Page 3 of 75 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

ok another guy to keep an eye on is Cole Aldrich PF/C from Kansas

Here's an article from Chad Ford people reading this thread should enjoy.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ftWatch-081204
    Draft Watch: Curry's driving up charts

By Chad Ford
    ESPN.com

Updated: December 4, 2008

AP Photo/Chuck Burton
    Though not strong on athleticism, Stephen Curry's ability to play the point has helped his draft stock.

We're two full weeks into the college basketball season, and NBA scouts are out in force, filling their databases with every detail about every top player in the country.

Early on, the sentiment remains the same as it was all summer -- much like the U.S. economy, the overall quality of NBA draft prospects is in a recession this year.

Part of the blame lies with the inordinate number of young players who bolted for the NBA last season. Another big part has to do with an incoming freshman class that is just so-so. Finally, there are only a few international hotshots who warrant much attention this year. Put that all together, and very few teams are expressing much excitement about the draft class of 2009.

Still, some bright spots are beginning to emerge.

Here's the first of what will be a weekly look at the top prospects in the draft. For a more complete picture of the draft, check out our updated 2009 Top 100.
    The Good

Blake Griffin, PF, Oklahoma
    We began our 2009 Top 100 in July with Griffin atop the list. From the look of things, he's staying there the rest of the year. He has absolutely dominated on both ends of the court -- putting up a Michael Beasley-esque performance in the pre-Big 12 schedule this season. Griffin's combination of size, strength and athleticism, along with his growing offensive prowess, makes him the overwhelming favorite to be the No. 1 pick in the draft. Right now, there isn't a close second.

Stephen Curry, G, Davidson
    Although Blake Griffin is the best big-man prospect in the country, Curry is quickly emerging as the best guard prospect. Everyone knew he was one of the top scorers in the country. But since being moved to point guard, he has shown he can be an excellent passer and floor leader while still dropping 30 a night on an opponent. And when teams double-team him the whole game (as Loyola, Md., did), he's content to stay out of the way and let the rest of his team play 4-on-3.
    His lack of size and athleticism is the only thing keeping him from being mentioned as a possible No. 1 pick. As it stands right now, Curry looks like a lock for the top 10 and could even crack the top 5.

James Harden, SG, Arizona State
    Stephen Curry's biggest competition for the title of best guard prospect comes from Harden. Harden had as good a freshman season as Kevin Love and O.J. Mayo, but he didn't get any of the hype. With Love and Mayo plying their wares in the NBA, the stage was set for Harden, and he has delivered.
    We all knew Harden was an amazing scorer, but his improvements at rebounding, playing tough defense and dishing out assists have scouts calling him the most complete guard in the country. Think the second coming of Brandon Roy.

Hasheem Thabeet, C, UConn
    I've been among Thabeet's biggest skeptics, but I'm quickly running out of allies. More and more scouts appear convinced that the big man from UConn is finally able to deliver. We always knew Thabeet could block shots and run the floor. But his improved rebounding and confidence on the offensive end have more scouts calling him a top-5 lock.
    In fact, with a few more supporters, he could become the consensus No. 2 pick in the draft. I'm still skeptical of the Dikembe Mutombo comparisons, but there's no doubt he made the right move skipping the draft the past two years. Thabeet finally is learning how to play basketball, and at 7-foot-3, he has a chance to make a real impact now.

Jordan Hill, PF, Arizona
    Hill dropped a double-double in five of his first six games. He finally seems to be living up to the potential we saw in him as a freshman. NBA scouts still worry about his lack of strength, but his intensity around the basket, his improved shot-blocking and his bigger role in the offense are giving him a great shot at landing somewhere in the lottery this coming summer.

Greg Monroe, F/C, Georgetown
    The freshman class has largely been a disappointment out of the gate, but Monroe hasn't. Knocked by scouts coming into the season because of his lack of fire, Monroe has played a critical role for Georgetown in the early going. More importantly, he has shown an excellent motor and passion for the game. If he continues to improve, he has a chance to be the first freshman off the board on draft night.

Ty Lawson, PG, North Carolina
    Lawson already has his fair share of fans in the NBA. But the consensus last season was that his game just wouldn't translate well to the league. However, after he had a series of good workouts for NBA teams leading up to the draft, scouts are giving him a second look, and they like what they see.
    Lawson was the MVP of the Maui Classic, and he deserved it. He has cut down on turnovers (sporting a ridiculous 6-1 assist-to-turnover ratio), and he has improved his outside jumper. If he can lead UNC to an NCAA title, he'll have a shot at getting back into the lottery.

Cole Aldrich, C, Kansas
    There's nothing sexy about Aldrich's game. But he's big, skilled and a better athlete than you might think. He has gotten better with every game he has played for Kansas. Given his size and skill set, he looks like a lock to be off the board in the first round, and he has a real shot at the lottery if he keeps improving throughout the season.

Gani Lawal, PF, Georgia Tech
    Lawal had a lackluster freshman year at Georgia Tech. This year, however, the sophomore is starting to play up to his potential. His long arms, uber-athleticism and motor have always made him a favorite of scouts. But it has been his surprising success on the offensive end that has scouts talking about him as a potential lottery pick in June.

Victor Claver, F, Spain
    Not all the news out of the international camp is bad right now. Claver has been on the radar for a couple of years after a standout performance in the Reebok Eurocamp in 2007. But a so-so 2008 year saw him fall out of the picture. He's back this season, putting up impressive numbers for a 20-year-old at Parmesa Valencia. Given his athleticism and versatility, he has the chance to be the second international player taken in the draft next year.

The Bad

Ricky Rubio, PG, Spain
    Rubio turned a lot of heads in the Olympics, but he has begun the season with a whimper. A wrist injury kept him out the first month of the season in Spain. In the long run, the injury is not a big deal, but with players such as Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry and James Harden dominating in the U.S., his position as a potential No. 1 pick in the draft seems to be slipping by the day. In the long run, that might be a good thing for Rubio. But in the short term, his draft stock is taking a hit.

B.J. Mullens, C, Ohio State
    On potential, Mullens might have been the most intriguing name in the draft coming into the season. However, after his first three games at Ohio State, you wonder whether he has what it takes to deliver in a big way as a freshman. Mullens has great athletic ability, but it's clear he's still learning the game and not ready to be playing 30-40 minutes a night.
    Thad Motta seems to be willing to be patient with Mullens. It looks as though NBA scouts will have to be, too. By September, some scouts were projecting him as a potential No. 1 pick. Right now, it looks as though the best-case scenario would be his returning for his sophomore season.

Brandon Jennings, PG, Lottomatica Roma
    Jennings isn't exactly lighting it up in Europe. He's averaging 4.9 ppg and 3 apg with 28 percent shooting in 17.3 mpg in his first eight games for Lottomatica Roma. It's too early to be harsh. When you factor in all the difficulties he faces (new environment, new system, intense scrutiny), he has held up fairly well. But he hasn't helped his stock much by making the move. While plenty of his college counterparts are dominating, we're still stuck talking about potential with Jennings.
    Rest of the Best

Chase Budinger from Arizona hasn't reached lottery status yet, but has a chance to if he keeps up his hot start. Check out the rest of the players who are on the verge of making the top list. Insider

Demar DeRozan, G/F, USC
    It's tough to find a young player more disappointing in the early going. On paper, he has all the tools to be a breakout star. He has an NBA body, is an explosive scorer and landed on a team in desperate need of a star. But through the first six games of the year, DeRozan has looked very ordinary, as have the Trojans.

Gerald Henderson, SG, Duke
    Henderson has been on the radar since he was a high school senior. But why hasn't he taken his game to the next level? Although a few scouts blame Duke's system, most are beginning to write him off.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.
    ------------------------------------------

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft...Insider-081204

Draft Watch: The rest of the best

By Chad Ford
    ESPN.com

Updated: December 4, 2008, 2:40 PM ET

Jrue Holiday, G, UCLA
    Holiday is quietly putting together a very strong first season for the Bruins. Expect him to get better and better as the season goes on, and to stay in the top-10 pick conversation all year. Austin Daye, F, Gonzaga
    Daye is the best talent on one of the best teams in the country. He has improved his rebounding and shot-blocking significantly in the early going, but he's still not dominating the way his talent suggests he could.
    Al-Farouq Aminu, F, Wake Forest
    Among the incoming freshman class, Aminu has been one of the best, and clearly one of the most steady. He's not dominating yet, but he has been very solid.

Tyreke Evans, G, Memphis
    Of all the freshmen in this year's class, Evans was the one most mentioned as a potential one-and-done candidate. He's an excellent scorer who was expected to put up big numbers at Memphis right away. Evans struggled to dominate coming out of the gate, but a huge performance against Marist this week could be a turning point for him.

Chase Budinger, G, Arizona
    Budinger's pre-draft process didn't go well last season, but he's off to a terrific start at Arizona this season. Not only is he scoring more and taking over games, but he can't miss from deep. If he keeps this up, he'll be back in the lottery conversation.
    Patrick Mills, PG, St. Mary's
    Mills was the hot name in the Olympics this year, but his season has been a mixed bag at St. Mary's in the early going. His scoring average is up, but so are his turnovers.
    Jerome Jordan, C, Tulsa
    Jordan isn't wowing anyone yet, but don't be deceived. In a league desperate for big men, the fact that he's averaging nearly a double-double in 24 mpg has scouts still interested.
    Michael Dunigan, C, Oregon
    This might be premature, but there was a lot of buzz coming out of the Maui Classic about Dunigan's performance for Oregon. He's big and athletic and he put up great numbers as a freshman. As his body improves, he could be a guy to watch.
    Jarvis Varnado, F, Mississippi State
    The guy might not be a scoring machine, but he's averaging six blocks a game. That keeps him on the radar -- especially after garnering excellent reviews this summer at LeBron's camp.Lee Cummard, G/F, BYU
    Cummard is the most versatile guy in the country you've never heard of. If he could add some muscle to that bony frame of his, he'd be getting a lot more attention right now.

Luke Harangody, F, Notre Dame
    After dominating in the first few games of the Maui Classic, Harangody fizzled in the final against UNC's Tyler Hansbrough. He looked slow and unathletic when he faced Hansbrough -- a guy who has been knocked as not a great athlete by scouts. In fairness, Harangody was sick, and is now out indefinitely with pneumonia.
    Ed Davis, F, UNC
    As far as freshmen with a future go, Davis won a lot of fans in Maui among NBA scouts by crashing the boards and doing the dirty work. He can't be a star on a loaded UNC team, but his willingness to play a role has helped his stock tremendously.
    Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

sorry but the fact that curry is one of the best guard prospects shows just how bad this year's draft class is. the pacers needed to make their move in last year's draft. there's only a handful of kids this year who can be anything special. curry not one of them...

Griffin, Monroe, Evans, Thabeet, Mills, Singler, and possibly Harden and Hansborough are my targets at the moment. I'm really feeling a Monroe pick by the P's in particular if we don't get the #1, in which case our pick would be obvious.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Picking on need Greg Monroe or Jordan Hill would be realistic, but picking on talent I would go with Tyreke Evans or James Harden if still available. There is still a lot of college ball to be played for draft stocks to rise and fall for these players.
    "I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by DanGrangerPwrRanger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Picking on need Greg Monroe or Jordan Hill would be realistic, but picking on talent I would go with Tyreke Evans or James Harden if still available.
    Bird likes players that have multiple years of college experience. He also likes players that can shoot. He likes players with good basketball IQ's.

Tyler Hansbrough is one PF that seems like Birds type of player.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Jarvis Varnado, F, Mississippi State
    The guy might not be a scoring machine, but he's averaging six blocks a game. That keeps him on the radar -- especially after garnering excellent reviews this summer at LeBron's camp

I am looking at this kid for the next two months.

I watched my 1st college game yesterday... OK and USC. I only got to see the 2nd half of the game, but Blake Griffin wasn't impressive to me. BUT he reminded me of Hibbert in that he can't hit FT's.

Oh yeah, I saw the USC player's dirty hit of Griffin in the ba........ and then argue he did nothing wrong when ejected from the game.

Never saw anything impressive fronm DeRozen either. Maybe I was expecting too much or this wasn't a good game for either.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    Bird likes players that have multiple years of college experience. He also likes players that can shoot. He likes players with good basketball IQ's.

which is a fairly dumb philosophy seeing as the %s of finding great players are far greater when drafting a freshman or sophomore as opposed to a junior or senior. as we've seen this year even, just because you came out as a senior with a supposed high basketball iq, doesn't mean you'll produce right away. the freshmen and sophomores are clearly outperforming their junior and senior couterparts.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post

I will personally burn down Conseco if he was selected by the Ps. He will not translate to the professional game, at all.

There's a reason why he didn't opt for the draft. I mean how many national players of the year are talked about being a mid first round pick?

He just doesn't have any skill, footwork, etc. He is an effective player because he literally works twice as hard as everyone else on the floor. The article is wrong, IMHO. He is very athletic, but completely uncoordinated, which is weird. He moves like a kid in puberty that just grew 7inches.

hansbrough won't do much in the nba...i repeat, if the pacers do not get a top 2 or 3 pick in this draft, they better hope and pray one of the other few halfway decent players fall to them. this year's draft is pathetic. even blake griffin won't be your typical #1 franchise-type player. i was on the pat patterson bandwagon last year, and will be yet again this year if we aren't top 5-10.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    hansbrough won't do much in the nba...i repeat, if the pacers do not get a top 2 or 3 pick in this draft, they better hope and pray one of the other few halfway decent players fall to them. this year's draft is pathetic. even blake griffin won't be your typical #1 franchise-type player. i was on the pat patterson bandwagon last year, and will be yet again this year if we aren't top 5-10.
    But then, whoever dropped to us would be turned around and traded for one of the seniors that are coming out.

I do not think Tyler Hansborough has bad footwork @ all. His problem is this he is stronger than 98% of the players he faces in college. This will not be the case in the NBA. He does have a good work ethic. I am not going to count out the kid.
    Pat Calathies (spelling) has a brother Nick that plays for the University of Florida he is on my list of players to watch. I would not be upset if we went with Ty Lawson and sent Jarret Jack packing in a trade but is Ty Lawson game too similar to that of TJ Ford's?

I say he has horrible footwork due to his inability to do a simple spin off the defender to get his shot. When he turns, he lowers his head and puts his shoulder into the defenders chest and muscles his way through the move.

Just watching him turn and face is absymal to watch.

Also, I did happen to see some highlights from the Purdue/Oklahoma game on SC last night that I must have missed during the actual game night. Griffin did have a very nice dribble move from the 3pt line to lay the ball in. He needs to open up his offensive game and do more of that instead of sitting on the block.

They also showed a clip of him hitting a 3. His release is good, but the technique needs work. His shoulders weren't square, and he shot starts the ball outside of his shoulders to get the ball on line. (Or he did for that shot atleast.) It might help explain his poor FT%. Form is a lot easier to fix than the release. He definately has all the tools to be a complete player.

Watched Davison vs WVU last night.
    Curry did not have a great shooting night but one of the color guys compared him to a smaller Reggie Miller with his quick release. Curry is a major player and I advise everybody on this board to go watch him play Purdue @ the Wooden Classic.
    WVU
    Devin E'banks (Yes, The Sampson Recruit) He is an aggressive rebounder, good athlete, & has a NBA body. He is a PROJECT but will probably be a one and done player and enter the draft.

Banned

Not bad production, and he's already a beast, physically - 19 years old, 6'10", 251 lb. For comparisons sake, Dwight Howard was listed at 240 lb. as a 19 year old.

i did some research on the draft sites. judging from the things i've read and assuming that we will pick from the spot similar to last year's draft these are the guys i like:

Tyler Hansbrough: -high IQ / low TO / hard worker / has leadership abilities BUT -short for his position / not a good athlete / slow footwork

Greg Monroe: -high IQ / good passer / decent post game / good mid-range jumper / good boxout abbilities BUT -not so quick / sometimes disappears offensively

Cole Aldrich: very strong / good rebounder / mentally strong / great competitor that doesn't back down BUT -not good mid-range game / not quick

I want to see strong big guy with a high basketball IQ that has a decent offensive game in the paint. the last thing i want to see on this team is a great athlete player that is suitable for the up-tempo basketball because it's obvious that up-tempo and whoever sees the rim can just shoot the ball type of basketball is worthless and killing us so far. this team has shown this to me at least for now.

my favourite out of these guys is hanbrough. i think they can compliment eachother pretty good with hibbert.

Blake Griffin is what the Pacers desparately need. Power and athleticism and rebounding.
    Do what it takes to get him.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I did see B Griffen play he is good, very explosive but he is a poor free throw shooter.
    if it's his only waekness i guess nobody wouldn't mind it.

to get him we need a first pick. to get that being the worst team isn't enough (there are a lot of candidates for that spot btw)

Thinking outside of Griffin, I haven't heard a ton of bad things about Patrick Patterson. Does anyone know what's not to like about him? The scouting reports I've read have mentioned only the good about him.

The hot choice for the Pacers pick right now seems like Gani Lawal but I don't think Bird will go for a guy who is so unproven. Lawal would have to have a really good season this year to change Bird's mind about drafting especially young players.

I would welcome Stephen Curry to Indiana. I don't think this draft is going to be very good and having a guy whose career has the potential of being a guy better than a Mugsy Bouges (or however you spell that) but not as good as Reggie would be a good return for this draft.
    Already stoked for 2013-2014.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    Thinking outside of Griffin, I haven't heard a ton of bad things about Patrick Patterson. Does anyone know what's not to like about him? The scouting reports I've read have mentioned only the good about him.

The hot choice for the Pacers pick right now seems like Gani Lawal but I don't think Bird will go for a guy who is so unproven. Lawal would have to have a really good season this year to change Bird's mind about drafting especially young players.

I would welcome Stephen Curry to Indiana. I don't think this draft is going to be very good and having a guy whose career has the potential of being a guy better than a Mugsy Bouges (or however you spell that) but not as good as Reggie would be a good return for this draft.
    i wanted patterson last year, and would definitely want him again this year. if we draft hansbrough, i quit as a pacers fan.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    Undersized (6'8"-6'9", 230-240 lb.) and a really lousy rebounder. Considering poor rebounding is arguably Roy Hibbert's biggest issue, I'm not sure about building our future front court around the two.

Banned

Take a look at Arizona State's James Harden....

25.5 ppg
    7.3 rpg
    4.3 apg
    .578 from the floor, .811 from the line, .500 from downtown

I've heard people say he's every bit as good as O.J. Mayo minus the hype.
    Last edited by Quis; 12-14-2008 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    Take a look at Arizona State's James Harden....

25.5 ppg
    7.3 rpg
    4.3 apg
    .578 from the floor, .811 from the line, .500 from downtown

I've heard people say he's every bit as good as O.J. Mayo minus the hype.
    well, the only way we get harden is with a top 3 pick so...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post

Not bad production, and he's already a beast, physically - 19 years old, 6'10", 251 lb. For comparisons sake, Dwight Howard was listed at 240 lb. as a 19 year old.

If this guy is a glass-eating, tough-as-nails kind of guy, I would love to see him starting at PF next to Roy Hibbert to be the Dale to Roy's Smits.

*EDIT* Ah, hell, I didn't realize this guy is Blake Griffin. Quit dreaming.