Thread: The Downside of being on Top

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The Downside of being on Top

Thats about the best I can do right now.......

Im sure the other forum members will appreciate the fact you seem to think this will be this current team's ONLY championship.....

"bittersweet?" No, bittersweet was watching the pistons fail time and time again, and by the time they DID get to the top, the team lasted all of 2 more years before it was too old and injured to go any further, and a mere 4 years after winning their 2nd title they were arguably the WORST team in the NBA. No, this was most definately NOT bittersweet.....

-the Pistons DVD comes out in 2 weeks. Thats something worth waiting for.

-the memories of the parade and rally at the Palace will last me forever.

-The News and Free Press each have produced their own commemorative books on the 2004 Pistons, and I just got done readinf my SI 2004 Pistons tribute book, which includes color photos dating back to the Ft. Fayne days.

Can someone introduce this guy to IndyToad? I'm sure they could depress the hell out of each other....

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

Let me elaborate some. I LOVE that we're the champs

I think there's something about our Bad Boy era championships that taught us that immense struggle is necessary in order to obtain the gold. And while the Piston franchise has suffered to the point of death for many years, this team is new. Obviously only Hunter and Joe remember the dark days (Ben and Corliss's memory I would argue is different from there's). But this team waited only a few years to get it, never taking a step backwards in the process.

Maybe I'm just trying to say that it's harder to comprehend this since it didn't happen the way those previous titles did. Call it the Bad Boyitization of some Detroit basketball fans. Like Mel Gibson, we desire torture.
    If you desire torture, become a fan. Or better yet, the acers:

Let me tell you something about the struggle: it SUCKED. I felt NO joy when Bernard King buried us in '84, or when Bird stole the ball in '87. and I CERTAINLY didnt feel good about losing two 3-point games to the Lakers in games 6 and 7 in 1988.

As for this current team, getting humiliated by the C's and Nets the last 2 years was quite enough for me, thankyouverymuch.

Now, does that make the 1989 championship the most fufilling? Sure. But do I think it was worth the EIGHT YEARS worth of struggling it took to get there? um, no. The bad boys were barely able to sneak a couple titles in before father time caught up with them. Vinnie, Zeke, Aguirre and Edwards were all already WELL past their primes when we finally won it all.

I MUCH rather prefer this pistons team of kids that I KNOW will still be there in 5-6 years. The Bad Boys reign was terribly abrupt.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

You just don't get it, Kstat. There's something immensely satisfying and sublime about wanting, but never having. : ed:

You just don't get it, Kstat. There's something immensely satisfying and sublime about wanting, but never having. : ed:
    The feeling of being champion is a lot more satisfying ed:

But hey, if thats how you feel, I'm sure the Pistons will be MORE than happy to give you that immensely satisfying and sublime feeling for years to come....

-game 7 vs NY in 1994

-game 7 vs Orlando in 1995

-game 5 vs Atlanta in 1996

-game 7 vs Chicago in 1998

-Larry Johnson in 1999

-game 4 vs LA in 2000

-game 5 vs NJ in 2002

-game 6 vs Detroit in 2004

Yes, Im sure you ALL look back fondly on these memories.....

debohstheman

jesus christ guys
    what the hell are you talking about?

Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Mood

jesus christ guys
    what the hell are you talking about?
    The Pistons , I thought I was lost on the wrong forum at first

I don't get this.

I can live on a championship for a LONG time.

The Mets last won in '86. I was an adult and, thanks to Bill Buckner, could fully revel in it. I want them to win another but I'm good.

The Islanders last title was early 80's. Same deal.

Even Syracuse won a NCAA title two years ago.

I'm not desperate for any of them to win - I sure want them to, but I'm not desperate.

The Knicks haven't won a title since I was a kid. With them it's a low grade fever. The thought of never seeing them win one before I die (and no, I don't have anything terminal going on) seems very real.

I can live on one title for a long, long time and the memory never totally fades.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire