Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Troy Murphy is worthless

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Default Troy Murphy is worthless

There has to be some way we can drop this guy I would honestly be in full support of a DNP-CD unless Shawne, Jeff, Dave, and Ike were all injured. He picked up more rebounds than JO but JO had to set out nearly all the 2nd half with foul trouble trying to cover murphy's worthless excuse for defense. Tinsley had a good night, looks like Rush can hit that three with regularity finally but it's all a wash cause we let the raptors go on a 2305983246098235 - 0 run in the 4th quarter.

Default Re: Troy Murphy is worthless

YES. . . PLAY Sims instead. Horrible Defender.
    R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Jermaine wasn't very good on offense tonight, and I like Jermaine. But he did pick up at least two fouls trying to help Murph.

After Murphy missed his fifth straight 3-pointer, Denari said "Well, shooters just keep shooting" and I yelled at the TV "THEN WHAT'S TROY'S EXCUSE?"
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After Murphy missed his fifth straight 3-pointer, Denari said "Well, shooters just keep shooting" and I yelled at the TV "THEN WHAT'S TROY'S EXCUSE?"
    That's the thing about Murphy. He's strange. He's kind of a contradiction to his own reputation.

He's a good rebounder, but doesn't help you control the boards.

He works very hard, but he's still out of shape.

He's a good shooter.....except when he's missing a lot of shots.

I'm using that as my sig, that's gold.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

to the subject title.

yep pretty much.

If you havin' depth problems, I feel bad for you son; I got 99 problems but a bench ain't one! - Hicks
    @thatguyjoe84

Jermaine wasn't very good on offense tonight, and I like Jermaine. But he did pick up at least two fouls trying to help Murph.

R.I.P. Bernic Mac & Isaac Hayes

Our two best interior options currently are Harrison and Foster IMO. Don't care how much time JO misses, 1 rebound or whatever he ended up with is a crock. Murphy...well what is there to say that hasn't already been said?

I think they were actually on consecutive defenses that is happened then granger picked one up trying to help murphy on the 3rd. I could be wrong they could have been spaced out but even quinn buckner started to point the finger saying "oh well the reason JO picked up that foul was cause murphy let bosh go to his left instead of forcing him to the baseline." but I remember pleading at the TV screen "for **** sakes jim pull murphy out before our entire frontcourt fouls out!" he'd just stand there after the fact with the same dumb look on his face that's half "it wasn't my fault" and half disbelief that he let yet another guy beat him.

You'd think the law of averages would catch up with him and there'd eventually be someone in the NBA he can guard, but nope murphy's law applies for him no matter what "anything bad that could happen in fact will happen" for Murphy

I agree, I'd give Murphy up for just about anyone. If our bigs ever get healthy Murphy won't see any playing time. You'd think if Dumars could sell the Bobcats on Mohamed, then Larry could've sold them on the merits of Murphy.
    I'd have to say if J.O. doesn't get back to playing his game within the next 2-3 weeks I'm going to wonder if this is all we'll get from him this season. With J. O. playing like he is, and Murphy begging someone to take him out of the lineup, Ike really has a chance to shine when he comes back.
    Give me a lineup at the end of the season with Ike, and Foster starting. Then J.O., Harrison, and Williams taking all the bench minutes.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Thats what i've been trying to tell people since the third game of the season (but not necessarily last year when we picked him up because RC's offense was better for a slow player). He is a false positive. He has good stats, but only on a individual stat level, not a team level. I'd much rather have a Jeff Foster that does things that don't even show up on the box score. I still remember last year after the trade when he got schooled by Sheed in that game.

Not that I don't like him, but I just don't like him in Obie's offense. Now that we have an up tempo offense he just cant keep up. The only thing he contributes is a few rebounds and a 3 pointer or 2 for a game. I'd rather go with split minutes between Hulk (for defensive matchups) and Shawne Williams for a more athletic team. Troy can be useful in certain situations, but there just aren't very many of them.

One of my favorite games so far this year was when he got the DNP.

I'd like to call Antonio Davis out of retirement.

Sometimes I just can't figure out Obie's coaching. I like what hes doing, but for the life of me I can't figure out why Troy played 33 minutes and Shawne played 6.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    Sometimes I just can't figure out Obie's coaching. I like what hes doing, but for the life of me I can't figure out why Troy played 33 minutes and Shawne played 6.
    or why dave only got 10

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Troy is the type of player you want logging the most minutes.....when he's on the opposition. What he subtracts with poor defense, he only adds back enough to even things out on his best days...which only come once every 10 games.

It's a shame the Pacers determine who plays based on paycheck. If Murphy was not making 10M or whatever, he would be a bench warmer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    or why dave only got 10
    Yes, Harrison scored 8 points in 10 minutes on 50% shooting with a block. 3 boards and only 1 foul. That would have been a miracle game for David last year.

Yeah really questionable moves. You have to wonder if we are trying showcase Murphy in some way. Of course hes really not helping us out.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

I think he'd be great for Orlando, they have no problem with big contracts down there, all they do is stand at the 3 point line and wait for a pass and they've been looking for a way to get Rashard Lewis moved back over to SF instead of PF, they can offer us expiring contracts, and draft picks (picks is a bigtime stretch). Arroyo + Battie for Murphy works out. We get our backup PG we need whose contract is up after one year and Battie played the best ball of his life under O'Brian and his contract ends a year earlier tha murphy's would.

Yeah really questionable moves. You have to wonder if we are trying showcase Murphy in some way. Of course hes really not helping us out.
    If he was trying to sell Murphy, he certainly wouldn't let him put his uniform on let alone get on the floor...lol.

How does Oneal get one rebound?
    Murphy's contract will prevent the team from moving him
    and whats with all the extra weight...

Mood

Yeah, if your showcasing him, then don't play him. Just be the best car salesman you can be, and pull out his old Golden State Warrior "double double" stats and capabilites, and showcase those.

Quote Originally Posted by Claptonrocks View Post
    How does Oneal get one rebound?
    Murphy's contract will prevent the team from moving him
    and whats with all the extra weight...
    When you have a glass eater like Troy out there, all that's left are scraps....or Maybe JO's just using his vacation days before the year ends.

Yes, that's messed up. A 6'11" athletic long player like JO should get more than one rebound.

It's called effort.

I could be wrong about this but I think he was told by Bird to put on that extra added weight to bang down low with the other bigs of the league. I'm pretty sure it was Bird's idea and not JOB's cause JOB said he wanted Troy to lose 10lbs. That'd be pretty frustrating the GM of the team your on tells you you should put on 10lbs he goes puts some bulk on himself and then the new coach gets here and says lose 10lbs. I at least sympathize with murphy on that level but aside from that I hope they make him ride on the wing at 30,000 ft on the way to South Beach tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    I could be wrong about this but I think he was told by Bird to put on that extra added weight to bang down low with the other bigs of the league. I'm pretty sure it was Bird's idea and not JOB's cause JOB said he wanted Troy to lose 10lbs. That'd be pretty frustrating the GM of the team your on tells you you should put on 10lbs he goes puts some bulk on himself and then the new coach gets here and says lose 10lbs. I at least sympathize with murphy on that level but aside from that I hope they make him ride on the wing at 30,000 ft on the way to South Beach tonight.
    Murphy's chain has been yanked around quite a bit in that regard. The Warriors, after his rookie year where he showed some nice flashes, tried to bulk him up in hopes he'd be kind of like a Brad Miller 2.0

It worked the following year, but then the year after that he started developing foot problems (plantar fasciitis IIRC). It took away from his mobility a lot. Then when Nellie came in, he asked Murphy (along with everyone else) to slim down.

Then the Pacers ask him to bulk back up only to now hear again from JOB that he needs to lose 10 lbs. I'd be confused too if I were him.

You slim down Murphy and he's Mike Dunleavy without the bball IQ.

The title to this thread could not be more appropriate.