Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11/22/08 Post Game Thread: Pacers / Heat - Where DWade Happens

streets ahead

Default 11/22/08 Post Game Thread: Pacers / Heat - Where DWade Happens

since no one else seems to start these things anymore...
    This is the darkest timeline.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 11/22/08 Post Game Thread: Pacers / Heat - Where DWade Happens

Danny needs some help to draw defenders away from him. Dunleavy has got to come back.

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

It's beginning to look a lot like last year,
    Starters are out and sore,
    But the ****tiest sight you'll see,
    Is the way we blow the lead...

On our own...home...floor

(Yeah, I know it was an away game, but I wanted to make it festive and rhyming. Teams (in the East) with worse records than the Pacers - Bobcats and Wizards. That's right folks. NJ and NY are both at or above .500)

Quote Originally Posted by DanGrangerPwrRanger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Danny needs some help to draw defenders away from him. Dunleavy has got to come back.
    we need a scoring 6th man.. or a post up/athletic big man.

Both of which can be solved when dun comes back or muph starts to post up.

Quote Originally Posted by justinDOHMAN View Post
    we need a scoring 6th man.. or a post up/athletic big man.

Both of which can be solved when dun comes back or muph starts to post up.

Is this comment serious or facetious?

On the one hand the Dun part sounds good.

On the other hand, Murphy and post sounds like a contradiction in terms.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Is this comment serious or facetious?

On the one hand the Dun part sounds good.

On the other hand, Murphy and post sounds like a contradiction in terms.
    sorry the Dun part was serious.

I just made a post in the game thread of how the unathletic big man situation is doing us a lot of harm.

Fifth best point differential, third worst record.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Fifth best point differential, third worst record.
    I was just about to post that. Charlotte and Washington's point differential? -5.3 and -8.8, respectively. Ours? +2.0.

It's not that we're a bad team. It's that we just can't finish games. It's not that we're expected to lose these games because we've led by 10+ and should have won all of them. Can anybody honestly say we don't look like the better team out there in the first half of these games? It's too bad I need to start preparing for a loss every time after halftime.

Quote Originally Posted by justinDOHMAN View Post
    sorry the Dun part was serious.

I just made a post in the game thread of how the unathletic big man situation is doing us a lot of harm.
    Yeah. Lack of athleticism is an issue. Lack of scoring consistency is another big problem there. Each guy can have a decent contribution on occasion, but nothing you can count on.

I'd like to think Murphy can regularly give double figures, but he's very up and down. Only 7 FGAs tonight plus it's frustrating how one night he can be red hot and the next have that awkward, jerking release that you know isn't going down.

I find there's two things at play. We again showed our propensity to squander leads and our inability to play a complete game. That could improve as we learn how to combat that.

Conversely, it could just be indicative of the fact that we don't have enough top-flight players to compete with many teams. That was certainly the case tonight.

Wish we had Udonis Haslem to plug in at PF.

-Emiliano Zapata

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Well, Granger had plenty of chances tonight to do something. Two turnovers in crunch time.

I'm not busting on Danny as much as pointing this out to those who were clamoring last night for JOB to get the ball in Danny's hands at crunch time. He just doesn't have all that much juice. Maybe he'll develop something in a year or two, as he seems to always improve every year.

But you can see why JOB has tried many different options down the stretch. It ain't easy with this roster.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Granger at this time isn';t the type of player that you can just give the ball to and tell him to get a shot. so that makes it difficul to give him the ball in the fourth quarter. danny needs the offenive system to get him shots within the system and in the fourth quareter it is much more difficult to "run the offense"

Not sure that makes any sense

Makes plenty of sense, UB, and it's hard to argue with your point. I guess the Million Dollar Question is why running the offense in the fourth is so difficult.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Granger at this time isn';t the type of player that you can just give the ball to and tell him to get a shot. so that makes it difficul to give him the ball in the fourth quarter. danny needs the offenive system to get him shots within the system and in the fourth quareter it is much more difficult to "run the offense"

Not sure that makes any sense
    Makes perfect sense UB. Which is why some of us carp a lot about getting that guy who can make things happen in the 4th. We just will struggle in close games until we find that player.

It is amazing to watch a guy like Wade down the stretch. So in control, so able to make things happen.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    Makes plenty of sense, UB, and it's hard to argue with your point. I guess the Million Dollar Question is why running the offense in the fourth is so difficult.
    Defensive intensity usually at it's most frenzied in the 4th in a close game. Maybe to a lesser degree exhaustion, but Miami played starters heavy minutes and they looked a lot fresher than us down the stretch.

-Emiliano Zapata

Part of it is experience. With experience comes poise.

This team hasn't really played with each other enough to execute when things get tight at the end of games.

There's a certain amount of trust (trust is the wrong word but you get the idea) that can only be developed playing tight games under pressure. Trust in the offense. Trust in the defense. Trust in your teammates.

It takes time.

I'm happy with where things are so far with this team, but don't expect miracles just yet.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

- Jimmy Buffett

Just got home...missed the whole game.

Looks like Flash destroyed us. Had he made his free throws he would have had more than 40. And that's with the flu. Damn. Dude is of course unstoppable, but looks like he broke us in half.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

As much as you can point to things in a loss, simple matter is, we got Wade-ified tonight. We didn't play a bad game... DWade just played out of this world. He took over at the end, made some UNbelievable shots and some great steals.

We get out to fast starts and then fade down the stretch. That's exactly how young inexperienced teams play. We just need time.

streets ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post
    Part of it is experience. With experience comes poise.

This team hasn't really played with each other enough to execute when things get tight at the end of games.

There's a certain amount of trust (trust is the wrong word but you get the idea) that can only be developed playing tight games under pressure. Trust in the offense. Trust in the defense. Trust in your teammates.

It takes time.

I'm happy with where things are so far with this team, but don't expect miracles just yet.
    agreed.

while i've been pretty frustrated with our last two 4th quarters, in the grand scheme i think these issues are correctable.

one thing i would say is that i want the ball in danny's hands more in the 4th quarter. even if he turns it over now, given what we've seen from him year after year, he'll improve with experience.
    This is the darkest timeline.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    As much as you can point to things in a loss, simple matter is, we got Wade-ified tonight. We didn't play a bad game... DWade just played out of this world. He took over at the end, made some UNbelievable shots and some great steals.

We get out to fast starts and then fade down the stretch. That's exactly how young inexperienced teams play. We just need time.
    Again...I didn't see the game.

But Flash had 14 in the last 9 minutes plus assisted on two others of the total 12 points scored by others in the final nine -- meaning he accounted in some way for 18 of the total 26 scored during that span.

But looking at the quarter-by-quarter scores...We gave up 61 points in the 2nd Half.

Obviously, you're not going to win many games that way. Especially when you give up 61 in a half and only score 40.

That's just gross.

And, more fundamentally, I hope any of you who voted anything other than "Strongly Disagree" with Dwyane being overrated are re-evaluating your choice. Dude is a Top 5 player in this League and there's not a debate.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Just wanted to add some disturbing comments that the Heat broadcasters made tonight.

They talked a lot about Dunleavy's injury. They said the problem is bone spurs. They quoted O'Brien as saying "I have heard nothing that makes me think he'll be playing anytime soon." They also used the phrase "potentially career threatening."

Don't shoot the messenger.
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by mellifluous View Post
    They also used the phrase "potentially career threatening."

Don't shoot the messenger.
    I heard that as well on the broadcast as I was leaving my apartment. I tried to ignore it. But it was certainly ingrained on my brain.

Ummmmmmm...Yeah.

NOT COOL.

EDIT: They also said (paraphrasing) that he would take the court after the rest of the team left for conditioning purposes. And he was able to dp normal basketball stuff but it was not the explosion of jumping that was the problem...But every time that he landed from a jump it was really painful and that it was on the landing that the bone spurs really caused him "excrutiating pain" and that's when they threw out the "potentially career ending" nature of the knee situation.

I almost puked.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 11-23-2008 at 02:04 AM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

streets ahead

until Mike says "it won't be long until i can get back on the floor and dominate my position" i will remain hopeful.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    until Mike says "it won't be long until i can get back on the floor and dominate my position" i will remain hopeful.

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If that is true, that would be sad. Dunleavy is a nice guy and someone who knows the game and how to play and would really help this team. Hope it's not career threatening. The very least, could surgery help something like that?

Are the bone spurs in the feet and, if so, what's that got to do with the knee, which I thought was tendinitis?

Wasn't he going through vigorous workouts?

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    I heard that as well on the broadcast as I was leaving my apartment. I tried to ignore it. But it was certainly ingrained on my brain.

Ummmmmmm...Yeah.

NOT COOL.

EDIT: They also said (paraphrasing) that he would take the court after the rest of the team left for conditioning purposes. And he was able to dp normal basketball stuff but it was not the explosion of jumping that was the problem...But every time that he landed from a jump it was really painful and that it was on the landing that the bone spurs really caused him "excrutiating pain" and that's when they threw out the "potentially career ending" nature of the knee situation.

I almost puked.
    Wow....that's really scary. I really hope that he can come back by the beginning of next year.

I'm not a medical guy....so I'm kind of lost. Are Bone spurs a result of Tendinitis that I thought that he had?

Also, does anyone know if his current condition is a result of his workout in NY?

I'm trying to figure out if this was some pre-existing condition that would have occurred regardless of the situation.

Didn't he miss time last year when he worked out in NY as well?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.