Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Postgame thread Pacers at Houston - Road trip ends well, so....

Default Postgame thread Pacers at Houston - Road trip ends well, so....

Fantastic win. The road trip has a happy ending. Yes, the other two games were win-able. But did anyone really expect to squeeze better than a 1-2 record out of this trip?

So.....now we have another win-able game against Charlotte. Need the win to climb back close to .500 before the schedule takes a brutal turn. Hope that the house is packed on Friday.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-26-2008 at 11:13 PM.

Default Re: Postgame thread Pacers at Houston - Road trip ends well, so....

joeyd, I hope you don't mind but I decided to make this the postgame thread.

Well so I guess Jim O'Brien deserves 100% of the credit tonight and how about those substitutions, everyone of his decisions tonight were perfect, going small brilliant.

Seriously though that was a very unlikely victory. Seemed like for long stretches the only Pacers player that was playing with a lot of energy was Rush - but the Pacers defense was outstanding in the 4th quarter
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 11-26-2008 at 11:16 PM.

Default Re: Road trip ends well, so....

I wonder if ronron broke any hi-def cameras on the way to the locker room?

We played the way teams have played against us in the last 5 minutes.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

First game I have seen all season, and I must say, I am glad that I did.

Loved Granger's intensity at the end of the game, it was a thing of beauty.

I was glad Ron was on the other team tonight

Good idea, and don't mind at all, Uncle Buck. BTW, I think you had pointed out at one time (last year, I believe) that we don't do very well against Charlotte, despite the usually poor record. I hope we turn that corner...

Default Re: Road trip ends well, so....

Quote Originally Posted by aceace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wonder if ronron broke any hi-def cameras on the way to the locker room?

We played the way teams have played against us in the last 5 minutes.
    Sometimes, better to be a little behind entering the 4th. Hate watching teams try to milk leads and get out of rhythm. Purdue did this today and nearly blew a large lead.

I think Ron unintentionally helped us in this game. He couldn't hit a shot late and we got a great scramble at the end to win.

Water

Before I begin my criticism, let me start by saying that this was one of the most exciting finishes I have seen in a long time.

I do want to point out a rare instance where I think the P's got the majority of the calls tonight, so that was nice for a change. Next, I would liked to have seen Hibbert play more this game, as JOB was playing small ball for some time and it seemed like Hibbert played mainly when Yao wasn't in the game. There were times when both Hibbert/Rasho were out of the game and Foster or Murphy were stuck on Yao. Having Murphy on him worked offensively (he hit 2 3's in a row on one stretch) but you can't count on that to work that well usually. Yao is going to dominate you down low on offense and he will hit his FTs as shown tonight. Hibbert is not going to be able to single-handedly contain Yao, but he does change shots in the lane just because of his large size (which was a quality I liked about Harrison - the difference is that Hibbert doesn't foul as much and I have higher hopes for him).

I would not have given the ball to Danny on the last play after the dismal 4th quarter he showed us. I do have faith in him to make big shots (as a franchise player should), but I just didn't trust him on this night. Needless to say, he proved me wrong. The P's snuck with a win.

Banned

nice win for the pacers. JOB made some good decisions at the end of the game. finally

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    joeyd, I hope you don't mind but I decided to make this the postgame thread.

Well so I guess Jim O'Brien deserves 100% of the credit tonight and how about those substitutions, everyone of his decisions tonight were perfect, going small brilliant.

Seriously though that was a very unlikely victory. Seemed like for long stretches the only Pacers player that was playing with a lot of energy was Rush - but the Pacers defense was outstanding in the 4th quarter
    I'm here and I'll be the first to say that I was impressed w/ JOB tonight. He really changed things up and it worked. I liked the Foster sub at the end of the game (IMO, that won us the game). I also liked the final play call for Danny. Danny had a mismatch against Landry, and we got an iso for him (as oppossed to the standard drive into traffic or take a three). Does JOB read these boards?

The only negative I can take away from this game was Murph and Rasho not boxing out. Landry and Scola really hurt us on the offensive boards. Murph made up for it though on the offensive end. I think Rasho is in a bit of a slump - I would like to see more Hibbert and Jeff.

Great win.

I was glad Ron was on the other team tonight
    No doubt UB, as much as I have always loved Ron's game, tonight brought back alot of memories of his 4th quarter bricks and non clutch play. And putting Jack on him at the end? brilliant!! lol

God, that was a great win. It was great to see them so fired up like they had just won the national championship too. That shows me how frustrated they have been losing these games where they have played so well for most of the game. The harder the battle the sweeter the victory.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Rush continues to show a nice quick learning curve. He's going to be really good.

Good point raised about having Foster in at the end of the game. He was not ion the court during the latter crucial stretches of the other two games, I believe.

Banned

I think JOB is reading this blogs.

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    Rush continues to show a nice quick learning curve. He's going to be really good.
    rush is playing very solid - i think he has a very bright future. same for roy.

the draft day trade is looking like a steal.

nice to see us come through late tonight. thank you mr. artest.

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    He looks great. He's a lot better than I expected. There's not much I don't like about his game on both ends of the floor. I like his length, toughness, athleticism, silky shot, ability to drive, ability to assist, ability to get up and contend for tough rebounds...and of course his defense. Like any rookie, he has lots of room to improve, but the dude has barely played 10 NBA games.

A long while ago I could tell Granger would be an offensive threat. Many people disagreed. Well, he's not too bad. I think Rush will be a better overall player....or at least equivalent.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I really thought that Murphy had a great all around game. Fronting Yao and Artest in the post really helped with Jack, Ford, Danny, and Rush running to sag and rotate. Our defense is really looking good out there. I really think that Ford is hurt slightly and for a guy that depends on his legs that is crucial.

Rush is the real deal. This kid does everything really good. If he continues to improve I would say that he could be as good as Granger. A Rose/Miller combo but with defense.

Landry looked smooth out there. I really like his game. Murphy kept us in it and the defense really clamped down. The difference between this game and last night is that Houston was turning the ball over instead of knocking down long 2s....I mean 3 point shots.

I hope ChicagoJ watched the game tonight because maybe now he might see the value of fronting the post

LUCKY WIN, VERY VERY LUCKY!!! I am thrilled we won but we really blew it and got lucky. Couple of easy missed shots by granger and jack at the end, houston really should of won.

Hopefully, this is the win that gets us out of our funk! We really need to go on at least a 5 game winning streak.

This team can play with anybody on any given night, we have the talent. It is a simple matter of confidence for these guys.

Also, Danny Grangers emotion at the end was great to see!!! Those are the kind of guys I like to watch, guys who hate to lose.

I noticed between interviews after losses and his reaction tonight that Granger hates to lose. Nobody likes to lose, but I am sure some players shrug it off pretty quickly.

We should at least win the next two games I think.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

I hope ChicagoJ watched the game tonight because maybe now he might see the value of fronting the post
    But Troy Murphy was interviewed by Mark at the end of the game and said - and I quote - "Yao's so tall that you can't really front the post with him."
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

murphy is a professional, he has no idea what he is talking about
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

What a great finish for the ballgame - it really was an exceptional 4th quarter on our behalf! Oh, how we needed this win!

Coming from 10 points behind from the start of 4th quarter, it sure was a sweet win against a team I actually consider a strong title contender.

Our overall effort at the defensive end was just great down the stretch. We didn't let Rockets score since 3:11 left, which is an amazing feat.

Our attitude and hustle was absolutely tremendous, but to my understanding we played a high risk game at the defensive end for closing minutes. Luckily they could make us pay for it. Playing without McGrady was costly for them, I'd say.

There were a couple of clear mismatches that they didn't capitalize. We had Jack on Artest, especially. Why didn't Artest plain and simply post Jack? On the contrary, he lingered on the perimeter and took bad shots.

The Rockets shot poorly at the end. Partly it's because we didn't give up - which is totally to our credit - but partly it's because they played unwisely. I mean, we could have been exploited, but we didn't.

It turned to be very interesting game. I'm so happy that we believed in ourselves, considering those heartbreaking defeats earlier on the road.

Granger shot badly (his three pointers were 0-for-7) but he established himself defensively with six blocks. Murphy was a factor on both ends. Our rookies Rush and Hibbert played with self-confidence and courage. Foster made a key play at the very end on Yao. A lot of heroes...

I'm sure this win will give us a big boost for upcoming games. You could see the meaning of this win on Granger's body language. He was pretty joyous and jubilnt, which was nice to see

I wouldn't be suprised to find out that these varying experiences we got out of our last four games may actually turn out to be quite a big mental strength at the end of the day. Let's hope so!

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am glad to see that we were on the winning side tonight.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by FinPacers View Post
    There were a couple of clear mismatches that they didn't capitalize. We had Jack on Artest, especially. Why didn't Artest plain and simply post Jack? On the contrary, he lingered on the perimeter and took bad shots.
    I agree, but I did like to see that at the last second before the ball was put in bounds, Granger switched to Ron the last possession.