Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Dunleavy Set To Return Next Week?

Default Mike Dunleavy Set To Return Next Week?

Indiana Pacers guard Mike Dunleavy could be taking a significant step toward his season debut as early as next week.

Dunleavy, who has not played this season because of bone spurs in his right knee, will undergo a test on the knee in the next week to 10 days to see if he is ready to start practicing.

"We're going to see how the next week or so goes," he said. "I have to pass some test in terms of on-court activities, and after that, hopefully, I'll be able to pick it up more and more."

Dunleavy, who missed only 11 games in his first six seasons, has been a spectator in the Pacers' first 18 games.

He attends every practice and game to get treatment on his knee. He spends significant time doing strength and conditioning work on his knee while his teammates practice. He then does on-court drills after practice.

"He's devastated to be out of uniform," Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said. "I would say the same thing about Travis (Diener). This is their livelihood. Michael loves the game of basketball and he also understands he's important to this team.

"We pretty much built this offense with him and Danny (Granger) in mind. He's such a good passer, which is one of the reasons why our turnovers are so high because we don't have him on the court."
    http://www.indystar.com/article/2008.../1088/SPORTS04

I hope this isnt a repost...if so, could an admin please delete it?
    Last edited by MillerTime; 12-04-2008 at 09:54 AM.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Default Re: Mike Dunleavy Set To Return Next Week?

This is odd...i thought he would out the whole season
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

This is odd....i thought it was a career ending injury

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

i'm lost....

at first they say his season debut next week...

then they say he will go through tests in the next 10 days to see if he can even start to practice...

am i just getting it wrong or what?

Quote Originally Posted by bellisimo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i'm lost....

at first they say his season debut next week...

then they say he will go through tests in the next 10 days to see if he can even start to practice...

am i just getting it wrong or what?
    I got from it that he COULD possibly return in 7 - 10 days depending on the tests

Basically, all it says is that they're going to test in the next week or 10 days to see if his knee is ready for practice .

There is no timetable for a return to practice or to games, but this is at least a (somewhat) positive step. Until we find out the results, he's still out indefinitely.

However, it does make me very, very slightly more optimistic that he'll return by the start of the year. The fact that the timing on the test is so uncertain, however, should keep you from getting too excited. You have to believe that if Junior felt he was ready to go, they'd be scheduling that test lickety-split.

Not trying to be negative, but this seems to be much ado about nothing.

In fact, what if he doesn't past the test, is it to the point where they start to consider surgery?

I really want him back, but honestly, they aren't going to compete for a championship this year. If he can't come back completely healthy, it's valuable for B Rush to get his minutes for the future of the franchise (and Roy indirectly). Valuable for Granger to have so much responsibility for the future of the franchise. Valuable for Marquis to still be playing at a high level to be part of the team or in trade value in the future.

And I'm not advocating tanking for a draft pick, but Jr. can't play fully healthy, his absence could make a 5-10 position swing in where they draft.

I'm just saying.

I definitely didn't foresee him being out of action as long as it has been, but my expectations as to his return have been going down by the game. I'll be pleasantly surprised, though, when he does return.

I am curious what a HEALTHY Dunleavy can do for this team. Will it make any difference?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    And I'm not advocating tanking for a draft pick, but Jr. can't play fully healthy, his absence could make a 5-10 position swing in where they draft.

I'm just saying.
    I agree that Dunleavy should only play if he can be healthy and effective. In fact, I think it's as simple as that. If he's healthy, he should play. If not, he shouldn't.

I don't consider our draft position at all. In fact, I think only bad things can come from factoring something like or our record that into our considerations.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    However, it does make me very, very slightly more optimistic that he'll return by the start of the year. The fact that the timing on the test is so uncertain, however, should keep you from getting too excited. You have to believe that if Junior felt he was ready to go, they'd be scheduling that test lickety-split.
    It's worded poorly. There isn't a test, so to speak, that will give results. Testing the knee means they will gradually increase his work load and see how the knee reacts, which is why it's going to take a while. Basically, it's an article about nothing. I'm sure they didn't put an 's' on the end of test in Dun's first quote.

Banned

THANK YOU GOD!

PS for all those dumbys, if Mike Dunleavy passes the test, he would practice, andlikely get in 5-10 minutes the second game back after practice. Then build from there.

BABY STEPS PEOPLE, trust me, Im a Kinesiologist!

Woo WOo!!!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not trying to be negative, but this seems to be much ado about nothing.

In fact, what if he doesn't past the test, is it to the point where they start to consider surgery?

I really want him back, but honestly, they aren't going to compete for a championship this year. If he can't come back completely healthy, it's valuable for B Rush to get his minutes for the future of the franchise (and Roy indirectly). Valuable for Granger to have so much responsibility for the future of the franchise. Valuable for Marquis to still be playing at a high level to be part of the team or in trade value in the future.

I'm just saying.
    I think it is critical that the Pacers put the best team possible on the floor this year. If Dun is capable of making this team better by playing while not damaging his future, he should be out there.

I think a draft pick will not get us the piece we need to improve above a playoff appearance team. I've discussed my reasons why in other threads, I won't go into them again.

The team this year deserves an opportunity to be the best they can be, and getting fans back in the seats depends on that. Anything less is an invitation to the malaise of previous years and breaks the fragile momentum they have built with the city.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Quote Originally Posted by FerengiMiller View Post
    THANK YOU GOD!

PS for all those dumbys, if Mike Dunleavy passes the test, he would practice, andlikely get in 5-10 minutes the second game back after practice. Then build from there.
    Seriously, is this necessary? (I'm assuming you mean "dummies".)
    Last edited by count55; 12-04-2008 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I think it is critical that the Pacers put the best team possible on the floor this year. If Dun is capable of making this team better by playing while not damaging his future, he should be out there.

I think a draft pick will not get us the piece we need to improve above a playoff appearance team. I've discussed my reasons why in other threads, I won't go into them again.

The team this year deserves an opportunity to be the best they can be, and getting fans back in the seats depends on that. Anything less is an invitation to the malaise of previous years and breaks the fragile momentum they have built with the city.

I agree with this. My point is that all is not lost for the future if he can't come back.

Oh, I never doubted that he'd be back this year. I'm just betting (based on history of the Pacers' training staff) that he'll come back, then play for a while and have difficulty, then develop complications, then be on and off for the end of the year. Some days he'll play great; the next day will be terrible because he can't move his legs.

This article does not inspire me.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Oh, I never doubted that he'd be back this year. I'm just betting (based on history of the Pacers' training staff) that he'll come back, then play for a while and have difficulty, then develop complications, then be on and off for the end of the year. Some days he'll play great; the next day will be terrible because he can't move his legs.

This article does not inspire me.

This is my biggest fear. If it's truely better for him to sit out the year, then do it. Get things right, all the way. I'm a little gunshy after watching JO for years.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The way I read it is that a good result on the tests could be a significant step in the journey to be able to start playing and the test would take place next week. Not that he was gonna play next week.

EDIT: Got me all excited with the title of the thread too.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

This is my biggest fear. If it's truely better for him to sit out the year, then do it. Get things right, all the way. I'm a little gunshy after watching JO for years.
    The problem is that I don't think they'll know until they try.

My biggest fear (which I consider extremely unlikely to actually come true) is that it turns into Stipo's mystery knee problem.

We need this guy on the court to be any good.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo

I agree with Anthem and Speed on this.....if he's not entirely ready...then don't rush him back. Assuming that there is some lingering doubt as to whether he is 100% or not....I wouldn't mind if we really waited until February to see how he is then risk any further aggrevation to the injury. This serves 2 purposes....to give BRush more exposure to the game ( which we need if he may eventually replace Marquis in the SG/SF rotation ) while giving Dunleavy more time to properly recover.

I'm with Anthem on this....how many times has the Medical Staff and FO deemed a Player healthy enough to play ( which isn't always the same as being 100% healthy ) then find out later that the Player wasn't truly fully healed and ended up worsening the condition if not his play?

Unfortunately, too many times to count. When it comes to injuries of any sort ( the achilles heel of the Pacers if not all teams ), I prefer to be cautious....let Dunleavy sit IF we are not 100% sure that he is healthy.....he needs to be as mobile as possible in order to be effective.

One more thing....you may want to change the title of the thread. Despite quoting part of the 1st sentence in the article, it's somewhat ambigious and unclear whether Dunleavy would actually be ready to return to the court and play regular minutes in a game or if he would simply be ready to return to actual practice by next week ( which doesn't necessarily mean that he will start playing anytime soon ). The impression I got from the article is that ( at best ), if all things go well, he may be ready to return to practice but probably not ready to engage in actual games for another 2 or 3 weeks.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-04-2008 at 01:18 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I'm starting to think he won't be able to play until he has surgery.

This is more strange reporting that I thought we were past. Correct me wrong, but it was tendonitis in the pre-season, right? And now it's bone spurs? I'm no doctor, so I guess the bone spurs could have been causing the tendonitis, but still, one requires rest, and one sometimes requires surgery.

Also, this is one of my pet peeves. Nobody is anxious to go under the knife, but I think more players should consider the timetables involved in this. If it's likely he'll need surgery, I feel it's better to just get it over with and spend the rest of the season and the summer rehabbing as opposed to trying every single other option first, ruining his season this year, and then ruining his season next year because he's still rehabbing and getting into shape. NBA players make such a big deal about "how many years they have in the league" when it comes to maximizing their money, yet they don't seem to see production on the court the same way.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good news.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

10 days before he's ready to TEST IT.

Then more time spent being able to start practicing at a somewhat normal level.

Then, barring ANY SETBACKS in any of this, he maybe plays in 4 weeks. Nothing in that article says Dun is set to return in a week, as in return to playing games.

Frankly after the "hard workouts" he wouldn't really even be "returning" to practices. But we all know, thanks to Mark, that this isn't what was really going on before.

This has optimistic spin non-story written all over it. If the name was JO or Tins in front of it not one poster on here would believe it even.