Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toronto Fires Sam Mitchell

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Toronto Fires Sam Mitchell

http://www.fan590.com/more.jsp?conte...03_170623_4780

Someone posted this in the random thoughts and I thought it needed its own thread.

Didn't some people (maybe myself included) see him as a good successor to RC back in the day?

Default Re: Toronto Fires Sam Mitchell

man GMs really are not patient

next one most likely to go down: Mo Cheeks

Whoa!

i was def expecting this.

Holy Crap!!!!!

Did anybody see this coming.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There are a lot of problems with this team.

I don't know what they expected from JO but at least from some message boards the honeymoon seems to be ending and the fans are waiting for the "dominance" that was seemingly promised to them. Now I'm not saying that to get anything started because I like JO but unless they use the cap space in 2010 to do more than just sign Bosh we probably fleeced them on the trade.

That, and I hear a lot of discontent about Caledron's attitude but I don't know if that's true.

The other thing I seemed to have gathered from RealGM posters is that Mitchell and BC did not see eye to eye on the sort of offense the team was to run. I hear that BC has a "euro-centric" approach to basketball that Mitchell didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are a lot of problems with this team.

I don't know what they expected from JO but at least from some message boards the honeymoon seems to be ending and the fans are waiting for the "dominance" that was seemingly promised to them. Now I'm not saying that to get anything started because I like JO but unless they use the cap space in 2010 to do more than just sign Bosh we probably fleeced them on the trade.

That, and I hear a lot of discontent about Caledron's attitude but I don't know if that's true.

The other thing I seemed to have gathered from RealGM posters is that Mitchell and BC did not see eye to eye on the sort of offense the team was to run. I hear that BC has a "euro-centric" approach to basketball that Mitchell didn't like.
    What is the euro centric approach?

woman without a team

I don't know who they think they're going to get to replace him. Kevin O'Neil is probably available.

There was some minor grumplings from Toronto, but diden't expect this.. they have been slightly underperforming but not as much as the 6ers

If they hire some one new, fresh, i'll be ok with this but if they hire Hubie Brown I'm gonna go ape, well atleast it will get him of espn...

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    I don't know who they think they're going to get to replace him. Kevin O'Neil is probably available.
    Wasn't Kevin O'Neil already fired as Raptors coach?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BKK View Post

My guess? Mike Dunleavy in ClippersLand.

The problem is that the Clippers FO will completely ignore how bad of a mistake it was to sign Baron for that much $$$ and leading them to an astounding 3-14 record.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I think that the GM believed getting JO would make the Raps the next Celtics. Instead, It's made them topheavy with a far weaker backcourt.

I think the team is actually matching its composition in the W/L column. Changing coaches now basically destroys any chance they might have in turning this season around.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
    What is the euro centric approach?
    Whatever offense/defense they had in Phoenix before he left for Toronto.......high-scoring, fast-paced, high-ball movement type of basketball....basically how the Europeans play and what we saw in the Olympics when we played against teams like Spain.

I could be wrong....but BC has been very Euro-Centric when it comes to building the Raptors by drafting / acquiring Players that have had some background in European style of Basketball. The Raptors have players like Jose Calderon, Bargani, Jorge Garbajosa ( who subsequently left the team ) and Anthony Parker ( who played in Europe before returning to the NBA ).
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-03-2008 at 05:50 PM.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo

They just don't have enough depth. The injuries to Calderon and JO just made that more obvious. I wouldn't be surprised if Bosh bolted in 2010.

Chris Bosh-F/C- Raptors Dec. 3 - 5:29 pm et

Fan 590 in Toronto is reporting that Raptors head coach Sam Mitchell has been fired.
    That's all we know for now, but it will be interesting to see if the next coach continues to start Andrea Bargani at small forward. Regardless of what happens, Chris Bosh is obviously still a top fantasy player going forward.

Andrea Bargnani-F/C- Raptors Dec. 3 - 5:33 pm et

The Raptors have fired Sam Mitchell and named Jay Triano interim head coach one day after losing to Denver by 39.
    It remains to be seen how the coaching change could shake up the team's playing rotation, but a new regime could potentially boost the talented but erratic Andrea Bargnani, who has been in and out of Mitchell's doghouse over the years.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...aspx?sport=NBA

Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Why? I don't understand this at all!

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    They just don't have enough depth. The injuries to Calderon and JO just made that more obvious. I wouldn't be surprised if Bosh bolted in 2010.
    Unless there is some kind of behind the scenes discontent regarding Bosh and Mitchell, I'd agree that all signs point to Bosh bolting Toronto when his contract is up.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Whatever offense/defense they had in Phoenix before he left for Toronto.......high-scoring, fast-paced, high-ball movement type of basketball....basically how the Europeans play and what we saw in the Olympics when we played against teams like Spain.

I could be wrong....but BC has been very Euro-Centric when it comes to building the Raptors by drafting / acquiring Players that have had some background in European style of Basketball. The Raptors have players like Jose Calderon, Bargani, Jorge Garbajosa ( who subsequently left the team ) and Anthony Parker ( who played in Europe before returning to the NBA ).
    Calderon was signed by Babcock, but anyway the halfcourt stuff doesn't work for them, poor defence and no easy baskets in transition, iv'e seen plenty of Raptors games because the time when they play on Sunday mornings is perfect for me and they seem like they don't have any plays, it's Calderon Bosh pick and roll 90% of the time. Sam Mitchell is best for teaching young kids to play, like Oklahoma imo.

streets ahead

My guess? Mike Dunleavy in ClippersLand.
    the new clippers GM and dunleavy just don't see eye to eye...

Next to be fired is reggie theus

Quote Originally Posted by BKK View Post

Honestly? I can't believe it took this long to fire him I figured he'd be out the door after Kobe dropped 81 on them two years ago.

sweabs

Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    Holy Crap!!!!!

Did anybody see this coming.
    I have for weeks..........

My post in the Random Thoughts Thread from close to 2 weeks ago (Link):

Quote Originally Posted by sweabs
    I wouldn't be surprised if Sam Mitchell loses his job within the next few weeks.
    And then I called it again last night (Link):

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sweabs
    I wouldn't be surprised if Sam Mitchell loses his job within the next few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by sweabs
    I can feeeeeeel it. He's making a strong push for it after tonight's loss.

Colangelo isn't going to stand for this much longer, me thinks.

Needless to say, this wasn't surprising at all. Then again, I watch each game and work within the environment so I might not represent the majority at large.

I will definitely miss Sam. He was one of the most entertaining people to be around. I looked forward to seeing him each day - because I was GUARANTEED to laugh my ass off when he swung by our floor. He has a real great presence about him. He's loud; he's crude; he says whatever the heck he wants to say. In fact, he called me a "virgin pedophile" on my first day on the job.

Anyway, Jay Triano will be stepping in and Bryan Colangelo has stated that it will more than likely be for the rest of the year. Jay is a Canadian basketball icon and coached our national team for many years. We'll see how he does coaching an NBA squad. I wish him the best.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    It's probably one of the greener coaches with young teams - like Theus or Iavaroni.

I think guys like Cheeks and Woodson will have a grace period. Cheeks overachieved last year and is now working in a Brand new guy. Woodson made the playoffs for the first time and had a rocky season but finished with a nice series against Boston, so...

Dunleavy just assumed the GM responsibilities so he won't be going anywhere for a while (because 1] owner is a cheap ******* and 2] the only thing that franchise is great at is losing - why **** up a good thing?).

Before the trade, I would have said George Karl.
    Last edited by avoidingtheclowns; 12-03-2008 at 06:30 PM.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    Yeah....he's my 2nd choice behind Dunleavy. At least for Theus.....they have an excuse....KMartin has been out for the majority of the season and they are relying on a very young team to carry them.

Dunleavy IMHO is on thinner ice as he has a far more talented Starting Lineup and a 3-14 record to show for it. But in his defense.....I don't think it's entirely his fault.....he has a totally new Starting Lineup to deal with.

But since we are playing the "Whose on the Chopping Block?" game, I think that the next FO guy to go is Mullin. That Maggette signing was a huge mistake while acquiring a Player like JCraw to add to their already crowded backcourt while putting up a rather sad record.

Yeah....he's my 2nd choice behind Dunleavy. At least for Theus.....they have an excuse....KMartin has been out for the majority of the season and they are relying on a very young team to carry them.

Dunleavy IMHO is on thin ice....but IMHO...I don't think it's entirely his fault.....he has a totally new Starting Lineup to deal with.

Since we are playing the "Whose on the Chopping Block?" game,. I think that the next FO guy to go is Mullin. That Maggette signing was a huge mistake while acquiring a Player like JCraw to add to their already crowded backcourt.
    I believe its more or less official that this is Mullin's last year.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny