Thread: Ok, who's suprised that Anthony Johnson used his option.....

Default Ok, who's suprised that Anthony Johnson used his option.....

I know I was?

I can't see the Pacers paying much more for him & I really can't see any other team where he would get a better shot.

Since as of now we have Jamaal Tinsely as our only p.g., should we be shoping for a new backup or just stick with A.J.?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Default Re: Ok, who's suprised that Anthony Johnson used his option.....

I was surprised he opted out as well. Well, obviously we should try to get a better backup if we can.

Let's say hypothetically Brent Barry agreed to sign for cheap. (fat chance) Then sign him instead of AJ. Off the top of my head I can't think of any other back up PG's that are available.

There's Derek Fisher, though I'm not so sure he's a major improvement over AJ.
    WE ARE NOT GETTING ERIC GORDON

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

i'm not. in fact, i predicted that he would (very minor prediction to be sure, but )

he's coming off his best season. he's only giving up a 1-year remaining contract at the minimum. come on, what has he to lose?

plus, i expect he's pretty sure that pacers will give him a new minimum offer if nothing else pans out, or that he can get the minimum elsewhere.

bottomline, he had very little to lose by opting out.

I think this articles explains it well, the part I highlighted, isn't that the reason why he opted out.

Let me think about this a second, if he did not opt out and was picked by the 'Cats could he have opted out then. I don't know, my guess is he did not want to play for a team that might win 18 games next season

http://www.indystar.com/articles/8/156862-9828-179.html

Bobcats likely to pick from Pacers' roster

By Mark Montieth
    mark.montieth@indystar.com
    June 22, 2004

The Indiana Pacers' roster likely will shrink today when Charlotte makes its selections in the NBA expansion draft.

Bobcats coach and general manager Bernie Bickerstaff said Monday he will draft one of the unprotected Pacers, barring a last-minute change of heart.

"As of tonight, we have every intention of selecting a player from Indiana," Bickerstaff said in a conference call on Monday.

League rules prevented Bickerstaff from revealing his selections, which must be sent to the league office by noon today. The expansion draft will be shown live at 6 p.m. on NBA TV.

Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh said he did not know the Bobcats' plans.

Restricted free agent Jamison Brewer is the most logical Pacer to be selected. Restricted free agents become unrestricted free agents if they are selected, meaning they can sign with any team. Offers to restricted free agents can be matched by the player's previous team.

Bickerstaff has stated he wants to draft some restricted free agents to lessen the Bobcats' financial obligations for next season. They are required to select at least 14 players but don't want to carry that many contracts.

"We were pleased with the number of restricted free agents on the (unprotected) list," Bickerstaff said.

Charlotte also acquired the No. 2 selection in Thursday's NBA draft, and could become a player in a deal between Orlando and Houston involving Tracy McGrady.

Orlando reportedly agreed to trade McGrady, Juwan Howard, Tyronn Lue and Andrew DeClercq to Houston for Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley and Kelvin Cato.

Charlotte would have to agree not to select Howard, Mobley or Cato in the expansion draft for the deal to work.

The Bobcats traded the fourth and 33rd picks in the draft to the Los Angeles Clippers for the second pick and center Peja Drobinak. Emeka Okafor and Dwight Howard are projected to be the top selections Thursday. Charlotte hopes to have both players in for workouts. After it decides which player it prefers, the Magic could agree to draft the other.

"We've been in conversation with the Magic," Bickerstaff said. "They're good listeners, and we're good facilitators."

The Pacers tried to get involved in a trade for McGrady. Walsh discussed possibilities with Magic general manager John Weisbrod last week, but Weisbrod had not called Walsh back as of Monday.

Anthony Johnson, the Pacers' backup point guard last season, exercised his option to become a free agent on Monday, therefore removing himself from the candidates for today's expansion draft.

Are the Pacers interested in re-signing Johnson?

"Oh, yeah," Walsh said.

The other Pacers available to the Bobcats are Primoz Brezec, Austin Croshere, James Jones and Scot Pollard.

Brezec and Jones might be attractive because of their low salaries and short-term contracts. Charlotte is not expected to draft high-salaried players such as Croshere or Pollard.

"It's not likely at all," Bickerstaff said.

I thought he would opt out too. I predicted so way back in Jose's expansion draft thread on the Pacer's.

It just makes sense. This way he can resign with the Pacers. If Charlotte picked him and made him a free agent he couldn't resign with the Pacers.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I thought he would opt out too. I predicted so way back in Jose's expansion draft thread on the Pacer's.

It just makes sense. This way he can resign with the Pacers. If Charlotte picked him and made him a free agent he couldn't resign with the Pacers.
    Exactly and I am sure Pacers management had no problem with it , it was the smartest thing for him to do , I also expected this and I am glad he did it.

Sports Logo

%W^@%(*^@(^% I dont want them to take Jamison!!!!!! Man that sucks.

TAKE JAMISON! .....hahaha

And this is good. I am happy and fine with AJ at backup PG. He was very very solid in the playoffs.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Same here.

Now, if they take a restricted FA, making him an unrestricted FA, does that mean he's able to sign with any team, including us?

Damn, I'm gonna miss that hair.

But at least we'll keep JJ. And that Primoz guy for all the loonies that like him.
    Official Member of the Anti-Alliteration Association

Same here.

Now, if they take a restricted FA, making him an unrestricted FA, does that mean he's able to sign with any team, including us?

But at least we'll keep JJ. And that Primoz guy for all the loonies that like him.
    No, he can't sign with us, but anyone else.

They can have Primoz too Too bad they can't take 2....
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Same here.

Random devil smiley indicating agreement and unspecified devious intent:

Same here.

Muwahaha....

And Drink Red Bull to give it wings....

Same here.

Muwahaha....

And Drink Red Bull to give it wings....

Yes, eeevil Red Bull.

JJ > Primoz. Sorry, that hadn't been said in a while.

AJ's opted out?

Hey, this makes the Cleveland idea kick *** though:

Al

for

#10 (Luke Jackson), Kevin Ollie, and Wagner.

DO IT DONNIE

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Exactly and I am sure Pacers management had no problem with it , it was the smartest thing for him to do , I also expected this and I am glad he did it.
    Same here.

AJ opting out was an absolute no-brainer if he wanted to continue playing for the Pacers and also assuming that the Pacers still wanted him.

It was the "team" thing to do. And I think it was done at the last possible moment to catch the Bobcats a little off-guard if they did intend to take him. That way they scramble a little and maybe they don't select another one of our players.

It means we didn't have to protect him in the expansion draft. And it meant that he would be rewarded with some kind of a raise for opting out and allowing us to protect another player. Now, instead of earning $800K or so next season, he'll probably get something like $1.2M.

Absolute no-brainer and to be expected, if you ask me.

I dunno. I really want to see Brewer succeed, and I don't think he's gonna get a chance under Carlisle. He's too TO prone for a guy who doesn't score a lot. Definitely not Carlisle's type of guy. So if he goes to another team that's really thin at PG, maybe he can get some PT, and show that he can play.

What's the fascination with Jamison? Is it the hair?

I don't have any. I wish Charlotte could take both Brewer and Primoz.

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Same here.

AJ opting out was an absolute no-brainer if he wanted to continue playing for the Pacers and also assuming that the Pacers still wanted him.

It was the "team" thing to do. And I think it was done at the last possible moment to catch the Bobcats a little off-guard if they did intend to take him. That way they scramble a little and maybe they don't select another one of our players.

It means we didn't have to protect him in the expansion draft. And it meant that he would be rewarded with some kind of a raise for opting out and allowing us to protect another player. Now, instead of earning $800K or so next season, he'll probably get something like $1.2M.

Absolute no-brainer and to be expected, if you ask me.
    Exactly , I agree with what you said , especially on waiting til the last min part , sounds like a classic Donnie Walsh move to me.

Did anyone notice that Charlotte didn't take any point guards. This leads me to believe that if AJ had not opted out, he would have been selected by the Bobcats instead of Primos Brezec. I think this was a calculated risk on AJ's part on staying a part of the Pacers organization for just that reason. Just a theory.
    Two=the number 2
    Too=means "also"
    To=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (two, too) do not apply.

Their=shows ownership-'it is their house'
    They're=they are
    There=many definitions-also known as the one to use when the other 2 (their, they're) do not apply

Sorry but it bugs me when these are used incorrectly when I read posts on PacersDigest.com.