Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Let's Discuss Roy Hibbert!

Banned

Lightbulb Let's Discuss Roy Hibbert!

Now that we're a month into the season, what's everyone's thoughts on Big Roy?

I think most will be disappointed, but I think he shows promise. He's one of the best passing centers I can recall entering the league in a while and I also love the fact that he's the major shot blocking force we lack without J.O. Despite his poor FG%, I think he's shown some good offensive moves as well, he just needs to fine tune them a little and become more patient.

My two biggest complaints, by far, would be his foul issues and his horrible rebounding. I think the former can be worked out in time but I'm not so sure about the later.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Let's Discuss Roy Hibbert!

Hibbert's first month numbers are better than DG's, and they had similar positions in the rotation at their respective position. Hibbert's numbers aren't too bad when you see that he's playing behind Murphy, Foster, and Nesto.

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My two biggest complaints, by far, would be his foul issues and his horrible rebounding. I think the former can be worked out in time but I'm not so sure about the later.
    Hibbert can still be a good center in this league, but you're at least 2 years from finding out if that's the case. I think he's good as a big body to throw up against the Howards and Bynums of the world, but right now he's pretty useless against teams that play smaller lineups. Until/unless he can learn to punish smaller players consistently in the post, that's going to be the case.

Foul issues are typical for young big guys. No big deal.

Rebounding is another issue. He was never a really good rebounder in college. I also remember an interview with Don Nelson from back around 2000 or 2001 and they asked Nellie about Dirk. Nellie said Dirk's rebounding was what impressed him the most because he had improved quite a lot in this area and that rebounding was the one area of the game where most players never improved much on.

Most important thing for Hibbert is to keep on improving his conditioning. He never averaged over 27 minutes/game in college. If he wants to be a 30-35 min/game starter in the NBA, he's going to have to continue improving in this aspect.

Mood

I have to say I am not dissappointed at all with Roy's progress. Yes he has fouled a lot and his rebounding is not great, but both can be fixed with experience and practice. Roy is a bit better at running the court than I expected and his passing is real nice. The attitude he has is a big bonus to me. Big men always tend to develop slower than wings and PG's. Think of it compared to the David Harrison experience.

Bottom line is that he is a rook and will make rook mistakes all season long most likely.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

I see him as a slower Segana Diop with some back to the basket moves.

Edit: In about two and a half seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    I see him as a slower Segana Diop with some back to the basket moves.

Edit: In about two and a half seasons.
    He's already got more offensive game than Diop, but he's not a good of an athlete. I see him as a 14-8-2 guy who can pass and who's a definite plus in the locker room. I'll take that anyday.

His offense was on display tonight in Orlando.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

I personally dont see him as a starter on a great team. More of a guy off the bench. Can we see him in our future? Sure, but not in the starting lineup. I can see him as a player we use to cover the bigger Cs in the game like Dwight, Yao, Bynum and Oden. We have to give him a few seasons to work his way in. Hes still young and trying to adjust
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Most likely niche: Solid career backup center

I could see him as starter material if he's surrounded by four excellent players, including a very rugged PF type to do the dirty work.

I don't know that Hibbert will be able to excel at physical defense, shot blocking, and rebounding. His shooting and passing are good. He's painfully thin, slow in jumping and lateral movement.

Best case scenario he might be able to be utilized as a starter somewhat like what we did with Smits.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

I think he's very much on a par with Smits at a comparable stage of his career. Right now, the problem I see is that everything is moving too fast for him. The more experience he gets, the more he'll be able to figure out what he can and can't do.

I think he'll be a starting center in the league, but probably not anything spectacular. Somewhere in the Dampier range.

He looks real funny running up and down the court. I just like that he works hard and has a good head on his shoulders. I hope him and B Rush can continue to get minutes together this year b/c I did see Roy have an excellent pass to Rush during the Bobcats game. They both we get better with time.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he has already taken positive steps. It will take time and he may get it this year. And then he may hit the rookie wall right after "getting it".

It is going to be a process for Hibbert, as well as most big men. What he has going for him, is that he is mature enough to weather through the maturation process.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    I think he's very much on a par with Smits at a comparable stage of his career. Right now, the problem I see is that everything is moving too fast for him. The more experience he gets, the more he'll be able to figure out what he can and can't do.

I think he'll be a starting center in the league, but probably not anything spectacular. Somewhere in the Dampier range.
    He has a ways to go to be as good as Smits, but not that far to be another Dampier. I expect Roy to be a bigger offensive weapon...either from his passing or posting...than Dampier. Roy simply is a more gifted offensive player than Dampier. We have already seen a couple flashes of fantastic post moves...along with a hook shot...and veteran-like passing...and a 17 foot jumper. He has the tools to be much better than Dampier IMO....but he's gotta show it.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    He has a ways to go to be as good as Smits, but not that far to be another Dampier. I expect Roy to be a bigger offensive weapon...either from his passing or posting...than Dampier. Roy simply is a more gifted offensive player than Dampier. We have already seen a couple flashes of fantastic post moves...along with a hook shot...and veteran-like passing...and a 17 foot jumper. He has the tools to be much better than Dampier IMO....but he's gotta show it.
    No doubt... but he's still just starting his rookie campaign. He's shown improvement already since draft day, and there's nothing that makes you think that improvement won't continue.

I don't think Smits is his ceiling... I think his ceiling is higher. And I liked Smits.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Hopefully not in Dampier's salary range!

Why does anyone think Hibbert is still going to be a Pacer in 5 years? The reason I use 5 years is b/c it is constantly mentioned that is how long it took Smits to mature. Stop and think of the roster as it now stands, what player/players are really going to still be here in 5 years? Granger, maybe Rush, and that's about it if neither gets traded and the Pacers can re-sign Rush. Yet, the Pacers TPTB at that point in time, whoever they will be, will still be patiently waiting on Hibbert to be a Rick Smits? Lets hope not!

Now, lets view this in a rational way. Why did Bird draft Hibbert and trade for Rush? B/c they were more "NBA ready" than others. Bird has to turn this franchise around, and his contract gives him this year and next to do it to the satisfaction of the Simons. Bird can't/couldn't afford to draft players with "potential" and wait for years for them to develop. In all reality, Bird's future with the Pacers is on the line. Do you truly think Bird has the luxury to wait 5 years for Hibbert to mature? Unless he gets an extension on his contract, he can't wait.

Hibbert has to start developing at a greater rate than he's presently doing if he is to have a future with the Pacers. Bird just doesn't have the luxury of waiting on Hibbert to develop into a starting 5 years down the road. As it stands/looks, it will be Foster and Hibbert manning the center spot next season with Rasho gone. That should just about scare the opposing teams into submission with that combo! It will be worse than what the Pacers have presently with a 6-10 record going into a difficult part of the schedule.

So what is the answer? Well, it isn't Hibbert at this point in time. The Pacers are going to have to do 2 things IMO. They are going to have to trade for an established inside presence in the form of a Power Forward or center, and draft either a PF or a center in the draft with their 1st pick. If they draft a center with their 1st pick, it tells me that Hibbert isn't getting the job done or he isn't in thePacers future plans or both.

I personally feel the Pacers Kingdom got another sales hype job after Hibbert was drafted by TPTB. The Pacers are in the process of rebuilding and need to get the fans back in the seats at Conseco. How many times have I read that winning will bring back the fans? The Pacers aren't winning, and the future presently only looks good thru rose colored glasses. Both Bird and his coach are both on the hot seat to get this team winning and Hibbert's slow progression isn't helping. I truly wish Hibbert was putting up Mark Gasol's numbers as rookie, but he isn't. How much patience does the current TPTB truly have with the way Hibbert is playing? Just remember the Pacers are the ones who drafted Dampier and traded him, it hasn't been a loss either, so it isn't out of the realm of a possibility to do the same with Hibbert. The Pacers also invested 4 years in Harrison which was an absolute total loss. I don't believe they can afford putting 5 years in Hibbert w/o seeing some great strides in progress after the 1st 2 years. JMOAA
    Last edited by Justin Tyme; 11-30-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Why does anyone think Hibbert is still going to be a Pacer in 5 years? The reason I use 5 years is b/c it is constantly mentioned that is how long it took Smits to mature. Stop and think of the roster as it now stands, what player/players are really going to still be here in 5 years? Granger, maybe Rush, and that's about it if neither gets traded and the Pacers can re-sign Rush. Yet, the Pacers TPTB at that point in time, whoever they will be, will still be patiently waiting on Hibbert to be a Rick Smits? Lets hope not!

Now, lets view this in a rational way. Why did Bird draft Hibbert and trade for Rush? B/c they were more "NBA ready" than others. Bird has to turn this franchise around, and his contract gives him this year and next to do it to the satisfaction of the Simons. Bird can't/couldn't afford to draft players with "potential" and wait for years for them to develop. In all reality, Bird's future with the Pacers is on the line. Do you truly think Bird has the luxury to wait 5 years for Hibbert to mature? Unless he gets an extension on his contract, he can't wait.

Hibbert has to start developing at a greater rate than he's presently doing if he is to have a future with the Pacers. Bird just doesn't have the luxury of waiting on Hibbert to develop into a starting 5 years down the road. As it stands/looks, it will be Foster and Hibbert manning the center spot next season with Rasho gone. That should just about scare the opposing teams into submission with that combo! It will be worse than what the Pacers have presently with a 6-10 record going into a difficult part of the schedule.

So what is the answer? Well, it isn't Hibbert at this point in time. The Pacers are going to have to do 2 things IMO. They are going to have to trade for an established inside presence in the form of a Power Forward or center, and draft either a PF or a center in the draft with their 1st pick. If they draft a center with their 1st pick, it tells me that Hibbert isn't getting the job done or he isn't in thePacers future plans or both.

I personally feel the Pacers Kingdom got another sales hype job after Hibbert was drafted by TPTB. The Pacers are in the process of rebuilding and need to get the fans back in the seats at Conseco. How many times have I read that winning will bring back the fans? The Pacers aren't winning, and the future presently only looks good thru rose colored glasses. Both Bird and his coach are both on the hot seat to get this team winning and Hibbert's slow progression isn't helping. I truly wish Hibbert was putting up Mark Gasol's numbers as rookie, but he isn't. How much patience does the current TPTB truly have with the way Hibbert is playing? Just remember the Pacers are the ones who drafted Dampier and traded him, it hasn't been a loss either, so it isn't out of the realm of a possibility to do the same with Hibbert. The Pacers also invested 4 years in Harrison which was an absolute total loss. I don't believe they can afford putting 5 years in Hibbert w/o seeing some great strides in progress after the 1st 2 years. JMOAA
    You know, a puppy dies every time you use an exclamation point.

Side note to the others viewing who may have some sense of perspective: Danny Granger's numbers in November of his rookie year: 2.9pts, 2.3rebs, 33% shooting.

You know, a puppy dies every time you use an exclamation point.

Side note to the others viewing who may have some sense of perspective: Danny Granger's numbers in November of his rookie year: 2.9pts, 2.3rebs, 33% shooting.

Cat people don't really care!

Lets hope Hibbert progresses as well in the future, but unlike some who would be content if Hibbert develops into a b/u center at that pick I expect more. Sorry, I have higher expectations.

The Pacers aren't winning, and the future presently only looks good thru rose colored glasses.
    They're winning more than last year, and even I (who predicted a pretty terrible season for them) think they'll end up with a much better percentage by the end of the year.

Hibbert's slow progression isn't helping. I truly wish Hibbert was putting up Mark Gasol's numbers as rookie, but he isn't. How much patience does the current TPTB truly have with the way Hibbert is playing?
    Are we watching the same games? I thought Roy looked pretty decent last night... a definite improvement.

I don't believe they can afford putting 5 years in Hibbert w/o seeing some great strides in progress after the 1st 2 years.
    And what makes you think you won't see them? You're basing your disgust on a pretty small sample size.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Lets hope Hibbert progresses as well in the future, but unlike some who would be content if Hibbert develops into a b/u center at that pick I expect more. Sorry, I have higher expectations.
    What exactly do you expect from a #17 pick in his first 20 games?

If he ends up as a solid NBA player you've done well with the pick. If he ends up as a clear starter (which doesn't seem unreasonable to me) then you've done amazing.

What exactly has he done that makes you think his ceiling is "career backup?" And why would that even be a problem?

Enjoy your time at PD!

I truly wish Hibbert was putting up Mark Gasol's numbers as rookie, but he isn't.
    and simply he can't. pls stop comparing hibbert to gasol. gasol is way more talented than hibbert. also while hibbert was playing against college guys gasol was already playing in spanish league which is the best league in the world after nba and he was named the mvp in 2008. i don't know which of these guys will be better in the 5-10 years but there is no way hibbert can play at the level gasol is at now.
    Last edited by xtacy; 11-30-2008 at 04:42 PM.

Banned

When did Marc Gasol become something special? He's having a solid rookie season, sure, but nothing Hibbert probably couldn't do right now if given the same amount of playing time. In fact, Roy's averaging more blocks and nearly as many assists in 1/3 of the minutes,

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

If you threw Hibbert out there for 30 minutes a night playing on a basement sqaud like Memphis, I am willing to bet he could put up some gasol like numbers. He had some nice games in preseason when he got to play big minutes... he just needs some time, just got to iron out the mistakes, jesus christ.

12 points and seven boards in 30 mpg for gasol? Didn't Hibbert have like 10/7 the other night... in like 18 minutes?

Why do people think all rookies can just jump straight from college to the NBA and immediatly be consistent big time contributers? The granger example continues to be lost on some around here...
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 11-30-2008 at 06:04 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

hibbert showed some flashes last night. still has a lot to learn, but that will come with experience.

he still needs to work on his strength imo. i'd also like to see him add some shot fakes when he post up

Mood

The time to complain, really complain, about Hibbert's game is about 2 years from now. As long as he keeps working/playing hard, it's too early before then to make real conclusions.

I'm reminded of this thread:

http://www.pacersdigest.com/apache2-...t=41386&page=2

Specifically, this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Somebody walk me through this... it's not like Hibbert dropped to 17. That was as high as anybody expected. But right now he sounds like the second coming of Zo.

Are we hyping him too much? I'm worried that he'll come out and struggle, and then people will sour on him. A bunch of teams thought, at the very least, that he wouldn't be ready any time soon.

Enjoy your time at PD!