Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Everybody calm down (Pacers/Bulls Postgame Thread)

Default Everybody calm down (Pacers/Bulls Postgame Thread)

Seriously, give it a rest. It's as if our hot start convinced everybody that we're a 50-win team and anything less is dispicable.

Did anyone really think we were going to hold that pace? We came out with fire, but I expect plenty of ups and downs this season. Not too high after a win, not too low after a loss. All of this "Obie is the worst coach in the NBA" and "Granger is the new JO" just makes you look silly... especially when next week it will be "Granger and LeBron" again.

Rough game tonight, but like UB I never felt like they'd get the win. Plenty of blame to go around, but it's not one I'm going to lose sleep over.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Default Re: Everybody calm down (Pacers/Bulls Postgame Thread)

What about the constant fact that Granger is a small forward who can't register more than 1.9 assists a game? That's an alarmingly low stat for someone who is counted on to create offense - not just for himself - but when you become a #1 option, you have to get opportunities for others as well...

Sports Logo

It was really pathetic that we went ice-cold in the last half of the 4th QTR. I guess I shouldn't be too concerned....but I have that same feeling I had last season when I didn't have any confidence in the team.

I'm still VERY cautiously optimistic....if only because I think that having Dunleavy in the lineup would help alleviate some of the scoring pressure off of Granger, Ford, Marquis and Murphy. I'm not saying that we would have won the game with him in the lineup....but he certainly wouldn't have hurt.
    Last edited by CableKC; 11-15-2008 at 11:58 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by ajbry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about the constant fact that Granger is a small forward who can't register more than 1.9 assists a game? That's an alarmingly low stat for someone who is counted on to create offense - not just for himself - but when you become a #1 option, you have to get opportunities for others as well...
    Ok we understand it. Granger is a scorer, your boy Jackson a chucker. Stephen wins on assists, the rest is for Danny!
    Maceo Baston's #1 fan on Pacers Digest!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It was an off night like Anthem said but I'm not too low about it. There are 82 games in a season and you can't expect the team to be crisp every night.

My thoughts on some of our players:

- Foster could not catch the ball...that could be a problem.

- Rush looked a like shaken out there at first but he got better as the game went on, hit a jump shot, and had a couple of nice putbacks.

- Rasho is just fantastic.

- TJ can create like hell out there but he gets a little too out of control sometimes, and his defense was pretty suspect tonight.

- Danny looked unassertive out there and while I won't throw him under the bus, he had been lauded on this board as a guy who we can just give the ball to and then get out of the way. He's not quite there. He looked tonight like a player worth his contract, no more, no less.

- Jack is pretty solid.

- Marquis Daniels makes all kinds of mistakes out there and is a terrible, terrible shooter. He didn't even drive to the basket against Ben Gordon, who is a huge defensive liability. I wasn't impressed by him at all and if we pick up his option I'll freak out.

We REALLY need Dunleavy's scoring back.

This year is a development season. Lots of ups and downs. At least this year the team is fun to watch and we can see a good future. Disappointing loss, but it is what it is.

Uh oh, the Jax / Runi debates of 2006 return!

I guess tonight is a total retro night

Much better loss then last night lol. Still frustrating. Just a real boring game I think.

Im really marking down the Atlanta Game as a W, in my mind. There cold, lost 3 in a row. On our home floor.

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

streets ahead

basically what anthem said. i am disappointed in some of the play tonight -- but i never think a team can be judged by fewer than 10 games. mid-december gives you a much better sample size.

if we flip-flop wins this season like we have been and hover around .500 that'll be about 7 more wins than i predicted - so i don't have a problem with it.

that being said, if quis never took a shot outside of the blocking/charge arc i'd be a happy dude.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Ford and Jack are forced to make wild shots and throw up prayers because of our lack of someone who can create his own shot.

Danny is good, but he can't create. As has been said many times, he's the perfect second option. Our Pippen has no Jordan.

Can Bayless create? Or maybe we should have drafted that guy who wasn't drafted and scored 38.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Ford and Jack are forced to make wild shots and throw up prayers because of our lack of someone who can create his own shot.
    In fairness to Ford, he was getting hammered tonight with no call. Even the Chicago announcers were talking about how uneven the calls were.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    In fairness to Ford, he was getting hammered tonight with no call. Even the Chicago announcers were talking about how uneven the calls were.
    Maybe a couple. Still, the pattern has been that Ford gets a little wild and throws up stuff now and then. Slick was talking about that.

The play where he got a technical foul, it looked to me like Rose got all ball and the ball was shoved into TJ's eye/face. Ford got injured but it wasn't a foul, imo.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by avoidingtheclowns View Post
    that being said, if quis never took a shot outside of the blocking/charge arc i'd be a happy dude.
    Yeah, it's easy to forget that we're playing all these teams closely without perhaps our best offensive player.

We may be one "shooting guard who can shoot" away from a winning season.

Well, I think everyone knows where I stand. I'd just like to know who, if anyone, is with me.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Maybe a couple. Still, the pattern has been that Ford gets a little wild and throws up stuff now and then. Slick was talking about that.

The play where he got a technical foul, it looked to me like Rose got all ball and the ball was shoved into TJ's eye/face. Ford got injured but it wasn't a foul, imo.
    WGN showed the replay in slow motion. Rose got Ford in the eye with his shoulder and it knocked Ford's concentration off. Definitely should have been a foul. The Chicago announcers even admitted Rose hit him.

Holy **** this season is over. Granger sucks and Ford sucks and Obie sucks.

Chill the **** out.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

Banned

Rush is now 20-60 on the season. It's reached the point that I'm mildly shocked when one of his shots goes in. He's also averaging twice as many turnovers as he is assists. For a 23 year old who was suppose to be NBA-ready, this guy looks pretty bad. Looks like a mid-to-late 1st round talent to me. I have a hunch that once Dunleavy returns, Rush will be glued to the bench.

I thought Troy, Rasho, and to a lesser extent T.J. were the only guys who showed up tonight. The rest just went through the motions.

Tough loss, but look on the bright side: at least we've never used the #2 pick in a good draft to pickup Tyrus Thomas and Viktor Khryapa.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartlandFan View Post
    WGN showed the replay in slow motion. Rose got Ford in the eye with his shoulder and it knocked Ford's concentration off. Definitely should have been a foul. The Chicago announcers even admitted Rose hit him.
    Yeah, I heard the announcers. I just didn't see it. We were all looking at the same thing.

I'm upset that we are beating ourselves more than we are being beat. I don't think our losses can be directly attributable to a lack of talent, but rather a lack of coherence and chemistry. We have seven new players this year, and three of them are major rotation guys, so for this we should expect some growing pains. However, it is both my fear and my expectations that there will be more pain than growth with O'Brien at the helm. I base this opinion not on one game or one week's worth of games, but rather on watching the last ninety games this team has played and noticing a disturbing pattern of poor line-up and timeout decisions. Are our guys in shape? With the exception of a few who are rehabbing from injury, it's clear that the answer is yes, but if the game plan isn't solid, our superior conditioning, which shows most early in the season, will not make a difference against the good teams. This is my opinion. Please feel free to disagree, but do so respectfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Quis View Post
    Tough loss, but look on the bright side: at least we've never used the #2 pick in a good draft to pickup Tyrus Thomas and Viktor Khryapa.
    That draft wasn't that good, imo. And while we didn't do that, we used the #11 pick to trade Jerryd Bayless for Brandon Rush.

"Ford and Jack are forced to make wild shots and throw up prayers because of our lack of someone who can create his own shot."

It's interesting to see people give them that excuse. It's the same thing I was saying about Tinsley as he changed in the public's mind from a pure point guard, to a call his own shot point guard. The truth is the team went from having a lot of people who could help keep the offense moving and work for good shots, to very few people. Ford and Jack are dealing with this now. Without Dunleavy, who can make offense besides them? No one.

It puts them in a position that very few outside of true, bonafide, superstars can handle, to be 100% responsible for everything that gets created on offense. It made Tinsley look like a me first point guard despite being anything but, and now it's making Jack and Ford play a similar way.

Mood

Don't jump off the cliff just yet fellas. We're a young team that has not played together too much, we have what maybe our best scorer out and Ford getting hammered was common in this game. We'll be ok in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Dece View Post
    "Ford and Jack are forced to make wild shots and throw up prayers because of our lack of someone who can create his own shot."

It's interesting to see people give them that excuse. It's the same thing I was saying about Tinsley as he changed in the public's mind from a pure point guard, to a call his own shot point guard. The truth is the team went from having a lot of people who could help keep the offense moving and work for good shots, to very few people. Ford and Jack are dealing with this now. Without Dunleavy, who can make offense besides them? No one.

It puts them in a position that very few outside of true, bonafide, superstars can handle, to be 100% responsible for everything that gets created on offense. It made Tinsley look like a me first point guard despite being anything but, and now it's making Jack and Ford play a similar way.
    A pretty good thought.

I didn't care for Tinsley early on because he just never was an outside threat, and when things heated up at the end of games, the defense simply sagged off him and let him chuck up something.

Tins did have a healthy JO for a couple of years as someone who could create his own shot. Even more effective was Artest for a couple of years. He could really grind something out for us at the end of games. But, yes, the past three years or so there hasn't been much and Tins was forced into a role that perhaps wasn't all that fair. Then the personal stuff and, well, it slid from there.

But perhaps he wouldn't have driven us AS crazy if not forced to create something for a team with no creators. Point well taken.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Ahhhh the sky is falling!!" - Chicken Little

Every time. Can count on it like taxes. We lose, and the negative nancies flock en masse.

Funny stuff.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Danny is good, but he can't create. As has been said many times, he's the perfect second option. Our Pippen has no Jordan.

Can Bayless create? Or maybe we should have drafted that guy who wasn't drafted and scored 38.
    For real... our Pippen has no Jordan??? Well, snap! We just gotta locate our Jordan! Sounds like an easy plan to me!

Are there any good SGs comin' outta North Carolina? Let's tank this year, draft him 3rd, we'll be set.

Better yet, let's suggest a guy we coulda had in the draft who has played in a total of two games for a total of 20 minutes off Portland's bench... mostly during garbage time. HE'S THE ANSWER AND WE MADE A MISTAKE. CRAP.

/sarcasm off. I hope you were joking.