Page 5 of 75 FirstFirst 1234567891555 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 1873

Thread: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

  1. #101
    Member pacergod2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    2,881
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    I think Curry is the next Derek Fisher. He needs to bulk up a bit more, but I see him in that mold in the NBA. I think he can have a long productive career and I think the guy will be a winner. I don't think I want the basketball player that blows the doors off the measurements. I think Curry is a very good basketball player.

    Gani Lawal is the next Ike Diogu. Long wingspan, 6'8" tall PF, big frame but must add weight, not especially dominant on the boards. Hmmmm.... Doesn't sound too appealing to a Pacers fan.

    DeJuan Blair is a PF I really think is a player who's game could translate well to the NBA. He is a sophomore. He is listed at 6'7" 265, but I think he is a player who plays much bigger than that. I think he would be more of the Boozer/Millsap/Haslem mold and be a terrific value as a second rounder in the next year or two.

    Taj Gibson at USC, Jordan Hill at Arizona, Micheal Washington at Arkansas, and Arinze Onuaku at Syracuse are a couple of PF's I think could make an impact on teams over the next draft or two. None of them are high-lottery types, but might make a roster and contribute from the bench, until they can develop.

  2. #102
    Never Quit. Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    If anyone is interested, the Arizona-Kansas game is on Fox Ohio right now. Jordan Hill is the big guy for Arizona who is expected to go in the top 10 next year. I just started watching but he seems real athletic and aggressive. Really gets up and down the floor well.

  3. #103
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    I can't see the game, but his production looks very promosing.

    There's an article on him on the front page of NBADraft.net, and he's moved up to #5 in their mock.

    http://www.nbadraft.net/




    Marquis Daniels, is that you?

  4. #104
    Never Quit. Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,091

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    He seems to be everything the Pacers need at the 4. Great size, athleticism, loves to dunk the ball, doesn't back down. He even broke down Aldrich on the dribble one time. He's compared to Bosh on NBADraft. I would say thats a pretty accurate comparison.

  5. #105
    Member Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,157

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    I hope you guys are watching Gtown v Uconn right now on ESPN2. Greg Monroe looks legit. Great passing and vision, he stole the ball from a guard on the perimeter and ran it down and finished with an and 1, had a nice hook shot over Thabeet, and even dropped a three so he has range for our offense. He's dominating UConn right now.

  6. #106
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    3,825

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Watched Davison vs WVU last night.
    Curry did not have a great shooting night but one of the color guys compared him to a smaller Reggie Miller with his quick release. Curry is a major player and I advise everybody on this board to go watch him play Purdue @ the Wooden Classic.
    WVU
    Devin E'banks (Yes, The Sampson Recruit) He is an aggressive rebounder, good athlete, & has a NBA body. He is a PROJECT but will probably be a one and done player and enter the draft.
    I went to High School with Stephen Curry for a year. He is a very high character guy who is all about the team. Would be a great pickup for anyone.

  7. #107

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    i'm beginning to take the mindset that it's griffin, harden, derozan, patterson, or bust. this draft continues to look weaker and weaker.

  8. #108
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    3,825

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i'm beginning to take the mindset that it's griffin, harden, derozan, patterson, or bust. this draft continues to look weaker and weaker.
    I disagree, I think its looking better and better. Monroe, Hill, Curry, and Lawson have all looked very good this year. I'm not sure that Monroe can play PF next to Hibbert though.

    This draft is going to have a lot of sleepers.

  9. #109

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Franchise55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree, I think its looking better and better. Monroe, Hill, Curry, and Lawson have all looked very good this year. I'm not sure that Monroe can play PF next to Hibbert though.

    This draft is going to have a lot of sleepers.
    monroe is decent, but he will be nothing special. lawson and curry might not even be picked top 20. this draft is indeed very weak comparative to last year's draft. there are only a few players in the upcoming draft who even have the potential to become all stars. if you're going into a draft where hasheem thabeet is being talked about as a top 5 pick, you know it's a weak draft.

  10. #110
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    How is Lawson not a lock for the top-20? Please don't tell me because he's 5'11", 6'. Surely by now you realize that if a point guard is skilled enough, GMs wont hesitate to draft them in the lottery. D.J. Augustin, Chris Paul, T.J. Ford....

    Lawson is skilled enough.

  11. #111

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How is Lawson not a lock for the top-20? Please don't tell me because he's 5'11", 6'. Surely by now you realize that if a point guard is skilled enough, GMs wont hesitate to draft them in the lottery. D.J. Augustin, Chris Paul, T.J. Ford....

    Lawson is skilled enough.
    if you remember my posts from last year's recruiting center, i was one of the biggest lawson fans out there even stating my opinion that he's better than augustin. but there's a reason lawson came back to unc, because he wasn't a 1st round lock. this years draft is weaker which will improve his chances, but his game is essentially the same as it was last year therefore the only difference in his draft status would be the quality of players surrounding him. so no, i would not call lawson a top 20 lock even if he's a player i'd love to have on my team.

  12. #112
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Monroe is going to climb up the mock draft boards but I believe the Pacers will be picking around 17 b/c we will make the playoffs. Do you see this Thabeet kid from UCONN dropping down to us? Curry from Davison? Do we go even younger and have a project pick? It is so hard to say. I really need to see the Cathalies kid from Florida play. If anybody is a fan of Florida basketball give me an update.

  13. #113
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    19,854

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    if you remember my posts from last year's recruiting center, i was one of the biggest lawson fans out there even stating my opinion that he's better than augustin. but there's a reason lawson came back to unc, because he wasn't a 1st round lock. this years draft is weaker which will improve his chances, but his game is essentially the same as it was last year therefore the only difference in his draft status would be the quality of players surrounding him. so no, i would not call lawson a top 20 lock even if he's a player i'd love to have on my team.
    Or maybe because he got a DUI right around the time he was thinking about declaring? That must not of had ANYTHING to do with it......

    Or the fact that they didn't win a national championship, and every single player available came back? Nope, not a chance at being a factor.....

    Here's part of an article from CarolinaInsider writer Greg Barnes:
    When asked if the arrest affected his decision to remain in the draft or return to UNC, Lawson replied with the following: “Yeah, I think so, because Coach [Roy Williams] talked to Larry Bird and they were real high on me. I was either going to be the No. 1 or No. 2 pick [on their draft board]… They’ve had a lot of problems with things like that, like with Jamaal Tinsley and Jermaine O’Neal – there were a couple of people that he named – so he called and said that they just couldn’t take a chance.”

    If Indiana had decided to take that chance, then Lawson said he would “probably” be in the NBA right now. Instead, he’s preparing to make another run at the national championship with a loaded Tar Heel roster.
    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/story/3409572/
    Last edited by Since86; 12-30-2008 at 11:01 AM.

  14. #114
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mt. Dora, FL
    Posts
    81

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    I don't think the Pacers will make the playoffs this year. I also think they'll be somewhere between 5-9 in the draft this year. The college season has a long way to go and you can expect the NBA draft (by the time June 2009 rolls around) will have a completely different shape. Since that is the case, I'm just going to list a few players that I would love to see wearing the blue and gold next year.

    ** Please note that some of these players might be 2nd rounders, or a trade-down in the draft type of acquisition.

    1. Blake Griffin - A no-brainer. He also fills the Pacers biggest need: Power Forward. Although Troy Murphy has done admirable, I think it's safe to say that the biggest weakness or question-mark for the Pacers future is at the four.

    2. Ty Lawson - Although he's projected to go somewhere in the middle to late first round, if the Pacers were to make a move to acquire an additional pick (like last year) or trade out of their lottery pick for two first-rounders somehow (Minnesota is slated to have four first-round choices in 2009, including their own, Miami, Boston and Utah), Ty Lawson could run the floor as a backup behind Ford. ** Lawson would not be worth reaching for in the draft, but again, if the players we want aren't available when we select, why not make a move and get (possibly two picks out of it).

    3. Hasheem Thabeet - I love the idea of having Thabeet and Hibbert somehow. Not sure if it would work with our current system, but I imagine that Jim O'Brien is looking more and more to be our rebuilding coach. The good thing about having two young big men is that you have a better chance of seeing one of them succeed.

    4. Jordan Hill - I like his position and stats. So far I feel like he's the most realistic player the Pacers have a shot at in the draft. Again, he's a PF so would fill a role.

    ** That's it so far. If the Pacers end up in position of drafting someone besides these players, I hope it's based on best-available.

  15. #115
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    921

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    I just checked out Patrick Patterson's stats and was impressed with his production. His rebounding is up a lot from last year and when I checked on it earlier. He's also shooting an absurd .722 from the field as well as being a near 80% free throw shooter. Over two blocks per game, 2.6 assists per game.

    Really impressive all-around.
    Last edited by Quis; 12-31-2008 at 08:50 AM.

  16. #116
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    8,814
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    I agree with croz on the quality of this draft. But with that said I believe there could be a steal in the 7-12 range. A player who could become a great player. I say this because of counts awesome numbers. I believe percentages will equal out.

    Last night Purdue was down 2 with 1.9 seconds left. The player went to the line shooting 7-8 FTs that game. He was 68% on the season. He hit the first FT. But I knew he would miss the second. Sooner or later the percentages catch up.

    It seems that a great player should fall in coming season. Wishful thinking I know. But I believe this.

    I think the later half of is equal to last years second round. The top 5 is like last years 6-10. But this years 6-12 is equal if not better than last years 6-12.

  17. #117
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Saw Robert Vaden (UAB) play live last night @ Hinkle. He has a quick release on par with Stephen Curry. He did get frustrated during some series ie Pushed Down Howard and the proceeded to then tell Shelven Mack (Butler guard) to shut his face while he was sitting on the bench. Mack had just been benched after going on a scoring barrage. Mack stole the ball clean from him with ten second left clinching the game for Butler. I think Robert Vaden is at most a late first round pick. He has zero chance of being a Pacer unless we take him in the second round.

  18. #118
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    8,887

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    The big wild card for me is Rubio if he comes out - really impressed during the Olympics but that's a bit of a different game and he's been hurt a lot. I'm hoping he waits a year - IMO he has pretty good bust potential and I could see him being someone D'Antoni lobbies DW to pick.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  19. #119
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    3,825

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or maybe because he got a DUI right around the time he was thinking about declaring? That must not of had ANYTHING to do with it......

    Or the fact that they didn't win a national championship, and every single player available came back? Nope, not a chance at being a factor.....

    Here's part of an article from CarolinaInsider writer Greg Barnes:

    http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/story/3409572/
    Why would you torture me like that? I would LOVE Lawson on this team. Its interesting to think how things would be different. Would we have taken Rush or Hibbert with the 11th pick? Something tells me Bird liked Hibbert more and knew we could get him later. That means no Jarrett Jack, McRoberts, or Rush. Man, it would be interesting.

  20. #120
    Member themayhem87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    I agree with what most of you are saying...this draft kind of resembles the 06 draft in terms of it being so weak. Griffin is the obvious 1st pick, but after that its a crap shoot. I do however like Monroe, Hill, Thabeet, and someone who I think could be special is Earl Clark from Louisville. Hes a versatile forward who passes very well and is really strong for the sf/pf position. I never like the ideal of a combo player but he for some reason really strikes me as someone who translates well to the nba. His nbadraft.net comparision is to danny granger so you gotta like that.

  21. #121
    Member themayhem87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Monroe is going to climb up the mock draft boards but I believe the Pacers will be picking around 17 b/c we will make the playoffs. Do you see this Thabeet kid from UCONN dropping down to us? Curry from Davison? Do we go even younger and have a project pick? It is so hard to say. I really need to see the Cathalies kid from Florida play. If anybody is a fan of Florida basketball give me an update.

    Living in Knoxville I've seen Calathes play plenty of times, and he's fantastic. I don't know if he's really an NBA point guard but he's perfect for college. I think hes 6'6 and a brilliant passer, he killed UT both times we played him last year. I can only see 2 issues with him which are his shot (he has a slow and sort of funny release) and ball pressure from elite guards b/c there are not very many of them in the SEC. I don't know how well he would handle being pressured continously throughout a game. He probably will win SEC player of the year if it goes to somebody other than Tyler Smith of Tennessee.

  22. #122

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    mac koshwal is a big to watch for. very highly touted recruit coming out of that great 2007 class. not as known because he plays for a fairly poor depaul team but posted solid numbers as a freshmen, and is posting better numbers as a soph. he's a legit 6'10 250 with solid post post moves, a terrific rebounder, plays with intensity, and is actually very agile for someone his size. sure, his physical attributes and numbers are identical to half the power forwards coming out, but this kid has potential whenever he declares. and because he'll fly under the radar being on a poor team, he could be had mid to late 1st.

  23. #123

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by themayhem87 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with what most of you are saying...this draft kind of resembles the 06 draft in terms of it being so weak. Griffin is the obvious 1st pick, but after that its a crap shoot. I do however like Monroe, Hill, Thabeet, and someone who I think could be special is Earl Clark from Louisville. Hes a versatile forward who passes very well and is really strong for the sf/pf position. I never like the ideal of a combo player but he for some reason really strikes me as someone who translates well to the nba. His nbadraft.net comparision is to danny granger so you gotta like that.
    the problem with clark is although he's a talent, he gets much too passive during games and goes long stretches without making his mark on the game. i would also like for the supposed leader of that team to step up once in a while to prevent an upset. louisville has now been upset 3 times this year and really has defeated nobody. for clark to ever become anything, he'll need to become a much more aggressive player.

  24. #124
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,748

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by tbabyy924 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope you guys are watching Gtown v Uconn right now on ESPN2. Greg Monroe looks legit. Great passing and vision, he stole the ball from a guard on the perimeter and ran it down and finished with an and 1, had a nice hook shot over Thabeet, and even dropped a three so he has range for our offense. He's dominating UConn right now.
    Yeah, but he hooked up with one of my slutty no-so-pretty gtown friends. I don't know how that translates to on-the-court behavior but I'm pretty sure he makes terrible decisions.

  25. #125
    Member Kuq_e_Zi91's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    2,157

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, but he hooked up with one of my slutty no-so-pretty gtown friends. I don't know how that translates to on-the-court behavior but I'm pretty sure he makes terrible decisions.
    Ah, was alcohol involved? If so, everybody makes mistakes. As long as we keep the 40 out of his hand on the court, we should be okay.

Similar Threads

  1. Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...
    By Major Cold in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2039
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 11:43 PM
  2. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 7
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 01:46 AM
  3. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 4
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 08:33 PM
  4. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 10:23 AM
  5. Top Draft Prospects
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-18-2008, 11:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •