Page 4 of 75 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

This looks to be a weak draft class at least in the lottery.

Yes Griffin is what the Pacers need but he also is likely to be the number 1pick. Which as of right now the Pacers have a shot at it as good as anybody.

One of my favorite prospects is Earl Clark. I think he will be a fine NBA player. Some compare him to Danny. No, we don't need Clark and he isn't the ideal fit but I think if he is the best player avaliable you gotta take him.

Banned

Greg Monroe is an interesting big man prospect. He's out of Georgetown and is listed as 6'10"-6'11", 250 lb. There's a lot of doubt about whether he'll enter the 2009 draft, but if he does he'll have to interest management.

He's not having a jaw-dropping freshman year, but those are some good numbers none the less. He looks like a big time shot blocker and the 2.1 apg and positive assist-to-turnover ratio are both very nice.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'd like to see Tyreke Evans in play sometime this year.

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recru...ruitId%3d43631

A future pro. When Tyreke turns it on, he can be one of the best players in the Class of 2008. He is strong and quick. He understands how to play. He can score in a variety of ways, from three-point land, driving to the basket and finishing with either hand, posting up a smaller defender or getting to the free throw line by creating contact. He is difficult to guard in the half court and impossible to guard in the full court when he has a head of steam. When he plays hard, he can not be guarded on this level, however, he has the ability to take plays off and disappear for stretches of games. He will continue to improve his three point range. He must learn to stay focused on the defensive end. He tends to lose his man while ball-watching or ball-chasing.

A big-time scorer. Scores with ease over and around defenders. Does it all with the ball in his hands. He can post-up with his size/strength. Drives to basket and has an uncanny ability to finish with either hand. In transition, he can handle the break and score or fill the lane and finish. He can shoot it well from mid-range 15', his 3pt shot needs work. At the present time, he is not a great shooter but certainly makes shots. A dynamic scorer with the ball in his hands, he must learn how to play off the ball. (Spacing the floor, screening, and cutting) Defensively he needs to take more of an interest in guarding his own man, while learning the concepts of team defense.
    He has great size and length for a guard (strong with long arms). Not explosive going to the basket but an extremely effective first step. He changes speeds/direction well with the ball and puts the defender off balance. Maybe the best in the country at creating his own shot with the use of the dribble. Evans has superstar ability off the dribble. Think a 6-5 version of Allen Iverson. That's how quick and difficult he is to guard. However, Evans does not have a fraction of Iverson's drive and hustle and always seems to leave you wanting more. There isn't a player in the junior class with his offensive talents; they are, no doubt, unique. The question is whether he will ever play with the consistent level of intensity to fully realize his enormous potential
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by rommie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    One of my favorite prospects is Earl Clark. I think he will be a fine NBA player. Some compare him to Danny. No, we don't need Clark and he isn't the ideal fit but I think if he is the best player avaliable you gotta take him.
    I don't really see the Clark/Granger comparison, but I do like Clark. I see Clark as more of a PF than Danny. He's not a banger, but he looks a little bigger and stronger than Danny. I also don't see him ever becoming as good of a shot as Danny or as good of a ball-handler. Also, I don't know if Clark's defensive intensity will match Granger's. I see Clark as a decent offensive-minded smallish, perimeter oriented PF in the NBA. I wouldn't mind the Pacers drafting him, but I don't see him as a top 10 pick unless this draft is just horribly weak.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    Greg Monroe is an interesting big man prospect. He's out of Georgetown and is listed as 6'10"-6'11", 250 lb. There's a lot of doubt about whether he'll enter the 2009 draft, but if he does he'll have to interest management.

He's not having a jaw-dropping freshman year, but those are some good numbers none the less. He looks like a big time shot blocker and the 2.1 apg and positive assist-to-turnover ratio are both very nice.
    I've been high on him since before the college season started. He's got a nice game and would fill a void for us, and at our rate, we could probably pick him up wherever we're picking at.

Despite the recent lack of success, I'm still projecting us as having a late-lottery or mid-first-round pick. If we're looking PF, there are several intriguing prospects: Greg Monroe, Jordan Hill, Patrick Patterson, Gani Laiwal, Hansborough.

It seemed like the middle of the first round in last year's draft was full of C/PF's with a bunch of questions about them. The middle of this year's first round seems full of smallish PF's with question marks about how their game will translate to the NBA.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Gani Lawal is kind of interesting, sounds a bit like a Dale Davis type.

"Although Lawal stands only 6’8, he is able to make up for his lack of ideal height with his outstanding wingspan (reportedly 7’1) and outstanding body. At 233 pounds, he has a frame that is plenty capable of adding more weight if desired. He is a simply physically imposing player who is able to compensate for his lack of height with terrific athleticism and incredibly hard play.

The main selling point that Lawal offers as a prospect revolves around the little things that he brings to the table. He possesses an outstanding motor, usually playing harder than anyone else on the floor. The Georgia native is outstanding running the floor, extremely quick off his feet, posts incredibly hard, and uses his body to play the role of enforcer on the defensive end. He appears to be an absolute coach’s dream, and a player who constantly leads by example with his excellent effort."

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Gani-Lawal-1269/

They also go on to say he is offensively raw and probably more of putbacks/garbage scorer. The only thing I don't get is they say he is a marginal rebounder, but it shows him averaging over 10 boards per game, which is hardly marginal.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Might be too early but ESPN draft lottery machine is up

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/lottery2009/mockdraft

austin daye is a big time player. doubt he comes out after this year, but if so, i'd take him in a heartbeat if we have a late lotto pick.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Sadly no one is going to sleep on Blake, Thabeet or Curry. Right now those seem like the only sure things to me, ie they will at least play and start and could be serious pieces on a team.

How sad is it that Chase Budinger fell out of the lottery last year and remains out of it this year. Same with Collison at this point.

Banned

I don't believe Collison was ever a lottery talent despite what the mock drafts may have said. Given his lack of size, age, and fairly unimpressive production, I doubt he's a 1st rounder at this point.

Greg Monroe looks like the most talented big man we could possibly get from our current position. Griffin and Thabeet will be long gone, and Monroe is a better prospect than guys like Patterson and Lawal. Monroe looks like a potential 2010 #1 overall pick who could be "stolen" between picks 5-10 if he declares for this coming draft, the same way that the current front-runner for the 2009 #1 spot, Blake Griffin, was projected to go had he declared for this past draft.
    Last edited by Quis; 12-16-2008 at 09:44 PM.

so for the past 2 years now, i am the only member on here to mention austin daye. that fact is fairly disappointing, especially considering he's a sure fire lottery pick regardless of the year he comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Sadly no one is going to sleep on Blake, Thabeet or Curry. Right now those seem like the only sure things to me, ie they will at least play and start and could be serious pieces on a team.

How sad is it that Chase Budinger fell out of the lottery last year and remains out of it this year. Same with Collison at this point.
    you continue to be wrong on curry...

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    so for the past 2 years now, i am the only member on here to mention austin daye. that fact is fairly disappointing, especially considering he's a sure fire lottery pick regardless of the year he comes out.

You aren't alone on this, it's just hard to tell when he's going to come out.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

A kid I like is Wesley Matthews from Marquette just not in the first round. The whole thing about Curry is this he is a good basketball player just will never be more than a role player. He will always have a good jumper and even better release. He has a great basketball IQ & is never going to be an offcourt the problem. I think him and Tyler Hansborough will be just fine in the league.

you continue to be wrong on curry...
    Everyone has their opinions and they are free to voice them however they please. Maybe you should provide your OPINION as to why you don't feel Curry will be a great player. Constantly telling people they are wrong on a subject while failing to provide evidence to back up your claim will garner you no respect here.

In my opinion, I think Curry will be a very good player in this league. True, he may be undersized, but he's got such a high IQ, I feel he'll make up for his other deficiencies. I can see him being a 18ppg player in his prime and a great role player on a championship team.

The guy I'm really hoping we can come away with is Greg Monroe. The sky is the limit with this kid and if he actually decides to come out this year, we might have a shot. If he isn't available, I like Patterson as well. While there may not be a high number of star players coming out this year, we'll still have a handful of guys that can be great contributers to pick from.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    Everyone has their opinions and they are free to voice them however they please. Maybe you should provide your OPINION as to why you don't feel Curry will be a great player. Constantly telling people they are wrong on a subject while failing to provide evidence to back up your claim will garner you no respect here.
    first off, when you're picking in the lottery, you need better than "role" players. and if you'll notice the thread i replied to, naptown provided no opinions as to why he feels curry will be a superstar...but the fact is curry is too short, too thin, not quick nor athletic enough offensively and defensively, and not a good enough ball handler or passer to do much in the nba. yes, curry can get his shot off against quicker guards, but as you saw against purdue, when he's bumped and played physically with bigger and stronger guards on him, he just can't operate. yes, he has a quick release, but he gets absolutely zero elevation on his jumpshot.

just because a player can put up huge numbers in college, doesn't mean his game will translate to the nba. tyler hansbrough and stephen curry are two players who's games just won't translate.

now you tell me why you think curry will be something special in the nba...because of a high basketball iq? you seriously think curry can compete against the man pressure guys like rondo, billups, paul, etc will place on him?

now you tell me why you think curry will be something special in the nba...because of a high basketball iq? you seriously think curry can compete against the man pressure guys like rondo, billups, paul, etc will place on him?
    First off, Billups is ****-poor at defense. Just because he played for Detroit doesn't mean he's suddenly an elite 1-on-1 defender. But anyways, Unless Curry is the #1 option on those teams, guys like Rondo won't be guarding him. Even if they were, how many great defensive PG's do we have in the league right now? 2? 3? I wouldn't be too concerned with facing those guys night in and night out just because there aren't that many of them around. Curry is quick enough to create against NBA players, and his handle is definitely good enough to play the point. He's been playing the point all year for Davidson while dealing with intense pressure and double teams. So far, he's done pretty good. Yes, he's turned it over more than one would like to see, but it's his first year playing PG. Over time, he should gain experience and make smarter decisions with the ball. He's 6'3", which is definitely not short for an NBA PG and there are plenty of thin PG's in the league that have excelled. Just because a guy isn't the fastest, or can't jump 40 inches doesn't mean they can't be successful. Steve Nash is short and thin but he seems to have done pretty well for himself. Sure, Nash has better court vision and better ball-handling, but it's not as if Curry is completely inadequate in that facet of the game. He's averaging 7apg on a team that doesn't have a lot of big time talent other than himself. At the same time, Curry is a very good team defender. He stays in front of his man and is very good at rotating for help. He plays smart.

You can't take one game (vs. Purdue) and formulate an opinion on why someone won't be successful. That game was basically his only bad game of the year (still had 8rbs, 6asts, 3stls). Outside of the game against Loyola, in which he didnt even try to score, he hadn't scored under 27 points. You might say it's because he wasn't facing the type of athletes and defenders that he will see at the next level, and that is mostly true. The only other game in which he faced an NBA quality backcourt was against Oklahoma, who has Willie Warren (also known for being a great defender). He managed to put up 44 points in that game, so your theory of him not being able to operate against bigger guards seems to contradict itself. In all reality, we can't accurately predict how he will fare in the pros. We especially can't judge one performance and form a conclusion from it because as you see, those conclusions can be easily contradicted with other performances.

first off, when you're picking in the lottery, you need better than "role" players
    Wrong. Not every draft is going to have 14 star players in it. Unless you're in the top 6-8 picks every year, you can't expect to always come away with something better than a role player. Would I choose Curry at #5? No, probably not. I would definitely have to take a hard look if I'm at 10-12 though. He's a well-rounded player that has a lot of strengths. He may not be the flashy superstar everyone wants out of the lottery, but he will be very servicable on a good to great team.
    Last edited by Coop; 12-21-2008 at 04:19 PM.

^
    lol purdue was merely an example...and purdue does not have an nba quality backcourt. but what about west virginia? and even against oklahoma his shooting performance was lacking. you have to remember, curry plays for davidson. before this year and last years tounament, he didn't face any stiff competition to put up the numbers he was. curry is a high volume shooter. it's not rare for him to take 27 shots in order to score 27 points...yes, he is still a great college guard, but please watch this kid more often. his handles are not that good, nor is his quickness as it translates to the nba. and curry is a turnover machine. but honestly, do you want your pg taking 20+ shots per game? that's what curry is. again, i'm not sure where you're getting this idea of me basing an opinion of curry off of one game. using his most recent game against a physical defense i would think would be a good way to help prove a point. i've probably watched curry too many times.

^
    but what about west virginia?
    What about WVU? He still had 27 and 10. His percentage wasn't good but he made huge shots at the end of the game to get the W.

curry is a high volume shooter. it's not rare for him to take 27 shots in order to score 27 points...
    He averages 38ppg this year when he shoots 27 shots or more.

yes, he is still a great college guard, but please watch this kid more often. his handles are not that good, nor is his quickness as it translates to the nba. and curry is a turnover machine.
    I have watched him. His handles are good enough to create and you have to remember he didn't run the point at all last year. From just last year to this year, he has made huge improvements with his ball-handling. No reason to believe he couldn't improve more. And I've already covered the turnovers so I won't repeat myself.

His quickness is one of his strengths so I don't know why you keep criticizing it. One of his best strengths is using his quickness to curl off screens for jump shots. He has even been compared to Reggie in that regard. Being too slow is definitely not one of his problems.

but honestly, do you want your pg taking 20+ shots per game? that's what curry is. again, i'm not sure where you're getting this idea of me basing an opinion of curry off of one game. using his most recent game against a physical defense i would think would be a good way to help prove a point. i've probably watched curry too many times.
    He would never take 20+ shots a game in the NBA. He takes 20+ shots to score 30ppg. Once he is drafted, he won't need to take more than 15 shots a game while running the point. He has already shown he can distribute the ball so there is no doubt he can keep others involved. I know you were just trying to use the Purdue game as an example, but I was trying to show you that using that one game to support your claim doesn't make it valid. Show me repeated instances of Curry struggling against physical defenses and I might rethink my opinion.
    Last edited by Coop; 12-21-2008 at 07:05 PM.

the problem is, because he plays for davidson, he's hardly faced any stiff competion with the exception some of last year's tourney teams and wvu, pu, and ok this year. curry has actually shot 32% if you combine those three games from this year.

the problem is, because he plays for davidson, he's hardly faced any stiff competion with the exception some of last year's tourney teams and wvu, pu, and ok this year. curry has actually shot 32% if you combine those three games from this year.
    True. I don't think we're that far off in our evaluation of Curry. We have some differing opinions, but overall we both realize that he isn't going to be a star player. I think he will be a very solid role player for years to come. Should he be drafted in the top 10? I don't know. Anything higher than #8 is too high though IMO. All of this is just opinion anyways. I personally would be much happier with Monroe or Patterson.

Any word on how Derozan is looking? He's not averaging a lot of points, (10.6) but he's not taking a lot of shots per game either.

^
    lol purdue was merely an example...and purdue does not have an nba quality backcourt.
    As far as overall talent, then I would agree with you, BUT.........

Purdue might have the best defensive team in the nation, and it starts in the backcourt.

Chris Kramer will never see an NBA floor, but he would be one of the best defensive guards in the NBA from day one. His lateral quickness is out of this world good. Combine that with how strong he is up top, and he's just built for defense.

Grant with his long arms and Jackson with his speed and lack of size, being able to get under the dribbler just gives them so many options to defend players. Purdue was able to give multiple looks at Curry to get him knocked off his shot.

There is no way you can use that game as a negative for Curry, or any guard in the nation for that matter. I always say good offense will always beat good defense, but Purdue might be the exception on that one.

Bigger guards (6'6") with strong upper bodies that like contact would be the situation that makes them struggle. In college, there aren't too many of those playing up top, and even then they can go with a taller player on him that hustles his *** off in Hummel.

It just sucks for them they ran into Duke and Oklahoma so early in the season. There aren't many teams in the nation that can offer more than what PU could handle. (I'm not a Boiler fan either BTW)

I agree that Curry won't be a star player, but he can be on that next tier. He's a much better verison of a DJ Augustine.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    True. I don't think we're that far off in our evaluation of Curry. We have some differing opinions, but overall we both realize that he isn't going to be a star player. I think he will be a very solid role player for years to come. Should he be drafted in the top 10? I don't know. Anything higher than #8 is too high though IMO. All of this is just opinion anyways. I personally would be much happier with Monroe or Patterson.
    i hear you on patterson