Thread: MP3 question

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default MP3 question

Y'all know I'm not versed in this carp so I need advice.

I want to get a docking station with speakers for the kid's MP3 players. Are they brand specific? Do the iPod docks work with MP3 players or are they genre specific? Any advice as to what is a good set-up?

Oh yeah.....Uni of Michigan podcasts most of their classes....could Jr. use a MP3 player to download those podcasts or would he need a iPod for that (assuming he goes to U of M ?)
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Mood

Default Re: MP3 question

I'm assuming they do not have iPods and have another brand of player. I have this Sony iPod Dock . This one came with a small patch cable that will let you play any MP3 player over the speakers, but it will only charge an iPod, or use the iPod as the alarm clock, or control the iPod with the dock's buttons through the actual dock. Long story short, I wouldn't say that ALL iPod docks work with any MP3 player, but this one does.

As far as the podcasts, if U of M makes their class podcasts available through iTunes, all Jr has to do is download iTunes, find the target download folder, and manually transfer the podcast to any MP3 player. I had a lot of people tell me it wasn't possible to play songs or podcasts from iTunes on non iPod players but I've never had trouble. I do have an iPod that I use on that dock though and it's great.

I don't feel like starting a new thread, so I'll post my question here.

My ipod died on me this weekend (sad), so I need a new one. I'm thinking of getting a touch (though if someone can convince me of nano, I might look into that). Does anyone have any comments regarding ipod touch? Specifically, I'm looking between a 2G, 16gb ($229) version and a 3G, 32gb ($270) version.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

I've got an 2G 8gig version. It's pretty nice as a portable computer.

As a music player, though, the Nano is better. Listening to longer pieces (especially audiobooks) on the Touch is rough, and I really prefer the tactile that you don't get with the Touch.

Is it primarily for music, or do you want it as a super PDA?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Probably mainly for music, though getting games for the ipod touch is tempting, too. I don't have long audiobooks to listen to, mainly just songs. I'm not really sure what else the ipod touch has (other than wifi access essentially)
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Mood

I love my iPod touch. Mainly because I use it as a PDA as well as a music player and also have several good games. In fact, I'm posting from it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love my iPod touch. Mainly because I use it as a PDA as well as a music player and also have several good games. In fact, I'm posting from it right now.
    What size (gb) do you have? How well does it connect to the internet? Does the music quality sound good? Was it worth the $?

Any other opinions?

Mood

Mine is the 8gb 2nd gen but I did upgrade it to the 3rd gen software. I have never had trouble connecting to wifi at home or a hot spot. It's not as fast as a laptop or anything but it is plenty fast. I also have a 3rd gen nano that I have since given to my daughter, and my wife has a 4th gen nano and I really don't see any difference in the music replay or quality. I listen to it through phones and also a dock and all three iPods sounded the same to me. I think it was worth it.

Is 8gb enough space? I know they vary in size, but do applications take up a lot of space?

Mood

I just checked and I currently have 1216 songs and 35 aps, and still have 2 gb of space available. I don't do video at all though so if you plan on using it for that I'd get the bigger one. Also, those 35 aps I mentioned above are in addition to the 15 or so undeletable aps that come pre loaded on it so I really have about 50 aps.

As a pure music player, the Nano wins. There's a lot to say for being able to navigate without looking.

As a computer, though, the Touch wins. It's a solid web browser, and the PDA functionality is awesome.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

I just checked and I currently have 1216 songs and 35 aps, and still have 2 gb of space available. I don't do video at all though so if you plan on using it for that I'd get the bigger one. Also, those 35 aps I mentioned above are in addition to the 15 or so undeletable aps that come pre loaded on it so I really have about 50 aps.

How well does it play music? Is it easy to use? I'd still like to use it while driving/at the gym (I don't mind the size).

Mood

I am fine using it at the gym. I don't use it often but you can skip songs by shaking the touch. Not as intuitive as the wheel but you can navigate without looking, so using it while driving should be fine. The volume buttons are on the side and can also be used without looking. The screen also is easily locked to prevent accidental skippage. So ease of use, it's not as easy as a dedicated music iPod but you get SO much more for sacrificing just a little bit of that ease of use. I'd just make a trip to the Apple store and check one out.

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    How well does it play music? Is it easy to use? I'd still like to use it while driving/at the gym (I don't mind the size).
    If you want something for the gym, spend $20 and get a Sansa Clip. You'll spend that much just getting a case for your iPod.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I don't think you can go wrong, just decide if you care enough about the (plentiful) features of the Touch.

I have an iPhone, and I'm very happy to have all of its features. If I didn't have an iPhone, I'd certainly want a Touch.

I think I'm going to get the 32gb touch. I'm going to be poor by the end of this week with 2 major purchases.

Thanks for the input.
    Last edited by Suaveness; 01-12-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Case:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...X0DER&v=glance

Protector:

Option 1:

http://www.amazon.com/TU301LL-Crysta...3334807&sr=8-3

Option 2:

http://www.amazon.com/TU300LL-Anti-G...3334807&sr=8-2

Any opinions? Do I need a screen protector (fingerprints/scratches)?

Quote Originally Posted by Suaveness View Post
    Do I need a screen protector (fingerprints/scratches)?
    Total ripoff. The screen will be fine.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Total ripoff. The screen will be fine.
    Not if they're the same quality as the iPod w/ video screens were. I managed to accidentally scrape that sucker on day one back around '05 or whenever those were new.

Mood

Your iPod will come with a microfiber cloth to clean the screen. I used it at first, but eventually I did get a pack of screen protectors. I got them at Fry's and they were dirt cheap. Certainly not $15.

Your iPod will come with a microfiber cloth to clean the screen. I used it at first, but eventually I did get a pack of screen protectors. I got them at Fry's and they were dirt cheap. Certainly not $15.
    Do you remember which ones from Fry's? Did they affect the sensitivity or picture clarity of the screen?

Mood

Sensitivity, yes. Clarity, no. You couldn't even tell it was there. The sensitivity thing you can work through though, you just have to apply a bit more pressure but it's not a deal breaker. If you go to the iPod section at Fry's there are a ton of accessories for all models. I can't remember exactly which ones but they look just like the ones in your links and are pre cut to a precise fit. You do have to make sure the screen is 100% clean when you apply them. Any little speck of dust will give you an air bubble that you can't get rid of. I also picked up two silicone wraps. It was a two pack for $9.99 I think.
    Last edited by travmil; 01-13-2010 at 12:09 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post: