Page 2 of 75 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 1873

Thread: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

  1. #26
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Everyone needs to chill out. Going the extra mile to stay nice and explain can do wonders for all involved.

  2. #27
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Just for the record I think it's idiotic to trade for high draft picks just for the sake of having high draft picks. My scenario was in trading for Griffen, not just a pick high enough to get him. Good GM's target players not picks. I'm surprised that no one's questioned me saying that Griffen will be a better NBA player than Beasley. He doesn't have the all-around offensive game of Beasley, but he's a perennial top 5 rebounder who will score close to 20 LPG and who plays with a near Foster-like motor on both ends of the floor.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  3. #28
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by FerengiMiller View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    WOW, does anyone understand the difference between...

    "TO GET"

    and

    "FOR" ??

    One is a probability, one is straight up. We will not trade anything for the number 1 overall pick straight up, IE he is saying he would trade any of our players and 2 first round picks for the CHANCE of getting Griffin. End of argument, I am not taking anything out of context, I am just putting his statement into the context of what actually could or would go down with his "idea." Zip it BUD.
    Quote Originally Posted by dictionary.com
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    get   /gɛt/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [get] Show IPA Pronunciation
    verb, got or (Archaic) gat; got or got⋅ten; get⋅ting, noun
    –verb (used with object) 1. to receive or come to have possession, use, or enjoyment of

    for   /fɔr; unstressed fər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [fawr; unstressed fer] Show IPA Pronunciation

    –preposition 4. in order to obtain, gain, or acquire
    mellifluous clearly said that he wanted "to get" Griffin. He didn't say get a chance at Griffin. He didn't say to get the first pick. He didn't even mention the trade deadline. He simply said:

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    However, I'd give any single player on this team plus this year's pick and an unprotected 1st 2 years from now to get Griffin.
    This is simply the statement that mel would give up any player and 2 firsts if, in exchange, he had Blake Griffin on the Pacers. Basically, he's saying that, if Blake Griffin were available in the draft, he would go to whomever had the first pick (or had drafted Griffin) and offer them Danny Granger (effectively), our pick this year, and an unprotected pick in 2011 in exchange for Blake Griffin. The entire premise was predicated on having Blake Griffin on the Pacers at the end of the transaction. It seems extremely straight forward. It's not confusing. It is virtually (but apparently, not quite) impossible to misread his intent.

    And, for the record, there is no difference between "To Get" and "For" in this, or most any other exchange context.

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just for the record I think it's idiotic to trade for high draft picks just for the sake of having high draft picks. My scenario was in trading for Griffen, not just a pick high enough to get him. Good GM's target players not picks. I'm surprised that no one's questioned me saying that Griffen will be a better NBA player than Beasley. He doesn't have the all-around offensive game of Beasley, but he's a perennial top 5 rebounder who will score close to 20 LPG and who plays with a near Foster-like motor on both ends of the floor.
    I've only seen Griffin play a little, and I'm sure he'd help. However, I doubt that I'd give up any player AND two first rounders to get him. For me, it's simply too much for an unproven player. However, since this deal couldn't be done until next summer (even in dreamland), maybe I'll change my mind between now and then.

    However, I think we're going to spend much of the season trying to figure out what we actually have. That, coupled with the fact that players will emerge and fall back over the course of the year, means that I don't have anything approaching a fully-formed opinion on who and what we should do with next year's draft, yet.
    Last edited by count55; 11-30-2008 at 09:00 AM.

  4. #29
    Banned Jonathan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,833

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    I have watched a bit of college b-ball this year but the majority of my viewing has been the Hoosiers & the Boilers. The only possible pros I see are Robbie Hummel and E'twan Moore. They both need some more time to develop. I did see B Griffen play he is good, very explosive but he is a poor free throw shooter. Willie Warren also looks like and sounds like he will be a one and done player. I also read on here that Larry Bird really likes Lawson (NC) and would have drafted him had he not got arrested. I hope we get our PF situation addressed in the first round but am in the mindframe we take the best player available. I would not mind also picking up an explosive scorer in the second round aka my avatar Lester Hudson if he is available.

  5. #30
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I did see B Griffen play he is good, very explosive but he is a poor free throw shooter.
    So are Dwight Howard and Shaq, but they're both better than anyone who's ever played on the NBA Pacers.

    I think my current infatuation with Griffen is that he appears to fit every need that the Pacers currently have. He's a super-athletic PF that has a low post game yet will still beat 95% of NBA bigs down the court on a fast break. He's a good shot blocker and plays hard on defense. He's also an amazing rebounder. He grabs rebounds while the ball's 11 feet off the ground.

    He's also a potentially dominant player. I think you'll see him mentioned alongside Stoudamire, Bosh, and Howard as one of the best bigs in the NBA within a few years.

    I would agree with Count that a very good NBA player + 2 first round picks is a lot to give up, but if Griffen becomes a legitimate superstar, he'd be worth it unquestionably.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  6. #31
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have watched a bit of college b-ball this year but the majority of my viewing has been the Hoosiers & the Boilers. The only possible pros I see are Robbie Hummel and E'twan Moore. They both need some more time to develop.
    That's the great thing about being a Boilermaker fan right now, every single guy on that team is a 4 year player. I don't really see any of them being big-time NBA players, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Moore and Hummel have decent careers. JaJuan Johnson is a dark horse if he can add some muscle. He's got great length and athleticism and good touch for a big guy.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  7. #32
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,108
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Blakey G ( as I will know and always refer to him) will be going up against players that will not stretch him like last year.

    Seth how did Blakey G do against Beasley/Dozier/Arthur/Dorsey?
    I don't want stats. I can find those. I want a perception of people who saw the game. In college and Euro that is the best way to assess the talent. Seeing them play.

  8. #33

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    this year in college basketball is a little watered down compared to last year. again, there's a reason griffin did not come out after last year, because he's just not the prospect that guys like mayo, beasley, and rose are. griffin's good and has a chance to be great, but he's not on the same level of the 3 mentioned.

  9. #34

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by FerengiMiller View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    WOW, does anyone understand the difference between...

    "TO GET"

    and

    "FOR" ??

    One is a probability, one is straight up. We will not trade anything for the number 1 overall pick straight up, IE he is saying he would trade any of our players and 2 first round picks for the CHANCE of getting Griffin. End of argument, I am not taking anything out of context, I am just putting his statement into the context of what actually could or would go down with his "idea." Zip it BUD.
    I think you need to smoke some bud

  10. #35
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,108
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    This was my second favorite thread last year. Please stop being cruel and bitter to each as to ruin the joy of what this thread could be.

  11. #36
    Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Broadripple
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,253

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Given where I expect the pacers to be picking... I like the sound of Pat Patterson. This based on what I read at draft express, so if anyone has watched him play and can shed some more light, much appreciated.

    Stephen Curry is also intruiging, I wonder if he could be a PG, I also wonder if he will actually come out this year. Could be a steal.
    Last edited by Infinite MAN_force; 11-30-2008 at 07:47 PM.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  12. #37
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,108
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Curry is the next Trajan Langdon.

  13. #38
    Edge of Reason GO!!!!!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Launceston, Australia
    Posts
    3,779

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Curry is the next Trajan Langdon.

    err the dude is like playing awesome in Russia, like who would not want to be Traj Langdon, I got his autographed Topps Rookie Card, He'll be back one day, one day, one day....


    2008-2009
    STATS
    5 Games

    PPG 10.6
    RPG 2.2
    APG 1


    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajan_Langdon Dude even has his own Wikipedia Site


    Ya Think Ya Used Enough Dynamite there Butch...


  14. #39
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,232

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So are Dwight Howard and Shaq, but they're both better than anyone who's ever played on the NBA Pacers.

    I think my current infatuation with Griffen is that he appears to fit every need that the Pacers currently have. He's a super-athletic PF that has a low post game yet will still beat 95% of NBA bigs down the court on a fast break. He's a good shot blocker and plays hard on defense. He's also an amazing rebounder. He grabs rebounds while the ball's 11 feet off the ground.

    He's also a potentially dominant player. I think you'll see him mentioned alongside Stoudamire, Bosh, and Howard as one of the best bigs in the NBA within a few years.

    I would agree with Count that a very good NBA player + 2 first round picks is a lot to give up, but if Griffen becomes a legitimate superstar, he'd be worth it unquestionably.
    Griffin would be just what the doctor ordered for the Pacers. If not available then
    Patrick Patterson would be a reasonable option. For Griffin I would be fairly aggressive to obtain him.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  15. #40
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,108
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by GO!!!!! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote






    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trajan_Langdon Dude even has his own Wikipedia Site

    So does God Shammgod

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Shammgod

    And you could to. Just create an account and write one.

  16. #41
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,527

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Curry is the next Trajan Langdon.
    Maybe, as in a bust in the pros, but style-wise isn't even a comparison.

    Curry is a dead nutz shooter, Langdon got by with no shot and good athleticism for a college player. At worst, Curry is a 3 pt specialist, imho.

  17. #42
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Curry is a dead nutz shooter, Langdon got by with no shot and good athleticism for a college player. At worst, Curry is a 3 pt specialist, imho.
    I'm waiting until I see Davidson play this year because Curry is supposed to be running the point. If Curry shows that he can be an NBA PG, he'll be a good player. As a 2 guard I think he'll be a specialist and nothing more. An ideal role for him might be as a Jarrett Jack/Charlie Bell/Delonte West-style combo guard.

    A better player comparison might be Salim Stoudamire who shot 50% from 3pt in college, played a couple of years for the Hawks, and is now out of the league.

    He is averaging 7 assists and only 2.5 TO's right now, but that's against pretty poor competition. Against Oklahoma he scored 44 points but only had 3 assists compared to 3 TOs.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

  18. #43
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,108
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player...playerId=32284

    Link for Curry

    http://www.ibiblio.org/craig/draft/1...s/langdon.html

    Link for Langdon

    Both are 6'3"
    Both are career 43% 3pt shooters

    Both are SG with PGs bodies.

    Traj had more tools, so he didn't need to carry his team like Curry.

    They are more similar than you remember. How can you say that Traj was not a shooter? He hit 342 3 point FGs. Curtis Staples leads alltime with 413.

    Traj was not a better shooter than Curry is now. but defenses planned for him in the same way that they plan for Curry.


    Trajan was a shooter in a PG body that struggled in the NBA. Curry is a shooter in a PG that will struggle in the NBA.

  19. #44

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Griffen caught my eye last year. He and Rubio are both going to be excellent pros. The rest of the draft? I'm not impressed, so far.

  20. #45
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,527

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by intridcold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player...playerId=32284

    Link for Curry

    http://www.ibiblio.org/craig/draft/1...s/langdon.html

    Link for Langdon

    Both are 6'3"
    Both are career 43% 3pt shooters

    Both are SG with PGs bodies.

    Traj had more tools, so he didn't need to carry his team like Curry.

    They are more similar than you remember. How can you say that Traj was not a shooter? He hit 342 3 point FGs. Curtis Staples leads alltime with 413.

    Traj was not a better shooter than Curry is now. but defenses planned for him in the same way that they plan for Curry.


    Trajan was a shooter in a PG body that struggled in the NBA. Curry is a shooter in a PG that will struggle in the NBA.
    Maybe I do remember incorrectly. His free throw percentage was strong too. Maybe there was a "Sir I gotta go" hitch in his shot. I honestly thought he was a Rajon Rondo type shooter.

    Those numbers don't look like the guy I remember, so I stand corrected and then some. The one "scout" called him the "Purest Shooter in College game today handsdown", so what do I know.

    I just really remember thinking that Trajon will never be a viable pro and I think Curry can and will.
    Last edited by Speed; 12-01-2008 at 12:15 PM.

  21. #46

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by esabyrn333 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If we where to land a guy like Thabeet would it be crazy to think we could run our O with Thabeet and Hibbert as our to low post guys?

    If Bird drafts a center, it says Hibbert isn't what he thought he was as a player with all his "NBA Readiness", Hibbert isn't going to be the Pacers center of the future, or both.

    Why would Bird draft a center, and then have 2 projects trying to play the same position since neither is a PF? How do you develop 2 centers at a time? My 1st thought is Seattle, oops OC, with Swift, Petro, and Sene. They still haven't figured it out yet. What wasted 1st round picks!

  22. #47
    Member Mr. Sobchak's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    704

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Another power forward prospect to watch this year is Georgetown's Greg Monroe. He is only a freshman and might not come out this year but if he does he might be within our range. In a recent interview Lefty Driesell said he looks like the next Bill Russell. That might be a little ridiculous but its pretty high praise coming from a hall of fame coach...

  23. #48

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    I haven't even watched a college game this year, but it seems it is just too soon to thinking of who to draft. Just too many varibles that can come into play to even think of what the Pacers needs will be come June. We don't know what the Pacers needs will be until towards the end of the season.

    At the present time, my vote would be for a POWER FORWARD, but a player like Blake Griffin is not in the realm of possibility. Hopefully, there will be a Dale Davis type PF available when the Pacers draft.

  24. #49
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,072

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    , but what scares me is this me-first attitude of his by choosing europe over college. they say he wasn't even going to qualify for arizona though.
    There is your answer. He went to Europe because he couldn't get into AZ, even on exception status. What else was he going to do? Sit out a year?

    I have no comment on him as an actual player, except the PG should be the brain of the team and if you can't even get into college on an exception status, then I don't think I want you leading my team to Dairy Queen let alone giving you the keys to the franchise.


    Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think my current infatuation with Griffen is that he appears to fit every need that the Pacers currently have. He's a super-athletic PF that has a low post game yet will still beat 95% of NBA bigs down the court on a fast break. He's a good shot blocker and plays hard on defense. He's also an amazing rebounder. He grabs rebounds while the ball's 11 feet off the ground.
    Do you sometimes confuse him with his brother? From what I've seen of his defense, he stands straight up with his hands in the air on defense.

    He is amazing with the ball, I'll give him that, but the whole offense all he did was post up on one side and call for the ball. He literally did on move off of the block for two solid games this week in NY. He didn't catch the ball 15ft out and create something off the dribble, he didn't come out and set a screen for a P&R. He sat his butt on the block and called for it. To be honest, I thought it was a bit pathetic to watch.

    He is an amazing athlete. He has some of the best hands I think I've ever saw. Anything near him and he caught it with people hanging on his arms. He's super big and super athletic so he has all the tools, but he didn't play with passion or emotion. He should have taken over the game against PU and just didn't do it.

    I came away being very disappointed in him. Caple seems like he would be a good coach considering he played and coached under Coach K. But his offensive schemes made Rick's look inventive. Blake is on Amare level of athleticism, but he needs to show he has more offensive skill than being able to sit on the block and out jump/over power people to score.

  25. #50
    Member OakMoses's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Montana
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,031

    Default Re: Official 2009 NBA Draft Recruiting Center

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you sometimes confuse him with his brother? From what I've seen of his defense, he stands straight up with his hands in the air on defense.

    He didn't catch the ball 15ft out and create something off the dribble,
    I think maybe I do confuse him with his brother on defense.

    He did, at least a couple times in the Purdue game, catch the ball away from the basket and create off the dribble. He handles the ball very well for a 6'10" player. Also, at least against Purdue, the gameplan had to be for him to go inside against Purdue's soft big men. He was being guarded by Calasan, Johnson, and Hummel, all of whom are pretty soft on the inside and not too shabby as perimeter defenders. The one thing I didn't see in the Purdue game was a jumpshot. I'd really like to know if he has one.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

    - Salman Rushdie

Similar Threads

  1. Official 2008 NBA Draft recruiting center...
    By Major Cold in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2039
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 11:43 PM
  2. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 7
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2008, 01:46 AM
  3. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 4
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 08:33 PM
  4. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-23-2008, 10:23 AM
  5. Top Draft Prospects
    By Will Galen in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-18-2008, 11:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •