Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Name the Pacers last buzzer beater

Default Name the Pacers last buzzer beater

I was thinking about last nights game and the thought occurred to be how rare it is for the pacers to win a game on a buzzer beater. I cannot think of the last one and by buzzer beater I mean a FG scored by the Pacers with no time left on the clock (other team doesn't get a chance to answer).

I few come to mind but these have been years ago.

- The Smits happens game from the 1995 playoffs - game 4 at MSA against the Magic
    - Reggie scores at the buzzer against the Suns in Phoenix - I think that was the late 90's. That was a baseline runner.
    - Reggie scores on a turn around three against the Celtics and Reggie jumps up on the scorers table - but that was pre 1994 for sure.

Anyone else think of any other. I know Travis Best hit a late shot against the Sixers in 2001 playoffs first round (Isiah's first season) but I think the Sixers might have had a few ticks left.

There was the jump shot O'Neal hit against the Pistons (that was the one where it took the refs about 10 mioutes to figure it out - but that went into OT. carlisle was still the Pistons coach then.

Can anyone think of any.

Sure there was Reggie's 40 ft three off the glass in game 5 against the Nets in 2002 - but that sent it to OT and pacers still lost.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-03-2008 at 02:22 PM.

Default Re: Name the Pacers last buzzer beater

I can't remember any, Reggie hit so many shots over 18 years but most had ticks left. Smits might be the last.

Didn't Kareem Rush have one last year?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I remember SJax having one at GS after Baron Davis smashed the ball on a critical rebound... just before we traded him

Quote Originally Posted by BKK View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I remember SJax having one at GS after Baron Davis smashed the ball on a critical rebound... just before we traded him
    Yes he hit a shot from the top of the key (was that at the buzzer and did that win the game though - I don't remember.

Was the Kareen Rush's a layup - or was that someone else and I have just a very vague recollection of something like that. Was that the game against the Sixers where Rush got wide open on a backdoor type cut. (I'm getting old)

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I remember JO hitting a gamewinner aginst the Bobcats in 2005, but I'm pretty sure they got another shot at it.

My memory sucks. It was actually Miami, and Miami did get another shot at it. I was at this game and remember Wade pushing SJax down and shooting a three that would have won it if it went in.
    Last edited by travmil; 12-03-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Yes he hit a shot from the top of the key (was that at the buzzer and did that win the game though - I don't remember.

Was the Kareen Rush's a layup - or was that someone else and I have just a very vague recollection of something like that. Was that the game against the Sixers where Rush got wide open on a backdoor type cut. (I'm getting old)
    well in my memory it won the game,

I just remembered Tinsley blowing past Duncan for a lay up vs the Spurs at home 2 seasons ago... maybe this one does not totally qualify for the label "buzzer beater" though

Travis Best in the 2000 playoffs against Milwaukee? Was that technically a buzzer beater?

Quote Originally Posted by rushmore View Post
    Travis Best in the 2000 playoffs against Milwaukee? Was that technically a buzzer beater?
    No the Bucks had another shot (I think)

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Didn't Kareem Rush have one last year?
    I think this is the one I was thinking of I don't remember if it was a buzzer beater. but it was a 3 pointer and it was against the heat who at the time was considered to be contenders and we were all really excited lol.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    I think this is the one I was thinking of I don't remember if it was a buzzer beater. but it was a 3 pointer and it was against the heat who at the time was considered to be contenders and we were all really excited lol.
    Oh, yeah, I remember that game rather well - I think the Heat had another shot at it - I'm 90% sure of it. Peck started a odd thoughts thread on it and the thread was bumped a few weeks ago. here is the thread, - I don't see any indication of a buzzer beater
    http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...ad.php?t=34428

Sports Logo Sports Logo

There was the jump shot O'Neal hit against the Pistons (that was the one where it took the refs about 10 mioutes to figure it out - but that went into OT.
    That was the one I was thinking of but that game didn't go into OT. They counted the bucket and the Pacers won. That was the game the Pistons were upset about and the league finally said it shouldn't have counted. I remember the long threads with Kstat arguing that JO didn't get the shot off before the shot clock hit zero (there was a difference of .03 seconds between the shot and game clocks).

I remember SJax hitting a 3 at the buzzer against GS the season he was traded. That was probably the last buzzer-beating game-winner.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    That was the one I was thinking of but that game didn't go into OT. They counted the bucket and the Pacers won. That was the game the Pistons were upset about and the league finally said it shouldn't have counted. I remember the long threads with Kstat arguing that JO didn't get the shot off before the shot clock hit zero (there was a difference of .03 seconds between the shot and game clocks).

I remember SJax hitting a 3 at the buzzer against GS the season he was traded. That was probably the last buzzer-beating game-winner.
    I was at the Pistons game and didn't think the basket should have counted (because the shot clock expired), and the thrill of the shot was gone after all the "discussion" and replay watching

- Reggie scores on a turn around three against the Celtics and Reggie jumps up on the scorers table - but that was pre 1994 for sure.
    I hate to nitpick, but I think that happened a bit more recently. I had a friend who was at that game and he said that it happened during the Bulls' second championship run, which I believe was the 1996-1997 season.

To quote the title of a book by Sir Charles Barkley, "I May be Wrong, but I Doubt It".

Quote Originally Posted by GrangerThanFiction View Post
    I hate to nitpick, but I think that happened a bit more recently. I had a friend who was at that game and he said that it happened during the Bulls' second championship run, which I believe was the 1996-1997 season.

To quote the title of a book by Sir Charles Barkley, "I May be Wrong, but I Doubt It".
    You are probably correct - the only thing I know for sure is that Jerry Baker and George McGinnis - were doing the TV broadcast - as they both high-fived Reggie when he was on the scorers table - the replay clearly shows.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

- The Smits happens game from the 1995 playoffs - game 4 at MSA against the Magic
    Definitely.

- Reggie scores at the buzzer against the Suns in Phoenix - I think that was the late 90's. That was a baseline runner.
    Yep - he ran off the court after that.

Yes and no. That was either during "the season we do not discuss" or Bird's first season. I belive we had lost two or three games in a row by a single point. Thus the scorer's table celebration which seemed a bit silly considering how terrible the Celtics were at that point.

But not as silly as taking a bow in The United Center when there was still time for Kukoc to make another play.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Rifleman had a few, including a rebound put-back against the Bulls as a rookie on the east basket, and a three-pointer from the old MSA logo near center court (along the south baseline, to the west basket) against Milwaukee.

Yes, these are very rare.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by BKK View Post
    Yeah, that was in November of that year, right around Thanksgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoJ View Post
    Rifleman had a few, including a rebound put-back against the Bulls as a rookie on the east basket, and a three-pointer from the old MSA logo near center court (along the south baseline, to the west basket) against Milwaukee.

Yes, these are very rare.
    Yeah, that Milwaukee one was like in his eight game.

I also remember Clark Kellogg hitting one against the Celtics at MSA.

Dream Big

Stephen Jackson against Golden State...
    I remember Reggie's game winner against Phoenix.. I like how he waved bye to their bench and ran away.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There was a game in Chicago a few years ago where SJax passed to Anthony Johnson and AJ hit the layup at the buzzer.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    Yeah, that was in November of that year, right around Thanksgiving.
    Right after because this is the first season in a long, long, long time that the pacers didn't have a west coast trip starting right after playing the Friday night at home day after Thanksgiving

Did Sarunas have one against Miami early in his first season?

Quote Originally Posted by skyfire View Post
    Did Sarunas have one against Miami early in his first season?
    Yes, he had a game winner, but whether it was a buzzer beater or not, I can't recall.

Stephen's 3 point shot at the buzzer was with 1 second left.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpdPZXgQNaY

Ironically against the Warriors

Dream Big

Wow I thought SJax's shot was a buzzer beater, guess not.