Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

  1. #1
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    I decided to pose this question after skimming some of Danny's tweets and seeing him use a word in one of them that I am sure many people would find offensive.

    https://twitter.com/dgranger33

    The word is used in the tweet from June 21st at 8:27pm. Now I recognize Danny is a young man and I don't even hold it against him, but he has to recognize that he is the face of this franchise and whatever he posts on twitter can be viewed by literally anyone on the planet with an internet connection. And with the Pacers trying to reform their image unfortunately I must say I think Danny has to be extremely careful about what he does or says on twitter.

    Clearly, I don't think this is a reflection of Danny as a person, but there are many average fans who I believe could see this as an indictment on his character.

    Thoughts?

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  2. #2
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I decided to pose this question after skimming some of Danny's tweets and seeing him use a word in one of them that I am sure many people would find offensive.

    https://twitter.com/dgranger33

    The word is used in the tweet from June 21st at 8:27pm. Now I recognize Danny is a young man and I don't even hold it against him, but he has to recognize that he is the face of this franchise and whatever he posts on twitter can be viewed by literally anyone on the planet with an internet connection. And with the Pacers trying to reform their image unfortunately I must say I think Danny has to be extremely careful about what he does or says on twitter.

    Clearly, I don't think this is a reflection of Danny as a person, but there are many average fans who I believe could see this as an indictment on his character.

    Thoughts?
    I know exactly what you're talking about. I saw it too and I was kinda surprised that Danny wouldn't be more careful. It doesn't matter to me since I think he was just using the n-word in reference to one of his friends - I'm much more bothered by TJ's "what team would you like to see me one" tweets - but since there are people out there that could be offended by this, you have to watch out. I think twitter is great for players and fans, not so good for owners and teams.

    I'll say this too: you get a real view for what these guys are like in real life. Danny and TJ both seem completely different on twitter; not at all like the personas I had imagined for them and not in a good way. Kevin Love, for example, seems different from what I thought but in a totally amazing way.
    Last edited by rexnom; 06-25-2009 at 10:11 AM.

  3. #3
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,470

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Yeah, you have to be careful. I will also say that personally I am not offended by the word that he used.

    When you're a public figure and you're using social networking devices, you have to keep it PG enough to where you wouldn't offend anyone. Would the Pope be offended by it? I think that is always a good rule of thumb to use when using social networking.

    Things like this can hurt Danny PR wise. A lot of fans want to break Danny down and act like they know him: oh, he's just a goofball nerd that likes Spiderman. That is Danny from a PR perspective but I'm sure there's more to him than that. And like Rexnom said: it may be stuff that you really don't want to know. And I'm fine with that. I really have little desire to know about the intricate personalities of athletes, they're not people I look up to.

    There is a lot more I could say about this, but I would be venturing into UnPD material. You're welcome, Hicks.
    Last edited by idioteque; 06-25-2009 at 10:19 AM.

  4. #4
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,465

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Since I don't pay attention to Twitter I don't care much, as long as the entire team doesn't stop after an amazing alley-oop to tweet about it.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  5. #5
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    I think we're going to have a twitter backlash in a few months where public figures stop using it as they have and go back to the same PR bull**** they had in the past - official websites, agents posting on their clients' blogs and twitter accounts and the like. Then we'll all miss this time, I think.

  6. #6
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    I'm not a fan of the use of that word. I have a feeling this thread could go somewhere it shouldn't.

  7. #7
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,470

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not a fan of the use of that word. I have a feeling this thread could go somewhere it shouldn't.
    I have faith that our posters won't take it there.

  8. #8
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have faith that our posters won't take it there.
    Faith is hard to come by sometimes.

  9. #9
    Member idioteque's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    washington dc
    Age
    28
    Posts
    9,470

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Faith is hard to come by sometimes.
    Not when the few people who would take it there, you already have on ignore.

  10. #10
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Quote Originally Posted by dcpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not when the few people who would take it there, you already have on ignore.
    Lol.

  11. #11
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    16,949

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    They just have to be careful because it is a public forum.

  12. #12
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Will any average fan be looking at Danny's twitter?

    I guess I'm surprised that celebrities use it so candidly - I haven't really paid attention, but I had assumed they used it in the same way bands looking for attention used myspace, etc. Hmm....
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  13. #13
    Parachromis HC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hartford City
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,794
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    I personally am not offended by this. I do, however, know that Danny is better than that. He is seemingly a bright young man that you would think knows how to use better judgement. He is of course free to do as he wishes, and I'm not going to stop liking him because of this.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

  14. #14

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Doesn't matter to me, but I understand if the Pacers don't like it.

    As for Twitter, anything that allows players to communicate more directly with fans is great.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    323

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Well it bothers me! I as a white man would be crucified for using that word. I don't want to hear it is ok to use because it is between two people of color. Either it is wrong all of the time or stop with the double standards on the use of the word.

  16. #16
    Wasting Light Hicks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583
    Mood

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Yeah, I think this is gonna get closed soon. Gen. Population can't handle it.

  17. #17
    Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Venice, CA
    Posts
    9,690

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Yes, Twitter is bad for pretty much everyone involved. Even when I'm hanging out with friends, I don't just spout off any nonsesnical thought that pops into my head. They would think I was insane (which I am ... somewhat).

    I've seen twitter in action and it's real purpose is lost. It used to be a way to tell your pals "Getting a slice and a beer at wherever Anyone want to join me?"

    Now it's an opportunity for everyone to show off what an idiotic, inane twit you can be around the clock.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

    “If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

  18. #18
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Well, if that's the case, so be it. I just thought it might pull out some interesting conversation on the use of these sorts of things. Personally, I love players being able to interact with fans. I'm not sure, however, that I like twitter. Too much spur of the moment speaking without thinking, and that can get you into trouble quickly.

    Do I think it's great Danny makes himself available to the general populace? Absolutely, however I think he can pick better and more productive outlets do this through. A daily blog, posting on PD, all of these things would conenct him with Pacer fans while also allowing him to express himself in thought out intelligent manner, that I believe is more indicative of the type of person Danny is.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  19. #19
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, if that's the case, so be it. I just thought it might pull out some interesting conversation on the use of these sorts of things. Personally, I love players being able to interact with fans. I'm not sure, however, that I like twitter. Too much spur of the moment speaking without thinking, and that can get you into trouble quickly.
    Player-fan interaction is awesome. Twitter is a great tool for that.

  20. #20
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Player-fan interaction is awesome. Twitter is a great tool for that.
    See the second paragraph I added. I think twitter is just people spouting off whatever their thinking, yeah it might be funny or interesting sometimes, but generally there is a reason we usually keep our spur of the moment thoughts to ourselves.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  21. #21
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See the second paragraph I added. I think twitter is just people spouting off whatever their thinking, yeah it might be funny or interesting sometimes, but generally there is a reason we usually keep our spur of the moment thoughts to ourselves.
    That is true, mainly because there are just some mundane things I do that I really don't have any interest in sharing or hearing about from others.

    But as a portal to let people know what kind of things you do or whatever, sure. As a fan it is fun to know how my favorite players spend their summer.

  22. #22
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well, if that's the case, so be it. I just thought it might pull out some interesting conversation on the use of these sorts of things. Personally, I love players being able to interact with fans. I'm not sure, however, that I like twitter. Too much spur of the moment speaking without thinking, and that can get you into trouble quickly.

    Do I think it's great Danny makes himself available to the general populace? Absolutely, however I think he can pick better and more productive outlets do this through. A daily blog, posting on PD, all of these things would conenct him with Pacer fans while also allowing him to express himself in thought out intelligent manner, that I believe is more indicative of the type of person Danny is.
    I disagree a bit. I think twitter-Danny is what he's like in real life much more so than the Danny we get from Pacers PR and Conrad Brunner. I like getting non-calculated Danny. I wish we could get that kind of insight into all NBA-players, including enigmas like Kobe Bryant. Whether we like it or not, this is how these guys are in real life. It makes perfect sense, actually. He acts like most people his age. It's bizarre, however, how these celebrities really don't filter themselves on twitter.

  23. #23
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,658

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I disagree a bit. I think twitter-Danny is what he's like in real life much more so than the Danny we get from Pacers PR and Conrad Brunner. I like getting non-calculated Danny. I wish we could get that kind of insight into all NBA-players, including enigmas like Kobe Bryant. Whether we like it or not, this is how these guys are in real life. It makes perfect sense, actually. He acts like most people his age. It's bizarre, however, how these celebrities really don't filter themselves on twitter.
    Allow me to clarify, I think personality wise what you see is what you get from Danny both through Pacers PR and twitter Danny. I think they are very similar, just because he likes Batman doesn't mean he might not also say something like this. He is, after all, a 24-25 year old male. What I mean by other outlets being more indicative of Danny's personality is that, to me at least, Danny has always been extremely well spoken and articulate. Something that you can't really do through PR, yes the PR Pacers people have done a great job building up Danny, however part of that is due to the fact that he is a very good speaker and seemingly a generally approachable guy. I just think Danny is more intelligent and well spoken then how the stuff on twitter portrays him.

    We would all probably sound like idiots if we tried to converse in 140 character bursts.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  24. #24
    Denim Chicken duke dynamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    13,373
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We would all probably sound like idiots if we tried to converse in 140 character bursts.
    @Indy: I agree.


  25. #25
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Is Twitter good for the NBA and its players?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We would all probably sound like idiots if we tried to converse in 140 character bursts.
    Can we restrict Nap_Seth to just 140 characters on here? @Hicks lets get it done.

  26. The Following User Says Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •