Thread: Life of Reilly:Don't hate Donovan. He's not the only player drawing a blank.

Default Life of Reilly:Don't hate Donovan. He's not the only player drawing a blank.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/st...ine&id=3737653

Donovan McNabb is getting $6.3M this year to play in the NFL, and yet was clueless that a regular-season game can end in a tie after one overtime. Then he added, "I'd hate to see what happens in the Super Bowl. You'd have to settle with a tie."

(Sound of America slapping its forehead.)

Oy. It'd be like a pro golfer going, "You mean I have to get it all the way into the stupid hole?" So I devised a little unscientific quiz to see if it's just Duhnovan who's brain-dead about his line of work, or if other players are rules-challenged too. Cover your eyes. It's not pretty.

Q: What does happen in the playoffs if the game is tied after the first overtime?

* Sam Madison, CB, Giants: "Are they gonna do a coin toss? The rule needs to be changed."
    * Shaun O'Hara, C, Giants: "Yeah, we don't want the Super Bowl decided by a coin flip."

Correct answer: Play continues until one team scores.

Q: How many points do you get for returning a blocked PAT all the way?

* Calvin Pace, LB, Jets: "Two? Isn't that the rule in college?"
    * Kerry Rhodes, S, Jets: "Wait, you're trying to trick me. It's either two or none. I say none."
    * Nick Mangold, C, Jets: "Seven? I have no idea."
    * Dustin Keller, TE, Jets: "I think it's two."
    * Madison: "Two."

Correct answer: Zero.

Q: If a punt is in the air while the game clock expires and the receiver signals and makes a fair catch, is the game over?

* Danny Clark, LB, Giants: "Yes."
    * Madison: "Yes."
    * Damon Huard, QB, Chiefs: "If the punter touched it, then the game is over."
    * Ray Rice, RB, Ravens: "Yes."
    * Pace: "Yes. It's an untimed play, isn't it?"

Correct answer: No, the receiving team can try a fair-catch kick.

Q: What is a fair-catch kick?

* Brendon Ayanbadejo, LB, Ravens: "The ball is put on the tee, or maybe there's a holder holding it, but there's nobody covering."
    * Jarret Johnson, LB, Ravens: "You kick from the 50, off the tee. You can cover it. We've gone over it in meetings, but you don't practice it because it's the kicker kicking off a tee."

Correct answer: A fair-catch kick is a field goal attempt following a fair catch. It can be a placekick or dropkick, but no tee may be used. It cannot be defensed.

Q: What is the penalty for running into the kicker on a quick kick?

* Clark: "Personal foul."
    * Jonathan Goff, LB, Giants: "Same as on a normal punt."
    * O'Hara: "Personal foul."
    * Ayanbadejo: "Roughing the kicker? Automatic first down? No, wait! If he's showing that he's running the ball, then you can hit him just like anybody else."
    * Johnson: "Fifteen yards and a first down."
    * Chester Pitts, G, Texans: "It's a 15-yard penalty. If you annihilate him, I guarantee someone will throw a flag."
    * Eric Barton, LB, Jets: "No idea."
    * Pace: "There isn't a penalty. I just took a wild guess on that one."

Correct answer: No penalty.

Q: What's the maximum number of challenges a coach can make in a game if he's always right?

* Clark: "As many as he wants."
    * Goff: "Two per half."
    * O'Hara: "Four."
    * Barton: "If he's right, why stop him?"
    * Pace: "Six."
    * Mangold: "I don't know. There goes my coaching gig."
    * Rhodes: "Three. You're not going to get me."

Correct answer: Three.

Q: When can the first-string QB reenter the game if the third-string quarterback is inserted before the fourth quarter?

* Huard: "After the fourth quarter, the first-string quarterback can come in."
    * Johnson: "You have to declare who your first- and second-string quarterbacks are?"
    * Pitts: "They're interchangeable. If someone wanted to wake up and start the third quarterback and then put in the first quarterback on the next series, they could."

Correct answer: Never. If the third quarterback is inserted before the fourth quarter, a team's first two quarterbacks cannot be used in the game at any position.

Q: Can the kicking team recover its own blocked punt and advance?

* Johnson: "No, it's dead."
    * Barton: "I don't think you can advance a blocked punt."
    * Mangold: "Don't know, great question."

Correct answer: Yes, if the kick is caught or received behind the line of scrimmage.

Q: Are most of these players very much hoping their coaches don't read this?

Correct answer: Yes.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Life of Reilly:Don't hate Donovan. He's not the only player drawing a blank.

Horrible article, but informative.

He asks questions that are really of no consequence, unlike OT rules. Why in the world you not be able to put your 1st string QB back into a game if the 3rd string QB is put in before the 4th qtr is beyond me. That's one of the stupidest rules I think I've ever read. Why in the world players would know that is even more of a puzzle. That's such a ticky tack question. Why in the world players would need to know that answer?

WTF is a fair catch kick? And why can't it be defensed?

All Rick did was make my head hurt.

Default Re: Life of Reilly:Don't hate Donovan. He's not the only player drawing a blank.

Yeah, that wasn't really fair. Aside from the question on challenges, most of those were way more obscure than the overtime rule. At least it seems that way to me.

The PAT return rule is something I've always wondered, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

He asks questions that are really of no consequence, unlike OT rules. Why in the world you not be able to put your 1st string QB back into a game if the 3rd string QB is put in before the 4th qtr is beyond me. That's one of the stupidest rules I think I've ever read. Why in the world players would know that is even more of a puzzle. That's such a ticky tack question. Why in the world players would need to know that answer?

Fair enough. Though I do think he made his point that while the OT rule may be more know by the overall audience there are many rules (like the playoff game ending in a tie question) that many people would think they would know that they did not.

A fair catch kid (from the way I read it) if where you fair catch a punt and as soon as you catch it you try to kick it through the uprights for 3 points. I have no clue why it can not be defensed.

Quote Originally Posted by indytoad View Post
    Yeah, that wasn't really fair. Aside from the question on challenges, most of those were way more obscure than the overtime rule. At least it seems that way to me.

The PAT return rule is something I've always wondered, though.
    Same here. I have to be honest I thought you could take it back for 2 points.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by juadam09 View Post
    Fair enough. Though I do think he made his point that while the OT rule may be more know by the overall audience there are many rules (like the playoff game ending in a tie question) that many people would think they would know that they did not.
    Yeah, but he insults the players.

"So I devised a little unscientific quiz to see if it's just Duhnovan who's brain-dead about his line of work, or if other players are rules-challenged too. Cover your eyes. It's not pretty."

If it was an article about how stupid NFL rules are, then it's a lot better of an article. Calling them brain-dead, and rules-challenged is completely out of line.

Rick Reilly has a history of lazy columns but this might be a new low. Looks like it took him about 90 minutes to come up with this piece of fluff.

Something I've been wondering since this whole business started (like three weeks ago, why are people still talking about it?): has there ever been a double-overtime game in the NFL playoffs?

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Didn't the Panthers beat the Rams in double OT the year they went to the SB?

Yep, you're right:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200....ap/index.html

Looks like there have been five double-overtime games in the history of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

The 3rd string QB rule is in effect if your 3rd string QB is declared the emergency QB - once he enters it's assumed the 1st string QB is injured too badly to play.

However I don't think he worded it right because I believe a coach can have 3 QB's active - not have the 3rd QB be the emergency QB, just coaches never do because they don't want to waste the roster spot. I'm not 100% on that, I just don't know why a team couldn't if they wanted to.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

For what it's worth, the fair catch kick rule does come up every once in awhile.

(edit-twice this decade, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_catch_kick)

Anytime you are receiving a punt you can of course call for a fair catch.

You have the option of a free kick from the point of the fair catch- no defenders, so a long field goal is actually more likely since a low trajectory is OK. You also don't have to go back 7 or 8 yards from the line of scrimmage- you kick from the line of scrimmage.

In the Arizona-NY Giants game a few weeks ago, the Cardinals tried one and missed the 68-yarder just before halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick View Post
    The 3rd string QB rule is in effect if your 3rd string QB is declared the emergency QB - once he enters it's assumed the 1st string QB is injured too badly to play.

However I don't think he worded it right because I believe a coach can have 3 QB's active - not have the 3rd QB be the emergency QB, just coaches never do because they don't want to waste the roster spot. I'm not 100% on that, I just don't know why a team couldn't if they wanted to.
    This is correct

Quote Originally Posted by pacertom View Post
    For what it's worth, the fair catch kick rule does come up every once in awhile.

(edit-twice this decade, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_catch_kick)

Anytime you are receiving a punt you can of course call for a fair catch.

You have the option of a free kick from the point of the fair catch- no defenders, so a long field goal is actually more likely since a low trajectory is OK. You also don't have to go back 7 or 8 yards from the line of scrimmage- you kick from the line of scrimmage.

In the Arizona-NY Giants game a few weeks ago, the Cardinals tried one and missed the 68-yarder just before halftime.

Correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCBBUMnRqbo

But a fair catch was never called, at least not one that I saw. Still a exciting play. Makes me miss having NFLLP