Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

  1. #1
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,755

    Default Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    I always liked Rasho - thought he was a smart player- but he is a lot better than I thought.

    Here is an excellent article from Conrad.

    http://my.nba.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5700026793


    Rasho's best attribute? Nothing. And everything.


    Mike Wells and I were working into the embers of Tuesday night, tying up loose ends after the Pacers' 113-96 victory over Atlanta, when The Indianapolis Star's stellar beat writer interrupted his typing, looked over and asked a question that has been rattling around in my head ever since:

    "What would you say is Rasho Nesterovic's best attribute as a player?"

    I started to answer but realized nothing came to mind. Or better put, everything came to mind. Rasho's greatest strength is that he doesn't have a greatest strength. He does everything pretty well. He's one of the most fundamentally sound big men I've ever seen. On nights like Tuesday, when he racked up 21 points, seven rebounds, five assists, three steals and two blocked shots, it's plain to anyone who watched.

    But nights like these are exceptions. Normally, Rasho's a 10-and-5 guy with a few assists and a blocked shot or two mixed in, not the kind of numbers that get your attention -- unless you happen to really like watching good professional basketball players at work.

    Or, if you're someone who understands and appreciates the game at a level most of us can never begin to approach. Someone like, for example, Jim O'Brien.

    He didn't hesitate at all when I repeated Wells' question to him.

    "I would say his basketball IQ," said the coach. "I think he understands the game of basketball. He understands in particular what we're trying to accomplish offensively. He understands the strengths of his teammates. He understands the weaknesses of his teammates. He's a very, very good communicator.

    "Physically, I'd say his best attribute is probably passing the basketball."

    Which partially explains one other group that truly appreciates Rasho's game: his teammates.

    "He's what you call a good pro," said T.J. Ford, who spent two years with Rasho in Toronto. "He carries himself the way a professional should. He doesn't have a big name. He never has. But if you ask around the NBA, they know he's a solid player."

    There is someone you simply shouldn't ask, though, when the time comes to heap praise upon the 7-foot veteran from Slovenia. That would be the 7-foot veteran from Slovenia.

    So, Rasho, what's your best attribute?

    "I don't think about that," he said. "During the game, you just try to make every pass good, every shot good, every defense good. You are just in the flow of the game."

    How did you feel about your big statistical night?

    "I don't know the box score," he said. "I mean, this is just stats. It means nothing."

    Many have said that. Few mean it. I'll never forget the one player (now retired) who shall remain nameless who looked a TV reporter squarely in the eye, said he never even looked at the box score because stats were for losers. As soon as the reporter turned off his camera and turned to walk away, the player reached under his chair, grabbed the box score and began complaining to the guy in the next locker about how the stat crew missed a couple of his assists.

    Rasho's a guy who means it. It's a big reason he has never been on a team that failed to make the playoffs. You can look it up: five seasons in Minnesota, three (including a title) in San Antonio, two in Toronto, none fell short of the playoffs.

    "Don't think I don't know that," O'Brien said.

    Which brings us to the one statistic that may best explain his game: my beloved plus-minus. In the four games since Rasho has returned from the sprained ankle, the Pacers have outscored their opponents by 54 points when he's been on the floor. When he's been on the bench, the Pacers have been outscored by 41.

    "Lawrence Frank from the Nets told me when we got him that he felt Rasho was one of the most underrated centers in the league," O'Brien said. "He just knows how to play basketball."

    When you get right down to it, that's the most important attribute a player can hope to have.


    Nov 19, 2008 3:41 PM EST

  2. #2

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    Nice article. I hope the Pacers don't break his record of never being on a team that didn't make the playoffs!

  3. #3
    10 - 32 - 50 31andonly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Germany
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,580

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "I don't know the box score," he said. "I mean, this is just stats. It means nothing."

    Many have said that. Few mean it. I'll never forget the one player (now retired) who shall remain nameless who looked a TV reporter squarely in the eye, said he never even looked at the box score because stats were for losers. As soon as the reporter turned off his camera and turned to walk away, the player reached under his chair, grabbed the box score and began complaining to the guy in the next locker about how the stat crew missed a couple of his assists.


    Nov 19, 2008 3:41 PM EST

    Who is this guy?

  4. #4

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    Quote Originally Posted by 31andonly View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who is this guy?
    I would absolutely love to know who that guy is ... really ....

    -- Steve --

  5. #5
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,755

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    Quote Originally Posted by 31andonly View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who is this guy?
    I've heard Bruno tell the story before - and I don't know if he ever has told us who it was. But I think it was from the early to mid 90's right before Larry Brown got there. If someone stuck a gun to my head and told me to make a wild guess, I would say Pooh Richardson - that is a total guess on my part - but I figure it is a point guard and the story came out during that time.

