Thread: Charlie Weis to remain coach at Notre Dame next year

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Charlie Weis to remain coach at Notre Dame next year

I'm a big Irish fan (it runs in the family) but I'm really torn on whether or not this is the right move. I don't know if the Irish will ever get their mojo back.

I actually was listening to a radio program and they made an interesting point of something Notre Dame could do to make their teams competitive again. ND is no longer the only team on TV, the admissions standards are difficult, it's a religious school, they are not in a conference, and no one wants to live in South Bend. So they obviously are always going to be a bit hampered with bringing guys in.

So what Notre Dame needs to either do is join a freaking conference, or completely change their style from a grind it out kind of a team to a gimmicky, fast, prolific offense type team (NCAAF's version of the Colts) that will attract athletic recruits. It's worked for Boise State and West Virginia. It could work for a team like Notre Dame and at least make them interesting again.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3741387

Mood

Default Re: Charlie Weis to remain coach at Notre Dame next year

I am right there with you on being torn about this. I sometimes think there needs to be a change, but then I am in the thought that the team is very young at all of the skilled positions and we should give him one or two more years to see how he does when his recruits are upper classmen. They have talent, but it is too young to compete with the USC's and Boston Colleges where most players are fourth and fifth year seniors.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They need to do what PSU did about 5 years ago. College football isnt what it used to be, and ND needs to change. PSU brought in the spread offense, recruited great athletes and it returned the program to what it is supposed to be. ND can do it, but are they too "good" to do it that way?

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Am I wrong or was that what Tyrone and Charlie attempted? Tyrone brought the West Coast from Standford (remember the Holiday flop) and Charlie brought a three WR package.

the admissions standards are difficult, it's a religious school, they are not in a conference, and no one wants to live in South Bend.
    Someone has been listening to Cowherd.

There is no quick fix. I say let Charlie stay until jimmy is gone, then assess and move on. Kids will always rather play for USC and Florida than Notre Dame. There are less and less Catholics and more and more kids who would rather be around girls with less clothing and sunny beaches (which go hand in hand. We will never see Notre Dame back to its glory.

Back then the smart athletes went to Notre Dame or......Who?

Now the smart athletes have great choices. Also, the smart athelete has not increased like the "dumb" athlete". Thus more "dumb atheletes" means more schools with better football players. And that trend will only tip in favor of the USCs, Floridas, and Ohio States of the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Back then the smart athletes went to Notre Dame or......Who?

Now the smart athletes have great choices. Also, the smart athelete has not increased like the "dumb" athlete". Thus more "dumb atheletes" means more schools with better football players. And that trend will only tip in favor of the USCs, Floridas, and Ohio States of the NCAA.
    Completely agree. The emphasis on sports and it being the golden ticket is making school work for athletes less and less important even in college, and especially so in high school.

Going opposite of tradition hurts, but ND has one of two choices to make. Lower academic standards, or become content with seasons like they've been having. Losing is a program killer in more ways than one.

Also, I just don't see Weis has having the personality to be a big time recruiter, and in college ball that's 70+% of the battle.

This was what I said after the USC game

I am a little tired of hearing all this talk of firing Weis. Would I lose any sleep if he is fired? NO! But who else is out there? Unless they bring back Lou Holtz I don't think anyone is going to be able to turn this program around. Even then I am not sure he can pull off a miracle of that stature.

Last season I had family that went to a Notre Dame game and they said it looked like the O-line had a beef with Jimmy Clausen, and that they were not blocking for him. They brought up the same thing last week and I kind of saw it.

Whether that is 100% true I do not know, but I do know Jimmy Clausen is NOT our quarterback for the future. The offense can not click with him running it. Last week the defense played amazingly and did everything they were supposed to do and the offense could not do a GD **BLEEP** thing. It was just sad to watch.

Notre Dame is down 14-ZIP and for the first time in my life I walked away from a Notre Dame game. Granted I have a early flight back to Jax tommorrow, but this game is just plain disguisting. I simply can not watch this **** any more.

I do not know what the answer is, I do not know how they go about fixing it, but this **** is pathetic.
    I actually am torn as well, but if this program finishes at .500 or less next season then I want both Weis and Clausen gone. This team was a few plays away from having a 7 or 8 win season. THe offense flat choked. I hope we dont see a repeat of this next season.

Either way I really think next season is a make or break year for Weis (and I hope Clausen as well)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Dude has a 10-year contract. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. That's way too much green for ND to leave on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dude has a 10-year contract. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. That's way too much green for ND to leave on the table.
    Yet if you read the articles from last week it was reported his buyout would be at about 5.5M. Maybe it is just me but that is a lot less then I expected to hear