Thread: 'Indiana's Granger Era Set To Begin' by Bill Ingram on Hoopsworld.com

Default 'Indiana's Granger Era Set To Begin' by Bill Ingram on Hoopsworld.com

http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=10560

When the Indiana Pacers traded Jermaine O'Neal to the Toronto Raptors this summer it signaled the end of an era for the team. O'Neal helped the team recover from the retirement of Reggie Miller, though injuries prevented him from taking them back to the Eastern Conference Finals. In fact, after the 2004-05 season it was almost like the team lost both superstars - Miller to retirement and O'Neal to injuries.

The Pacers may now be ready to put those frustrations behind them as they usher in the Danny Granger era.

"Danny can put up some big numbers," says TJ Ford, who came over in the trade with Toronto. "He's definitely the guy the Pacers are building the team around and he's a big part of the future of this franchise. I think they did a good job with him from the time he came out of college and he's been improving his game constantly. He's definitely one of the premier up-and-coming players in the NBA. It's an opportunity that he's taking full advantage of and I definitely enjoy playing with him."

"He's definitely the leader of the team," agrees Rasho Nesterovic, who also came over in the trade. "He's our franchise player and he's going to have to accept that role and give it everything he has. We all have to support him in that, try to be good teammates, and make his job easier. If we make his job easier it will make everybody's job easier. When you win everything is easier. People only remember winners, so if we want to do something meaningful we have to win."

Granger feels his team, which started the 2008-09 season with a win over the defending champion Boston Celtics, is definitely up to the challenge.

"I definitely think we're a playoff team," says Granger, who's averaging 25.3 points per game through six. "We were only a game out of the playoffs last year, so we were right there. There were a lot of games we should have won last year, but we just let them get away. If we can just finish games better this year we should not only make the playoffs, but do some damage once we get there."

It's a long road from November to April and the playoffs, but the Pacers look like a team that can make some hay in the Eastern Conference this year. The trade and the draft added some nice pieces to team that just missed the postseason last year. As much as the team will look to Granger to lead them, they also know it takes a team to win.

"Danny's a very good player, but we have a lot of good players here and we really want to be a complete team," says GM David Morway. "Danny's very important to us, Mike Dunleavy's very important to us, and we're developing a lot of young players. I think Danny's really come along over the last three years and we're excited about his future. The objective now is to build a culture of 'team' around him and to win as a team."

"It can't just be one person," agrees Dunleavy. "We're a well-built team from top to bottom and it's not going to do us any good if just one guy has a big year. It's going to take a lot of effort from everybody and hopefully Danny can have the same type of year that he has last year. But to put all of the expectations on one person's shoulders would be too much."

While it certainly takes a team to win, a successful team needs a visionary leader who believes in his teammates and in his team's ability. Granger fits that description to a T.

"I think this season is a great opportunity for us," he says. "We didn't make the playoffs last year and normally we've been a pretty good playoff team. This is a good organization, so this is a good time for us to prove what we can do. We have a lot of new faces coming together, so this is going to be an exciting year."

Not many people are talking about the Pacers early on, and Rasho Nesterovic's ankle injury has prevented the team from hitting on all cylinders since their second game. Rasho's due back this week and all indications are that the Pacers are ready to embark on a serious playoff run. The fact that they'll do it as underdogs suits Granger just fine.

"We're not being talked about much and no one is really expecting much from us. We really don't pay much attention to the media. I always say the media is about selling papers and doesn't have much to do with what we're actually doing. We're going to let our game speak for itself, but we are definitely relishing the idea of being underdogs. We love it!"

If they can get healthy and resume the breakneck pace they set during preseason, the Danny Granger edition of the Indiana Pacers won't be underdogs for long.

Default Re: 'Indiana's Granger Era Set To Begin' by Bill Ingram on Hoopsworld.com

Nice story and I hope Granger can keep putting up this year. A cramp last game though??? Not sure about that one.

Granger's got the tools, he's just got to use them. And something that stars do in this league is play consistent. I think that is what will get him to the next level, along with making others around him better. I believe he will be an all-star this year, although Forward can be a tough position to get into.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Default Re: 'Indiana's Granger Era Set To Begin' by Bill Ingram on Hoopsworld.com

Good article.

One quibble: it's not clear who is being quoted in the last three paragraphs. I assume it's Granger.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by Phildog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice story and I hope Granger can keep putting up this year. A cramp last game though??? Not sure about that one.

Granger's got the tools, he's just got to use them. And something that stars do in this league is play consistent. I think that is what will get him to the next level, along with making others around him better. I believe he will be an all-star this year, although Forward can be a tough position to get into.
    I will never question Granger's toughness after watching him come back to finish the Boston game just minutes after detonating his chicklets. He had to be in some serious pain, even if short-lived, not to have played last night. Hopefully it was just a cramp.

My guess is coach seen him with some discomfort and since we were playing NJ he thought it would be best just for him to sit one out.

Either way it got him some rest and the team still put a spankin on New Jersey.

Once again, I like hearing what the team is saying. It's not all me, me, me.... "I'm gonna dominate and get back to All Star form".

It's players talking about their teammates in positive and constructive words and tones.

These players seem to have each other's respect. That's not something we've seen for a while. Also, they seemed committed to basketball and the Indiana Pacers.

Obviously, it's early and it doesn't take a brain surgeon to know how to say the right things but there are no caveats or slip-ups either that make you doubt their sincerity.

I want to believe...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Sports Logo

I love the quote from Rasho. You can tell he's been through it all and knows what it takes. It's just so great to have somebody like that on this team.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just like that this is the 2nd story posted today on D.Granger & this team. Seems that maybe others are seeing what we are all seeing - a star & a team, both on the rise!
    LB & JM gotta live stories like this!
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I like when he says "superstars" when talking about Reggie and the old JO.. They never really did get that respect, but thinking back, ya, they were superstars.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Representin'

We've had a lot of talk if Dunleavy should be traded for a PF/C. I guess Moreway answered that questions for us:
    "Danny's very important to us, Mike Dunleavy's very important to us, and we're developing a lot of young players. I think Danny's really come along over the last three years and we're excited about his future. The objective now is to build a culture of 'team' around him and to win as a team."
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.