Thread: One on One with Danny Granger (BDL Interview)

Sports Logo

Default One on One with Danny Granger (BDL Interview)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...urn=nba,125727

One-on-One: Danny Granger talks superheroes, pudding, movies

By Nick Friedell

When I asked Danny Granger if he could ever remember starting off a season so well, his answer was simple, "No."

The Pacers' rising star is averaging 24 points and almost six rebounds a game. It doesn't seem to matter too much to him right now, though. "I know I've put up a lot of points," he told me after Saturday's loss in Orlando. "But, we're 6-10 as a team."

The Louisiana native might be frustrated with the way his team is playing, but he couldn't be doing much more to help. He is in the middle of a break out season that should elevate him into NBA stardom. As you'll see, he's also one of the most interesting players in the League.

Ball Don't Lie: You're big into superheroes. I read that you actually want to build a hidden cave in your house like Batman.

Danny Grager: Yeah ... (Laughs) I'm building a house in New Mexico and actually the builder called me and told me he found a nice little feature, a lift for my car, kind of like Batman had. It's in the works, it's a process. [The Superhero stuff] is just a big thing I've been a part of. I love Superman, love Batman. It's just the way I've been always.

BDL: You're a movie buff too, you have over 2,000 movies.

Granger: More now.

BDL: More than 2,000?

Granger: I've got more than that.

BDL: And Armageddon is really your second favorite movie of all time?

Granger: Yeah, I love Armageddon. And Gladiator, I love Gladiator. Armageddon, [is] a great movie. I don't know if anybody saw it, it came out in ['98]. [I] loved that movie, just an all around great movie.

BDL: Speaking of great stuff, you've said your uncle makes some unbelievable banana pudding, are you going to try and sell it in Indiana some time?

Granger: You know what, I probably could. I really, probably could. It's that good.

BDL: What sets it apart?

Granger: You mean what's in it?

BDL: Yeah, what makes it any different than any other banana pudding?

Granger: I can't tell you that. (Smiles) The ingredients that he puts in it are amazing. I remember one time I got sick 'cause I ate so much, I ate a whole pan. I couldn't even walk, 'cause I had a sugar stomach-ache ... we might start selling it.

BDL: You come from a musically-talented family. [His younger brother Scotty appeared on a reality show on ABC called: The One: Making a Music Star, and he is great-nephew of Mahalia Jackson, the "Queen of Soul."] Can you sing?

Granger: Of course. Singing is like what I do in my past-time. Some people don't like to hear [singing], some people like to hear it. It just depends on who you're listening to. (Smiles) You've just got to catch me on a good day. On a bad day I really can't sing, but on a good day, I can sing. Just catch me on a good day.

BDL: Good enough for a record deal?

Granger: Noooo ... (Laughs) If I'm on my own label, yeah. If I start my own label, then yeah I'll sign myself.

BDL: Have you played with anybody who could sing?

Granger: Played with anybody who can sing? Nah.

BDL: Nobody?

Granger: I did have a teammate in college, his name was Alfred Neale. He was big into Gospel, could play the piano, could sing really well. He played in the D-League for a couple of years, but yeah, that's the only person I've played with that could sing.

BDL: Speaking of music, I heard that you're really into Rock Band. What's the name of your band?

Granger: Uh, (Laughs) I've got a few, I can't tell you two of them.

BDL: All right, what are the PG rated ones?

Granger: The PG rated ones are ... New Orleans Assassins, something like that just because I'm from New Orleans, and the other two I can't say.

BDL: I read that your nickname is Danny G. Nobody could come up with something more creative than that?

Granger: You know what, I was a junior [Danny's dad is Danny Granger, Sr.]. When I was young, one of the ladies [from our neighborhood] called me Danny G, [like] my daddy. It caught on everywhere. When I'm home, everybody calls me Danny G.

BDL: So there's nothing like The Lone Granger, or something like that. I'm sure you've heard that one.

Granger: I've heard it. I've seen signs in the stands ... The Lone Granger.

BDL: Do you think some of the success you've had this season can be attributed to the well-wishes you've gotten from the people of Indonesia?

Granger: Oh, definitely. That was a great trip. I didn't know it would be that big if an NBA player went over there ... I had a few bodyguards with me at all times, I was on billboards it was crazy.

BDL: You had your own newspaper edition.

Granger: (Smiles) I had my own newspaper [edition] for like three days. It was pretty big.

BDL: Switching gears, you were a civil engineering major in college [he plans to finish up his degree in the near future], is there anything you picked up from the experience, that has helped you in the League?

Granger: How to manage my money. You do a lot of math when you take engineering courses. I've always been good with math ... it's such a technical field, physics, and geology of it, and mathematics.

BDL: I read that you actually hooked up the music system in your house.

Granger: I did a lot more than that.

BDL: Is there any other NBA player who could do that?

Granger: What I did, I don't think so. My dad was an electrician, he worked good with circuits, circuit boards and stuff like that ... so I picked up on all that. I ran the wires through my house, had the circuits going, had to fix the circuit breaker when it broke. I did what would have probably cost me $30,000 dollars to get done.

BDL: So you know you're in a minority when it comes to knowing about the technical side of stuff, compared to the rest of the guys in the NBA.

Granger: I definitely know that for a fact.

BDL: Coming full circle, if you had any superpowers, what would they be?

Granger: Fly.

BDL: You're in the NBA, some people might say you're close to flying already.

Granger: HAHAHA! I would [still] have to say fly, or speed, one of the two, along with [being] indestructible, and x-ray vision.

BDL: Is there a name to this superhero you're trying to create here?

Granger: Yeah, GRANGERMAN. I'd be GRANGERMAN. I have dreams about [being a superhero]. I have dreams [where] I'll be flying sometimes, it's kind of weird.

BDL: OK, so let's wrap this up. What's GRANGERMAN driving into his cave when his work that night is done?

Granger: Black Lamborghini, all black, kind of like the BatMobile.

BDL: The GrangerMobile.
    Gotta love our Grangerman.
    Last edited by Kuq_e_Zi91; 12-02-2008 at 03:07 AM. Reason: provided link

Default Re: One on One with Danny Granger (BDL Interview)

BDL: So there's nothing like The Lone Granger, or something like that. I'm sure you've heard that one.

Man, I should have copyrighted that.

Granger: Yeah, I love Armageddon. Armageddon, [is] a great movie. I don't know if anybody saw it, it came out in ['98].
    Wow, way back then huh?

I feel old.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Yeah, is he talking about a different Armageddon or something? That movie was huge, everybody saw it.

I wonder if he ever plays Rock Band online...hmm...

Grangerman. That calls for some photoshopping.

I think im falling for danny
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

International Counter bellisimo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    sounds more like gingerbreadman....

I've lost all respect for DG - Armageddon - really, Danny are you sure???

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I've lost all respect for DG - Armageddon - really, Danny are you sure???
    Totally agree, Deep Impact was so much better...

That being said, DG always seems like a grounded, normal guy in every interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I don't think anything can top this one.
    Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Grangerman makes me think of Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post

Man, I should have copyrighted that.
    I can't believe you gave up animation rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Theodore View Post
    I think im falling for danny
    I could stay awake just to hear him breathing.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs