Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 47 of 47

Thread: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

  1. #26
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    then where's the indianapolis indians message board? they draw more than the fever, and i'd say are more of a professional team than the fever.
    No one expects us to accomodate a minor league baseball team with a discussion board.

    This Fever board does have a decent following when they are "in season". I don't think the same would apply for an Indians forum here on PD. As far as the draw...what does that have to do with this board?
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 01-08-2009 at 03:08 AM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  2. #27

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    meaning there is more support in this area for the indians than there is for the fever. i can understand there being a fever message board with this being predominantly a basketball website, but there is a colts board. i assume there's a colts board due to the amount of support in this area for the colts. so why shouldn't we have a baseball/indians message board as well? i think it'd be a good idea. shoot, the indians actually almost averaged the same attendance last year as the pacers did.

  3. #28
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    meaning there is more support in this area for the indians than there is for the fever. i can understand there being a fever message board with this being predominantly a basketball website, but there is a colts board. i assume there's a colts board due to the amount of support in this area for the colts. so why shouldn't we have a baseball/indians message board as well? i think it'd be a good idea. shoot, the indians actually almost averaged the same attendance last year as the pacers did.

    As for your point about the Indians outdrawing the Fever being a reason for them to have "superiority" in coverage. The Indianapolis Star disagrees with you. The Star doesn't feel the Indians are worth covering, let alone employ a beat writer to even follow the team. They are covered in a similar fashion as the Indiana Ice Hockey team. They occasionally have stories on the July 4th game because of the turnout. They'll also cover a few games during the season, but they are not covered on a daily basis like the Fever. Another reason that there isn't much interest in the Indians as far as coverage goes... They're a minor league team. Hate the Fever or not, whether they draw flies or not.... The WNBA is considered "major league" in the US and will be covered as such in this market. Other then the huge following, the Colts are "major" league and have enough folks that wanted their own board... Therefore, that would probably be the reason the Colts board exist on PD.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 01-08-2009 at 03:03 AM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  4. #29

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    minor league team? lol i could find a team at the local ymca that would defeat the fever.

    believe it or not but two of the top prospects in all of baseball play for our indians in steven pearce and andrew mccutchen. mccutchen is actually thought of as a top 5-10 prospect in baseball and labeled as a young carl crawford/barry bonds type player.

    but speaking about women's basketball, did you know that no college sport loses more money for their schools (on average) than women's college basketball? there's a reason for that. because in women's college basketball, when the teams are able to defeat the men's practice squads they compete against, they label that as the highlight of their season.
    Last edited by croz24; 01-08-2009 at 03:09 AM.

  5. #30
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    minor league team? lol i could find a team at the local ymca that would defeat the fever.

    believe it or not but two of the top prospects in all of baseball play for our indians in steven pearce and andrew mccutchen. mccutchen is actually thought of as a top 5-10 prospect in baseball and labeled as a young carl crawford/barry bonds type player.

    but speaking about women's basketball, did you know that no college sport loses more money for their schools (on average) than women's college basketball? there's a reason for that. because in women's college basketball, when the teams are able to defeat the men's practice squads they compete against, they label that as the highlight of their season.
    Judging from your comments and tone, it's pretty evident to me that you don't like women's basketball. That's fine. If your point is wanting to bring awareness about the Indians baseball club, I think you are in the wrong place. You are better off stating this in the Club Rio section of PD.

    As for you backhanded jabs at women's basketball in general... There is no need for you to be in this forum. Find somewhere else to troll!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  6. #31

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    believe it or not, i actually know quite a bit about the fever, i do follow them, and am very frustrated that they can never seem to get over the hump in the playoffs. i just found it odd that we have a message board dedicated to them on here, as well as the colts, but no other sports teams or general sports discussion.

    as for the comets, it doesn't surprise me that wnba franchises continue to fold, but it is sad for the sport of women's basketball that a team with such tradition and relevance is now gone. sheryl swoopes (personal life aside) and cynthia cooper were two of my favorite wnba players. was not a big fan of tina thompson however. as for the wnba in whole, nothing was more entertaining than watching cheryl miller on the sidelines of phoenix mercury games.
    Last edited by croz24; 01-08-2009 at 05:49 AM.

  7. #32
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,298

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    meaning there is more support in this area for the indians than there is for the fever. i can understand there being a fever message board with this being predominantly a basketball website, but there is a colts board. i assume there's a colts board due to the amount of support in this area for the colts. so why shouldn't we have a baseball/indians message board as well? i think it'd be a good idea. shoot, the indians actually almost averaged the same attendance last year as the pacers did.
    There is more support for IU basketball than the Indians or Fever, but there's no message board for it, due to it being college rather than pro. And before now, I don't think I've ever seen anyone on PD attempt to discuss the Indians.

    I fully back Gnome on this. That "when do they all fold?" comment reeked of trolling.

  8. #33

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There is more support for IU basketball than the Indians or Fever, but there's no message board for it, due to it being college rather than pro. And before now, I don't think I've ever seen anyone on PD attempt to discuss the Indians.

    I fully back Gnome on this. That "when do they all fold?" comment reeked of trolling.
    there are plenty of place to talk iu hoops an you know this. i've been a member of peegs since 03/04. honestly though, are you surprised wnba teams are folding? it's just a fact that most wnba teams do not make money. not sure why it's a crime to acknowledge that. the fever themselves need to find a way to attract more fans because 6,000 fans/night just won't cut it, and they will suffer the same fate as the comets imo. conseco fieldhouse is generally empty for fever games. that needs to change.

  9. #34
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,298

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    there are plenty of place to talk iu hoops an you know this. i've been a member of peegs since 03/04. honestly though, are you surprised wnba teams are folding? it's just a fact that most wnba teams do not make money. not sure why it's a crime to acknowledge that. the fever themselves need to find a way to attract more fans because 6,000 fans/night just won't cut it, and they will suffer the same fate as the comets imo. conseco fieldhouse is generally empty for fever games. that needs to change.
    IU basketball has a single thread devoted to it here. When did we start talking about other sites?

    I really don't see what you're getting at here. Why do you give a damn whether this board exists or not? It's not your site, and it's not your bandwidth. Coming in here simply to blast Fever fans for, well, liking the Fever, is trolling. It really makes you no better than the Pats fans who run amok at RATS.

    Women's basketball will probably never be as popular as men's basketball. That's just the way it is; more men are interested in sports than women, and it's harder for men to live out their sports dreams vicariously through members of the opposite sex.

    I think the main surprise is not that a WNBA team folded, but that one of Houston's calber called it quits.

  10. #35

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    what i'm getting at is the topic of this thread...discussing the reality of the wnba and if franchise like houston can go down, then no team is safe. i'm not sure what you're getting at by calling me out for discussing the point of the thread...

  11. #36
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,298

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    what i'm getting at is the topic of this thread...discussing the reality of the wnba and if franchise like houston can go down, then no team is safe. i'm not sure what you're getting at by calling me out for discussing the point of the thread...
    Last I checked, this:

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    why is there an indiana fever message board?
    was not the topic of the thread.

  12. #37

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Last I checked, this:



    was not the topic of the thread.
    only other place i've seen a fever message board was on indystar. i was curious as to why we had one here as well as a colts board, but fail to have a board on other professional/college teams locally. where else should i ask such a question?

  13. #38
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    Bye croz24. If you want to continue this conversation on why there isn't a _______ board on PD, you need to start it in the Club Rio forum, not here!
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 01-08-2009 at 06:14 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  14. #39
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,298

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    only other place i've seen a fever message board was on indystar. i was curious as to why we had one here as well as a colts board, but fail to have a board on other professional/college teams locally. where else should i ask such a question?
    That has nothing to do with the topic at hand. In fact, that's what the feedback forum is for.

    Anyway, Gnome adequately answered your question, methinks. The pro sports teams have forums; minor league and college teams do not. One reason being that there are too many minor league/college teams in Indiana for them each to have their own forum (Indians, Mad Ants, Ice, Hoosiers, Boilermakers, Fighting Irish, Cardinals, Sycamores, Jaguars, etc.).

    If the Fever fold, so will their forum.

  15. #40
    Boom Baby'er ABADays's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    The Coliseum
    Posts
    6,248

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    You find it odd that a women's pro basketball team in included on a pro basketball message board? That's odd.

    I have followed the Indians as lond as I have been alive. One thing to keep in mind, the players are not ours and, with a few exceptions, they never will be.

  16. #41
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    Sooo...that is a shame that Houston is folding...

  17. #42
    Go Colts! Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Age
    36
    Posts
    44,298

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    Quote Originally Posted by ABADays View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You find it odd that a women's pro basketball team in included on a pro basketball message board? That's odd.

    I have followed the Indians as lond as I have been alive. One thing to keep in mind, the players are not ours and, with a few exceptions, they never will be.
    Razor Shines was the man.

  18. #43
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    I wonder how the economy is going to effect the league as a whole? It can't be good or healthy considering now is the time they are looking to finish up sales for STH's.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  19. #44
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder how the economy is going to effect the league as a whole? It can't be good or healthy considering now is the time they are looking to finish up sales for STH's.
    I was actually contemplating getting a package for the Fever this summer.

    I hope that helps.

  20. #45
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    I have enough "unused" Pacer tickets from my wife not going to games to be able to go to most, if not all the Fever games this year. I just hope they run that promotion again this year.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  21. #46
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    I may use my unused tickets for that if I'm bored and feeling curious. I was surprised at just how uninterested I was that time we both went to a game last summer.

  22. #47
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

    Yeah, having Dunn as a coach really makes me wonder if this team will be any better this year.

    We have some good parts.

Similar Threads

  1. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 7
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 01:46 AM
  2. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 2
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-24-2008, 09:42 PM
  3. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 10:23 AM
  4. The PD NBA Draft
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-21-2008, 04:55 PM
  5. Top Draft Prospects
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-18-2008, 11:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •