Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dunleavy = Class Act

Default Dunleavy = Class Act

Don't know if you guys listen to FM 99.5 or not, but they've been doing a fundraiser all day for sick children. It's kind of like a Make A Wish type event.

Anyways, Dunleavy randomly called in around 5:15pm and pledged several thousand dollars for one girl so she could go down to Disney. He was in the car on his way home from practice and just heard about her on the radio.

It's refreshing to finally have some quality people on this team who really give back to the community.

The DJ asked him about his knee. Mike said he's "getting better everday" and is "real close" to being back.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: Dunleavy = Class Act

“Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Awesome news for the girl. Awesome news for us.

That's amazing.
    Passion. Pride. Patience. Pacers

This guy is going to end up making himself my favorite player.

Dun's awesome.

That's great.

And yet some of you want to trade him..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Makes me glad I decided to get his autograph first out of all the players at the fan jam.

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's refreshing to finally have some quality people on this team who really give back to the community.
    Please don't go there... JO and Jack wouldn't appreciate it.

That being said, sounds like a really nice and genuine gesture by Dunleavy, particularly since it wasn't pre-planned or organized by the Pacers or the NBA (which is how a lot of current players want to get their publicity).

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    Please don't go there... JO and Jack wouldn't appreciate it.
    Almost posted that same thing -- but figured it wasn't even worth it.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Sports Logo

I was about to say even Jamaal wouldn't appreciate it.

But still, Dunleavy did a great thing. I love hearing about stories like this.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mike is the man!

I decided to not wear my Dunleavy jersey until he got back. I will wear it tomorrow because of that.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    And yet some of you want to trade him..
    Yeah, because that's why.

Hey, I'll donate to charity if you promise to sign me to an NBA deal, have ZERO expectations of me on the court, and refuse to trade me due to my kindness.

Sheesh. Let's mix points just a bit more maybe. Is there ANYONE who has questioned Dun and Troy being character guys, especially in public?

Thanks for ruining the chance just to appreciate the guy being a good role model by confusing it with a person's ability to perform at the highest level of their profession.

That being said, sounds like a really nice and genuine gesture by Dunleavy, particularly since it wasn't pre-planned or organized by the Pacers or the NBA (which is how a lot of current players want to get their publicity).
    I agree.

Dunleavy is great on the court as well. I just hate how some of you would give him away for nothing just because he is known for bad defense. How bad could his defense be? I don't think it's that bad that he is worth trading away for expirings which is all some people think he is worth.

I heard this live as well while in the car. Dunleavy was on the Smiley Morning Show the other day (listen to the podcast here: http://wzpl.everyzing.com/viewMedia....il=en&filter=0).

Anyway, Dunleavy called into their telethon and mentioned he was on his way home from practice and mentioned he wanted to help out and help grant a wish (He had already donated a signed jersey that is being raffled off tomorrow) and asked what was needed to take care of the wish. Smiley and his co-host KJ mentioned they needed $3,500 for a young girl so she could go to Disney World and Dunleavy said he was pledging that amount and would take care of it. He then joked that he hoped the girl had a large enough suitcase so he could go too.

A few minutes later Jeff Foster called in and pledged $250 and requested a Willie Nelson song. I guess Jeff didn't know Dunleavy had called in previously and felt a little embarassed upon learning what his pledge was in comparison to Mike's.

Overall, a pretty cool and nice gesture on the part of Mike. Mike's a total class act and a super nice guy and one of the nicest pro athletes I've ever met. I posted about 6 months ago that I ran into Mike at a car dealership in Indy while I was servicing my car and he was with his now wife car shopping. We spoke for a good 5-10 minutes, his wife took our picture and he was as nice as could be then. You can't not but cheer and root for a guy like this. I like that Mike has started to really embrace Indy as he seems to spend a lot of time here and is starting to get more and more involved, which will only help everyone in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    A few minutes later Jeff Foster called in and pledged $250 and requested a Willie Nelson song. I guess Jeff didn't know Dunleavy had called in previously and felt a little embarassed upon learning what his pledge was in comparison to Mike's.
    That's hilarious. Poor guy goes to do a spur-of-the-moment good deed, only to discover he's been outdone.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by JGray View Post
    Dunleavy is great on the court as well. I just hate how some of you would give him away for nothing just because he is known for bad defense. How bad could his defense be? I don't think it's that bad that he is worth trading away for expirings which is all some people think he is worth.
    For nothing, for expirings? Yeah, that's also a request people bring up.

How about for David Lee? How about for a possible lottery pick?
    I've not read a single rational request to trade Dun that involved "punting" him. I wanted to trade him last summer while you could trade high and get another first round pick, prior to JO getting the team Hibbert.

But let's say that JO deal didn't have that pick in it, would trading Dun for Hibbert and perhaps another bench guy been such a bad thing? Hibbert is just as nice a kid as Dun and fills a position that the team needs more of.

Some trades are simply based on adjusting the talent glut to create a smoother overall team. Detlef was a 2nd time 6th man and a current all-star (while Reggie missed the team) when he was traded for defensive ace and passive offensive player Derrick McKey.

You know, because we all hated Detlef's crap attitude.

I heard Tinsley called the telethon too because he misdialed.

Telethon to help sick children - 317-555-5432
    Duncan Donuts Frequent Cusomer Hotline - 317-555-5433

Turn out the lights, this party's over!

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    But let's say that JO deal didn't have that pick in it, would trading Dun for Hibbert and perhaps another bench guy been such a bad thing? Hibbert is just as nice a kid as Dun and fills a position that the team needs more of.
    Seth, I generally agree that trading Dunleavy should not be off limits, and I think that Dunleavy's charitable side is nice, but has little or nothing to do with his basketball future on the team. However, I simply do not think this is near enough value. Hibbert has shown promise, and he might end up being a starter, but the odds on result is that he'll end up being a lesser player than Dunleavy has proven.

While David Lee isn't my dream choice, he's certainly more in the ball park of what I'd want to get back for Dunleavy.

I would love to balance the team more. I think it's a distinct possibility that Dunleavy would be the asset used to do that. However, we shouldn't devalue him just because we have a number of players at his position. We should sell his value to the other team, and expect a good price.

Regardless of how well Daniels has played, I still would like to see him playing less, and I really see almost no chance that he'll be back next year. As long as he's healthy when he returns, I have little doubt that Dunleavy will have a positive impact on the team. It's been discussed how this team needs good players, and Dunleavy is a good player. Now that we've added a few more, I'd like to see us play together as a whole, before we start deciding what the next piece is.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twowa View Post

Lame....
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Lame....
    I mean aren't Cheetos the designated joke snack anyway?

Quick, someone make a Cheetos smiley, just modify the dancing banana.

However, I simply do not think this is near enough value.
    Just a quick and dirty example to make the gist of the point. People suggesting that trading Dun could help the team don't dislike him, and the fact is that there are plenty of other nice guys he could be traded for too.

I'm just sick of people mixing the two items together. If you don't love a player you hate them, if you mention a flaw or trading them you hate them.

It's just childish, even if we are talking HS or college age kids (sadly a lot of times the people like this are nowhere near that young - go hang at Star to find out).
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 11-21-2008 at 05:32 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by 2minutes twowa View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    Lame....
    Yeah, it's Dunkin Donuts. Duh.

Banned

I mean aren't Cheetos the designated joke snack anyway?

Quick, someone make a Cheetos smiley, just modify the dancing banana.

Just a quick and dirty example to make the gist of the point. People suggesting that trading Dun could help the team don't dislike him, and the fact is that there are plenty of other nice guys he could be traded for too.

I'm just sick of people mixing the two items together. If you don't love a player you hate them, if you mention a flaw or trading them you hate them.

It's just childish, even if we are talking HS or college age kids (sadly a lot of times the people like this are nowhere near that young - go hang at Star to find out).

Pluuueese Seth, If I recall weren't you one of Jackson's biggest supporters? I kinda remember the stance that you took when many on this board wanted Jackson traded. Was that childish of you? I read this board more than I post on it, however this stuck out like a sore thumb.

Shut up, poopy pants.

But, yeah, I agree with the overly "with us or against us" stance many people take. I end up defending JO a lot but certainly don't like a lot of his game. Similarly, I probably end up looking like a Danny-trasher a lot just cause I point out his limitations.

It's not a zero-sum game. I can be a huge fan of Danny and criticize him at the same time. There is much nuance in all player assesments.
    Last edited by JayRedd; 11-21-2008 at 06:59 PM.
    Read my Pacers blog:
    8points9seconds.com

Follow my twitter:

@8pts9secs

Quote Originally Posted by JayRedd View Post
    Shut up, poopy pants.

But, yeah, I agree with the overly "with us or against us" stance many people take. I end up defending JO a lot but certainly don't like a lot of his game. Similarly, I probably end up looking like a Danny-trasher a lot just cause I point out his limitations.

It's not a zero-sum game. I can be a huge fan of Danny and criticize him at the same time. There is much nuance in all player assesments.
    I'm sorry...nuance is no longer allowed.