  6. #6
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,302
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    I feel better about the Pacers' win against Atlanta after seeing them beat Washington last night. Marvin Williams is quite the shooter, but Washington really doesn't have a front court to take advantage of Atlanta, but then you'd expect Atlanta not to have as many problems when Washington has to start Dee Brown at PG.

    Rasho not missing the playoffs and his impact on the +/- is quite impressive. The espn video highlights of the Pacers/Hawks game featured a couple of his passes out of the high post for easy baskets. Having a post player that impacts both ends of the court and makes his teammates better is quite nice. The fact his contract is expiring is going to put Bird in a tough spot.

  7. #7
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,079

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    It's wonderful happenstance that our major center prospect has similarities to Rasho: great passer, high BBall IQ, good communicator, good all around but not great in terms of atheticism or one particular quality.

    Rasho could end up being the perfect mentor for Roy.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  8. #8

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    In the four games since Rasho has returned from the sprained ankle, the Pacers have outscored their opponents by 54 points when he's been on the floor. When he's been on the bench, the Pacers have been outscored by 41.
    How can that NOT be significant?
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  9. #9
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,525

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've heard Bruno tell the story before - and I don't know if he ever has told us who it was. But I think it was from the early to mid 90's right before Larry Brown got there. If someone stuck a gun to my head and told me to make a wild guess, I would say Pooh Richardson - that is a total guess on my part - but I figure it is a point guard and the story came out during that time.
    I've heard this story before too, but I don't think it was ever revealed who, but I swear it's from that era, too. First guy I thought of was Jalen, though.

  10. #10
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,525

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    The way Rasho plays is what many of us in Indiana recognize as basketball.

  11. #11
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,992

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The way Rasho plays is what many of us in Indiana recognize as basketball.



    So far Rasho is simply playing his size, playing within his abilities, and he's making the players around him better for it. He's not looking to stuff stats, he's looking to win games and it shows.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  12. #12
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,525

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    So far Rasho is simply playing his size, playing within his abilities, and he's making the players around him better for it. He's not looking to stuff stats, he's looking to win games and it shows.

    -Bball
    Right, basketball.

  13. #13
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,532

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    I used to think that Rasho was an automatic goner next season.....but with the way that he appears to be fitting into JO'Bs offense/defense ( yes, I know...it's just 10 games ), unless there is some FA out there that we can afford that meets all of our needs that TPTB really covet, despite the lack of athleticsm....I can totally see resigning Rasho as an altervative.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  14. #14
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,079

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    Is Rasho restricted or unrestricted?

    Or, to ask another way, is it realistic for us to resign him at significantly lower than his current salary?
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,653

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    I was like most others on the forum when this trade was made.

    "What the heck, we just traded JO for a PG and an expiring contract?" Then thought, well that's okay, we need a decent PG and Ford is one of the quickest. The deal will give us the PG we need and future flexibility against the luxury tax and in acquiring additional players.

    Jeez, I was about as "wrong as wrong can get".

    I'm enjoying Rasho, his game and his professionalism just as much as I've always enjoyed Foster's.

    I admire his attitude... he is entirely about winning.

    Many figured that he was a one-year stopgap to get Hibbert prepared for starting. Let him go after this season or sign-and-trade him to get the PF that we need.

    At this point, considering most of the PFs that we might be able to get, I'd say that we would take a step backwards if we used Rasho for that purpose.

    Many of us liked Brad Miller; he was a center that could give us points and rebounds and size-wise could challenge opposing centers.

    Considering his all-around game, I would have to say that I would take Rasho over Miller.

    I'm glad he's here and I hope like hell we can get him to stay. We'll just have to come up with another way to get us a PF, or we can acquire and develop one through the draft.

  16. #16
    Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Broadripple
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,252

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    If the pacers wanted Rasho they should not have extended Foster. Granger's extension kicks in next year and Jack will be resigned. Unless Rasho wants to sign for the vet minimum, in which case, he could probably go anywhere he wants.

    I just don't see it happening.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

    - ilive4sports

  17. #17
    Well lubricated Skaut_Ech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,389

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was like most others on the forum when this trade was made.

    "What the heck, we just traded JO for a PG and an expiring contract?" Then thought, well that's okay, we need a decent PG and Ford is one of the quickest. The deal will give us the PG we need and future flexibility against the luxury tax and in acquiring additional players.

    Jeez, I was about as "wrong as wrong can get".

    I'm enjoying Rasho, his game and his professionalism just as much as I've always enjoyed Foster's.

    I admire his attitude... he is entirely about winning.

    Many figured that he was a one-year stopgap to get Hibbert prepared for starting. Let him go after this season or sign-and-trade him to get the PF that we need.

    At this point, considering most of the PFs that we might be able to get, I'd say that we would take a step backwards if we used Rasho for that purpose.

    Many of us liked Brad Miller; he was a center that could give us points and rebounds and size-wise could challenge opposing centers.

    Considering his all-around game, I would have to say that I would take Rasho over Miller.

    I'm glad he's here and I hope like hell we can get him to stay. We'll just have to come up with another way to get us a PF, or we can acquire and develop one through the draft.
    I've always liked Rasho. He's one of those guys every team needs, for a lot of the reasons listed above. He's that James Posey, Joe Smith kinda guy. An anchor who's not a star but gives you what you need.

    I remember that there was quite a contingent of people who were dissing Rasho when news of the trade came down with JO. I actually C&P'ed some of the comments, but left the people who spoke them out:

    "But Rasho sucks terribly. I don't even see how he is able to stay in the league."

    "I really hope we trade Rasho."

    "Dude, it's Rasho Nesterovic.

    He doesn't matter."

    "I have no interest in Rasho and only have mild interest in Ford."

    Might be interesting to go back and see what your posted feelings (not you, beast, just fellow posters in general) were about Rasho at the time of the trade compared to now.

    What spurned me going back to look is that I remember some people's harsh comments aboput Rasho. Might just be some of the very people posting in this thread about how much they like Rasho had some, um, comments not quite consistant with current sentiments.

    Yeah, it's great he has an expiring contract, but wouldn't it be nice to have him as insurance next year?
    Hey! What're you kicking me for? You want me to ask? All right, I'll ask! Ma'am, where do the high school girls hang out in this town?

  18. #18
    100 Miles from the B count55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    5,772

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is Rasho restricted or unrestricted?

    Or, to ask another way, is it realistic for us to resign him at significantly lower than his current salary?
    Unrestricted.

    Nobody's going to sign a 33-year old center with Rasho's numbers for $8.4mm

    I would say the max he'd command would be 3 years in the $15-20mm range.

  19. #19
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Unrestricted.

    Nobody's going to sign a 33-year old center with Rasho's numbers for $8.4mm

    I would say the max he'd command would be 3 years in the $15-20mm range.
    $5m per for 3 years? I'd give him that... or $6 for 2.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  20. #20

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    Who cares what any of us thinks? What does Tim Duncan think of Rasho?

    (listen from :15 to :20)
    [yt]FOnsZAcYHYQ[/yt]

    (A tip of the hat to LG33 for first pointing out this clip to us all.)
    And I won't be here to see the day
    It all dries up and blows away
    I'd hang around just to see
    But they never had much use for me
    In Levelland. (James McMurtry)

  21. #21

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    We need to find a way to lengthen his contract IMO. Don't we have some big men over in Europe developing as well? Are they ever coming over?

  22. #22

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    Quote Originally Posted by iPACER View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    The fact his contract is expiring is going to put Bird in a tough spot.

    Yep, especially if Hibbert doesn't progress enough to play major minutes next year.

    My guess is that Bird will try to draft 2 big men in next years draft, although I could see him draft a PG too.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Don't we have some big men over in Europe developing as well? Are they ever coming over?

    Lorbek and Stanko and I wouldn't hold my breath either will ever wear a Pacers uni. My guess they are typical Euro type big men... not the Dale Davis type I'd like to have as a PF.

  24. #24

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Lorbek and Stanko and I wouldn't hold my breath either will ever wear a Pacers uni. My guess they are typical Euro type big men... not the Dale Davis type I'd like to have as a PF.
    I would hope that we at least bring over Stanko, considering we spent a second round pick next year to pick him up. What's the point of trading picks to pick someone up that you won't use?

  25. #25
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,141

    Default Re: Rasho - is a lot better than I thought - pacers.com article

    Rasho is the first real center the Pacers have had since Brad Miller. Yes, he is very solid and underrated. However, I think our perspective is skewed. We have simply been starving for a legitimate starting C for a very long time. We now have a C who is both not a wimp and also capable of scoring the ball...

Similar Threads

  1. Daniels and Rasho Dilemma
    By Justin Tyme in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 10-27-2008, 09:41 AM
  2. Article about recent Pacers moves (Warning: Stats)
    By maragin in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-30-2008, 11:01 PM
  3. Simmons annual post draft article - always a classic
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 06-27-2008, 08:25 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-25-2008, 11:35 PM
  5. Replies: 47
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 08:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •