Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

http://www.wnba.com/news/comets_081202.html
    HOUSTON AND NEW YORK, Dec. 2, 2008 – The Houston Comets will suspend operations for the 2009 season it was announced today by WNBA President Donna Orender. A WNBA Dispersal Draft involving Comets players will take place on Monday, Dec. 8.

“Multiple investors have come forward and expressed significant interest in purchasing the Comets and having them continue to play in Houston in 2009,” said Orender. “However, we made the judgment that we would not be able to complete a transaction with the right ownership group in time for the 2009 season. The WNBA is extremely grateful to the Comets organization, to the city of Houston and to the team’s loyal fans for helping build both the WNBA and the game of women’s basketball.”

Having concluded its 12th season in 2008 with increases in attendance, ratings, Web traffic, sponsorships and merchandise sales, the WNBA will play the 2009 season with 13 teams. The 2009 season also marks the first year of the WNBA’s new, eight-year television agreement with ESPN under which the league will receive a rights fee, a first for a women’s professional team sports league in the U.S.

Comets season ticket holders will be notified in the near future of a procedure for refunds.

Current Comets players, with the exception of unrestricted free agents Latasha Byears, Mwadi Mabika, Hamchetou Maiga-Ba, Michelle Snow and Tina Thompson, are eligible to be selected in the Dispersal Draft. The order of selection, based on the inverse order of 2008 regular season finish will be as follows:

1) Atlanta
    2) Washington
    3) Chicago
    4) Minnesota
    5) Phoenix
    6) Indiana
    7) Sacramento
    8) New York
    9) Los Angeles
    10) Connecticut
    11) Detroit
    12) Seattle
    13) San Antonio
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 12-03-2008 at 07:32 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

woman without a team

Default Re: Comets to disband -- Fever to select 6th in dispersal draft

I was going to say maybe we could draft their coach, but I've never heard of her.

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was going to say maybe we could draft their coach, but I've never heard of her.
    Still probably a better coach then Dunn. Judging from last year... it doesn't take much to be a better coach.

Grace, submit your resume. I'll even give you a whistle to start with.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

woman without a team

I don't want to be coach. I want to be GM. Then I'd give Carolyn Peck Larry Bird's salary to get her to come be the coach.

Huh, didn't see that one coming.

Who is Houston's sixth best player, and would she be worth picking up? Hell, can she coach at all?

woman without a team

Anyone of that team that's worth a damn is too damn old. If Tina Thomspson is anything like Cynthia Cooper she would absolutely HATE coaching.

When do the rest of them fold?

I did NOT see this coming. One of the WNBA's most successful teams is packing up and calling it quits. DANG!!!

There's a lot of history with this team:

- 4 WNBA championships
    - 3 of the best female basketball players to ever lace them up, Cynthia Cooper, Sheryl Swoopes and Tina Thompson

I'd say this WNBA team more than any other team to date is who put the WNBA on the map. Of course, the rivalries between them, the LA Sparks and the NY Liberty, coupled with the rise and toughness of the Detroit Shock have all had a big hand it the league's success, but none like the Comets. It's a shame to see them go. While I'm not the biggest WNBA fan around (my wife laughes and teases me claiming I watch the games for "other" reasons - can't a guy like women's basketball just as he does the men's), I think local Fever fans should consider yourselves lucky you still have the team there.

Big surprise...can't believe the Comets are folding.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    I did NOT see this coming. One of the WNBA's most successful teams is packing up and calling it quits. DANG!!!

There's a lot of history with this team:

- 4 WNBA championships
    - 3 of the best female basketball players to ever lace them up, Cynthia Cooper, Sheryl Swoopes and Tina Thompson

I'd say this WNBA team more than any other team to date is who put the WNBA on the map. Of course, the rivalries between them, the LA Sparks and the NY Liberty, coupled with the rise and toughness of the Detroit Shock have all had a big hand it the league's success, but none like the Comets. It's a shame to see them go. While I'm not the biggest WNBA fan around (my wife laughes and teases me claiming I watch the games for "other" reasons - can't a guy like women's basketball just as he does the men's), I think local Fever fans should consider yourselves lucky you still have the team there.

Big surprise...can't believe the Comets are folding.
    My thoughts exactly.

BTW, we picked up Guard Erika White.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    My thoughts exactly.

BTW, we picked up Guard Erika White.
    That's good! If Tuli stays, Erika will be a very good backup. That's something I thought was lacking w/this Fever last year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Erika white sounds familiar.. So she must have some skill, because I don't really follow girls NCAA ball.. I know she played at LSU, a dominant girls team.. So that's a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    When do the rest of them fold?
    Do this again and your not going to like how I respond to this. Do not insult those that are fans of this team or league. If you don't have anything constructive to say here...your better off not saying anything in this forum.

You've all been warned!!!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Do this again and your not going to like how I respond to this. Do not insult those that are fans of this team or league. If you don't have anything constructive to say here...your better off not saying anything in this forum.
    I thought the question was legit. If a successful team in a big city closes its doors (not moves, but closes the doors), then how viable is the league as a whole? Are they making money yet? They're sure not expanding... what's the story?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I thought the question was legit. If a successful team in a big city closes its doors (not moves, but closes the doors), then how viable is the league as a whole? Are they making money yet? They're sure not expanding... what's the story?
    They've added a new team each of the last two years. I'm not saying it was smart, but they did it. Are they making money? Probably not, but then neither are the Pacers.

As for Gnome's warning I happen to agree with him. It struck me as trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    In the right context....Sure, it's a legit question. A very good one!

In the case of, "when do they all fold?".... I made a judgment that Raoul Duke was trolling the thread. These sarcastic jabs at the WNBA are not appreciated on this part of Pacers Digest. I will not tolerate them here.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hate seeing this. The WNBA started the same year I joined the AF in '97 and I remember watching the Comets win the championship when I was in tech school. Kind of one of those things that has been with me through these years.

Anyways, I hate seeing teams fold/move (unless it's a move to Indy ). I hated watching the Sonics move and I couldn't imagine any team in the NBA folding. I know it's all about money but it still sucks.

This is the first I'm hearing about this... that is sad to hear.
    12/27/2005 at Spurs - SamBear - 3

1/2/2008 vs Memphis - SamBear - 19

4/9/2014 - Luis Scola also recorded a season high with 24 points and Evan Turner added 23 for Indiana.

In the case of, "when do they all fold?".... I made a judgment that Raoul Duke was trolling the thread. These sarcastic jabs at the WNBA are not appreciated on this part of Pacers Digest. I will not tolerate them here.
    Hasn't Stern been keeping the WNBA on life support for a while now? Maybe I'm mistaken but my impression has been without Stern's influence this league would have been dead long before now.

That and with the economy being what it is.......heck the Arena Football League might be dead.......at the very least not operating for the coming season. Just doesn't seem like a good time for any of the niche leagues right now.

When the WNBA first started, it was owned and operated by the NBA and the parent teams of the franchises. In 2002 Rich Uncle David Stern cut the funding to the league. With this being done, many teams that were owned by parent NBA clubs sold off their WNBA franchises to local independent ownership. The ownership structure of the league changed from that point. The NBA has been offering help in on-site support, ticket sales, sponsorship sales, and marketing, but not in areas of cold hard cash.

Yes, Sterns influence has probably done a lot to keep the league afloat by getting the right people investing in the concept of the WNBA. He's given the WNBA enough legitimacy to continue to breathe life into the league, but I don't think it goes as deep as keeping the books in the black.

As for the economy and "niche" leagues, you're probably right, the business climate could down right freeze this league to it's very core. As for the Fever, I believe PS&E does value the ability to cross-promote the fever and uses it as a way to attach itself to the community. I don't see anyone owning the team locally other then PS&E. With the limited number of quality venues in the area, I don't see another ownership group wanting to pay the lease that PS&E would demand. Most WNBA teams are moving into smaller venues in a move to cut operating cost, I just don't see that place here in Indy where an independent owner would feel like he can make money with the Fever. The IUPUI Gymnasium is too small, Butler or The Pepsi Coliseum at the fairgrounds is not a prime venue due to location, and high school venues lose any legitimacy in the product being major league.
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 12-28-2008 at 03:34 AM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

woman without a team

Seems to me before last season the Simons were strongly hinting that if attendance wasn't better they were getting out of the WNBA. I'm assuming we haven't heard any more about it because Houston disbanded. However, if things aren't better this year (I don't expect they will be) it wouldn't surprise me a bit if they try to unload the team.

Well you judged wrong buddy. God you guys are so sensitive on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Well you judged wrong buddy. God you guys are so sensitive on here.
    Could of fooled me? It's not like you stuck around to have a discussion. As for the sensitive part. Damn strait, we have to be to keep the site respectable!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

why is there an indiana fever message board?

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    why is there an indiana fever message board?
    To have a place to discuss the Fever. Do you have a problem with that?
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

To have a place to discuss the Fever. Do you have a problem with that?
    then where's the indianapolis indians message board? they draw more than the fever, and i'd say are more of a professional team than the fever.