be mad at DW, LB or the Pacers, I'll be mad at Artest. This is all his fault, he had a chance this past season to have a clean slate, but he blew it, he appears to have caused some problems during the playoffs, he could have fit into the current team much better, but he didn't, and for that I blame Artest.

Default Re: It is obvious: Pacers are trying to trade Artest

[quote
    As almost all of you know, I might be the biggest Artest fan around, but when the Pacers trade Artest and when they don't get what I consider fair trade value, I won't be mad at DW, LB or the Pacers, I'll be mad at Artest. [/quote]

While I see your point UB, I will not let Bird or Walsh off that easy. If they can't get some (more than) decent talent back for Artest then they have failed at their jobs. Plain and simple the buck ( ) stops with them.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

I refuse to accept it....
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I'd be interested in knowing why he refused to get on the plane after the Miami loss.

But other than that, I know this has to be hard on Artest fans. It's very sad really because the guy is one hell of a player.

I can only assume that if this goes down Ron has caused so many problems behind the scenes that the Org. is just litterally throwing their hands up in the air & giving up.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

All of us Artest lovers need to be honest and accept reality that the Pacers are trying to trade Artest.
    Maybe I'm just drinking the kool-aid, but I disagree.

I think there is a difference between trying to trade Artest, and being willing to trade him. I think the Pacers are actively shopping Harrington, but are listening to offers for Artest.

In other words, they prefer to keep Artest, but would trade him if the right offer came through. For all of his issues, the Pacers are far better off with him on the roster, and because of his issues, I think its unlikely they will get an offer they like.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Y'all ...

I think it's my fault.

I ... I ... I bought a Ron Artest jersey at the Thanksgiving game this year.

I don't know what I was thinking. I know that every time I buy a jersey, a player leaves, but I couldn't help it.

Looks like this one might go in the drawer of discarded Pacers, along with Fred "the wonder dog" Hoiberg. :
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Y'all ...

I think it's my fault.

I don't know what I was thinking. I know that every time I buy a jersey, a player leaves, but I couldn't help it.

Looks like this one might go in the drawer of discarded Pacers, along with Fred "the wonder dog" Hoiberg. :
    I'll buy your Fred Hoiberg Pacers jersey. Honest.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Y'all ...

I think it's my fault.

I'll buy your Fred Hoiberg Pacers jersey. Honest.

Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

PacerStud

Maybe the rest of the league sees the problems with Artest and they aren't willing to give up much for him. Every GM or coach thinks that he can be the one person to handle a given 'problem child'. They'll be willing to take a chance on him, but don't want to give up too much just in case it doesn't work.

Maybe the rest of the league sees the problems with Artest and they aren't willing to give up much for him. Every GM or coach thinks that he can be the one person to handle a given 'problem child'. They'll be willing to take a chance on him, but don't want to give up too much just in case it doesn't work.
    I hope so. Maybe this way we can keep him.

I guess we'll see in the next few days.

Since Artest is a much better player than his salary, the only way I see him being traded is by packaging him with an albatross like Croshere or Pollard.

I don't see the point myself. He made huge strides in his behavior this year though he still doesn't qualify for the choir.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hope so. Maybe this way we can keep him.

I guess we'll see in the next few days.
    That is simply NOT acceptable. I want to know NOW!

and following BillS's theory, I bought Geezer Jr. a JO jersey
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

I don't see the point myself. He made huge strides in his behavior this year though he still doesn't qualify for the choir.
    Precisely what I am saying. People can't seem to realize he made HUGE strides in his behavior this year. Compared to last year, he was amazing. I can't see why he isn't going to improve more.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Ahh, but as long as you haven't established a history of driving players away, that's not a problem.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Ahh, but as long as you haven't established a history of driving players away, that's not a problem.
    I've always been terrified to buy a Pacers jersey, since I'm convinced if I do so, they'll either get hurt or traded. I got a Marvin Harrison jersey long before he ever made it big, so that wasn't a problem, but I'm not about to chance it with my Pacers.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I've always been terrified to buy a Pacers jersey, since I'm convinced if I do so, they'll either get hurt or traded. I got a Marvin Harrison jersey long before he ever made it big, so that wasn't a problem, but I'm not about to chance it with my Pacers.
    Go for Primoz.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

All of us Artest lovers need to be honest and accept reality that the Pacers are trying to trade Artest.
    Maybe I'm just drinking the kool-aid, but I disagree.

I think there is a difference between trying to trade Artest, and being willing to trade him. I think the Pacers are actively shopping Harrington, but are listening to offers for Artest.

In other words, they prefer to keep Artest, but would trade him if the right offer came through. For all of his issues, the Pacers are far better off with him on the roster, and because of his issues, I think its unlikely they will get an offer they like.
    I wish I had said that! That's my thoughts!

To the few of you STILL in denial about Artest, WE ARE NOT REFERRING TO HIS ON-COURT ISSUES. THOSE HAVE IMPROVED. IT'S WHAT'S HAPPENED BEHIND-THE-SCENES THAT HAS HIM OUT THE DOOR.

Maybe by Christmas you'll all get that.

Well, I don't mind trading Artest but for Bonzi [and a pick landing Luke Jackson]

Come on now, we don't improve here.

We don't get to that championship level really, no better shooting because Jackson won't contribute enough this season so i'm crossing him out.

I would much rather get Posey but I guess Bonzi is the guy.

What about if we could get a package including Wells/Battier/Jackson for Artet? Just a quick thought.

uhh Hicks ?

We are not shopping him

we only made it clear he is available for the "right" price.

now that is something to be discussed, but dumping him is NOT something I see DW/LB doing, they can ALWAYS do that, even when he is completely out of control again, there is alway someone who thinks he can do better with a talent of that magnitude.

If the right price does not come along, he will be a Pacer next year.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

I figiured I would have been the last holdout, and maybe I will be to a small degree, I still love how the guy plays, but at some point enough is enough. I am a big believer in team chemistry.

My biggest fear is that the Pacers trade him in the next few weeks, (keep in mind he won't turn 25 until November) and in 2 or 3 years when he is in his prime at the ages of 27 and 28 years old that he matures to the point where he is not a distraction. And if that is the case he could be a star a top 6 player in the whole NBA. That is what I think of his talent and how hard he plays.

This is all very difficult for me

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A side note to the Artest for Bonzi and the #10 or whatever it is. I jsut noted that per Hoopshype listing, Bonzi's $8 mil contract expires at the end of this coming season. Draw your own conclusions.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

To the few of you STILL in denial about Artest, WE ARE NOT REFERRING TO HIS ON-COURT ISSUES. THOSE HAVE IMPROVED. IT'S WHAT'S HAPPENED BEHIND-THE-SCENES THAT HAS HIM OUT THE DOOR.

Hicks, a little strong, don't you think?

I think everyone "gets that". I think virtually everyone has a good grip between his on-court abilities, his occassional on-court antics and the part that we don't see that is behind the scenes.

But one thing that YOU must admit is that a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff is 3rd-hand, 15th-hand, whatever.... rumor. A couple of those rumors have been confirmed by LB, others have not.

Larry and Donnie have a balancing act to play out this summer. They have team that is very close to making a finals appearance. With a break or two, maybe even capable of making a finals appearance with its present roster. With a little roster tweaking, a team that is likely to make a finals appearance.

If they give up players and receive lesser value in return, then we obviously are taking a step backwards. Not an astute statement, but one I'll start things off with anyway.

Based on the number of earlier rumors that we heard about possible trades with Orlando, I don't believe there is any doubt whatsoever that the Pacers are willing to part with Harrington. They aren't just listening when it comes to Al, they are actively pursuing alternatives.

However, we don't hear a lot out there about Artest. That would seem to indicate that they MAY NOT be actively pursuing alternatives, but are politely listening to what other GMs have to say in their inquiries about Artest.

I think one thing that must be analyzed is the likelihood that the Pacers would be willing to part with both Artest and Harrington. Now I don't pretend to be as sharp as LB or DW, but look at the facts. Bender is not ready and Croshere cannot adequately cover SF for 35 minutes a night, so it makes virtually no sense at all that our guys would intend to trade both Harrington and Artest, only to leave a hole at SF. Makes no sense at all.

So, I believe Harrington is being shopped to get us a backcourt player that can shoot. In virtually every rumored trade that has been published that has a SG coming to the Pacers, Al has been mentioned.

So, unless I start hearing multiple rumors about Ron being traded for another small forward and other players or draft choices, then I'm definitely not believing that the Pacers are actively shopping him.

But if the Pacers were actively shopping him, you'd be hearing a whole hell of a lot more rumors than you've heard so far about trades involving Ron. A team makes overtures to another, and those things have a habit of taking on a life of their own and leaking out.

If that doesn't sound rational to you, I challenge you to provide a better analysis.

You and others have got Ron "out the door" on basically an emotiional reaction alone. When it comes to business, I just think it's important to provide a logical scenario, and not merely an emotional one.

I think everyone "gets that". I think virtually everyone has a good grip between his on-court abilities, his occassional on-court antics and the part that we don't see that is behind the scenes.

But one thing that YOU must admit is that a lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff is 3rd-hand, 15th-hand, whatever.... rumor. A couple of those rumors have been confirmed by LB, others have not.
    I don't get them from rumors. Some of us have sources. I didn't like to hear it, didn't want to believe it at first, but the truth is it did confirm the speculation. He's been a big hassle behind the scenes all year.

I'm not happy about it, any trade we make for him is likely a step-backwards basketball-wise. But I've had time to get over it, and now I'm just getting a little fed up with people who pretend there is no problem despite public things slipping that point to what is in fact the truth.

I don't get them from rumors. Some of us have sources. I didn't like to hear it, didn't want to believe it at first, but the truth is it did confirm the speculation. He's been a big hassle behind the scenes all year.

I'm not happy about it, any trade we make for him is likely a step-backwards basketball-wise. But I've had time to get over it, and now I'm just getting a little fed up with people who pretend there is no problem despite public things slipping that point to what is in fact the truth.
    Hicks, I assure you that I also have "sources".... in the office, on the court, formerly on the court and in the broadcast booth.

But one thing that I'm able to accept is that as careful as they try to be, my "sources" may spew something and be wrong. Unless I see it in print coming straight form a DW or LB quote, you absolutely must take it with a grain of salt. If it's not from one of them, it is 3rd-hand at best.